Buy Call of Duty Advanced Warfare [Digital Only] on PS3/Xbox 360, Upgrade to PS4/X1 for Free

Doesn't go the opposite way right? And you get two copies? Like one to play on previous gen and next gen? If so, I'll preorder it now I suppose.

Doesn't go the opposite way right? And you get two copies? Like one to play on previous gen and next gen? If so, I'll preorder it now I suppose.
Promotion looks similar to the Destiny one. It doesn't go the opposite direction. That would be a downgrade...

Now the question is... when will the Xbox 360 version be available for download? 

The whole Day Zero thing where you can play on Monday is only good for pre-orders and 360 owners can't pre-order.

Destiny was a no brainer for me to do last promo. I also had the COD Ghost upgrade code that I used to get both versions for $20. This is another no brainer, I need to buy 2 more $59.99 games to get $20 back on XBL rewards. I buy this and I'll need 1 more. I'm in.

i am loving this type of deal. did it with destiny and now i can play with friends on both the x360 and xb1 whenever i want. must be an activision thing, since activision is the publisher for both destiny and call of duty.

Note the PlayStation blog words the promotion in a way making it sound like if you purchase the PS4 version you'll still get the PS3 version for free.

Taken from the website.

When you buy/redeem the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Base Game, Digital Pro Edition, or Season Pass for PS3 or PS4 by March 31st, 2015, you can download the other version from the PlayStation Store for free

That might be a mistake since the Call of Duty website doesn't say anything about it, but you never know.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/07/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-available-for-ps3-ps4-cross-buy/

So if I want to participate in this program I can't preorder the game since Xbox 360 doesn't allow digital preorders? Is this right?

Good deal, and glad Activision announced this further in advance then say Destiny. Was kinda bummed I missed out on a free* 360 copy.

Promotion looks similar to the Destiny one. It doesn't go the opposite direction. That would be a downgrade...
Thanks htz. I only asked because I'd buy it on XB1, and then let my little bros download the 360 version on their 360.

I was planning on waiting until the week after Christmas to grab it at BB for $35 minus GCU, but I guess I'll spend some of my free XBL cred from GS on this!

I am SO in on this.... plus license share it with a buddy. Get both versions for 30 plus 25 each for the season pass Hell Yes!!

I wish it would go both ways. It's unfair we can't take part in the pre-order on xbox. They should make it so we just get an email with a code to download on 360 if purchased on xbox one. That would be nice. Except people would probably try to sell it.

What's to stop you from getting the Xbox 360 version and then trading it in/selling it once you get to download the Xbox One version? I know for PS4 games you had to keep the older version's disc in to be able to play the download, but I don't remember that being a thing on the Xbox One.

If you could go about it that way I'd buy the 360 version from Best Buy for $50 plus the $10 certificate, get the download for XB1 and then trade it back for $40. End up with a new copy for free/$10 out of pocket.

Hi,

Sorry for a newbie question, but I am a dad so cut me a bit of slack.....

Can I get this for my 360 and then use the X1 version for my son? We have different accounts so I am not sure how that would work.

Thanks.

What's to stop you from getting the Xbox 360 version and then trading it in/selling it once you get to download the Xbox One version? I know for PS4 games you had to keep the older version's disc in to be able to play the download, but I don't remember that being a thing on the Xbox One.

If you could go about it that way I'd buy the 360 version from Best Buy for $50 plus the $10 certificate, get the download for XB1 and then trade it back for $40. End up with a new copy for free/$10 out of pocket.
I don't think the physical version is getting the free upgrade. It appears to be the digital version only.

You do realize that the free upgrade only applies when you buy the digital version right?

Hi,

Can I get this for my 360 and then use the X1 version for my son? We have different accounts so I am not sure how that would work.

Thanks.
You'd need to have your profile on his Xbox One and set it as your Home Console so you can download the game and he can play it even if you aren't logged in. Otherwise it should work fine.

[quote name="daddy69" post="12147223" timestamp="1412792616"]You do realize that the free upgrade only applies when you buy the digital version right?[/quote]
Lol

[quote name="levanjm" post="12147198" timestamp="1412792154"]Hi,

Thanks.[/quote]

That would only work on the same account. If you buy it for 360 on your account, you can upgrade to xbox one free. You can use the xbox one version and he can use the 360 version but only on your account.

That would only work on the same account. If you buy it for 360 on your account, you can upgrade to xbox one free. You can use the xbox one version and he can use the 360 version but only on your account.
This is false. If he buys the Xbox 360 version he'll be able to play it on his Xbox 360, and then if he puts his profile on his sons console and downloads the game while setting the console as his "Home Console" his son can play the game even if he isn't logged in.

The Home Console setting on the Xbox One allows anybody to access your digital games even if you aren't logged in yourself, and they also get access to your Xbox Live gold benefits.

Technically speaking they could both play the Xbox One version if he has two systems, he just sets his sons console as the Home Console and downloads the game on it, then downloads the game on his Xbox One and they can both play it at the same time.

This is a great deal. Good job Activision. Gonna buy the PS3 version to have the PS4 version as well. Sweet. Same as Destiny, and that worked excellent. Been able to play on 360 with friends, and when I play solo I play on next gen systems. Great promos, hope more companies follow suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I was just curious if anyone knows the answer to my question.
I have a PS3 and I want to get CoD:AW, but I was thinking I should wait until I get a PS4. Now that there's the deal where you can buy the digital version for the PS3 and get a free digital copy for PS4. The Call of Duty website says the offer lasts through 3/31/15, but I won't have a PS4 until late next year. I figured it'd be worth it to buy the game now so I can play it and also have a free next-gen version on reserve for when I finally get a PS4.
Does anyone know if the download expires after March 31, or is it just the offer that expires? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, so I was just curious if anyone knows the answer to my question.
I have a PS3 and I want to get CoD:AW, but I was thinking I should wait until I get a PS4. Now that there's the deal where you can buy the digital version for the PS3 and get a free digital copy for PS4. The Call of Duty website says the offer lasts through 3/31/15, but I won't have a PS4 until late next year. I figured it'd be worth it to buy the game now so I can play it and also have a free next-gen version on reserve for when I finally get a PS4.
Does anyone know if the download expires after March 31, or is it just the offer that expires? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
the game has to be downloaded to the ps4 by that time

Not bad. Planning to buy the Digital Pro Edition for the PS3/PS4 and then getting $15 back once I spend a penny on the PSN store LOL.

Well darn! I was hoping it'd be permanently available after buying the PS3 version. Lol.
Actually, you can still get the PS4 version "reserved" and not have a PS4 system yet I think. Just buy the PS3 digital version, and redeem the PS4 version on the playstation network store website. Then your account would digitally own the PS4 version. No PS4 system actually required to my understanding, so it should work.

So how does this work? Do you get a code?
No code. Giving a code away would allow others to resell them for a large % back. Once you buy the last gen version, you get the current gen version available on your current gen system. On the PS side, the game is cross buy, so either version gets you both.

Actually, you can still get the PS4 version "reserved" and not have a PS4 system yet I think. Just buy the PS3 digital version, and redeem the PS4 version on the playstation network store website. Then your account would digitally own the PS4 version. No PS4 system actually required to my understanding, so it should work.
I was just thinking, if I purchase the PS4 version on the website, wouldn't I then own it and be able to download the PS3 version for free?

I know this is for the PS3 version, but I'm assuming it's the same steps for the PS4.
The only thing that confuses me is what it says on the CoD website:

"Q. When I buy/redeem the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Base Game, Digital Pro Edition, or Season Pass for PlayStation®3, how do I get the free PlayStation®4 version?

A. When you buy/redeem the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Base Game or Season Pass for PlayStation®3 by March 31st, 2015, you can download the PlayStation®4 copy from the PlayStation® Store for free by doing the following:

- Log into your PlayStation®4 using the same Sony Entertainment Network Account (PSN ID) used to buy/redeem the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Base Game or Season Pass on PlayStation®3.
- Navigate to the digital content’s location in the PlayStation® Store.
- Add the item to your download queue and wait for the download to complete."

^ that last step confuses me. Do you have to download the PS3 version before you can download the PS4 version and vice versa?

Not bad. Planning to buy the Digital Pro Edition for the PS3/PS4 and then getting $15 back once I spend a penny on the PSN store LOL.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I've been kind of disappointed with the map packs lately. also, I get destroyed in online multiplayer anyway... maybe I'll do COD and Far Cry 4 or GTA.

Note the PlayStation blog words the promotion in a way making it sound like if you purchase the PS4 version you'll still get the PS3 version for free.

Taken from the website.

When you buy/redeem the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Base Game, Digital Pro Edition, or Season Pass for PS3 or PS4 by March 31st, 2015, you can download the other version from the PlayStation Store for free

That might be a mistake since the Call of Duty website doesn't say anything about it, but you never know.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/07/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-available-for-ps3-ps4-cross-buy/
I hope so, but so far as someone who thoughtlessly pre-ordered the digital pro edition for PS4 as soon as the spend $100 get $15 deal popped up on the PS Store I don't see the PS3 version displayed as pre-ordered yet, it's still showing it's price. Maybe it'll update soon. I really don't feel like dealing with Sony customer service so if the promotion doesn't apply to me now I'll just wait until I get a PS4 to play the game.

bread's done
Back