* * * * * 3 votes

CAG Amateur Developer's Thread

RPGMaker Gamefactory Indie dev developer steam

#121 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   2836 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

I've been craving RPG Maker lately, so I'm going back to it. Have a strong urge to finish what I started several months ago and take out all the inside jokes so everybody can play it. Since that still has probably 100 hours worth of work left to finish, I've decided to make something completely new and very small with a focus on story. I'm using a generic and predictable story for my testers. I'll have to completely re-write it later. That might be difficult. Maybe different endings depending on how many collectables are found.

EDIT: l made such a noob mistake with my doorways and now I don't know if I want to fix it lol

My Completed Games   (Last Updated: 11/02/14 *Most Recent: World of Keflings - W8*)   
This Week on YouTube: Project Spark
This Week on Twitch:  Teddy Bonkers Weekly RP Returns for Season 2
Gamertag: Bob101910 RFP  (FIXED)

#122 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8097 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

So I was wondering, since I just bought a Game Stick for $20, what is the best or at least few good options for Android game development? I know Unity is there but I am looking at either a full 2D game or a top down game that has the same 2D top down style as Zelda games.

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#123 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   1440 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

So I was wondering, since I just bought a Game Stick for $20, what is the best or at least few good options for Android game development? I know Unity is there but I am looking at either a full 2D game or a top down game that has the same 2D top down style as Zelda games.

I would either say Unity (the obvious choice, and it's 2D support has been improving), or I would say HAXE + OpenFL.

HAXE is an open-source programming language, and OpenFL is a library of different tools that allow you to target any number of different platforms using HAXE, including Android. It also provides support for hardware-accelerated 2D, so your games should run quite well on Android. It's programming is very similar to Actionscript 3.0, so it is often the go-to choice for old Flash developers. It also has full support for Flixel and Flashpunk, two of the most popular game engines from Flash. Because of its open-source nature, the entire toolset is free to use.

If you don't mind a slightly larger footprint, Unity 3D is still a good option. It's 2D support has improved, and the latest version (4.6) has a vastly improved GUI system for in-game menus. While it isn't geared toward 2D, it is now quite capable of it.

#124 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8097 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

I would either say Unity (the obvious choice, and it's 2D support has been improving), or I would say HAXE + OpenFL.

HAXE is an open-source programming language, and OpenFL is a library of different tools that allow you to target any number of different platforms using HAXE, including Android. It also provides support for hardware-accelerated 2D, so your games should run quite well on Android. It's programming is very similar to Actionscript 3.0, so it is often the go-to choice for old Flash developers. It also has full support for Flixel and Flashpunk, two of the most popular game engines from Flash. Because of its open-source nature, the entire toolset is free to use.

If you don't mind a slightly larger footprint, Unity 3D is still a good option. It's 2D support has improved, and the latest version (4.6) has a vastly improved GUI system for in-game menus. While it isn't geared toward 2D, it is now quite capable of it.

I looked at Unity 3D and it's not bad. There is just a ton of different options and things so it's quite a challenge to wrap my head around (actually kinda overwhelmed with how it all works). I am an ios/android developer so I have the skills to learn whatever, I just never programmed a game before so learning all that logic is a new thing for me. I guess I need some type of course or book that teaches me game physics/the overall process of how a game works so I can understand what goes on behind the scene of a game and then translate that into code. Coding wont be a hard thing for me, I often switch around 2-4 languages daily, it's just getting that mindset of how a game works.

125063.png808669.png

#125 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   1440 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Coding wont be a hard thing for me, I often switch around 2-4 languages daily, it's just getting that mindset of how a game works.

With Unity 3D, the biggest hurdle is wrapping your brain around the design methodology that it uses. It's like stepping up from procedural to object-oriented coding for the first time. It can be a bit of a struggle, but once it clicks, you're off to the races.

Unity 3D uses a component architecture, so you don't have to do very much object-oriented coding. Most of the scripting is actually fairly simple. And one of the nice things is that a lot of it is done ahead of time. There are existing components for most game tasks in Unity. You want physics? There's a component for that. Rendering? Component. Audio? Component. A lot of game building in Unity is just assigning existing components to game objects.

Some of the more advanced functions require a bit more custom code, and you might have to dig into the API a little deeper. I'm writing a custom tool at the moment, and I have to get a bit more intense in my coding. But the end result is that I'm making some custom components that other people will drag-and-drop onto their game objects. It takes a little practice to "get" Unity, but once you do it becomes fast and easy to prototype.

#126 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8097 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

With Unity 3D, the biggest hurdle is wrapping your brain around the design methodology that it uses. It's like stepping up from procedural to object-oriented coding for the first time. It can be a bit of a struggle, but once it clicks, you're off to the races.

Unity 3D uses a component architecture, so you don't have to do very much object-oriented coding. Most of the scripting is actually fairly simple. And one of the nice things is that a lot of it is done ahead of time. There are existing components for most game tasks in Unity. You want physics? There's a component for that. Rendering? Component. Audio? Component. A lot of game building in Unity is just assigning existing components to game objects.

Some of the more advanced functions require a bit more custom code, and you might have to dig into the API a little deeper. I'm writing a custom tool at the moment, and I have to get a bit more intense in my coding. But the end result is that I'm making some custom components that other people will drag-and-drop onto their game objects. It takes a little practice to "get" Unity, but once you do it becomes fast and easy to prototype.

Thanks, I will need to look up resources on Unity. OpenFL looks easier to get into from the gate but Unity3D looks more advanced for it's feature set.

125063.png808669.png

#127 Cheaplikeafox OS X   Better Than You CAGiversary!   13277 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Bundlestars has an RPG Maker sale:

http://www.bundlesta...ions/rpg-maker/

#128 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   1440 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Bundlestars has an RPG Maker sale:

Those are some great prices. I picked up RPG Maker VX Ace off of a Steam sale last year. But I've never bothered to really dig into it. It is commonly considered to be the gold standard for classic JRPG creation.

I've mainly not been using it because I'm already so invested in Unity 3D development. But if I was looking to put together a classic JRPG, it would be my first stop.

Does anyone here have any experience using RPG Maker?

#129 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   315 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

I have used VX Ace quite a bit over the latter half of 2014.

Last Six Years of Completed Games: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPGMaker, Gamefactory, Indie, dev, developer, steam