* * * * * 4 votes

CAG Amateur Developer's Thread

RPGMaker Gamefactory Indie dev developer steam

#211 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:05 AM

I checked out a few of the development studios such as Unreal, Unity and Game Maker and I would like to say that Game Maker is both a good choice and not a good choice, depending on your situation.

Game Maker is of course great for 2D games. Now with that said, I also feel like you really need think to yourself I want to make a few 2D games to really dive deep into Game Maker. What I mean by this is Game Maker has it's own language, own way of doing everything. It's not bad, but as a developer myself (not professional game developer but general developer as my day job), I know that Game Maker doesn't teach you some of the programming practices other good studios would. Now like I said, if you just plan on making 2D games, this is perfectly fine, but if you want to dive deeper into 3D, I would look more so at Unity because a lot of the stuff you will learn in Game Maker will not translate to Unity, and there will be a huge re learning curve of how to do everything. So take that into consideration before you decide on a game studio.

Not hating on Game Maker but just be warned that Game Maker is it's own thing and switching from Game Maker to Unity will require a learning curve so I would pick a studio based on what games you want to not just make now, but in the future. A little bit of Unity hell now if you do want to do 3D will pay off later. Otherwise Game Maker is fine.

Hmm, I appreciate the advice, but like you, I do have a pretty extensive background in programming (~13 years of game/web/desktop/mobile programming, CS degree, full-time non-game development job), so my concern at this point isn't "what is GM going to teach me about programming?" but "what's the best choice for this particular project at this time?"

But I absolutely agree with you about GM defying conventional programming practices, and that is a huuuge reason it was a difficult choice to switch from C++/PhyreEngine to GM for this project.  GM's scripting engine pretty much requires developers to write hacky and unorganized code, but all things considered, I predict the benefits will pay off for this project in development time and generally a better end product.  It's going to be a harder decision when I start up my next game (either a roguelike or an RPG) though, because GM's scripting engine's lack of flexibility is going to be a much bigger issue there...

Josh1billion.png

Developing some PS4/Vita games in my free time.  Website | Twitter | Facebook

Super Blackout released a while ago on PS Vita for $4.99.  Full PlayStation TV support.

Now working on a PS4/Vita platformer, coming soon.

#212 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

Here's a really moving blog post by Thomas Happ, developer of Axiom Verge: http://www.axiomverg...ecial-needs-dad

I'd been waiting patiently for a sale to buy Axiom Verge, but ended up paying retail after reading.

Josh1billion.png

Super Blackout released a while ago on PS Vita for $4.99.  Full PlayStation TV support.

#213 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8558 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

Here's a really moving blog post by Thomas Happ, developer of Axiom Verge: http://www.axiomverg...ecial-needs-dad

I'd been waiting patiently for a sale to buy Axiom Verge, but ended up paying retail after reading.

Hmm, looks like I will be buying it again. Bought it on PS4, for full price and enjoyed it. Hearing this I will have to rebuy it on another platform.

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#214 IAmTheCheapestFox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   18351 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestFox

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

Any of you active devs, what is your opinion on something like this:

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

Upcoming Events:

February 8: Bloody Good Time

February 9: Flying Tigers, Hidden Dragon

#215 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8558 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:08 PM

Any of you active devs, what is your opinion on something like this:

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/

It seems like a decent enough course. 52 hours of content for $13 isn't bad at all. I can't comment on the instructor but I think the source material will be decent enough to do what you need.

So after a bit of searching I think I am going to start learning LibGDX. I know I can probably get similar results on Unity, but I am just looking to make a 2D game for Android and LibGDX looks like it will teach me how to build a game from scratch instead of using a tool to make a game. Not saying that Unity is bad or anything but I would rather learn to do things from scratch just so I have a better understanding of things.

That and LibGDX is open source so I don't have to pay licensing fees just in the off chance I have a game that makes money.

125063.png808669.png

#216 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

LibGDX is great. It's what I used originally when writing Super Blackout.

Something very similar worth considering if you haven't already looked into it is Monogame. Similar language (C# instead of Java), and the framework is really similar from a programmer's perspective. It supports a few more platforms than LibGDX, which gives it a slight edge in my opinion, all other things being pretty much h equal.

Josh1billion.png

#217 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8558 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:35 PM

LibGDX is great. It's what I used originally when writing Super Blackout.

Something very similar worth considering if you haven't already looked into it is Monogame. Similar language (C# instead of Java), and the framework is really similar from a programmer's perspective. It supports a few more platforms than LibGDX, which gives it a slight edge in my opinion, all other things being pretty much h equal.

Did not know about Monogame. I will have to check that out.

Just looking for an environment that is powerful enough to make a 2D game but without all the hand holding of Unity. Nothing against Unity, but I am a how does it work kinda of guy and making something from scratch really appeals to me. At this point I just started getting my feet wet with LibGDX so I might be switching to Monogame because of the extra support.

125063.png808669.png

#218 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:45 PM

Did not know about Monogame. I will have to check that out.

Just looking for an environment that is powerful enough to make a 2D game but without all the hand holding of Unity. Nothing against Unity, but I am a how does it work kinda of guy and making something from scratch really appeals to me. At this point I just started getting my feet wet with LibGDX so I might be switching to Monogame because of the extra support.

Right on, I'm the same way (enjoying working with somewhat low-level stuff).  I'm using GM Studio right now, but I'll probably use Monogame for my next project because I really like that low-level workflow, now that Monogame is supposed to be getting native Vita support soon.

On a related note, if you plan to use Tiled as your level editor, here's a really good library for loading Tiled maps in C#/Monogame: https://github.com/m...ward/TiledSharp

Josh1billion.png

#219 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8558 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:41 PM

Right on, I'm the same way (enjoying working with somewhat low-level stuff).  I'm using GM Studio right now, but I'll probably use Monogame for my next project because I really like that low-level workflow, now that Monogame is supposed to be getting native Vita support soon.

On a related note, if you plan to use Tiled as your level editor, here's a really good library for loading Tiled maps in C#/Monogame: https://github.com/m...ward/TiledSharp

Nice, I am defiantly switching to Monogame (assuming VS 2015 wants to work). Just having Xbox and PS Support out of the box is nice. Thanks for the level editor. Right now my first project wont really involve levels but I hopefully plan to create a full game sometime with levels. Since Thanksgiving is over I can start learning it.

I fiddled around with game creation in the past but I am serious about it now. Reason being is I want to potentially make some side money to help build my future. I mean I have a job as a developer but I want to some day afford a house with my GF, and just be able to live comfortably and happily in life. Not that I am a big spender or anything but I want to have a future where I don't need to worry about money. Game creation is something where I will be doing what I enjoy and can potentially make money, a win win for me.

125063.png808669.png

#220 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:12 AM

Started learning Unity this week, here's a noob question:

Is it possible to configure Unity to run a different scene (when you press Play) than the scene you're currently editing?

I want to have an "initializer" scene that contains a bunch of universal startup code (which, when it's done initializing things, would then transition to the level I'm actually working on -- or, in the final product, to the title screen or whatever).

EDIT: Yay, found a script that mostly does the job: https://coderwall.co...-you-press-play

That script is supposed to do everything I described, but it looks like Unity 5 must have changed some things such that there's a small bug in it now: after quitting the game, the editor will be stuck on the "initializer" scene rather than whatever scene you were editing.

But I wrote an extra function inside of it that allows me to reload it with Ctrl+G after quitting the game, so it's not too big of a deal.

[MenuItem("File/Scene Autoload/Reload previous scene %g")]
    private static void ReloadPreviousScene()
    {
        if (!EditorApplication.OpenScene(PreviousScene))
        {
            Debug.LogError(string.Format("error: scene not found: {0}", PreviousScene));
        }
    }

Josh1billion.png

#221 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8558 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

So I am looking for either course/book/something on either Monogame or Game Development in general. I don't know exactly which one I need or what would be best or both.

Let me explain the situation first. So I am reading through some Monogame tutorials and I am understanding the C# portion of it (as I understand what is going on with C# language), but what I don't understand is why they did that. What I mean is like for example I get that you need to put a sprite on the screen but I don't understand the whole function to put it on the screen (like with all the math and stuff involved). I can read the code fine but I still am lost on some of aspects related to the whole game development process. Also with cameras and scrolling is another area that I can feel I will have trouble with.

So my problem is a tricky one since I get C# but the whole principals of game development are confusing to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't care if I need to spent a few dollars to get some material, if it will help me learn it.

Thanks

125063.png808669.png

#222 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:15 PM

So I am looking for either course/book/something on either Monogame or Game Development in general. I don't know exactly which one I need or what would be best or both.

Let me explain the situation first. So I am reading through some Monogame tutorials and I am understanding the C# portion of it (as I understand what is going on with C# language), but what I don't understand is why they did that. What I mean is like for example I get that you need to put a sprite on the screen but I don't understand the whole function to put it on the screen (like with all the math and stuff involved). I can read the code fine but I still am lost on some of aspects related to the whole game development process. Also with cameras and scrolling is another area that I can feel I will have trouble with.

So my problem is a tricky one since I get C# but the whole principals of game development are confusing to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't care if I need to spent a few dollars to get some material, if it will help me learn it.

Thanks

I don't know of any specific resources, but I'd be more than happy to chat and explain some of those concepts / answer any questions.  Although I haven't used Monogame in a full project myself yet, I'm really familiar with the game programming/structural concepts behind it, because it's really similar to the style I've worked with in most game dev libraries in the past (stuff like LibGDX, Allegro, PlayStation Mobile, CDX, etc.).  I'm assuming you mean concepts like having a game logic loop and a rendering loop, setting up spritebatching, organizing your code, etc.

If you want, you can PM me on the Game Development slack here: https://gamedevslack.herokuapp.com/ or add on Steam or Skype (Josh1billion on both). :)  I'll be online most of today probably.

Josh1billion.png

#223 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

Does anyone have experience using Tiled with Unity?  I see there are a handful of Tiled-to-Unity converters, and then there's the option of using something like TiledSharp to import Tiled's files directly at runtime, etc.  Looking to hear whether anyone has opinions on the various exporters out there.

Josh1billion.png

#224 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   2046 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:31 AM

Does anyone have experience using Tiled with Unity?  I see there are a handful of Tiled-to-Unity converters, and then there's the option of using something like TiledSharp to import Tiled's files directly at runtime, etc.  Looking to hear whether anyone has opinions on the various exporters out there.

I ended up trying out Tiled2Unity, and it works really, really well.  I did some stress testing on Vita tonight, and the Unity + Unity2Tiled combo is very performant.  Never ran into any framerate issues, and maps load in a fraction of the time compared to the scripts I'm using in GameMaker: Studio.  Pretty sure I'm going to use Unity on my next project now.. mid-2017.

Josh1billion.png

#225 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2062 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

Pretty sure I'm going to use Unity on my next project now.. mid-2017.

Let me know if you need a hand on anything. I'm still working on some Unity Assets. I'm currently creating a checkers-style playing piece 3D model with normal mapping and full level of detail support. I should be able to re-purpose it for other round, flat objects, such as coins. I'm also in the middle of re-factoring the board-game/named linking Asset that I was working on to be compatible with a broader swath of Unity distributions. A good exercise for an Asset developer. Supporting multiple Unity versions is very appealing for frequent Asset Store users.

#226 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2062 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

​Oh holy crap! Today Valve announced that they are shutting down Steam GreenLight, and replacing it with a new service called Steam Direct.

For those of you not familiar, Steam Greenlight has for years been a service that allowed essentially any prospective developer to get their games on Steam with relative ease. So long as you participated in the community and its curration, getting your game playable on Steam was essentailly a foregone conclusion. For some developers this was a boon, allowing them access to Steam's community and customers that they had previously only dreamed of. And some less scrupulous developers used it as a mechanism for flooding Steam with ill-conceived cash-grabs. The GreenLight service did a lot for Steam, but it also flooded the service with a quantity of sub-par work that no curration seemed capable of keeping pace with.

The new proposed Steam Direct service will allow access to Steam for general developers, but will require an up-front monetary deposit. If a certain given number of sales are met, the deposit in question will be reimbursed to the developer. If it isn't reached, the deposit will become the permanent property of Valve, thank you very much. Such a system places a greater commitment and risk on the developers. Flooding the service with low-quality titles will no longer be an option, as such titles aren't guaranteed to see their deposits returned. Or at least, that's the current theory.

There are going to be some issues with this approach. Some developers are already speaking out against it, while others seem to welcome the limitations this will place on the Steam development community. I think it clear that this is designed less for developers than it is for customers. A steam store flooded with sub-par dross is unrfriendly to end-users. Time will tell how this affects the development community.

#227 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8558 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

​Oh holy crap! Today Valve announced that they are shutting down Steam GreenLight, and replacing it with a new service called Steam Direct.

For those of you not familiar, Steam Greenlight has for years been a service that allowed essentially any prospective developer to get their games on Steam with relative ease. So long as you participated in the community and its curration, getting your game playable on Steam was essentailly a foregone conclusion. For some developers this was a boon, allowing them access to Steam's community and customers that they had previously only dreamed of. And some less scrupulous developers used it as a mechanism for flooding Steam with ill-conceived cash-grabs. The GreenLight service did a lot for Steam, but it also flooded the service with a quantity of sub-par work that no curration seemed capable of keeping pace with.

The new proposed Steam Direct service will allow access to Steam for general developers, but will require an up-front monetary deposit. If a certain given number of sales are met, the deposit in question will be reimbursed to the developer. If it isn't reached, the deposit will become the permanent property of Valve, thank you very much. Such a system places a greater commitment and risk on the developers. Flooding the service with low-quality titles will no longer be an option, as such titles aren't guaranteed to see their deposits returned. Or at least, that's the current theory.

There are going to be some issues with this approach. Some developers are already speaking out against it, while others seem to welcome the limitations this will place on the Steam development community. I think it clear that this is designed less for developers than it is for customers. A steam store flooded with sub-par dross is unrfriendly to end-users. Time will tell how this affects the development community.

This is interesting but I can already see a problem with this service. I am talking about developers where this is their first ever game. Like someone puts their heart and soul into a game and did it in their spare time for free. What if they don't have the money to upfront steam where they need to be to get the highest sales. I really can't see this going over well. Sure you are going to get the worst of the crap off Steam greenlight but there are a few good games going to go under the radar.

I kinda wish Steam had the option for the down payment for guaranteed access or maybe go through an approval process where Steam would take a much higher cut for the first x sales and they would have to be approved by an actual group of people. (where if your game is not approved you get banned by steam for x amount of time from submitting games)

125063.png808669.png

#228 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2062 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

The "ideal" solution to Steam's current submission issues is large-scale human curration. But this is the least efficient and most costly approach for Valve, so it will almost certainly not happen. It would require permanent staff that specialize in community interraction and critical evaluation. And with the volume of submissions they would be likely to get, we're talking about a permanent, full-time team of no less than 30 people. And even a team of that size would be drastically understaffed, and probably need to be expanded at some point to reduce the workload. The cost of assembling, training, and maintaining such a team would be considerable, which is why Valve has been relying on automated systems and user community involvement up to this point. Those things cost very little.

It's easy to see why they've been handling things the way they have. They do what's best for Valve, first and foremost. And I can't even fault them for that, it's not an unreasonable approach. But at the same time, it is not what is best for the general public, or the development community. We will see how all of this pans out.

The funny thing is, by not handling this sort of thing themselves, they are actually opening up the door for someone else to handle it for them. A third-party rating/reviewing system that effectively "sifts" Steam's library of titles could easily accrue a community around itself.

#229 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2062 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

After spending the holiday months focused on family activities, I've finally gotten some time to devote to getting back into my development. The past couple days have actually been very productive. The Unity tool I was working on for constructing simple game object links has been coming along really well. Part of the challenge was construcing an efficient tool that would use the component to construct quick-and-dirty game boards. Using a basic linking system for construcing a board-game, such as for chess or checkers, is entirely possible. But it would take far too long to construct something like that in the scene editor. A simple GUI tool to automate the process seemed appropriate.

I had a partially working version previously, but over the past few days I was able to rework it to be cleaner, more efficient, and considerably less error/bug prone. I streamlined the interface for it a bit too. I even successfully added and tested a few new features that I had been meaning to include. My attempt to add a staggered board option have worked, and I'm even through most of the tile link assignment logic. I also successfully added an alternating color assignment option, with Materials you can select and dynamically add to the board pieces in the interface.