How much should welfare cover? How long?

egofed

CAGiversary!
http://toprightnews.com/?p=6192

According to this article, this 350 lb woman receives $36,000/ year in payments and $62,000/ year in total gov't (British) welfare. She has 2 kids by 2 separate men. She wishes for more benefits to give her an "incentive" to lose weight. 

Wouldn't the food voucher system be of much better benefit to this family instead of allowing them to buy so much junk? She has made poor decisions, yet makes more than many actual working people. Is this acceptable and if so, for how long?

I think you should have 2 kids and call me in the morning when the mother leaves you high and dry. THEN you can tell me how easy it is. TIA

http://toprightnews.com/?p=6192

According to this article, this 350 lb woman receives $36,000/ year in payments and $62,000/ year in total gov't (British) welfare. She has 2 kids by 2 separate men. She wishes for more benefits to give her an "incentive" to lose weight.

Wouldn't the food voucher system be of much better benefit to this family instead of allowing them to buy so much junk? She has made poor decisions, yet makes more than many actual working people. Is this acceptable and if so, for how long?
They allow people here to do the same thing. Hell there are even classes in high schools that show how to sign up for all of this crap instead of finding jobs.

Hell there was even ads on TV. Have a child need more money all you have to do is have more children and you will get more cash. I say you have a child and you cant afford them and you have a 2 , 3. 4 and more YOU SHOULD NOT GET A PENNY MORE THEN YOU WAS GETTING WITH YOUR FIRST. Cant afford them and abuse them for not feeding them then you should have your ass tossed in prison. You knew you could not afford your first child yet you have 4 more. fuck them sick of all of my money going to support these son of bitches

My health went up 40% this upcoming year and you have all of these people saying O OBAMACARE made insurance come down but when you ask them if they are paying for insurance they go NO IM ON MEDICADE i get it for free , i go maybe you should get off your ass and find a job and then try to pay for your own insurance before opening your fat mouth about how low health insurance is

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much all welfare, including foodstamps, checks, healthcare, HUD, etc. should be abolished and made illegal by an amendment to the Constitution.

Until that time, we need to drug test every single motherfucker that gets one cent from it. One failed test, you're out forever, and actually given a tattoo that says you failed the test.

I think you should have 2 kids and call me in the morning when the mother leaves you high and dry. THEN you can tell me how easy it is. TIA
So if I make bad decisions to have kids I can't afford with two separate people that leave (the story doesn't say if she was married twice or not, I'm guessing not;-) ), then I should expect the gov't to give me $62,000 of other peoples monies? She also says she has limited knowledge on exercise, healthy food choices, and basic health in general. I definitely want to "incentivize" her maternal instinct to pop out a few more dependents because she is soooo prepared to mold them into productive, reasonable members of society. :roll: I have a problem with rewarding idiots with a better income for reproducing then people who actually work for a living.

So if I make bad decisions to have kids I can't afford with two separate people that leave (the story doesn't say if she was married twice or not, I'm guessing not;-) ), then I should expect the gov't to give me $62,000 of other peoples monies? She also says she has limited knowledge on exercise, healthy food choices, and basic health in general. I definitely want to "incentivize" her maternal instinct to pop out a few more dependents because she is soooo prepared to mold them into productive, reasonable members of society. :roll: I have a problem with rewarding idiots with a better income for reproducing then people who actually work for a living.
Yeah, they totally just hand over a $62k check and say "Have fun!"

I'm also super surprised that you bothered to do the currency conversion BACK to GBP from USD while giving context on the actual cost of living in her area. And all this time, I thought you were just another shithead troll! Thanks for showing me up! FREE Abortions for EVERYONE! ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!

I found it a little amusing that they included healthcare costs in her "welfare" despite that being something all English residents would qualify for, given their healthcare system.  Heck, I'm surprised they didn't include the cost of her government provided schools and police protection.

Anyway, singular cases are a bad way to decide "how much should welfare cover?"  Presumably, she gets the same amount as a 120lb woman in the same situation who applies for the same benefits.  I think her "I should get paid to lose weight" comments are dumb but people say dumb things all the time.

I found it a little amusing that they included healthcare costs in her "welfare" despite that being something all English residents would qualify for, given their healthcare system. Heck, I'm surprised they didn't include the cost of her government provided schools and police protection.

Anyway, singular cases are a bad way to decide "how much should welfare cover?" Presumably, she gets the same amount as a 120lb woman in the same situation who applies for the same benefits. I think her "I should get paid to lose weight" comments are dumb but people say dumb things all the time.
This would be a good point IF she pays any income tax. The money for healthcare, schools, and police all comes from taxes. Does she receive more than a full time minimum wage worker over there?

Does she receive more healthcare or police protection than the average UK citizen?  Beats me.  Probably not to any significant degree.  Point being that it's stupid to include healthcare into the "welfare" costs in the UK.  Government provided healthcare in the UK isn't "welfare" (i.e. safety net expressly intended for the impoverished), it's just part of being a citizen.  The only reason to include it into the value of her benefits is to inflate the number.

But, as I said, singular anecdotes are a terrible way of deciding social policy anyway.

This would be a good point IF she pays any income tax. The money for healthcare, schools, and police all comes from taxes. Does she receive more than a full time minimum wage worker over there?
See that is the thing, if you don't pay the tax, then you are a leech. Her health insurance IS welfare because she is not contributing a dime to it. I would even say that her children going to school is welfare as well. If they graduate, they should be required to pay for their education that everyone else paid for, because their mother was too lazy to get a job.

What is it about that concept that is so hard for Liberals to understand?

See that is the thing, if you don't pay the tax, then you are a leech.
If that's the case, then you're a leech unless your taxes are covering 100% of the cost of the benefits you're receiving. Which is the case for very, very few people whether they pay taxes or not.

If that's the case, then you're a leech unless your taxes are covering 100% of the cost of the benefits you're receiving. Which is the case for very, very few people whether they pay taxes or not.
I forgot the Liberal rules of engagement, my fault.

I work, pay my share, and support myself, unlike anyone who would vote for a Democrat.

I forgot the Liberal rules of engagement, my fault.

I work, pay my share, and support myself, unlike anyone who would vote for a Democrat.
You pay "your share"? As in less than 100% of the amount of benefits you take? Sounds pretty leechy to me but I suppose crying "liberal rules of engagement" is one way to feel like less of a hypocrite.

Funny thing is, the ones who are most likely to pay in 100% or more w/r/t their benefits are the ones folks are screaming to pay *more* in.

Funny thing is, the ones who are most likely to pay in 100% or more w/r/t their benefits are the ones folks are screaming to pay *more* in.
Gotta do that math the common core way. 100% is equivalent to 100-82+16-3+1,855,235-234-1,855,032, which is what Liberals think everyone, except white people should pay.

Too bad the politicians spend most of their time talking about whether or not welfare actually helps or hurts people, because it turns out there's very little data that the government programs actually work.

It's messed up that toy companies, and other companies like Target knows a lot more about the average American (from income level, racial makeup, how much you'll spend, what you will buy, what will appeal to you, etc )than the government with what a person does with that welfare money. Ever try to apply for it? In order to combat "fraud," applicants have to undergo an even worse experience than going to the DMV or standing in line at Disney World PLUS an IRS audit just to get a measly $300 in food stamps a month. You have to have all your financial information, forms of ID (Passport, Birth Certficate, Social Security Card), proof of address (especially lease and bills), and whatever else. You'd have an easier time legally buying a gun and be a menace to society than to be some schmoe trying to get a pittance to survive. But once you get that pittance, we can party with our refrigerators and xboxes.

Too bad the politicians spend most of their time talking about whether or not welfare actually helps or hurts people, because it turns out there's very little data that the government programs actually work.

It's messed up that toy companies, and other companies like Target knows a lot more about the average American (from income level, racial makeup, how much you'll spend, what you will buy, what will appeal to you, etc )than the government with what a person does with that welfare money. Ever try to apply for it? In order to combat "fraud," applicants have to undergo an even worse experience than going to the DMV or standing in line at Disney World PLUS an IRS audit just to get a measly $300 in food stamps a month. You have to have all your financial information, forms of ID (Passport, Birth Certficate, Social Security Card), proof of address (especially lease and bills), and whatever else. You'd have an easier time legally buying a gun and be a menace to society than to be some schmoe trying to get a pittance to survive. But once you get that pittance, we can party with our refrigerators and xboxes.
Believe me, the hoops I had to jump through for medical assistance to cover my appendectomy last year were immense. I consider myself a savvy and organized person but the amount of paperwork and records I had to get together for both my initial application and appeal was quite overwhelming.

Believe me, the hoops I had to jump through for medical assistance to cover my appendectomy last year were immense. I consider myself a savvy and organized person but the amount of paperwork and records I had to get together for both my initial application and appeal was quite overwhelming.
LOL.

As someone who has helped several family members get assistance (my girlfriend's family) it's not nearly as difficult as either of you make it out to be.

Neither my girlfriend's sister or brother have ever had an official government photo ID. They're not even residents of Maine but I was able to get them a ME state ID buy simply buying something from bestbuy.com in their name and having it shipped to my address. That was enough proof to satisfy proof of residency as far as the DMV (it's actually the Bureau of Motor Vehicles here (BMV)) was concerned.

They just used the packing slip along with I believe their Birth Certificate. Kind of crazy they didn't need any sort of photo ID to get a photo ID.

Once they got a state ID it was less then an hour at the state/DHS building to prove no income. Because my girlfriends sister was pregnant she got food stamps and TANF money almost instantly. They brother is still waiting a few weeks later but should get EBT money very soon. They were pretty adamant that she put a "potential" father down on the form so they could go after child support but that was easiest enough to bypass with a "wild weekend" story.

We try to help her out as much as we can but some people have just developed really bad habits by growing up in a system where everyone exploits.

TANF can so easily be abused---it can just be withdrawn as cash and then put in a separate bank account where she can send money to a boyfriend and family member via WU who are currently serving time in the CT DOC.

I have no idea why I was required to provide receipts for everything I purchased with scholarship funds while on College (athletic scholarship) but people who get government money can withdraw it as cash without ever being required to provide documentation of what they purchased.

A simple 4-6 hour "course" prior to receiving benefits on what you are and are not supposed to buy is all that was required.

LOL.

As someone who has helped several family members get assistance (my girlfriend's family) it's not nearly as difficult as either of you make it out to be.

Neither my girlfriend's sister or brother have ever had an official government photo ID. They're not even residents of Maine but I was able to get them a ME state ID buy simply buying something from bestbuy.com in their name and having it shipped to my address. That was enough proof to satisfy proof of residency as far as the DMV (it's actually the Bureau of Motor Vehicles here (BMV)) was concerned.

They just used the packing slip along with I believe their Birth Certificate. Kind of crazy they didn't need any sort of photo ID to get a photo ID.

Once they got a state ID it was less then an hour at the state/DHS building to prove no income. Because my girlfriends sister was pregnant she got food stamps and TANF money almost instantly. They brother is still waiting a few weeks later but should get EBT money very soon. They were pretty adamant that she put a "potential" father down on the form so they could go after child support but that was easiest enough to bypass with a "wild weekend" story.

We try to help her out as much as we can but some people have just developed really bad habits by growing up in a system where everyone exploits.

TANF can so easily be abused---it can just be withdrawn as cash and then put in a separate bank account where she can send money to a boyfriend and family member via WU who are currently serving time in the CT DOC.

I have no idea why I was required to provide receipts for everything I purchased with scholarship funds while on College (athletic scholarship) but people who get government money can withdraw it as cash without ever being required to provide documentation of what they purchased.

A simple 4-6 hour "course" prior to receiving benefits on what you are and are not supposed to buy is all that was required.
Oh, I'm sorry did I forget to mention that I was in Maine too? No wait, I didn't say it because I'm not fucking in Maine. Furthermore, none of your stories mention medical assistance at all. It's state specific, and while it might be oh so easy in Maine, it wasn't in my state. It required extensive documentation, written letters, and records. But please, tell me about how my 4 month process actually worked because clearly you know it better than I lived it.

Complaining about someone telling anecdotes in response to one's own anecdotes... Where's that "Anecdotes... Anecdotes Everywhere" jpg when you need it?

Oh, I'm sorry did I forget to mention that I was in Maine too? No wait, I didn't say it because I'm not fucking in Maine. Furthermore, none of your stories mention medical assistance at all. It's state specific numbnuts, and while it might be oh so easy in Maine, it wasn't in my state. It required extensive documentation, written letters, and records. But please, tell me about how my 4 month process actually worked because clearly you know it better than I lived it.
What state?

Aw. I thought you had me on ignore this whole time.

Guess you just had to speak up when I pointed out how ridiculous your complaining about anecdotes was.
Hey little buddy, yeah I did have you on ignore but I saw your comment from the thread preview.

Did you have a good day today? None of the other kids picked on you again like that time you had that accident, did they?

Don't worry champ, things'll turn around for you some day and the other kids'll see just what makes you our special little guy.

I want to hear more about how much the state of Maine was defrauded out of....
It's not fraud if his family qualified for benefits unless your definition of "fraud" means "something you don't approve of," which seems the case for a vast majority of conservatives.

edit: Wrong on this one! Guess he DID defraud the government! :lol:

It's not fraud if his family qualified for benefits unless your definition of "fraud" means "something you don't approve of," which seems the case for a vast majority of conservatives.
Really, I'm not sure what point was being made. The possible fraud I saw was them portraying themselves as Maine residents when they weren't really Maine residents. Now, that could have been because their home state had higher income guidelines to qualify but it still begs the question of, if they weren't Maine residents, why did they want to portray themselves as such? Because government assistance is easier to obtain there than their actual home state? If that's the case it undermines GBAstar's entire point which was seemingly that all government assistance is easy to obtain.

bread's done
Back