Gears of War: Judgment (360) $9.99 @ Amazon

Was this game THAT bad? I remember hearing lots of bad things from fans. My cousin has a 360 I could play it on, and I have been hankering for some Gears lately.

I think they just produced a shit ton of copies and it didn't sell well. multiplayer wasnt great so tons of copies traded in resulted in a quickly dropping price

Of all the games for Amazon to match, they pick this. I was not happy with this game unlike gears 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is bad. The whole game is based around challenge levels that tell the "real story" except a bunch are too hard and it's a fucking lame way to make the game longer. The story isn't good. It's not worth playing unless you're desperate.

this game sucks crap, literally only like 6 multiplayer levels and it just overall sucks. do yourself a favor and dont buy this.

My only reason for maybe buying this is I only have like 250 achievement points for it because I rented it and blew through the game. It is not "bad" but really it is like an endless horde mode but with a story mode in between.  I need to look at what achievements are doable that I have left and then decide.

EDIT: Just looked quickly and fuck that.  Seems there was a reason I only got 250 (I guess it was more like 385).  There are some left that may be easy to get but the majority look like a grind or just not possible

at my skill level.

EDIT: Looking at these achievements just reminds my how much I hate EPIC's idea of "cool" achievements.

Golden Artifacts

Won public/ranked game of Execution on Museum with all players using Gold character and weapon skins

I don't have time to put that kind of shit together.

Was this game THAT bad? I remember hearing lots of bad things from fans. My cousin has a 360 I could play it on, and I have been hankering for some Gears lately.
The campaign was so-so. I don't think the game is worth picking up for the campaign unless you actually liked the Gears of War setting/story. The multiplayer was horrible. I don't understand why they tried to change a already proven formula just for the sake of it. It was a pretty dumb move on their part.

the only reason this game was released was to be a cash cow. if your planning to get all the achievements dont forget about the 20 dollar dlc that only comes with like 3 packs of dlc. this game is such a money grab.

Hankering for Gears? Play 1 or 3. 2 was completely terrible after the majesty of Gears 1, but even it was better than Judgment. The campaign was okay and the challenges were kind of fun, but multiplayer went from robust in gears 3 to simpler than gears 1

it was OK. The entire game is like Horde Mode wave based challenges with the story being told around them. If you're a big Gears fan like me then its worth playing, but its a huge drop-off from the epicness that was Gears 1/2/3.

It's not bad at all. I've played through all the gears games and certain parts of this one I like better. Having said this part 3 was probably the best as far as the amount of content but judgement is really fun as well and for the price you can't go wrong. I read that the reason judgement has gotten so much bad press is because when the game launched the online multiplayer was messed up and it took them 6 months to fix it which really left a bad taste is people's mouths but by the time I picked it up the problem had been fixed because I've had no issues.

I played the campaign in co-op and thought it was pretty fun. I never played the multiplayer of any GoW game so can't comment on that. I would recommend it at $9.99.

Excellent game, tied with Gears 3 as best of the series.

Even the campaign was great. Anyone saying that it was just a Horde mode has obviously never played it. There are only a few levels where your goal is to defend a spot. The rest of the game is just like other Gears campaigns: you push forward towards a goal, while fighting through cool setpieces. There are even new types of enemies and new weapons. The end boss is awesome, too. The game also added a ranking system so you have incentive to replay and aim for 3-star ranks, plus optional objectives ("Declassified") which make the game harder (example: fight using only certain weapon, clear mission within X amount of time, no health regen, etc.)

As for bonus modes (besides the normal multiplayer), Survival is a lot of fun. It's a class-based Horde mode, basically. Then there's also Overrun, which lets you play as the Locust as well (and it's wayyyy better than Beast mode was in Gears 3).

It took much longer for Judgment to hit $10 than Gears 3, but at least it finally happened.

Excellent game, tied with Gears 3 as best of the series.

Even the campaign was great. Anyone saying that it was just a Horde mode has obviously never played it. There are only a few levels where your goal is to defend a spot.
beat it on Insane and got the extra three stars on every single stage. Saying its just like the first 3 games, level design-wise, is just being flat out disingenuous.

I think the main campaign is worth 10 bucks. Especially if you like gears of war, or are mildly interested in it. The game looks beautiful for last gen. The thing thats really bad is the Multiplayer unless you love spamming nades and throwing melee attacks. But the Overrun mode is pretty fun. But honestly the online community is really low, so you might end up playing with or against bots.  If you are an achievement whore steer clear of this game. It might be a GWG game but i would rather see MS give Gears 3 away, you know a game that still has a pretty good online community. Would be nice to see a lot of new people jump into MP in Gears 3 and see the population grow, even if its just a bit.

best in the series? no not even. a bad game? nope, its still a solid game. easily worth 10 dollars and certainly worth the 37.99 I got it at launch via newegg because I forgot I had ordered it lol

Better ways IMHO to spend $10 bucks, even at GS.  Was a major Gearhead for a long time last-gen (3 got dozens of hours, maybe even 100s from me.  I know it's sad) but Judgment really broke me.  To each their own, and there's certainly a fair amount of variety and content for $10 especially if you have co-op buds to play it with you, but certainly think twice and watch read/watch some reviews.

P.S. Sorry if this was a debbie downer post, I try not to drag things down here on CAG.  Good Post OP.

Its an arcade version of Gears of War, probably the simplest way I could put it. IMO its a decent pick up at $10.
Fun Fact 1:

That's actually exactly what it was. Someone decided to sell if for $60 instead. Epic, or Microsoft, or maybe both, let greed dictate their appreciation for fans. $10 is a great price, though. If you have friends to play through the campaign, or versus, or overrun, or survival modes, you should have fun. I played with a few people from this site in those modes and really enjoyed that. It just was over priced and lacked content, and also made Epic look bad for their responses to the public.

My only reason for maybe buying this is I only have like 250 achievement points for it because I rented it and blew through the game. I need to look at what achievements are doable that I have left and then decide.

EDIT: Just looked quickly and fuck that. Seems there was a reason I only got 250 (I guess it was more like 385). There are some left that may be easy to get but the majority look like a grind or just not possible

at my skill level.

EDIT: Looking at these achievements just reminds my how much I hate EPIC's idea of "cool" achievements.

Golden Artifacts

Won public/ranked game of Execution on Museum with all players using Gold character and weapon skins

I don't have time to put that kind of shit together.
Fun Fact 2:

Most of the fun achievements gamers hate were created by Rod Fergusson, the guy who was the Producer of the games when Epic was making them. He, along with many other Epic employees, conspicuously left Epic just prior to the release of this game. He's now the Producer of the series again, this time with Black Tusk for Microsoft. If you hate those types of achievements, you're likely to see them again when the series continues on Xbox One.

It should be noted though that most of the multiplayer achievements (on disc and DLC) can be earned in Private games against bots. The game was updated to allow this, so you can earn at least a few more than you currently have. But Golden Artifacts is worse than you imagine, as it requires more luck than time.

Don't buy the Season Pass at $20, though. It should be no more than $10 for how little it gives, and really should have been in the game initially.

GoWJ is ok but there is one problem - Gears 3 exists.
This.

They went so far backwards on the multiplayer. It's just not worth it.

The most painful thing for MP wasn't even the gameplay either. It was the lack of maps at launch, and no horde mode.

I would only get this game if you a rabbid Gears fan as the single player campaign is OK. Everything else about the game just sucks.

You can still get a used copy on Amazon Warehouse for $9 that is Like New. But chances are you won't get the Gears of War 1 redeem code which came with this game for free on all new copys AFAIK.

Then again Gears 1 was on Games With Gold so you might own it already anyways.

It's not as good as the numbered Gears games, no, but it's still a good game in its own right and certainly worth $10.

I had a lot of fun with this game despite it not being on the same level as the previous gears. It's worth $10. 

To add to what a lot of people are saying - this is nowhere near as good as Gears 2 or Gears 3, but, it's still fun, and pretty good.  Did not include a lot of value at $60 full price, but easily worth $10.  The campaign is fun and fast paced, a little different from the other games, but still enjoyable, especially with co-op.  Not very many maps in the multiplayer, but it's fun in small doses.  Hard to spend hours and hours playing since the lack of variety in the maps and the game modes will get old faster, but it is still fun in smaller doses.

Definitely not a bad purchase at $10.  Hope for another sale on the DLC if you buy it now.

Its too new, try again in 3 years.
Newer GWG has stepped up, I'd give it another year or less.

Really depends on how long MS goes with GWG as well, they will probably keep going till Sony stops with the PS3.

I picked this up at my local gs. Actually got a sealed new copy with the gears 1 pass in it. I only say that because my local gs always give you new games that have been resealed and almost always have been gutted.

bread's done
Back