Hearthstone: CAG-Style

I would LOVE to have the Pally legendary.  It is my favorite class to play and I'm missing a pretty important card.  I can't justify creating it though because there are so many neutrals I don't have either (Ragnaros, Thalnos, Cairne, etc.).

I actually made a faceless manipulator out of it, didn't have one and wanted to start using one. Still learning pally decks. Mainly play Druid Mage and my favorite, priest!

The first wing of Naxx is up, in case anyone hasn't noticed yet. It didn't automatically give me a push notification on iPad. I went into downloaded apps under the App Store and clicked "update" on Hearthstone.

Some of these cards are fresh and interesting.  That nerubian egg has already provided some interesting moments.  The AI playing it on turn 2 when I had my hunter snipe secret out was a lol moment.  Also made me hold back Stampeding Kodo, and I've already had deadly shot randomly target it with like 5 minions on the board.

Echoing ooze is kind of interesting, too.  Had 5 2/3 taunts of them at one point (with the help of defenders of argus, shadowsteps, youthful brewmasters, and the AI using their return-minion-to-hand hero power) during one of the class challenges.  I think the deck they give you was pretty much designed for that, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the fact that daily challenges don't count towards Naxxramas one bit.  I call BS on that one; it's the equivalent of Achievements not unlocking while playing co-op or multiplayer.

Finished wing 1, not very fun.  Lots of spiders and slime.  Also noticed the class challenge pre-made decks are set for Arena rules, I KNOW the AI threw down at least 3-4 spider cards and I got at least 3 slimes from the deck in one game.  It would have been nice of them to at least let us see our deck before beginning the game.

Just finished the first wing today, the heroic wing is pretty fun and frustrating at the same time. The 2nd boss wasn't too bad, but the 1st and 3rd were a bit of a challenge. Ended up beating the first boss with a taunt deck, rush deck with the 2nd boss, and a heal/rush deck for the 3rd. 

Each wing is suppose to be harder than the last right? I'll be looking forward to those.

I finished as well.  The second heroic boss gave me the most trouble.  Up until then I was undefeated with my Paladin deck I play in ranked.  I initially thought the last boss was impossible until I figured out the right deck to play and got a decent draw.  All I used was Earthen Farseer, voodoo Doctor and my heal (I was a Priest).  The trick was getting the boss to have a field of 7 one-attack minions and then drawing into fatigue.  The 2 minions plus Hero Power is 6 mana for 7 health so it is a stalemate and you can sprinkle in Mind Blast and then when Leeroy hits you just play that 5 or 6 times in a row for the win.  I really like Naxx so far...

The new Stoneskin Gargoyle card is going to be SICK.  It is a 1/4 that heals itself after every turn - using it in the Druid class challenge with Mark of the Wild and Defender of Argus made it basically unkillable.  Once you buff the health into the 7-8 range unless the opponent has a Hex or Polymorph or something you are going to be in good shape.

yeah.. I don't run a silence in my main Paladin deck but I've been tempted to include an owl in there.  The timing has to be perfect for it to be really effective though.

Well the 2nd wing was pretty fun. Noth was the hardest heroic boss for me, ended up having to use the cheesy buff 1 minion priest deck ~_~. I thought loatheb would be hard, but man he's really asking for it with the spores.

Noth was easy with a decent warrior deck. Lots of weapons and minions that could take 6 or more damage. I used priest on Loatheb for a second turn Shadow Word: Pain. Don't remember who I used on Heigen, but I know I used his power on my eggs, and kept a stoneskin gargoyle on the left after that

Getting 2x Maexxna and 2x The Beast on the hunter challenge was kind of cute.
I actually threw my new Webspinners into my ranked Hunter deck for 1 match to see how they would play, and when they died, they both gave me The Beast. I was laughing as I felt the need to apologize profusely when my opponent couldn't clear the Rhino I played on turn 5.

Had them in my ranked hunter deck up until yesterday, basically just for the card draw.  Took them back out for Leper Gnomes, though.  My hunter deck is kind of different than most, though.  I don't run many beasts, and it was too important for me to be able to whittle my opponent's health down during the first 5-6 turns.

I have suddenly got addicted to this damn game after ignoring it for so long. I'm not that great but I'm starting to learn what works and what doesn't. Got a few legs from Arena packs and some regular packs but getting addicted badly. I'm also loving how Arena lets you play decks that are impossible (i.e. 3 of the same card) and you also get exposure to the classes without there being that Legendary advantage that seems to pop up. Pretty cool! 

Just finished teh 3rd wing. It felt a bit underwhelming, the instructor and four horsemen were pretty easy even on heroic. The shaman card though  :drool:, deathrattle deck incoming

I would enjoy the game more if it weren't for my average internet setup (occasionally my connection shuts off and shows as local network only).  I have also gotten disconnected and reconnect failed to get me back into the game.  I have lost a few games thanks to this.  Also have had lag screw me over (turn ended before attack even though I dragged minion arrow or my own spell targeted my hero etc).  I would like to know why cpu usage varies each session - either 90%+ or under 20%.

I've only opened the 2 packs I received from quests and have yet to do arena (entered just to clear the quest slot).  I've been playing for about a month in casual and imo have been doing fairly well with purely basic decks (have ventured into ranked last month to get the card back for rank 20).  Mage, Paladin, and Shaman are my most used heroes as all are above level 20.  I have a bit over 100 wins and total level of around 150.

Some people seem to not really have any strategy as I have encountered a decent amount of Legendary cards and have still won.  I got matched up against a Warlock twice in a row and beat him both times; second time he threw out Jaxx and I killed him on my turn.  I have yet to encounter a Rogue that achieved a miracle (I saw one with Gadget Auctioner which I immediately took out).  I really enjoy being down the whole game then somehow turn it around and win with less than 10hp when I somehow dish out 20+

Regarding Naxx not sure if anyone's crazy like me but I've been having trouble with the 2nd wing on Heroic using only basic cards (basic set as in no expert/Naxx).  If anyone has done this I would like to know strategy.  I have only tried fighting Noth using Warrior (got to under 10 hp and had lethal only to find out he had Ice Block) and Priest.  The 1st wing on Heroic using basic only wasn't that bad.

Just found out that even though you can PLAY Naxx wings in any order, you have to BUY them in proper order.  Disappointed yet again with Naxx.  I was planning on buying 1,2,&5.  Now I'll be skipping anything past 2.

Just found out that even though you can PLAY Naxx wings in any order, you have to BUY them in proper order. Disappointed yet again with Naxx. I was planning on buying 1,2,&5. Now I'll be skipping anything past 2.
You have to beat the first 4 to unlock the 5th. I'm not sure that you have to buy the first 4 in order, though (but maybe so).

You need the cards from all wings to be competitive though...
Hey Javery, is that your Battle Net tag as well? If so, we played a Warlock mirror match the other day... small odds, but I figured I'd ask, since I recognized the name right away when I was playing. :lol:

That was probably me!  I play a lot of Warlock (not zoo), Paladin and Druid.  Did I win?  I mainly mess around with funny decks - my Warlock doesn't have a great win rate but when I can make some of the stuff happen with void terror, ancient watcher, nerubian egg, power overwhelming and Thaddius it is really fun to play.

I wasn't being sarcastic above - the Naxx cards are all over the place right now.  Of course, you don't really need them and can make really competitive decks out of the other cards but I think the more options the better and if you play Hearthstone regularly you should really make an effort to pick up the Naxx cards somehow.  They do make a difference - especially something like Sludge Belcher who I think is one of the best cards in the game right now.

That was probably me! I play a lot of Warlock (not zoo), Paladin and Druid. Did I win? I mainly mess around with funny decks - my Warlock doesn't have a great win rate but when I can make some of the stuff happen with void terror, ancient watcher, nerubian egg, power overwhelming and Thaddius it is really fun to play.
Saw someone do a void terror + Feugen + Stalagg the other day. A 14/14-, and two 11/11s? Yes please.

On that thought...Brawl + Fuegen + Stalagg would be just as hilarious. You'd be hoping that one of the opponent's minions got picked.

That was probably me! I play a lot of Warlock (not zoo), Paladin and Druid. Did I win? I mainly mess around with funny decks - my Warlock doesn't have a great win rate but when I can make some of the stuff happen with void terror, ancient watcher, nerubian egg, power overwhelming and Thaddius it is really fun to play.

I wasn't being sarcastic above - the Naxx cards are all over the place right now. Of course, you don't really need them and can make really competitive decks out of the other cards but I think the more options the better and if you play Hearthstone regularly you should really make an effort to pick up the Naxx cards somehow. They do make a difference - especially something like Sludge Belcher who I think is one of the best cards in the game right now.
The tag was Javery, you did win, I added you afterwards and you had added me back for a little, but by the time I got back on you were gone!

Small world!

What has everyone been playing post-nerf?  I considered trying out control pally but to be quite honest I don't think I'm skilled enough to pull it off.  For a while I've been playing ramp druid, and I have recently switched to a comboless version that has found mixed success.  With the leeroy/buzz nerf, I decided to craft a Grom and try out control warrior finally.  all I'm missing are the brawls, which I could craft, but I've found some decent decks without them for now.  I'm tempted to also craft Alex, but I kind of want to wait and craft an Al'Akir to give Shaman a go.

What has everyone been playing post-nerf? I considered trying out control pally but to be quite honest I don't think I'm skilled enough to pull it off. For a while I've been playing ramp druid, and I have recently switched to a comboless version that has found mixed success. With the leeroy/buzz nerf, I decided to craft a Grom and try out control warrior finally. all I'm missing are the brawls, which I could craft, but I've found some decent decks without them for now. I'm tempted to also craft Alex, but I kind of want to wait and craft an Al'Akir to give Shaman a go.
Hit the ceiling of skill with my Rogue/Leeroy/miracle deck when I started to get recked with it.Nerf didn't really affect me since I got rid of it and I don't really play Hunter.Decided to rebuild decks and now I have the strongest Paladin deck and an okay Mage,Warlock.Need to work on my Druid deck.Tossing around ideas in my head for a new Paladin deck, maybe it'll work for other classes aswell but I won't know that until I get the cards.

I don't really do arena at all,no need.I think I figured out how Hearthstone dishes out Legendaries.It's definitely based the cards your opponent plays.I haven't come to a full theory but that is a huge part of how Hearthstone gives out Legendaries.Maybe there some other factors like opponent deck,win lose ration,how many times you encounter a card. I played against someone with a gold Al'Akir in casual and after he beat me I bought 8 packs. Got me a gold Al'Akir that way. Recent aquisition was Lorewalker Cho but I don't remember who played that card against me.So buy packs after you fight someone with legendaries.

Hit the ceiling of skill with my Rogue/Leeroy/miracle deck when I started to get recked with it.Nerf didn't really affect me since I got rid of it and I don't really play Hunter.Decided to rebuild decks and now I have the strongest Paladin deck and an okay Mage,Warlock.Need to work on my Druid deck.Tossing around ideas in my head for a new Paladin deck, maybe it'll work for other classes aswell but I won't know that until I get the cards.

I don't really do arena at all,no need.I think I figured out how Hearthstone dishes out Legendaries.It's definitely based the cards your opponent plays.I haven't come to a full theory but that is a huge part of how Hearthstone gives out Legendaries.Maybe there some other factors like opponent deck,win lose ration,how many times you encounter a card. I played against someone with a gold Al'Akir in casual and after he beat me I bought 8 packs. Got me a gold Al'Akir that way. Recent aquisition was Lorewalker Cho but I don't remember who played that card against me.So buy packs after you fight someone with legendaries.
Nice avatar :)

I am not sure how legendaries are given but I used to play arena all the time and was getting two decks a day from it. I can't even remember the last time I got a legendary through arena.

In regards to what I play, I just built a control warlock deck (handlock, I think) and I love it. I am slowly moving up the ranks. I think it is one of the decks where the leeroy nerf didn't matter much.

Does anyone know if the game is supposed to release on iphone and android phones at the same time? I think they are first going to get it out on android tablets, however I am curious about the phone release dates. I am up for a new phone and if it comes out on iphones first, that may be enough to persuade me to get an iphone.

I'm on a Hearthstone hiatus.  Blame Destiny.  If anybody is using and/or would like to take over the CAG Hearthstone spreadsheet I established, just let me know.

Take care...

I'm on a Hearthstone hiatus. Blame Destiny. If anybody is using and/or would like to take over the CAG Hearthstone spreadsheet I established, just let me know.

Take care...
I didn't know that there was a spreadsheet. What does this spreadsheet have on it? If it has info for the public, maybe put it on google docs and make it public so it can be updated by everyone? I would also update your original post, since it doesn't even mention a spreadsheet.

I didn't know that there was a spreadsheet. What does this spreadsheet have on it? If it has info for the public, maybe put it on google docs and make it public so it can be updated by everyone? I would also update your original post, since it doesn't even mention a spreadsheet.
You got it...I'll do it when I get home from work.

I haven't played Hearthstone yet, but its definitely on my list after browsing through the thread. I've been seeing a lot about the upcoming World Championship — I guess I've been missing out on something pretty big?! Anyone competing?

Man, playing against a freeze mage can be so frustrating.  Basically just stall all game, then alex + unload your hand of spells for gg.  Once Alex comes out, without a heal you can pretty much have everything spot on and you still lose if you don't manage to have lethal in the next turn or two.

I haven't played Hearthstone yet, but its definitely on my list after browsing through the thread. I've been seeing a lot about the upcoming World Championship — I guess I've been missing out on something pretty big?! Anyone competing?
It's growing pretty fast as a competitive video game. I think it may be third in terms of the money makers in"esports". Dota being on top with I believe starcraft 2 second but slowly losing it's fan base. There is quite a bit of skill involved but there is a lot of "RNG" too. A lot of the top streamers on twitch lose to relative nobodies all the time as shown in the World Championship Qualifiers Americas. It is fun and I do enjoy playing it as anyone can pretty much get into it without any CCG experience.

I know what you mean. But man, I get such a rush from playing this game. I freaking bought an ipad just so I can play this game on the go 6 months ago. When this game comes out on phones, my life will be over.
Haha yea, I know what you mean about that rush. I love that feeling when your opening a pack. Its like an addiction. I bought naxx like 2 weeks ago and finished all the quests and challenges, except the heroic part...

Taking into account server stability as all Blizzard releases seem to encounter, I'm hoping for an early 2015 for it to be playable!!!

good to hear about Android release, have spare tablet but might just open an old sealed nook lol.

I still need to finish Nax; got stuck on heroic 3rd wing I think trying basic deck only (only use basic anyway).  The Golbins/Gnomes seem interesting.

has there been any chances/updates since Nax ended?  I only have been playing toward end of months to get card backs.  I wonder if the player's I'm matched up against do the same as they seem terrible - one even dropped Rags and still crushed him with ease.

oh and still need to try Arena!  I still didn't pick a hero for my free run.

I read somewhere there's 3 free packs for playing GvG during the launch, and 1 more for playing on an Android tablet. I hope they consider the Note 3 a tablet, even though it's a phone.

If any cags want to duel sometime shoot me a friend request, battle tag is none4johnny#1903.

I love hearthstone, never browsed many topics here besides the deals section but figured I'd throw my gamer tag for battle.net out there. I also like Diablo 3, have Starcraft 2, just not gotten into it yet.

bread's done
Back