* * * * * 4 votes

CAG Amateur Developer's Thread

RPGMaker Gamefactory Indie dev developer steam

#181 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1089 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:22 AM

Where I live, here in upstate NY, we have both a branch of the IGDA and our own GameSpace.  While the IGDA tends to provide a monthly meeting for presentations and a way for game developers, both professional, indie, and educators to meet, the GameSpace hosts a co-working environment where devs can work, collaborate, teach, learn and play games.  From what I understand, there are GameSpace all over, they just don't get much exposure, so people don't know they exist.

#182 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:10 AM

Hmm interesting.  Gamespace especially sounds really cool.  It doesn't look like my city has much going on for local game dev initiatives, aside from a Meetup group.  I should check that out sometime.

#183 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:50 AM

I really like the nice little positive community we have here, but it's sometimes inactive

Yeah, I've been busy with a lot of other stuff recently, and have had to put my game development on hold. Very sad, but life has a way of imposing. For communities, I try to attend the meetings of my local chapter of the IGDA. (independent game developers association) It's a good way of networking with the other local talent in the game development scene, and is generally a good way to talk shop.

As far as attitudes go, I've never worked in the game industry proper, and have always tried to maintain a certain amount of balance with my hobbies and the rest of my life. (part of why I haven't been developing recently) So my outlook on this hobby is actually pretty rosy. Because my livelihood has never hinged on success, it is easier for me to be upbeat. I don't actually have any skin in this game.

#184 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:30 AM

So my outlook on this hobby is actually pretty rosy. Because my livelihood has never hinged on success, it is easier for me to be upbeat. I don't actually have any skin in this game.

That's a great place to be.  I'm in a sort of similar place myself: I work full-time during the day, so the risks aren't huge if a game does worse than expected, but I'm trying to go full-time in a few years, so there's enough pressure to keep me motivated.

#185 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:00 AM

I took about 2-3 weeks of a break from my 2D platformer recently in order to develop a small web app.  Coming back to the game afterward was nice in that it allowed me to take a fresh set of eyes to it, and it reaffirmed that I really like how the physics turned out.

All of the significant mechanics have now been programmed, so that's nice to have out of the way.  But I ran it on the Vita last night after doing only PC builds for a while, and yikes.. it appears I have some memory leaks to address.  I knew I had at least one memory leak backlogged in my to-do list, but there are some bigger-than-expected side effects that happen when entering/exiting a level back-and-forth rapidly.  Urgh.  Really hoping it's only related to the one memory leak I'm already planning to fix and not something that's going to be harder to track down.

For that reason, I'm starting to consider switching to a visual editor like Game Maker for my next project, now that it supports all modern systems except the 3DS.  I have a strong distaste for using visual editors (and have ever since I switched away from Game Maker for traditional programming in 2003 or so) due to the friction they tend to introduce whenever you want to to do something outside of the absolute norm, but not having to worry about memory leaks or low-level asset management would be a nice change, and being able to add XBox One as a target platform wouldn't hurt, either.  I tried Unity again and found it as clunky and obstructive to my workflow as I remembered it, but hopefully Game Maker won't be as bad.  We'll see how that pans out...

I also decided to go all-in with my current game and do 100% of everything this time around.  I've been doing all of the programming/art/design since day one, but I was 50/50 on doing music or hiring someone else.  This'll be the first time I've composed music for one of my games since 2008 or 2009, but the stuff I've produced so far for this project isn't too bad.  It'll be nice to be able to step back and see something that's 100% my own again. :)

#186 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2905 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

Looks like this thread needs some activity, didn't notice it until now. Over a decade ago, my intentions after getting out of high school and going to college was to get into making games/software. While in college I was also working full time, started a family, which after a while the full time job caused a domino effect in a negative way with all that. I did finish college for my bachelors of science digital entertainment and game design degree but never made anything worthy during that time. Going to college in the end wasn't anything I expected it to be at the time but if I were a high school student going to college now, you will most likely get the experience I was expecting.

I'd like to make use of the many tools/assets I have bought over the years, especially most of the things I bought for Unity. Tools like 2D Action RPG Starter Kit, 2D Toolkit, Adventure Creator, Isometric Shooter, PlayMaker, UFPS. Seeing that my purchases date to September 2013, I'd really like to dedicate some time this year to make use of Unity and choosing to make use of one or two of these tools. When I was younger, I had made some games with Clickteam's The Games Factory. One of which I might end up remaking, while some concepts I made were based on intellectual property (obviously wasn't planning on profiting on the ideas, I was a young kid just having fun with the things I loved). All my graphics at the time were made with MS Paint, as I didn't have access to Photoshop back then....lol...

My interest has always been with programming. Over the years I have shifted away from that to in the graphic design department. I'm not as passionate about it as most and really don't have a portfolio up of work that I'm proud of. I rather hand off some work to my "competition".

With that said, I'd like to refresh myself with making games. At least start working on a few simple games and eventually work my way up to making games based on indie films by indie film makers I personally know. I'd really like to think outside of the box as most people where I live like to copy things I have presented in the past, and don't think anyone will take on making games as they like to do things as easy as possible. College was of no use when it came to programming, it was mainly 3DS Max, Flash, HTML, and Unreal Engine. I was expecting to have courses on learning many different programming languages, while in the end, the college thought Flash was going to be the bread and butter for paying for our degrees. Not with people wanting to kill it.

#187 Lieutenant Dan   Ice Cream! CAGiversary!   1374 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Lieutenant Dan

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:47 PM

Hey guys—anyone doing the Global Game Jam next weekend? I signed up for my local meeting spot (not to imply there's a great scene where I live; it's pretty kinda dead).

I'm setting up a Google Hangout right now for a warmup mini-jam. Loosely organized. In fact, I don't know if anyone in my local Facebook group is going to join. I plan to go at it most of the weekend, but I'll be coming and going from time to time.

Point is, if anyone wants to make a small game this weekend, feel free to join this Hangout: https://hangouts.goo...m/ggj2016warmup

#188 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2905 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

It be nice to get out to the one in Nashville this weekend but I been down in the dumps, so not sure if I'll be of any help. Got to get my motivation back to making anything at all.

#189 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:33 PM

A New Challenger!

Lumberyard Game Engine

Quick summary: Amazon has announced that they are throwing their hat into the ring for the growing competition between third-party game engine developers. They have not only announced, but also provided access to, a new game engine that they are calling "Lumberyard." This engine is based on licensed tech that they acquired from Crytek, so much of the back-end rendering will be very similar to the CryEngine. The engine is free-to-use for anyone, and even provides access to the engine's C++ source code. The only cost comes when you want to take advantage of Amazon web-service integration, which is extensively tied into the engine's on-line feature and multiplayer support.

This could be an attractive engine alternative for smaller developers, especially those working on single-player experiences. Any standard single-player game will be able to use the engine for a commercial project completely free of charge. The source-code access will be a very attractive feature for tech-focused developers looking to customize things to their own liking. And the graphical capabilities of the engine will make it a decent alternative to Unreal Engine 4. (currently the go-to engine for high-end visuals)

Amazon has their work cut out for them, the middleware market is flush with capable competitors. And it is fairly clear that they intend this engine to be a gateway for luring developers into utilizing Amazon web-services. All the same, I can't fault the approach they are taking with it. They are being clever about it, and the overall package seems fairly appealing. I'll be sticking to Unity for the time being, but I will also be watching to see how Lumberyard progresses.

#190 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20948 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:42 PM

So is this aimed at mobile games for the Amazon app store or full blown PC games?  I've read some horror stories from devs about Amazon and their app store.  As a Fire phone user, I love the phone, but have to sideload Google Play to access a lot of popular apps.  

#191 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

So is this aimed at mobile games for the Amazon app store or full blown PC games?  

An excellent question. At the moment, this engine doesn't seem targeted at mobile at all. In fact, I don't think it even has the ability to release games on mobile platforms. This will likely be a factor that holds it back from early adoption by some developers. This engine is, for the time being, focused on PC game development, and can also release titles for the Xbox One and PS4. It's primarily aimed at high-end graphical titles for the current high-end gaming scene. (PCs and current-gen consoles) This makes sense, as it is based off the CryEngine, which also focused on those platforms.

Amazon is apparently planning on going their own direction with future updates to the engine. So it is entirely possible that we will see more platforms supported in the future. But for now, this is NOT a mobile-friendly engine. If mobile devices are your bread and butter, you would be well served to look elsewhere.

#192 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

Lumberyard sounds really cool. The lack of Vita support is the only thing stopping me from giving it a try.

#193 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

Lumberyard sounds really cool. The lack of Vita support is the only thing stopping me from giving it a try.

Yeah, I thought you might be interested, as it targets most of the same targets that you favor. I seriously think we will see additional platforms added to the engine as time goes by. There's simply too much value in cross-platform support these days, and most of Lumberyard's competitors already support numerous platforms.

I'm not sure I would hold my breath for Vita support. You will probably be sticking with the Phyre Engine for the time being. Not a lot of engines are going to be targeting the Vita going forward. Very unfortunate, but what can you do?

#194 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20948 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

I was going to ask, how viable is the Vita market at this point?  Doesn't seem to be a super popular platform. 

#195 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

I was going to ask, how viable is the Vita market at this point?  Doesn't seem to be a super popular platform. 

It's a great platform. It just isn't very commercially viable at the moment. It hasn't been getting the marketing support it needs to keep its head afloat, and Sony has been mismanaging it for a while now. Because of all of this, development support for it has dropped off sharply in the West. It still gets solid support from Japan, and from indie devs. But exclusive development for the Vita is scarce right now. While there's nothing wrong with developing for the Vita, I wouldn't expect to make big bucks on that platform.

#196 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

Yeah, I thought you might be interested, as it targets most of the same targets that you favor. I seriously think we will see additional platforms added to the engine as time goes by. There's simply too much value in cross-platform support these days, and most of Lumberyard's competitors already support numerous platforms.

I'm not sure I would hold my breath for Vita support. You will probably be sticking with the Phyre Engine for the time being. Not a lot of engines are going to be targeting the Vita going forward. Very unfortunate, but what can you do?

Yup, looks that way.  PhyreEngine will be my mainstay for a while.

In my opinion, it's a great platform to publish on.  Sales-wise, I don't have much to compare it to sales-wise except Android, because all of my other games have been freeware games or freemium web games.. but Super Blackout has sold really well on Vita for such a small-scoped game, and barely at all on Android, so there's at least that small anecdote for comparison.

The Vita doesn't have as large an install base as its main competitor the 3DS, but the demographic is really different and more intent on supporting games released on the platform.  Vita owners really, really love their Vitas - myself included.  Vita owners are very embracing of digital distribution, and they're very pro-indie -- the most pro-indie userbase out there, in my opinion.  There's a collective attitude in the community of "support the developers who support the Vita."  So while the install base might be 1/5th as large as another platform like the 3DS, that doesn't mean it will only sell 1/5th as well.  I speculate that my game would have sold far fewer units on 3DS than on Vita.

#197 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

Vita owners really, really love their Vitas - myself included.  Vita owners are very embracing of digital distribution, and they're very pro-indie -- the most pro-indie userbase out there, in my opinion.

All true. I love my Vita, as well as my PlayStation TV. And one of the things I love about them the most is the indie support and solid ports of indie games. It's been a great platform for games of that style. I've purchased numerous indie games digitally for my Vita, and fully intend to continue that trend.

I would like to be pushing more for my personal development, but life continues to get in my way. I'm house-sitting at the moment, and I'm performing some AV services for my family that are eating up quite a bit of time. It's always the way. On the plus side, I'm planning on upgrading my personal web-site soon with some tutorials. If I can just scrounge up the time...

#198 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:28 AM

Over the past week, I accomplished something I've been wanting (maybe needing) to do for a while: setting up a complete scripting system to use in my games.  Not for scripting the logic of each entity in a real-time game, but for things like cutscenes, NPC actions in RPGs (what they do when the map is loaded, what they do when you walk up and talk to them, etc.).

It consists of two scripting languages: a C-like language for writing the scripts, and an Assembly-like language that it compiles into.  The former is for me to write, and the latter is for the game engine to read.  I wrote a compiler, based on a project I had to do in college, which compiles between the two, and an interpreter that the game uses to execute the Assembly-like code.  Writing an interpreter for a C-like language would have been much tougher, but interpreting a language that just amounts to a set of sequential instructions is easy, hence the compilation process. :)  It also supports continuations, which are pretty crucial and a big reason why I didn't go with something like Lua.

Beyond that, my whole month has pretty much consisted of composing music for my current project and learning a ton of [basic] music theory in the process.  Seven songs down, and somewhere around five left... might still have to go back and change some of them later, though.  Suffering music burnout right now. :X

#199 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20948 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

Forgot to post this in this thread, but you guys might have seen it already since I posted a CAG blog post:

Super Blackout, my PS Vita game is finally out as of Tuesday of last week. :) $4.99 / 67.9 mb.

Not sure whether the link will work, because CAG's affiliate redirection was messing it up last time I checked, but maybe it'll work now:

https://store.playst...UPERBLACKOUT001

Screenshot:

AZ7kqBT.png

Hey,
I asked in the psn thread but probably better to ask here, is this compatible with the PlayStation tv? That's all I have to play vita games. The store page says that some features aren't compatible, but would the have still be enjoyable?

#200 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hey,
I asked in the psn thread but probably better to ask here, is this compatible with the PlayStation tv? That's all I have to play vita games. The store page says that some features aren't compatible, but would the have still be enjoyable?

Yup, it's 100% playable with the PSTV.  The only difference is the way it controls: on the Vita, you have the additional option of using the touch screen to select tiles and menu buttons, while on PSTV you'd control it with the D-pad + face buttons.

#201 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:13 AM

This is pretty cool: I found a 2D framework for Unity whose goal is to reduce the reliance on the visual editor and replicate a more traditional C# programming environment.  I'm really strongly considering using it for my next game this fall, because I reeeaaally love C#, and the idea of targeting some more platforms (mainly XBox One) is a nice bonus.

For you Unity guys: is there any way to compile+run your Unity games from a command line?  I'm trying to speed up my workflow when writing C# code in Visual Studio, rather than having to alt+tab into the Unity editor and then Ctrl+P to run the game, because I do a lot of really quick iterations.  Hmm.. or if I could change the Ctrl+P to some other one-hand shortcut, that could be nice too, but some googling tells me that's not possible.

#202 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

For you Unity guys: is there any way to compile+run your Unity games from a command line?

If you love C#, and you love a more traditional, non-visual editing environment, and you want some nice multi-platform reach, why aren't you using Monogame? Especially now, of all times. Microsoft just announced that they are releasing Xamarin for free, and that it will now just be a part of Visual Studio by default. With Xamarin now being free-to-use, Monogame has unfettered reach across a huge swath of platforms with no money down required.

It uses C#. It can build to Windows, OSX, Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Vita, iOS, and Android. And it's based on the old XNA, so it has lots of game-focused features without tying you down to a visual interface. I would think something like that would be ideal for your purposes.

#203 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:53 AM

If you love C#, and you love a more traditional, non-visual editing environment, and you want some nice multi-platform reach, why aren't you using Monogame? Especially now, of all times. Microsoft just announced that they are releasing Xamarin for free, and that it will now just be a part of Visual Studio by default. With Xamarin now being free-to-use, Monogame has unfettered reach across a huge swath of platforms with no money down required.

It uses C#. It can build to Windows, OSX, Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Vita, iOS, and Android. And it's based on the old XNA, so it has lots of game-focused features without tying you down to a visual interface. I would think something like that would be ideal for your purposes.

I would love to, and I've looked into Monogame heavily in the past year and you're right that it's really ideal for me, but there's one thing holding me back: it doesn't support Vita.  I think you're probably thinking of the PlayStation Mobile support.

#204 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

I think you're probably thinking of the PlayStation Mobile support.

Yes, you are correct, and have clearly done your homework on the matter. I typed pre-emptively, based on what I read on the Monogame home-page. Their Vita support is contingent on PlayStation Mobile, a now defunct initiative.

Well, I certainly don't want to discourage you from using Unity. As a Unity-user myself, I heartily endorse the use of the engine, and will even happily provide you with what support I can. I just don't feel it's a good idea to circumvent the standard structure of Unity. That said, it is both possible and permissible. And if that will provide you with a development environment that you are more comfortable and productive in, then more power to you.

I can't really help with the Unity coder workflow. I think it's great that they've started more tightly integrating Visual Studio, as it is a more capable IDE as opposed to MonoDevelop. But I consistently work in a dual-monitor setup, so I habitually keep the scene editor open on one screen, and the code editor on the other. So I suppose my advice would be to get a second monitor, preferably one with a stand that easily allows for rotating it to a vertical orientation. I favor Dell, personally. (the monitors, not the pre-built rigs)

#205 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

Whooof, it's been several months since I've posted here. I had to hang up my development boots for a little while. I was assisting my parents as they moved into their new house. Shifting 20+ years of family detritus from one location to another is a lot more time-consuming than I would have expected.

But that particular project is drawing to a close. And it's time to put those boots on again. I started off by downloading several different versions of Unity, and installing them all on my computer side-by-side.

For those of you who may be interested in development, this step is not generally necessary, or even a good idea. For anyone who just wants to make a game, a single install of your engine is going to do you just fine. The best approach is to pick a version of your engine of choice that is reasonably stable, and has all the features you need, and just stick to that version. Changing versions mid-project is normally something to be avoided, no matter what kind of fancy new features are in the new release. Pick a version of your engine that works for you, and stick to it until your current project is finished, that's the way to go.

The reason I'm taking the multi-version install approach is because I'm currently working on Unity Assets. When working on modular Assets, having multiple installs makes a lot more sense. One of the more attractive features of a well-designed Asset is that it is compatible with multiple versions of an engine. That way a user doesn't have to worry about which version of the engine they are using, they can just download the Asset and have it work, no questions asked. That places a bit more of a burden on the developer, but that's just the way of things.

I have a couple of Assets that I'm working on right now, and want to make certain that they have a nice broad compatibility. More details later.

#206 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

Psssst, Humble Bundle is selling Game Maker and all of the non-NDA'd modules for $15:

https://www.humblebu...amemaker-bundle

I picked it up and, after messing around with it and stress-testing it on PC/PS Vita/Android, I'm seriously impressed with how performant the engine is.  I set up a really basic project to see if it could handle the heaviest cases my platformer might throw at it (huge parallax backgrounds + a large level with a lot of tiles + streaming a dozen mp3s from disk one at a time + some sprites), and it runs extremely well.  Even the weakest platform (Android, my Nexus 6) is running at a consistent 120+ FPS, and the others are running several times as fast, all while keeping an unusually low memory footprint.

It's working extremely well cross-platform, too: everything "just works", and the engine does a nice job of scaling the game to the various screen sizes.  No need to be conscious of different screen sizes unless you're planning to support multiple aspect ratios (which I'm too lazy to do since mobile is the lowest priority for me).

The only major downside I'm seeing right now is with the scripting language's limitations.  Because of those limitations, it looks like it'd be necessary to take a lot of hacky approaches when it comes to writing and organizing code.

~~~

In unrelated news, thanks to the fine people who purchased Super Blackout on PS Vita, I built a new office PC and swapped out my triple-monitor setup with one big 40" 4k monitor.  It's helped a lot with boosting development speed.  Also bought a PS4 devkit, so I can finally get that version of my game going.

#207 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

In unrelated news, thanks to the fine people who purchased Super Blackout on PS Vita, I built a new office PC and swapped out my triple-monitor setup with one big 40" 4k monitor.  It's helped a lot with boosting development speed.  Also bought a PS4 devkit, so I can finally get that version of my game going.

Awesome! Good to hear things are working out for you. In indie dev, any gain is worth celebrating. I won't inquire too heavily into the PS4 devkit, as that is probably NDA in some regards. But kudos on picking one of those up.

And it's good to hear that GameMaker seems viable. It's been a while since I've looked closely at that engine. I'm still using Unity.

#208 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2142 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thanks. :)  I'm strongly considering switching to Game Maker now because of the cross-platform support (the engine I'm using now is cross-platform too, but I keep running into inconsistencies here and there that have slowed me way down lately -- that and C++ can make things tricky at times).  Unity is very possibly an even better option at this point due to its much, much better scripting capabilities, but I'm leaning more toward GM since I have a lot of familiarity with it from ~2001-2003 that surprisingly still applies with the modern version.  My opinions are changing such that I'm thinking more about checking out Unity more as time goes on, though.

#209 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2752 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

My opinions are changing such that I'm thinking more about checking out Unity more as time goes on, though.

A big part of it should be about what style of game you are planning on making. The engine serves the game, not the other way around. If you are focused on making a 2D game, GameMaker might be a better choice. While Unity has gotten plenty of good 2D tools, it is still more of a 3D-focused engine. If GameMaker is running really well in 2D on the platforms you are targeting, it might be a more appropriate choice. As long as the scripting language isn't too bad, it could be a viable option. Goodness knows there have been a number of successful indie games that have come out in the past few years that used GameMaker.

I've been putting together a few tools and graphical assets in Unity, to help speed up future developments. I'm investing a little time and energy now to save time later. I'm in the middle of creating a checker piece. I'm specifically creating one that will take advantage of level-of-detail to scale to multiple resolutions and platforms, making it easier to use it numerous different contexts. A cylindrical, coin-shaped object with UV-mapping, and effectively scaling LOD support could have a lot of different applications.

#210 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:59 PM

Thanks. :)  I'm strongly considering switching to Game Maker now because of the cross-platform support (the engine I'm using now is cross-platform too, but I keep running into inconsistencies here and there that have slowed me way down lately -- that and C++ can make things tricky at times).  Unity is very possibly an even better option at this point due to its much, much better scripting capabilities, but I'm leaning more toward GM since I have a lot of familiarity with it from ~2001-2003 that surprisingly still applies with the modern version.  My opinions are changing such that I'm thinking more about checking out Unity more as time goes on, though.

I checked out a few of the development studios such as Unreal, Unity and Game Maker and I would like to say that Game Maker is both a good choice and not a good choice, depending on your situation.

Game Maker is of course great for 2D games. Now with that said, I also feel like you really need think to yourself I want to make a few 2D games to really dive deep into Game Maker. What I mean by this is Game Maker has it's own language, own way of doing everything. It's not bad, but as a developer myself (not professional game developer but general developer as my day job), I know that Game Maker doesn't teach you some of the programming practices other good studios would. Now like I said, if you just plan on making 2D games, this is perfectly fine, but if you want to dive deeper into 3D, I would look more so at Unity because a lot of the stuff you will learn in Game Maker will not translate to Unity, and there will be a huge re learning curve of how to do everything. So take that into consideration before you decide on a game studio.

Not hating on Game Maker but just be warned that Game Maker is it's own thing and switching from Game Maker to Unity will require a learning curve so I would pick a studio based on what games you want to not just make now, but in the future. A little bit of Unity hell now if you do want to do 3D will pay off later. Otherwise Game Maker is fine.