- - - - -

PlayStation NOW official thread

Playstation PS4 Streaming

#31 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5985 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

For a person like me who sold both last gen stuff for ps4 a sub for ps now would be great for last gen games. Also should not ps plus be used to pay for Sonys servers. You should not be charging 39.99 for 90 day rentel

#32 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22556 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

Given how bad their rental prices, I can't imagine their subscription prices being much better. EA's pricing is actually pretty decent, even if the game lineup might not be as diverse. $5 a month to stream 4 games is pretty damn reasonable. 

On the other hand, Kilik64 has a point... this service probably wasn't designed to cater to gamers, but to casuals. I mean, it's crazy how much money people pay for digital movies on Google Play or Amazon, and if Sony can get them to buy games for such prices, then I can see why they're pricing games like that. 

#33 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7594 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

Given how bad their rental prices, I can't imagine their subscription prices being much better. EA's pricing is actually pretty decent, even if the game lineup might not be as diverse. $5 a month to stream 4 games is pretty damn reasonable. 

On the other hand, Kilik64 has a point... this service probably wasn't designed to cater to gamers, but to casuals. I mean, it's crazy how much money people pay for digital movies on Google Play or Amazon, and if Sony can get them to buy games for such prices, then I can see why they're pricing games like that. 

Im going to assume (yea i know) you are talking about movie rentals what are usually around 4-6 bucks. The argument against movies is "yea but I can redbox it for 1.50" which doesnt factor in time, effort, gas, time, remembering to take it back and not really paying 3 or more, and lastly time. 4-6 dollars for roughly 2 hours of entertainment is not a bad price even if the other option is technically cheaper if you disregard all the other costs or the opportunity cost of time spent going to redbox. Not to mention the fact that by necessity, redbox will always have a smaller variety.

when you factor in games, the price is 2/day but the time of entertainment can be exceedingly greater than 2 hours. Depending on the game, it could be 100s of hours that could be played on the game. If its a shorter game, the standard time to complete most typical sinlge player gamers is somewhere around 8-10 hours. For me, those type of games would be a minimum 2 day deal as I just dont usually have 8 straight hours to play or 8 hours in a day to play, but 4 hours in two days could work.

So back to ps now. 4 hour rental on a game that could only take 8 hours to complete, is 2-5 dollars for 4 hours, and to beat would cost 4-10 dollars, now seems really on par with redbox when you take out the same things as to why people will pay to rent movies on demand at a premium price, no driving, larger selection, less effort, less time, dont have to remember to return the game, etc.

Current game example, Wolfenstein New Order, can be beat in 10-12 hours, and if they could get it priced to where it was either like the example above, or around say 10-15 for a week, where you could easily beat the game and still have time to do some trophy hunting, thats not a bad deal.

Now factor in that you can do that on a bravia tv and your only other cost was a ds3 or ds4 (which your tv maybe even came with....) and you didnt have to buy a console to get roughly the same experience...

Yea I can see how this would work for casuals. 

Again, not aimed at gamers, and no reason for a sub plan. Real "gamers" wont stand for the small amount of lag, prefer to actually own games, and are willing to spend more money to get a better experience.

Yea wall of text but basically a thinking out loud post.

#34 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5985 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

if the market sony is going after for ps now  is so call not "real" gamers then why would you think a non "real" gamer would sit and play game non stop in a day to beat it. Either sony needs to offer sub version or lower renting prices.

#35 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7594 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

if the market sony is going after for ps now  is so call not "real" gamers then why would you think a non "real" gamer would sit and play game non stop in a day to beat it. Either sony needs to offer sub version or lower renting prices.

They wouldnt, they would pay for the week rental. 2 bucks for four hours to see if you like a game, then another 10ish for a week to rent, so 12 total for a rental is still not terrible.

If you know you'll like the game, just the 10ish for a week would still have value for a lot of folks.

Taking this stuff even further. A good for instance would again be wolfenstein. If a person bought the game for 60, kept it for a couple of weeks and traded back at 40, they effectively rented the game for 20 dollars right?

2 weeks rental at 10/week is basically the same thing but has the lazy factor. Dont have to go to the store to buy the game, return to gamestop or bestbuy for tradein, which still locks up 40 dollars from the original 60 in credit. And again, all the other stuff about not having to own the console. 

So how is renting the game for 20 different then buying the game and trading back in for effectively the same amount? This scenario would only work for certain games (sp only as Fuck trying to play mp with the little lag that there is, and has to be somewhat short so no RPGs), but still has some uses.

#36 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

What I think a lot of people are forgetting was how much places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster used to charge for game rentals.  I never thought differently about them.  Really they priced the weekly rentals perfectly at an average of $6 for a week.  With Redbox at $2 a day on rentals, this beats that price so for a weekly rental it is perfect, and i believe that is a perfect amount of time to put on a game.

The other ones are ridiculous, but some of that pricing is not Sony's choice but rather the publishers.  If they can come up with a great streaming price it would work great, only problem is if the streaming unlimited price is less than a 90 day rental etc. then it would make that pricing unusable.  So no idea what they may come out with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation, PS4, Streaming