* * * * * 1 votes

CAGcast #365: Heterodachi Life

#91 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Ignorant AND closed minded, in fairness I think it has to be one or the other.

Well, you and Christian now have a new name for your podcast: "Ignorant or Closed Minded Opinons."  Rolls right off the tongue.

#92 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Double post

#93 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

I meant me personally. Although I fully admit to not knowing many things, I do consider myself pretty open minded. If I wasn't I would have stopped doing this podcast long ago, I also wouldn't be replying to anyone. I can disagree with people without being close minded.

Most close minded people consider themselves open minded, also replying to people isn't a sign of open mindedness just take a look at the cag VS forums. It's not that you disagree with others it's that you don't care to listen to others.

I remember back when AC2 announced that it would require PC gamers to be always online.  Your reaction was along the line of PC gamers are just mad because they won't be able to pirate it, I believe you also said the only reason people pirate games is becuase they are to cheep to buy them. Both statements where demostrably false, you didn't bother to respond to most of the points in the thread nor have I heard you take back either statement. I also recall an arguing that you were right that some game was bad because it didn't sell well.

But rather than talk about things from years ago here's an example from the thread

Also, no it is not OK to have a view on the morality of homosexuality. It is normal, it is not open for debate. If you feel differently no matter what you say, to me, you are a bigot. I can only speak for myself but if you or any one feels differently please go ahead and find a new podcast that better suits your views.

The irony is this statement itself is bigoted.

It's possible to have a moral view on homosexuality without having fear, distrust, hatred or discriminating against homosexuals. 

You just stated that someone is wrong, should basically go away and not bother asking for a explanation of why there are wrong simply because they disagree with you. There is as much reasoning and understanding in this response as there is to a hardcore homophobe's response to someone trying to convince them that homosexuality isn't a sin, infract replace "normal" and "a bigot" with sinful and it becomes one.

While homosexuality had become generally accepted by society, there are many sexual/relationship preference which are not and I'm sure you have a moral view on, the only difference I see is one is accepted by society while the others aren't which history shows is not a proof of moral high ground.

Open minded isn't about being right or wrong it's about being able to listen to and dicuss diferences opinion. While I find MattZack's arguments extremely flawed, your response doesn’t address any of the flaws, instead you simply label him and dismiss him. I fail to see how telling people with different opinions that they should seek out people who share their opinions is helpful to anyone or can be labeled anything but closeminded.

#94 4nik8tor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   206 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

4nik8tor

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

how about that kinect huh?

#95 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

Most close minded people consider themselves open minded, also replying to people isn't a sign of open mindedness just take a look at the cag VS forums. It's not that you disagree with others it's that you don't care to listen to others.

I edited your quote for length. OK, fist thing. Thanks to you I just listened to a CAGcast clip from 4 years ago. For those reading, it was ( http://ec.libsyn.com...9e&c_id=1632089 ) 45 minutes in.

And that is not what I said, that pirates that are upset about DRM only have themselves to blame. Also pirating a game is bad regardless of the reason. We are not talking about stealing bread to feed your family.

Now back to the issue at hand. I have an usually large amount of gay friends, to have people pre-judge someone's morality based on their favorite consenting adult sexual position to me is just odd. It is no different then judging some based on their religion or skin color.

While I do agree I could be a better listener at times, I do listen and I do respond, and I do not believe I am close minded. Just because I haven't changed my mind, doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what others say.

#96 Darkpaul   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Darkpaul

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

Cheapy, I think the reason why gamers love kickstarter is the idea that the game they want could potentially come out. I mean we may still see psychonauts 2 come from this or something amazing from a studio that wants to make a great game, not a good game that had to change their vision due to publisher pressure or deadlines.

The very idea of sony or EA or activision or any big company using kickstarter for ANYTHING is a real kick in the balls for people who simply dream for a better game.

#97 4nik8tor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   206 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

4nik8tor

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

I am deftly afraid of being labeled homophobic.

What should I buy?? 

#98 brutus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

So there aren't any.

The reason homosexuality is studied is because it's an abnormality.  We all have abnormalities.  Every one of us.  That's what behavioral scientists do--they study deviations from normality to find causes and effects.  I happen to be abnormally intelligent and handsome.  You don't see me pushing for intelligent and handsome videogame characters.  Homosexuality is a textbook example of a dysfunction (abnormal or lack of functioning) of a bodily system--a sexual system that is inhibited or prevented from achieving sexual reproduction due to unknown causes.  So, in fact, every single scientific study of homosexuality is a tacit recognition that it is abnormal. 

Some people aren't mature enough to understand that terms like "abnormal" or "dysfunction" are not insults.  It is in no way mean or derogatory to recognize abnormalities or dysfunctions and label them as such.  But it also does not mean that a videogame geared towards small children should incorporate abnormalities and dysfunctions into gameplay to placate every group of people.  Or permit all manner of lifestyles to be represented.  If you disagree, would you also insist that children choose their character's religion in Tomodachi Life?  Religion is a part of society and is much more common than homosexuality.  Yet I'm guessing a lot of people would see that as indoctrination, including me.  Should the children be told that the homosexual characters can't have children?  How would that make a gay kid feel?  Would they still choose to be a gay character?  The rabbit hole gets really convoluted once you start molding a children's videogame to suit your point of view and try to decide how to shade various truths to match your goals.

I really don't want my three-year-old or nine-year-old wondering if they're straight or gay because of Tomodachi Life.  Or my nine-year-old thinking her best friend is her future wife when they're really just friends.  I don't want to explain why some people think they are born in the wrong bodies or a variety of other conditions that are inappropriate for children to deal with.  Such things are hard enough for adults.  Feel free to experiment on your own children if you disagree (or, more likely, deftly give your kids sugarcoated answers that sidestep reality).

There's a difference between being open-minded and being incapable of make sensible distinctions.  If you believe children's videogames are avenues to introduce children to your social and poltical views, then you need to grow up.

#99 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:01 AM

The reason homosexuality is studied is because it's an abnormality.  We all have abnormalities.  Every one of us.  That's what behavioral scientists do--they study deviations from normality to find causes and effects. 

There's a difference between being open-minded and being incapable of make sensible distinctions.  If you believe children's videogames are avenues to introduce children to your social and poltical views, then you need to grow up.

1. Abonormal not only implies a deviation from the normal but that the deviation worrrying or a problem, unusual may be a better term.

2. It really depends on the use of the word abonormal, in this context it appears that actripxl was implying that homosexuality was abornmal as it only appeared in humans and not something that could have evoleved(which is false). Also there are species where most of the member practice homosexuality.

I edited your quote for length. OK, fist thing. Thanks to you I just listened to a CAGcast clip from 4 years ago. For those reading, it was ( http://ec.libsyn.com...9e&c_id=1632089 ) 45 minutes in.

And that is not what I said, that pirates that are upset about DRM only have themselves to blame. Also pirating a game is bad regardless of the reason. We are not talking about stealing bread to feed your family.

Now back to the issue at hand. I have an usually large amount of gay friends, to have people pre-judge someone's morality based on their favorite consenting adult sexual position to me is just odd. It is no different then judging some based on their religion or skin color.

While I do agree I could be a better listener at times, I do listen and I do respond, and I do not believe I am close minded. Just because I haven't changed my mind, doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what others say.

I'm sorry you had to listen to all that, I would have done it myself but I couldn't find the original thread, it seems like the search function of the new site doesn't find posts from the old site.

To quote what you said "what I said, that pirates that are upset about DRM only have themselves to blame" is kind of what I mean. As pointed out in the thread many times none of pirates were upset about DRM because none of them were affected by it, all it does is hurt the people who actully pay money for the games, and actully encourages piracy as the pirated version of the game would play better.

Your only response to all the comments was "I never knew that PC gamers were so sensitive, they all sound like me"

I disagree on the piracy is always bad thing but let's leave it at that.

Back to the issue at hand as you said, I don't think people should be judged on their sexuality race ect... either, I also don't think people should be judged/discriminated against for expressing their opinions either.  The attitude that people that who have homophobic beliefs are somehow immoral closed minded monsters incapable of reason and need to be oscticized is the same kind of attitude that allowed homophobic attitudes to flourish in the first place. (not saying this is your view)

If you want people to try to understand gays then try understanding them, none of your posts in this thread lead me to believe that you that you were interested in understanding why actripxl or MattZack had to say. While most liberals will say something bigoted like "you can't reason with a bigot" the fact is if you are knowledgeable about the subject and are willing to have a logical disussion with them I've found that most people with homophobic views will take back what they said.

Sure there are some that are close minded and treated and will simply stop replying or resort to name calling when you bring up counter points based on facts and reason (actripxl seems to be one of these).

How many of your post are you trying are you asking for details or bringing up facts and how many of your posts are you telling people to not talk to you or calling people names (directly or indirectly).

#100 thesuzukimethod   i am a cracked machine. CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

thesuzukimethod

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Also, no it is not OK to have a view on the morality of homosexuality. It is normal, it is not open for debate. If you feel differently no matter what you say, to me, you are a bigot. I can only speak for myself but if you or any one feels differently please go ahead and find a new podcast that better suits your views.

Thanks for this. one of the reasons i keep coming back (even though i sometimes disagree with you on some of the gaming stuff, i appreciate the push for inclusivity and fighting back against bigotry....it seems the internet, along with the general public, is 10-40 years behind the established science on this matter.....)

so much wrong here - edited for length

it's called heteronormativity. you are giving a textbook example. congratulations.

#101 thesuzukimethod   i am a cracked machine. CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

thesuzukimethod

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

moar wrong.

i'm glad you're a dentist and not teaching my kids science. you've reduced evolutionary theory to a single element and have ignored a large body of literature on kinship and family(1) - you know all the stuff we brought with us as "culture" after we stopped being pure animals? .... well i'll be a mother's brother. ;)

(1) not to mention population ecology as opposed to some fetishized emphasis on fucking.

#102 SoloSkywalker   Banned Banned   22 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

SoloSkywalker

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Holy shit, people are so easily offended nowadays. Get over it because you will have a long hard life if you let something so trivial get you so up in arms. 

#103 ternatsof   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   17 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

ternatsof

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

people take wombat serious... after all these years...

would you take life advice from someone that religiously travels to disneyworld every year?

problem I have is, that you just ignored the feedback for the next episode....

Unless they're french or japanese...then of course they suck

#104 sinsio   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

After all these years, you haven't grasped his sense of humor  :D/

people take wombat serious... after all these years...

Unless they're french or japanese...then of course they suck

#105 jms493   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

1456.gif