The New RBI Baseball

pitfallharry219

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
This is the first info I've seen since it was announced.

vzdgvjbu6ttlp79dgex6.jpg

"It's going to be very true to the roots of the brand, of R.B.I. Baseball," said Jamie Leece, vice president of games for MLB Advanced Media, in a phone interview with Polygon earlier this week. "It will be fast-paced; games can be played in under 20 minutes. From a user control standpoint, fans will find the controls to be 'classic,' reminiscent of the two-button controls from games of that generation."

Along with the classic two-button control system, the game will feature a retro aesthetic. Each MLB team will feature 16 real players, but every player will be represented by one of three basic character models: average-sized guy, slugger, or little guy.

The game will be released on all current and next-gen consoles, as well as mobile devices, in April.

Man, RBI Baseball was a TON of fun to play back in the day.  I really liked it in the same vein as the Tecmo Bowl games.  Sure it didn't have the meat and potatoes of the more in depth Bases Loaded series, but I've always leaned toward "fun" over realistic sports games (not that it didn't approximate it well, especially given the tech limitations at the time).  I remember playing it at the Putt-Putt I worked at in the Nintendo Vs. dual cabinet alongside Vs. Golf (which the owner kept as his one game that never got replaced so he could play it even though it never made money).  The only thing that came close was Neo Geo Baseball Stars.

I was always a Bases Loaded guy but liked RBI for what it was. The 2nd version of both games are my favorites.

I never liked the gameplay of Baseball Stars but did with Little League Baseball, which used the same engine. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was more of a Bases Loaded guy too, but what I don't get with this new RBI Baseball is that if you are going to resurrect an old franchise, and it's going to look so generic and dull, why not go with a retro look?

The only retro I see here is very basic 3D graphics. Hell, go 2D. Anyone serious about baseball is going to go with The Show in a couple months. An animated 2D baseball game would fill an interesting niche I think.

They should follow the Tecmo Bowl route and let you switch between old and new graphics on the fly.

I'll probably pick this up eventually once it gets really cheap since I prefer arcade style baseball games and although I like MLB 13 Show on the Vita, I really wanted to see a new MLB Power Pros game and this seems like the closest game to that.

I was more of a Bases Loaded guy too, but what I don't get with this new RBI Baseball is that if you are going to resurrect an old franchise, and it's going to look so generic and dull, why not go with a retro look?

The only retro I see here is very basic 3D graphics. Hell, go 2D. Anyone serious about baseball is going to go with The Show in a couple months. An animated 2D baseball game would fill an interesting niche I think.

They should follow the Tecmo Bowl route and let you switch between old and new graphics on the fly.
It's just so MLB has SOME presence on the No. 1 sold console in the US this year as there is no sim baseball game on the XBox platform. Doesn't matter to the millions of 360 users w/o internet though.

The graphics are close to RBI 2, I guess that's what they are aiming at. I personally think they should go for the tubby/cartoon look of the first one. They aren't going to be able to compete on realism, so own the retro graphics and don't even try.

From some screens I've seen, it seems like they've built in challenges into the game to unlock retro uniforms for each team. I saw one screen where you had to hit a grand slam with a pinch hitter to unlock the Dodgers (I think) uniform.

I love mlb the show for the baseball knowledge it has and requires the player to have. It's nice to see that there's now a new arcade variant too (as well as rustys big deal in 3ds or w/e it's called).

The best "arcadey" baseball game is all-star baseball until about 1999/2000 when it tried to be more realistic but not as fun. In the earlier (better) interactions, pitches came in slower to allow you time to move the cursor to the projected pitch location. It just did such a good job at giving you control of the entire team without making it complicated

Surprise, this game is garbage and a complete ripoff for $20 on consoles ($5 on IOS)
Serious question: Does this game suck because it doesn't hold a candle towards modern baseball games and is too arcadey, or does it suck because it isn't a very good remix of the old RBI Baseball with the tubby players where you could knock out a 9 inning game in 10 minutes?.

If it is the former, that is by design. The latter, that is a shame.

Serious question: Does this game suck because it doesn't hold a candle towards modern baseball games and is too arcadey, or does it suck because it isn't a very good remix of the old RBI Baseball with the tubby players where you could knock out a 9 inning game in 10 minutes?.

If it is the former, that is by design. The latter, that is a shame.
It's the latter unfortunately. I was hoping for the former as well and instead have a steaming pile of shit I already deleted off my HDD.

bread's done
Back