* * * * * 2 votes

Hearthstone: CAG-Style

#31 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

As promised, I put together a rudimentary excel spreadsheet so that CAG Hearthstoners can met up for friendlies: http://1drv.ms/1hlxxyb

If you want me to add you (or to add additional information about you), just leave the following information in this thread and I'll update the sheet:

• HS Name (battle.net tag)
  • Real Name (optional)
  • Location (city or state)
  • Highest Rank Achieved
  • Favorite Hero(es)

Hope this is useful to some of you.  Take care.

#32 langdon_alger   Phlebitis! CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

langdon_alger

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:31 AM

do you get gold or quest progress for playing friendlies against people on your friends list?

#33 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Nope, it'd be a bit too easy to game the system if they did that. 

I just thought it'd be nice to have some friendlies to try out decks and talk strategy with no pressure.  I also figured it'd be nice if people could see if other players are in their area to possibly meet up at one of those "Fireside Gatherings."  Lastly, and I'm talking way down the line, if we had enough interest, we could try to do a CAG Hearthsone Tourney or something.

#34 Ltrain23   Luigi Death Stare CAGiversary!   1675 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Well, as much as I like this game, it's burning me out because I'm either fuck ing horrible at it, or my arena cards suck a**. I just went two straight runs without a win, and in 5 of the 6 losses, my opponent played a legendary. I have yet to see a single legendary in my arena draft. Not sure what else to do, because I want to keep playing, but there are plenty of other games that won't piss me off this much.

#35 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Well, as much as I like this game, it's burning me out because I'm either Fuck ing horrible at it, or my arena cards suck a**.

Some tips for picking arena cards:

You want cards that are guaranteed to be good at some point in every game.  It doesn't have to be good all the time, but it needs to be good in every game -- the last thing you want in the arena is to draw a dead card.  You don't want to pick cards that rely on the composition of your deck, since you can't control that (eg. don't pick murloc cards).  Cards like molten giant are OK (cost = current hp - 10), since they'll be good at some point, but having one in your hand early can still screw you over a bit.  Arena is generally more minion-heavy than constructed, so any minions that have battlecries that buff other minions are usually excellent picks.  A card draw or two isn't bad, if there's no other great card to pick.  Most weapons are great; as a byproduct, that makes acidic swap ooze (battlecry = destroy opponent's weapon) great (it's still guaranteed to be an OK card, even without the battlecry).  When you get down to the last 10-15 picks, you want to start trying to fill in gaps in your hand -- you want to have a good amount of 2-drops (cards that are good to play turn 2), for example.  For most cards, especially ones that are only good conditionally, you generally don't want duplicates, unless they're great arena cards to begin with.  There's nothing wrong with minions without any text in arena (eg. the 4/5 chillwind yeti is a popular pick in arena).  AoE can be a game changer in the minion-heavy arena -- if you're a mage, pick flamestrike, if you're a paladin, pick consecration, etc.  Since arena is minion heavy, you generally want cards that maintain board control rather than deal damage directly to the hero -- a battlecry or a spell that deals x damage to the opponent's hero is generally useless in arena.  Along those same lines, charge usually isn't that great, although it can still be used for board control if it's low cost or has high health, so it's not terrible.  It can be good to have a little bit of card removal, just in case you do see that legendary; although, tbh, legendaries usually aren't that big of game changers -- if you're ahead, they're going to put you a little bit more ahead, but if you're behind, they usually don't save you.  In any case, though, it never hurts to have a silence card, or a card like polymorph, hex, assassinate, or shadow word death to take care of them or other powerful minions.

Anyone have anything I neglected to mention?

#36 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

I have been too timid to try the Arena after the initial freebie - I won my first game and then had to exit to do something IRL.  I play casual and I seem to win about 60% of the time which is pretty good I guess.  I've only opened about 5 or 6 decks so I don't have a lot of cards (no legendary).  I need to play the daily quests more consistently to build up some coin.

#37 Ltrain23   Luigi Death Stare CAGiversary!   1675 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have been too timid to try the Arena after the initial freebie - I won my first game and then had to exit to do something IRL.  I play casual and I seem to win about 60% of the time which is pretty good I guess.  I've only opened about 5 or 6 decks so I don't have a lot of cards (no legendary).  I need to play the daily quests more consistently to build up some coin.

Even if you exit the arena, you can still go back in and complete your run. You don't have to do it all in one sitting.

#38 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

madcatz gives some solid advice.  There are also some great arena picking guides (created by professionl players/streamers) on liquidhearth.com

#39 cookgamer  

cookgamer

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

Really cool part is that you dont need to spend a penny to compete with others :)

#40 Ltrain23   Luigi Death Stare CAGiversary!   1675 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

Really cool part is that you dont need to spend a penny to compete with others :)

That's the part that I need to remember after playing a round in the arena and getting knocked out with pyroblast on back to back turns.

#41 cookgamer  

cookgamer

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

That's the part that I need to remember after playing a round in the arena and getting knocked out with pyroblast on back to back turns.

This might be annoying same as mind control...

#42 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

So deck building is definitely necessary to win. I was getting killed all the time by cards I've never seen and it was frustrating so I decided to put together a few decks. I have no idea what I'm doing but I became immediately competitive again.

#43 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

#44 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

So deck building is definitely necessary to win. I was getting killed all the time by cards I've never seen and it was frustrating so I decided to put together a few decks. I have no idea what I'm doing but I became immediately competitive again.

For sure.  You can even be fairly successful without any legendary cards.  That's not to say you can do so with all basic (or even common) cards, though.  Basically every deck needs to have the right few rares (and perhaps even an epic) to make it sync.

I'm saving my dust to craft legendaries, for example, but I could probably get a lot higher on the ladder right now if I used it to create a couple of rares.

#45 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

I have no legendary cards and I got smoked by one for the first time playing casual. Some 8/8 dragon that summoned 1/1 minions with charge until the board was full.

#46 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

I have no legendary cards and I got smoked by one for the first time playing casual. Some 8/8 dragon that summoned 1/1 minions with charge until the board was full.

He/she must've had a Warsong Commander out or something.  Those regularly don't have charge.

#47 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

Yeah, Onyixa summons the whelps, but not with charge.  Javery, there is a lot of controversy about the process of "netdecking," but if you go to hearthhead.com you can see a lot of decks that people use.  Many of them are successful and use nothing but "free" cards.

#48 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

I've been decently successful just randomly making my own decks but I'll check out some premade ones for sure.  I try stacking with lower mana cards (0-3) and then add a bunch (8 or so cards) from 4+ that mostly have Taunt.  So far so good although when I get a bad deal in the beginning and can't play any cards for a while because they are all 4+ mana I usually lose.  I've been slowly unlocking cards by buying packs for 100 Gold - I haven't paid for anything so I don't have any legendaries yet.

#49 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

I disagree with almost everything in this post.  I love the fact that there's no trading (love, love, love). 

Can you please explain what is so great about having to trade 4 for 1 rather than 1 for 1 on average and not being able to cash out if you decided you no longer wish to play the game.

#50 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Can you please explain what is so great about having to trade 4 for 1 rather than 1 for 1 on average and not being able to cash out if you decided you no longer wish to play the game.

It's a free to play game.  The economy has to be tilted towards "the house" to make it work.  As for "cashing out," I'm not familiar with any f2p digital game that allows for cashing out.

#51 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

Can you please explain what is so great about having to trade 4 for 1 rather than 1 for 1 on average and...

Sure.  Their blog post on the matter pretty much sums it up:

http://us.battle.net...trust-6-20-2013

In addition to everything they talk about in that post, I like earning my cards myself.  I don't like feeling like I'm at a disadvantage if I don't frequent trading forums, making sure I have "friends" in high places and being part of "elite" communities, and cheat and/or game the system by multi-accounting and other means.

...and not being able to cash out if you decided you no longer wish to play the game.

because real money trade sucks.  Sucks hard.

Just got my first legendary, btw (in a card pack).  The Black Knight.  Pretty awesome.

#52 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

I've been slowly unlocking cards by buying packs for 100 Gold - I haven't paid for anything so I don't have any legendaries yet.

I really recommend not buying card packs, but instead doing the arena.  Even if you lose every single game, you still come out with a card pack and 25+ gold/dust or an extra card.  2-3 wins and you're basically guaranteed to break even.  And it places you on the exact same playing field as everyone else.  And the more you'll play, the better you'll get.  If you can get to 7 wins, you'll get your entire buyin back, plus lots of other rewards.

#53 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

It's a free to play game.  The economy has to be tilted towards "the house" to make it work.  As for "cashing out," I'm not familiar with any f2p digital game that allows for cashing out.

There are ways to tilt it torwads the house well still letting you trade and sell stuff(see steam). I'm sure there are (wasn't there some fps going around where you could by and sell equipment?) and even if there aren't is that a reason to not do it?

Sure.  Their blog post on the matter pretty much sums it up:

http://us.battle.net...trust-6-20-2013

I wouldn't use blizzards post as a reason as it's kind of tottally bullshit. Do you  really expect the company that made that choice, to only make points that can stand on their own?

1. Blizzards system only make it easier to get cards if you are building one deck, if you want to be able to adapt to the meta or play mutlitple decks (basically to be competitive) you are going to need most of the cards which means you're going to have to open far more packs than if you could trade.

This is espiscally true as Blizzard can easily change cards after they're printed to correct their power, meaning the vaule of the cards would be in a closer range than in a CCG like magic.

2. Just because you allow for trades doesn't mean that you can't have a sink in your econnomy if cards could simply be scrapped for a few gold or they keep the dust crafting system but instead of crafting cards you crafted "hats" or access to something it would keep the vaule of cards from bottoming out.

3. The argument that is quicker to get cards is rather fallacious, sure once you grind for enough cards it's easy to exchange them, but your going to spend much more time grinding when the trades are always 4:1.

Also if the simply had a market you'd be able change cards into gold and back almost as fast.

In addition to everything they talk about in that post, I like earning my cards myself.  I don't like feeling like I'm at a disadvantage if I don't frequent trading forums, making sure I have "friends" in high places and being part of "elite" communities, and cheat and/or game the system by multi-accounting and other means

You're already at a disadvantage if you're not spending hundreds of dollars or hundred of hours gridning, I'm not seeing how trading puts you at more of a disadvantage than that. Basically you have a system now where you get ripped off in every trade.

because real money trade sucks.  Sucks hard.

So if you decide you no longer want to play the game it's much better to get nothing than to get money??

I really recommend not buying card packs, but instead doing the arena.  Even if you lose every single game, you still come out with a card pack and 25+ gold/dust or an extra card.  2-3 wins and you're basically guaranteed to break even.  And it places you on the exact same playing field as everyone else.  And the more you'll play, the better you'll get.  If you can get to 7 wins, you'll get your entire buyin back, plus lots of other rewards.

I'd actully recommend against the arena unless you have alot of free time or particully enjoy it, well it may be a more effecient use of your gold spending an hour to be up 25 gold is not an effecient use of time.

#54 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'd actully recommend against the arena unless you have alot of free time or particully enjoy it, well it may be a more effecient use of your gold spending an hour to be up 25 gold is not an effecient use of time.

You forgot that the game is actually fun to play for some of us.

My last two arena runs, I went 8-3 (paladin) and 9-3 (druid).  For a total of 300 gold, I got a return of: 445 gold, 2 card packs, and 2 golden cards.  And you know what?  I actually had fun doing it.

#55 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

I cannot connect to Hearthstone right now. It is super annoying! Anyone else having problems?

#56 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

I cannot connect to Hearthstone right now. It is super annoying! Anyone else having problems?

There was a queue when I tried to log in.  First time I've seen that (It seems to be shared between all battle.net games, but I've never played any other ones recently).  Was having trouble connecting at first (probably about the time you posted your post), but then was able to log in and had no problems playing a couple of games.

#57 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

You forgot that the game is actually fun to play for some of us.

My last two arena runs, I went 8-3 (paladin) and 9-3 (druid).  For a total of 300 gold, I got a return of: 445 gold, 2 card packs, and 2 golden cards.  And you know what?  I actually had fun doing it.

I enjoy the game but I don't enjoy the arena.

The ranked games were fine but the drafting is terrible, they inject way too much luck into it. The classes are not balanced, which wouldn't be a problem if the class choice weren't semi random. The quality of the cards varies from godly to complete crap, and as all the cards are random rather than passed to you from other players you can't table cards or move into strategies that are open rather you have to hope a specific strategy just work out or more realistically just always take the same universally good card. As all the games are best of ones and you get no information about your opponents deck list it's impossible to prepare a tailored game plan. Also the best of one means that you're going to end up losing to a lot of bad decks simply because of a bad opening hand/mulligan or they have a combo that they get off one every 3 games.

#58 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

*Bump* For any folks that might be getting into Hearthstone now that the new season is starting (or due to the recent iPad release):

As promised, I put together a rudimentary excel spreadsheet so that CAG Hearthstoners can met up for friendlies: http://1drv.ms/1hlxxyb

If you want me to add you (or to add additional information about you), just leave the following information in this thread and I'll update the sheet:

• HS Name (battle.net tag)
  • Real Name (optional)
  • Location (city or state)
  • Highest Rank Achieved
  • Favorite Hero(es)

Hope this is useful to some of you.  Take care.

#59 Ltrain23   Luigi Death Stare CAGiversary!   1675 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

• ltrain23#1998
  • MN
  • Mage, Priest, Rogue

#60 Voken   I was PROMISED taco trucks on every corner! CAGiversary!   1252 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Voken#1125

OH

Warrior & Shaman