64gb vita memory cards available at GameStop $116.99

doc_j88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Ive noticed in my area the GameStops are selling 64gb Vita memory cards.

The associate checked and said that all the gamestops had at least one in stock.

I inspected the package and the card is "brand new" in Japanese packaging (i know because ive imported two 64gb cards) but being sold as Gstop used.

Good chance to go local instead of trying to import.

Cool, haven't seen one @ a local GS yet.  They are also available @ Amazon for $102 right now with free prime shipping if you've got that.  Looks like market place seller has already imported, fulfilled by Amazon, works out well if you're Prime.

I went this route a couple of months ago.

The associate checked and said that all the gamestops had at least one in stock.

I inspected the package and the card is "brand new" in Japanese packaging (i know because ive imported two 64gb cards) but being sold as Gstop used.

I can't justify these prices....highway robbers Sony are for the Vita...and they wonder why it doesn't get more adopted....good find though....I'm waiting till these go to about 85 or so (about how much I paid for the 32 gig a while back).

I can't justify these prices....highway robbers Sony are for the Vita...and they wonder why it doesn't get more adopted....good find though....I'm waiting till these go to about 85 or so (about how much I paid for the 32 gig a while back).
This exactly. I won't buy a vita until the cards get a little cheaper.

Well at least they're selling them used so you can get some used discounts off it.  Best case scenario for me it's only $3 less than Amazon prices after tax though.

Pssst Sony - your Vita is failing commercially. Get a fucking clue. Stop pricing basic memory for three times the market rate. All this does is make me reluctant to download anything...

That price is horrible 0_0

It's $97~ on eBay FS no tax. Only problem is that it is shipped from China or Japan BUT, epacket shipping makes it actually fairly fast now, around the same speed as standard parcel post. 

Strait edge is right

The psp had piracy issues. I mean so did the Nintendo DS, but for developers it cost more to make psp games compared to cheap low graphic ds games and made them stop developing for the psp which led to its eventual decline in the west.

Yea these 64GB cards MAX should sell for $59.99 with 32GB being $29.99. That gives Sony a little bit of profit but doesn't make such a bad first impression on consumers. 

I don't think the memory cards have as much to do with piracy (they do help) but more with losses on the Vita initially. Since Sony lost money on each Vita for a long time (might still, maybe not) they made major profit off the cards to offset this.

Kind of silly how so many people whine about the memory card prices on the Vita.  I personally have no problem with them, since I would rather not see the Vita hacked (and therefore stop getting games).  The PSP was hacked due to its standard memory card format, and that hurt its overall lifespan (and it was a fantastic little handheld for its time, I still own a bunch of them, all models). 

I have one 32gb card in each of my two Vita systems, and on my main system I now have about 90 games on the card.  Admittedly I have a good mix of games, including many PSP titles, but I felt that the cards were well worth the price.  Its just a one-time, small additional cost for the system that benefits you for a long time into the future, so its no big deal.  And honestly if you can't afford a memory card for the Vita, you probably can't afford the Vita either, might as well stick with a 3DS, which is much cheaper hardware.

Kind of silly how so many people whine about the memory card prices on the Vita. I personally have no problem with them, since I would rather not see the Vita hacked (and therefore stop getting games). The PSP was hacked due to its standard memory card format, and that hurt its overall lifespan (and it was a fantastic little handheld for its time, I still own a bunch of them, all models).

I have one 32gb card in each of my two Vita systems, and on my main system I now have about 90 games on the card. Admittedly I have a good mix of games, including many PSP titles, but I felt that the cards were well worth the price. Its just a one-time, small additional cost for the system that benefits you for a long time into the future, so its no big deal. And honestly if you can't afford a memory card for the Vita, you probably can't afford the Vita either, might as well stick with a 3DS, which is much cheaper hardware.
I can deal with proprietary cards. It's the prices that are crazy.

PUR plus birthday makes it not terrible I only wish there would be micro sd to vita adapters like their was for psp thats What I always used for my psp

I can deal with proprietary cards. It's the prices that are crazy.
If you search around and look for deals, you can find them. I paid about $55 for each of my two 32gb cards, one was direct from Sony and the other was from Gamestop. Just like anything else, there are deals to be had.

I ordered a 64gb from superufo.com for $87 shipped. They are located in Hong Kong but I saved $20.

Yes, the he memory prices are crazy but if you are buying a Vita you already know this. Sony messed up with the proprietary memory and they are paying for it with low sales.

Kind of silly how so many people whine about the memory card prices on the Vita. I personally have no problem with them, since I would rather not see the Vita hacked (and therefore stop getting games). The PSP was hacked due to its standard memory card format, and that hurt its overall lifespan (and it was a fantastic little handheld for its time, I still own a bunch of them, all models).

I have one 32gb card in each of my two Vita systems, and on my main system I now have about 90 games on the card. Admittedly I have a good mix of games, including many PSP titles, but I felt that the cards were well worth the price. Its just a one-time, small additional cost for the system that benefits you for a long time into the future, so its no big deal. And honestly if you can't afford a memory card for the Vita, you probably can't afford the Vita either, might as well stick with a 3DS, which is much cheaper hardware.
Its not silly. They make bank on these. Comparable prices like a 32GB SD card is like $20-$30 sold at like huge profits.

Sony can't possibly spend more than say $25 on each of these 64GB cards, marking them up $70-$90ish. Reducing the price of these cards to be comparable to their competitors would in no way threaten the hacking of the Vita.

If you search around and look for deals, you can find them. I paid about $55 for each of my two 32gb cards, one was direct from Sony and the other was from Gamestop. Just like anything else, there are deals to be had.
Doesn't stop the fact that you SHOULD have had the option to pay $20-$30 for it. I know Sony deserves profits so they can turn that into Vita game development (which Lol, they aren't even doing that, just porting games mostly) but they'd be fine selling $10 32GB cards for $30, not $55+.

BTW, 32GBs of flash memory generally costs like $10 to manufacture.

I imported mine for something like $92 shipped. That's only $7 off your mark. I think I used yesasia.com with a small coupon (a couple dollars off). I sold my 32 for $75 at the time, so doubled my storage for under $20. If you keep an eye out at the main import websites for coupons, and sell your 32 at a good time, it's easy to make the switch.

If you wait for the 64 to come to the US, the used market for the 32 will bottom out and it'll cost you more to upgrade since you'll get so much less for your 32. Plus, when it comes to the US it'll likely be the same price as imports ($100ish).

I'd get a vita but the damn memory almost costs as much as the device. sony should be embarrassed. Give me a 128GB SD card at a fair price in a few years and then maybe a vita would be worthwhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, 32GBs of flash memory generally costs like $10 to manufacture.
Economies of scale. These cards are only made for one device, in relatively low quantity. I think you're grossly underestimating their cost for sony to produce. Yes, sony is definitely making a profit on them, but that was part of their vita pricing strategy (to profit a bit on the cards instead of the hardware).

Sure, if they went with a standard card it would be much cheaper -- it's likely they chose not to do that for piracy prevention. Does it suck? Sure, we'd all prefer cheaper cards. But if the vita got hacked and everyone could get all the latest games for free, say goodbye to all the wonderful games coming out for vita. Remember, they're coming in after the fiasco that was psp piracy and I'm sure the engineers had strict instructions never to let that happen again.

Besides, we're cags here... we generally aren't paying msrp, let alone Gamestop inflated import prices-- I bought my 32s at around $40 each, sold them at $75 each, and bought a 64 at $92 shipped. I've spent, what, ~$20 for my 64?

Careful. If Sony hands you a glass of Kool Aid some day, you might want to pause before guzzling it all down.

The memory card costs more than the games. In what type of fucked up world is that considered okay. Hopefully not this one.

The memory card costs more than the games. In what type of fucked up world is that considered okay. Hopefully not this one.
Tell that to the xbots that all bought Microsoft's proprietary harddrives.

There's some ugly double standards going on around here.

Its always funny to see people using the piracy defense for the cost of these. I am pretty sure there were many ways to minimize that "concern". With them pushing PSN it's sad that they took no incentive to reduce the costs of these, working in the QC I am always shocked to see what it really costs to make things. The PSVita has been successfully hacked away until recently, which is only a matter of time again.

These cards are almost the very same style as a microSD.

The PSVita is an awesome system. If you can get lucky and get one with at least a 32gb card you'll be alright.

Damn $117 Gamestop.....Caved and bought me one for $108 at Amazon 2-3 weeks ago. Hated spending that much but all that space has made my life so much better. I downloaded everything and still have 25GB left, before that all I had was 2 16GB cards and a 8GB.

What do you mean by "standard"? PSP uses Pro Duo memory sticks, and adapters for those didn't pop up until after the piracy floodgates had already been opened.
Pro Duo sticks could always be plugged directly into a computer and messed with (adapters always covered many different memory card types, including Pro Duo), Vita memory cards cannot. That's what I meant.

Agreed. When you consider that the Vita is the same price as the vastly inferior hardware of the 3DS XL, Sony really has nothing to be embarrassed about.

Careful. If Sony hands you some Kool Aid some day, you might want to pause before guzzling it all down.
Not really. I just love the Vita and want it to succeed, and if higher memory card prices are part of that bargain, I have no problem with it. As I said before, my main Vita with 32gb card has over 90 games on it, a mix of all types, and I'm very happy with the games coming out. It may be that the Vita ends up more of an indie machine in the long run, but there are plenty of indie games that I love (like Terraria and Steamworld Dig), so that's fine with me. If I have to pay a little more, for the system or its memory card/peripherals, its no big deal.

How is there any debate about memory card price?

A 64GB Class 10 Micro SD is around $30-$40.  A 128gb is $100-$120.   Vita card prices are stupid and outrageous.  Why defend this?  The Vita is doing terrible and it is a main factor.

Heck, I had a PSP and still have a PSP Go.  The GO had 16gb internal and another 16gb was inexpensive.  Heck putting a PSP up to 32gb wasn't even an expensive endeavor.

This website is cheap ass gamer after all.

The Vita is a system I will get- eventually.  I'm going to buy a brand new system when the price is under $100 or a limited edition that I care about is released.  For now though, there is little reason to jump on it since it will basically be eclipsed by newer phones/tablets completely within a couple of years.

Not really. I just love the Vita and want it to succeed, and if higher memory card prices are part of that bargain, I have no problem with it. As I said before, my main Vita with 32gb card has over 90 games on it, a mix of all types, and I'm very happy with the games coming out. It may be that the Vita ends up more of an indie machine in the long run, but there are plenty of indie games that I love (like Terraria and Steamworld Dig), so that's fine with me. If I have to pay a little more, for the system or its memory card/peripherals, its no big deal.
I myself love the Vita more than my 3DS right now. That doesn't change the fact that I felt like I needed to get a good price on the Vita before even purchasing it (i got a cowboom used system) and then got a memory card which pretty much the combo equaled the full price of the Vita. I still cringe every time I see a digital only game coming to the Vita (unless it's an indie game which usually are good size) and always look for physical copies when possible (SAO/Senran Kagura Cooking game....others I don't have a choice, something like One Piece Red I had to go to specific places to get a physical copy). Sony is doing great things with the PS4 and I always hope for the best for both their systems. I want that 64 gig card and would have easily gotten it even for 80 maybe. I don't like the prices, and it discourages me from going all digital on the system compared to the Nintendo 3DS where I can if I want and for a heck of a lot less...at least in terms of memory.

I'm just thinking as a CAG at wanting the most for my money and that's just my humble opinion. Maybe I'll upgrade my memory someday, but with these digital only releases like SAO and Senran Kagura Cooking....who knows when the 32 gig will run out.

Will the birthday coupon work on this, or is it strictly games? If you could squeeze 30% off since it's used it doesn't seem too bad.

I was hoping that we'd see another price drop this E3 for Vita memory.  It's the WORST part of the console.  There are plenty of games if people would just get one and see, but the memory sucks.  Funny how Nintendo got that right with the 3DS, they are traditionally so bad about proprietary systems. 

theres no alternative so sadly they dont need to lower them atm. for piracy reasons they didnt allow third party ones :(
that's a ton of bullshit. They made their own pro duo or whatever for their camcorders - did they do that because people were pirating software on cameras and camcorders? Lol. It's a convenient justification but ultimately just another way to squeeze wallets or sneakily recover losses from pricing the hardware cheaper to give the illusion of a good deal. 3DS uses basic means and piracy isn't some rampant issue.

Hell, maybe making Vita easy to pirate software on will actually get it to sell.

Their tactic is more like "release a ton of cheap and free games, get them to run out of space so they can buy another card."

But for me it works the opposite way; people call PS plus such an amazing service but for Vita, the costs all even out because of the price gouging vita cards

Jesus that's still a lot of money.

Though somebody who has enough games to fill up this card can probably afford it.
Not quite - the digital games I have on my Vita all add up to be much less than the cost of the card they're stored on - you seem to be forgetting all of the free PS plus games and ridiculously cheap sales at times.

$8 for Killzone Mercenary; takes up nearly 25% of a 16gb card after required patch.

Double standards? Where in his post did he imply that ONLY Sony does this terrible practice? We're focusing on Sony because it's the damn topic. Why does this have to turn into more fanboy "debate" sludge

Not going to bother looking at getting a 64gb card until they hit $80 or so. I paid around $60 or something for my 32gb card and I figure I should be able to sell it to significantly offset the cost of buying an 64gb.

i keep my 32 gb one and swap out games

BEFORE i pay the same for the memory card for the same price as a USED VITA

Yea these 64GB cards MAX should sell for $59.99 with 32GB being $29.99. That gives Sony a little bit of profit but doesn't make such a bad first impression on consumers.
Sony's making a profit at these prices, but it's a proprietary card thats trapped in very low volume production because the Vita didn't have the market success they anticipated. It's not just micro SD in a different form factor -- it's high speed (commodity cards are as fast now, but weren't at Vita launch), unique interface, etc. They're probably making these in small batch runs that aren't economically efficient. Keeps the prices high and system sales low. A vicious circle.

Glad to see these coming stateside despite the price. I imported one a while back and have already filled it up.  :joystick: 

Sony's making a profit at these prices, but it's a proprietary card thats trapped in very low volume production because the Vita didn't have the market success they anticipated. It's not just micro SD in a different form factor -- it's high speed (commodity cards are as fast now, but weren't at Vita launch), unique interface, etc. They're probably making these in small batch runs that aren't economically efficient. Keeps the prices high and system sales low. A vicious circle.
This exactly. It's as Affa said, economics of scale. Micro SD cards are ridiculously cheap because they're churned out in high quantities, but the Vita cards have smaller runs that cost more per unit to produce. Add to that recouping the R&D cost for them. Doesn't mean I don't think they're still over priced, but I don't think it's too far out of scale.

bread's done
Back