* * * * * 4 votes

CAG Amateur Developer's Thread

RPGMaker Gamefactory Indie dev developer steam

#121 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   4291 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

I've been craving RPG Maker lately, so I'm going back to it. Have a strong urge to finish what I started several months ago and take out all the inside jokes so everybody can play it. Since that still has probably 100 hours worth of work left to finish, I've decided to make something completely new and very small with a focus on story. I'm using a generic and predictable story for my testers. I'll have to completely re-write it later. That might be difficult. Maybe different endings depending on how many collectables are found.

EDIT: l made such a noob mistake with my doorways and now I don't know if I want to fix it lol

#122 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

So I was wondering, since I just bought a Game Stick for $20, what is the best or at least few good options for Android game development? I know Unity is there but I am looking at either a full 2D game or a top down game that has the same 2D top down style as Zelda games.

#123 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

So I was wondering, since I just bought a Game Stick for $20, what is the best or at least few good options for Android game development? I know Unity is there but I am looking at either a full 2D game or a top down game that has the same 2D top down style as Zelda games.

I would either say Unity (the obvious choice, and it's 2D support has been improving), or I would say HAXE + OpenFL.

HAXE is an open-source programming language, and OpenFL is a library of different tools that allow you to target any number of different platforms using HAXE, including Android. It also provides support for hardware-accelerated 2D, so your games should run quite well on Android. It's programming is very similar to Actionscript 3.0, so it is often the go-to choice for old Flash developers. It also has full support for Flixel and Flashpunk, two of the most popular game engines from Flash. Because of its open-source nature, the entire toolset is free to use.

If you don't mind a slightly larger footprint, Unity 3D is still a good option. It's 2D support has improved, and the latest version (4.6) has a vastly improved GUI system for in-game menus. While it isn't geared toward 2D, it is now quite capable of it.

#124 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

I would either say Unity (the obvious choice, and it's 2D support has been improving), or I would say HAXE + OpenFL.

HAXE is an open-source programming language, and OpenFL is a library of different tools that allow you to target any number of different platforms using HAXE, including Android. It also provides support for hardware-accelerated 2D, so your games should run quite well on Android. It's programming is very similar to Actionscript 3.0, so it is often the go-to choice for old Flash developers. It also has full support for Flixel and Flashpunk, two of the most popular game engines from Flash. Because of its open-source nature, the entire toolset is free to use.

If you don't mind a slightly larger footprint, Unity 3D is still a good option. It's 2D support has improved, and the latest version (4.6) has a vastly improved GUI system for in-game menus. While it isn't geared toward 2D, it is now quite capable of it.

I looked at Unity 3D and it's not bad. There is just a ton of different options and things so it's quite a challenge to wrap my head around (actually kinda overwhelmed with how it all works). I am an ios/android developer so I have the skills to learn whatever, I just never programmed a game before so learning all that logic is a new thing for me. I guess I need some type of course or book that teaches me game physics/the overall process of how a game works so I can understand what goes on behind the scene of a game and then translate that into code. Coding wont be a hard thing for me, I often switch around 2-4 languages daily, it's just getting that mindset of how a game works.

#125 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Coding wont be a hard thing for me, I often switch around 2-4 languages daily, it's just getting that mindset of how a game works.

With Unity 3D, the biggest hurdle is wrapping your brain around the design methodology that it uses. It's like stepping up from procedural to object-oriented coding for the first time. It can be a bit of a struggle, but once it clicks, you're off to the races.

Unity 3D uses a component architecture, so you don't have to do very much object-oriented coding. Most of the scripting is actually fairly simple. And one of the nice things is that a lot of it is done ahead of time. There are existing components for most game tasks in Unity. You want physics? There's a component for that. Rendering? Component. Audio? Component. A lot of game building in Unity is just assigning existing components to game objects.

Some of the more advanced functions require a bit more custom code, and you might have to dig into the API a little deeper. I'm writing a custom tool at the moment, and I have to get a bit more intense in my coding. But the end result is that I'm making some custom components that other people will drag-and-drop onto their game objects. It takes a little practice to "get" Unity, but once you do it becomes fast and easy to prototype.

#126 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

With Unity 3D, the biggest hurdle is wrapping your brain around the design methodology that it uses. It's like stepping up from procedural to object-oriented coding for the first time. It can be a bit of a struggle, but once it clicks, you're off to the races.

Unity 3D uses a component architecture, so you don't have to do very much object-oriented coding. Most of the scripting is actually fairly simple. And one of the nice things is that a lot of it is done ahead of time. There are existing components for most game tasks in Unity. You want physics? There's a component for that. Rendering? Component. Audio? Component. A lot of game building in Unity is just assigning existing components to game objects.

Some of the more advanced functions require a bit more custom code, and you might have to dig into the API a little deeper. I'm writing a custom tool at the moment, and I have to get a bit more intense in my coding. But the end result is that I'm making some custom components that other people will drag-and-drop onto their game objects. It takes a little practice to "get" Unity, but once you do it becomes fast and easy to prototype.

Thanks, I will need to look up resources on Unity. OpenFL looks easier to get into from the gate but Unity3D looks more advanced for it's feature set.

#127 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20948 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Bundlestars has an RPG Maker sale:

http://www.bundlesta...ions/rpg-maker/

#128 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Bundlestars has an RPG Maker sale:

Those are some great prices. I picked up RPG Maker VX Ace off of a Steam sale last year. But I've never bothered to really dig into it. It is commonly considered to be the gold standard for classic JRPG creation.

I've mainly not been using it because I'm already so invested in Unity 3D development. But if I was looking to put together a classic JRPG, it would be my first stop.

Does anyone here have any experience using RPG Maker?

#129 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1089 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

I have used VX Ace quite a bit over the latter half of 2014.

#130 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

Oh snap! Yesterday, Epic announced that Unreal Engine 4 is now free-to-develop!

Last year, when they launched Unreal Engine 4 for the first time, they also rolled out a new subscription-based licensing fee. For $19/month anyone could get a valid Unreal Engine 4 license with full access to the source code. The royalties owed to Epic were also reduced from around 30% to just 5%. This was a huge step for bringing UE4 to a broader user-base. For the first time, smaller indie teams could actually afford to use one of the more powerful game engines on the market.

Yesterday, on the first day of GDC 2015, Epic announced that UE4 would now be free for development purposes. The $19/month subscription fee would henceforth be dropped. Anyone who had already sent in their fee for next month would be reimbursed, and those who had been actively subscribing to the service would receive $30 of free credit to UE4's asset store. Anyone wanting to download and use UE4 can do so simply by signing up at UE4's website, no further charges.

The 5% royalties to Epic are still in place for monetized projects. If you make some decent money off of a game you make with UE4, Epic will still be taking their cut. But if you just want to grab UE4 and learn how to make some games, there is now zero out-of-pocket cost. This is a huge boon to the indie and hobbyist communities. One more barrier to entry has vanished, and people looking to try their hand at game making have another powerful tool at their disposal.

#131 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20948 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Wow, that's pretty cool.  Even the 5% royalty seems pretty small.  Probably way too advanced for me at the moment, but I will probably try to work my way up to it.  They probably want to compete with Unity.  

#132 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

It was a very smart move for Unreal to go free. I am going to try UE4 for a 2D style game because I absolutely love the level editor I seen of UE4.

My biggest hurdle right now is art. I guess part of the problem is I need some type of art to make a practice game. Does anyone know of any good free 2D asset packs I can use for testing purposes?

#133 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

My biggest hurdle right now is art. I guess part of the problem is I need some type of art to make a practice game. Does anyone know of any good free 2D asset packs I can use for testing purposes?

Sorry, but no. I'm a graphic designer by training, so I've always handled my game art myself. If you're not confident in your art, going with programmer art is usually a good move, especially for testing purposes. Simple shapes with basic shaders attached to them should give you everything you need to get basic gameplay down. You can always swap them out with animated sprites later.

Art and final-pass polish always takes up the most time and expense for game development. If at all possible, you shouldn't sweat those details early on in the process. Focus on basic graphical representations that will allow you to provide your players with capable feedback, that's what's important for the time being. A more advanced or artistic graphical presentation can come later.

The news out of GDC this year has been very thrilling. First UE4, than Unity 5, and now even Source 2! It's a free-to-develop game engine extravaganza! And all of the VR news has also been thrilling. It's going to be a productive year for hobbyist developers. We're finally spoiled for choice on the tools we get to use!

#134 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

I've been hard at work on my lip-sync project every night for the past week. And I've made lots of progress. It's been slow going, but very steady. Every night I learn new tricks. Last night, I even rolled up my sleeves and started in on some of the art I needed to make. So I finally have something visual I can share...

sml_gallery_100232_8572_20187.png

It's a 3D model of a kitty cat that I sculpted! It's a bit of a rough sculpt, I didn't spend all that much time on it. And my 3D modeling skills are very rusty. But I'm going to be using retopology to produce a lower-resolution of it for in-game use anyhow. The sculpt is just to serve as a base, and for some minor normal mapping. The final version is going to be used to animate various phrases.

#135 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20948 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

That's a very cool looking cat!

#136 Lieutenant Dan   Ice Cream! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:59 AM

The news out of GDC this year has been very thrilling. First UE4, than Unity 5, and now even Source 2! It's a free-to-develop game engine extravaganza! And all of the VR news has also been thrilling. It's going to be a productive year for hobbyist developers. We're finally spoiled for choice on the tools we get to use!

Did you attend GDC? If so, any tips for a first-timer attending next year?

#137 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

I did not get to go this year. But I did get to attend on an Expo pass several years ago. Pack light, wear really comfortable shoes, bring a jacket, but also bring a way to store the jacket. (San Fran can get extremely cold with all the wind, but the inside of the conference center can get warm) You might be tempted to pick up a lot of the swag, but don't. A little swag here and there is fine, especially if its something nice, but you'll just be toting a bunch of extra weight around if you try to get everything. Also, the people presenting look down their noses a little at swag hounds. They'll take you a little more seriously if you listen to them, and don't immediately ask about the swag.

Talk to everyone. One of the big positives about an event like this is to establish relationships. Don't be shy, and ask as many questions as you like. Most of the people attending there for business are supposed to be answering questions, and most of them are going to want to talk about what they're presenting anyway. It's not going to be hard to strike up a conversation with pretty much anyone. If you go on an Expo pass, you'll be limited on how many panels you can attend, so a lot of your time there will be on the show floor. You should spend a significant amount of that time talking to a bunch of different people.

I'm hoping to be able to attend next year. It all depends on my job situation.

#138 Dr Sasquatch   Trivial Hirsute CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Dr Sasquatch

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:39 AM

So glad this thread is going again! Anyone got any games going right now?

#139 Lieutenant Dan   Ice Cream! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

I finished this prototype last week: http://reinfeldx.itc...ff-my-gram-gram

Have been meaning to throw this on Kongregate as I don't think Itch gets a lot of discovery traffic.

It's a reworking of an old Scatch project using Unity. My first time digging into the tool and doing any significant programming. Used C# and really enjoyed it. Would love to get some criticism or feedback of any kind, positive or negative.

I'm itching to ramp up a second project. The trick is setting a bite-sized goal that I can learn from!

#140 Dr Sasquatch   Trivial Hirsute CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Dr Sasquatch

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:18 PM

I finished this prototype last week: http://reinfeldx.itc...ff-my-gram-gram

Have been meaning to throw this on Kongregate as I don't think Itch gets a lot of discovery traffic.

It's a reworking of an old Scatch project using Unity. My first time digging into the tool and doing any significant programming. Used C# and really enjoyed it. Would love to get some criticism or feedback of any kind, positive or negative.

I'm itching to ramp up a second project. The trick is setting a bite-sized goal that I can learn from!

That was awesome! I love the voice acting. I rated three toasted cheese sandwiches.

#141 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1089 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Some of the guys from my local Game Space (indie/professional game developer group) put together a round-table discussion called Beginner's Guide on GDC.  Perhaps you may get something out of it.

#142 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

It's been a couple of months since you posted this, but I'm going to strongly recommend Libgdx if you like working with Java.  It's a very popular, cross-platform, easy-to-use library which runs on PC, Android, and some others.  The cross-platform features are really great: you generally don't have to change a single line of code to deploy to a new platform, aside from updating a few platform-specific configuration files.

#143 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

For the past two weeks, I've been revisiting a Unity component I had been working on for automatically calculating and rendering aspect ratios, as well as the letterboxing that goes along with them. I'm much more experienced at Unity this time around, and yesterday I finished all of the main features.

Tonight, I figured how to use ShadowPlay to record a quick tutorial video. Why didn't anyone tell me about this ShadowPlay beta thing?! NVidia basically put out a free version of FRAPS that kicks most other video capture software in the testicles! True, you do have to have an NVidia 600+ card to install and run it. But my gaming rig was already rocking dual GTX 660s in SLI, so no problems there. ShadowPlay is basically the video capture software I've always dreamed of, and it comes by default with my 3D card!

#144 Lieutenant Dan   Ice Cream! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:33 AM

Tonight, I figured how to use ShadowPlay to record a quick tutorial video. Why didn't anyone tell me about this ShadowPlay beta thing?! NVidia basically put out a free version of FRAPS that kicks most other video capture software in the testicles! True, you do have to have an NVidia 600+ card to install and run it. But my gaming rig was already rocking dual GTX 660s in SLI, so no problems there. ShadowPlay is basically the video capture software I've always dreamed of, and it comes by default with my 3D card!

What were you using before ShadowPlay? Know of any good software that does internal audio + video capture at the same time?

I stumbled on this today: Qubicle. Was used by the Crossy Road devs for their art assets. I'm in love. Super-easy to create voxel models.

#145 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

What were you using before ShadowPlay? Know of any good software that does internal audio + video capture at the same time?

I stumbled on this today: Qubicle. Was used by the Crossy Road devs for their art assets. I'm in love. Super-easy to create voxel models.

I was always trying to configure one open-source screen capture solution or another. None of them ever worked particularly well. I used FRAPS a few times in the past, but it always drastically killed performance. ShadowPlay is easily the best video screen-capture program I've ever used. It captures audio from whatever you're running, and even gives you the option of providing microphone narration while you're recording. It's everything I've needed.

#146 Lieutenant Dan   Ice Cream! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:14 AM

Dabbling in Qubicle: Tongue Monkey

#147 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for free project management software?  Self-hosted or otherwise.

I'm looking for something really basic: just organizable to-do lists and perhaps commenting, in a nice interface.  I really like Basecamp, but $20/month adds up quickly, and I don't need or use 90+% of the features.  The free ("classic") version of Basecamp is my best option right now, but the limit of one project at a time is sometimes a pain.

I've tried Trello, but I don't like the organization, with the card system and everything.

#148 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for free project management software?  Self-hosted or otherwise.

Sorry man, I've never really used project management software. I usually play it by ear. A bit slap-dash, but I'm not trying to do this professionally at the moment.

Going has been a little slow over the past week or so for my lip-sync project. However, I have been keeping it steady, working on it diligently at least a little bit each day. This past week, I worked on being able to load and parse external data files. It's a bit of a chore to do that, but it makes the plug-in less reliant on just one lip-syncing solution. It's good for people to have a few different options.

Papagayo turned out to be the hardest text-file format to support. Papagayo is a fairly basic lip-sync timing tool released by Lost Marble, the company behind Anime Studio. It's not as fast as the command-line program I'm using in my plug-in, but it's reasonably easy to work with, it's free, and it's cross-platform. (so Mac developers can use it) So I really wanted to be able to give users the option of importing those files if they wanted to. Their file format is not designed for easy parsing, so I had to do a few mental back-flips to get it working properly. But where there's a will, there's a way.

#149 Lieutenant Dan   Ice Cream! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:09 AM

Is Ludum Dare 32 on anyone's radar? http://ludumdare.com/compo/

I am very likely to participate; it will be my first jam! My goal is to have some fun and make a tiny game that's not a total embarrassment :)

#150 Dr Sasquatch   Trivial Hirsute CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Dr Sasquatch

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:08 PM

Is Ludum Dare 32 on anyone's radar? http://ludumdare.com/compo/

I am very likely to participate; it will be my first jam! My goal is to have some fun and make a tiny game that's not a total embarrassment :)

It wasn't on my radar, but now I will try to make something! Thanks for bringing it up. 

It will be my second jam!