CAGcast #386: Call of Doody: Advanced Podcasting

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The crew is reunited and it feels so good!  We talk CoD: Advanced Warfare, Nintendo, Sunset Overdrive, Fantasia, landfill Atari games and so much more!
Download (1 hour 20 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

Thanks to our sponsor, RETRO Magazine

https://audioboom.com/boos/2626467-cagcast-386-call-of-doody-advanced-podcasting

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Outro

Note: There are a few extra seconds of silence on the end of the show.  No time to fix it now.  Enjoy the silence!

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of your new episodes are dated incorrectly and show up as 12/31/1600. This makes it seem like there haven't been any new episodes in months because the newer ones are pushed to the back of the list. I'm using the podcasts! Windows 8.1/Windows Phone app. I'd post a pic but I don't have 3 posts yet.

Hmmm.

Screenshot_738.png

Medal of Honor Warfighter, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Call of Duty (Modern/Advanced) Warfare. People like to use war in their games name.

Thanks to Wombat's incessant pushiness, I am now a Retro Magazine backer/subscriber. :p Great (and appropriate) sponsor for the show.

Also, it's good to have Cheapy back, although Wombat and Shipwreck did a fine job holding it together while he was gone.

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this podcast together each week.  I always look forward to it.  Have a great week y'all.

Which multiplatform games look better on the Xbox One?  Strider is the only one I can think of off hand.

It's pretty incredible that after a full year in which dozens of games have been released that run at higher resolutions and/or higher framerates on the PS4 that Cheapy is still trying to downplay the difference and claim that games don't look sharper on the PS4.

Mordor is the next AAA multiplatform title I'm interested in buying.  Like AC4 and Diablo 3 before it, it's better on the PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-face-off

Sounds like a mach rider remix in the intro?

Nope, 1 console per generation for me for the last two gens and that will likely continue whenever I get a PS4 for this current gen. In gens before that there was such a difference in the library (particularly in the PS1 vs N64 gen) that you pretty much had to get more than one console. Now, it's like 90% multiplatform and 10% console exclusives (if you add PC in the mix then it's even less than that) so to me it's not worth the cabinet real estate, cash, or time investment in another console for the small cross section where the two systems don't overlap. Especially now that I would have to pay for two different subscriptions in order to play multiplayer on both consoles.

Enter me in the retro magazine contest.

Does anyone else get the vibe that the gang is hella-excited that Cheapy's coming back to he olde US of A? The last 4-5 episodes have been super high-energy and it keeps me super- pumped at work. Thanks again for the great episodes and keep up the excellent work!

Also, please add me to that Retro Magazine contest~

Welcome back Cheapy! I think your listeners just appreciated the show continuing without you - but the show is much better with you on it. You guys are SO dismissive of anything Nintendo. Super Smash, Bayo 2 and Capt. toad is an awesome lineup of exclusives for holiday 2014. I'd also like an entry for the retro magazine sub.

Retro magazine looks pretty cool! Will have to tell my wife for Christmas or something.

That talk on Destiny 2 makes me want to throw up. That game was not what I expected at all. I guess I was picturing more action like halo reach firefights and less grindyness to get to the fun parts. It makes me think of free to play games when they put a wall of boring around the fun. I think I stopped at level 24ish cuz I couldn't find the fun. I tried to play recently and as soon as the ship loading screen was playing to take me to town I turned it off and played plants vs zombies garden warfare instead. I wonder if it was first built with free to play in mind so you could buy epics to be level 28 and do the raid?

Wombat, you keep mentioning a Halo bundle. The only Halo bundle I have heard of is a potential one for Halo 5 next year. Unless you have news of one for the master chief collection?

Shipwreck, I'm a little surprised you aren't buying a dirty ET cartridge, I thought if anyone on CAG did it would be you. I have no interest in them though. I'm excited to watch that documentary.

Glad to hear the crew all back together, Cheapy makes a good buffer.

Glad to have you back, Cheapy. The intro music was pretty great. Please enter me in the Retro contest.

Wombat I right, Kinect Party is the best Kinect game of all time. That they never made one for Xbox One boggles me. My nieces played that so much and would friends over to play. Visiting kids would remember it and ask to play the "TV game."

It makes sense for Activision to be skittish about Destiny's actual sale numbers b/c of Call of Duty. It can't possibly be the download numbers, considering the fact that American broadband speeds are terrible, though it would be nice to see those numbers.

Wombat, if you haven't given away the Retro Gamer Magazine subscriptions, I'm interested in one.

So maybe I would say Super Mario World is definitely a go-to retro game, considering it had freakin' amazing graphics compared to the NES era, which was only two years ago at the time of its release.

So glad Cheapy is back! Just wasn't the same without his corny jokes. 

Shipwreck, any more opinions on the Borderlands prequel now that you have had more time with it?

Are you guys playing any more PC games lately? It seems like Cheapy and Shipwreck have shifted focus back to the new gen consoles now that some quality games are coming out. Has anyone played Civilization: Beyond Earth? 

Also, so excited about your new sponsor! I'm totally interested in the Retro game magazine subscription! Sign me up for the contest!

Listen to Wombat when he talks about the Atari landfill games. He sounds exactly like Jiminy Glick...LOL!!

Certainly nice to have the whole crew back again. Wombat and Ship shouldn't beat themselves up too much however; I think they did an excellent job putting those podcasts together without Cheapy. 

All this talk of Retro magazine and retro gaming (and yes, I'd be interested in the contest), really gives me an itch to hook up some of my older systems that have been neglected lately. Even the talk of landfill ET cartridges has me wanting to play ET again, a decision I am sure I would instantly regret.

Welcome back Cheapy! I'd like to be in the Retro Contest as well. It's weird that Wombat has those issues with download speeds on PSN. This isn't the first time I've heard him say that. I get excellent speeds even over WiFi on both consoles. 

Retro mag sounds pretty nice. I checked kickstarter and am torn between physical + digital sub for year 2 or the back issues + next years in digital format. Not sure if you did a better job selling it this week or I was paying more attention, but I'll be subbing eventually.

Pls add me into the mix for the contest!

Also, wb cheapy :D

Welcome back Cheapy!

The PS phone app is actually really good. Only 1 or 2 things open in a browser, and the store has a very nice mobile version. Maybe it's better on Android. Don't see any advantages of Smartglass over it. Maybe I missed something?

Just curious, what do you guys do with the X1 interface that makes it superior? I usually just boot up my system and go into a game. I know the X1 has a more features with TV and all but what is the advantage? I just don't get all the hype? I guess browsing the store is better? I moved over to doing most of my purchasing from the web though so maybe that's why it's lost on me.  

The one thing that irks me on the Microsoft front is the web store (in the browser). It used to be great but now you can't even use your pre-paid MS cards to buy something from the web store. You have to use a credit card or paypal....not to mention the site is always slow now or takes awhile to recognize your login. 

It's cool you guys prefer the X1 but it seems like some of the complaints are very nit-picky. 

I'm in for a retro subscription...thanks for the contest.  

I know last week I disagreed with shipwreck but this week we had the same sentiments about the internet archive putting all those arcade games up for free. There is no way that some if not all will be taken down.

Good to have Cheapy back on the show this week. Wombat and Shipwreck did a great job in his absence though. Great show this week, the CAGcast has been my favorite podcast since it started and I've never missed an episode since. You can definitely count me in on the Retro mag subscription as well, I've been eyeing it for awhile anyway. I love the UK Retro Gamer mag that has been around for a few years now. 

Glad to have you back Cheapy!

Your Fantasia conducting idea reminds me of Wii Music.  Didn't that game have some conducting sequences?  As if you'd know :lol:

Please enter me in the retro contest.

I'm still curious as to when CoD will cease it's sequelitis.  It's gotta end sometime, even it that's when the sun finally burns out and we haven't terraformed new planets.  What number will it end at?

I don't usually comment on the show but I'll try to more often, I've been listening for years.  I'm going to check out Retro as well, from what Wombat described it'd be great to have something that's still interesting to go back to months or even years later.  New gamers can read up on what they've missed and even gain enough interest to go back.

I too would like to be entered in the contest, thanks and fingers crossed!

Great show. With all this talk of Marvel in the last few episodes, I was wondering have any of you tried the Marvel Unlimited sub thing? I'm trying it for a month for $9.99 and it means that I can read most of Marvels catalog digitally. It doesn't have anything from the last 6 months but seeing as I only buy the odd comic here and there it works great for me!

Enter me into the Retro Magazine contest as well please!

Ill be honest, there's a lot that X1 does right. That windows 8 UI still looks horrible. You guys are mac users, so I know you agree with that. However, the ability to have the system help you get the settings right on your tv...awesome. Scanning QR codes in lieu of the entering a 12 digit code...awesome. I have a PS4 and X1, both are wired to the same router with cat6 cables. Speed test on both; the ps4 is much slower than the X1. Not to mention that the ps4 has ports opened and a static ip. With all that being said....there's a reason why PS4 is outselling MS 2:1. Aside from the Internet issue, most of those points are things you enjoy once you have the system, they aren't system selling features. We buy systems for games and although MS has some great exclusives on shelves we all know Sony has some great things coming as well.
Each system has its advantages, but it all comes down to preference. I find it funny when you guys get on that Soap box and start to profess your love of xbox. There are things that BOTH consoles could do better. A lot of the good things that were seeing from MS is a direct result of them fighting for our business. I'm glad that I own both consoles as they compliment each other well.

Oh boy, what an amazingly high-quality discussion and analysis of Nintendo and the Wii U in this episode.  Good call in avoiding discussing any of Nintendo's lineup of exclusive games for this holiday season and early 2015.  Other topics were way more important, like Nintendo's still-in-development sleep sensor, "horse armor" Amiibos, and Nintendo's apparently terrible decision to remake a game and plunge their company into ruin and despair.  

The Cagcast's distaste in Amiibos baffles me, considering they love paying for one-game-use figurines from Skylanders and Disney Infinity so much.  Is it such a crime that Nintendo's Amiibos offer additional benefits, aka "horse armor", when being used in more than one game?  It seems to give it additional value, in my opinion.

I also don't see how Nintendo's decision to remake a 14-year-old game immediately places them as "having no idea what they're doing" and is supposedly now their only business strategy (again let's remember we don't discuss the fact they have a lineup of new games this year and next).  

Seeing the backlash from the Cagcast for Nintendo's decision to remake one game, it's a good thing Sony and Microsoft haven't released any remakes and ports for their systems, like The Last of Us, Halo 1-4, Grand Theft Auto V, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Sleeping Dogs, Escape Plan, Fez, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Flow, Flower, The Unfinished Swan, Injustice, Journey, Metro Redux, Minecraft, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate, Sound Shapes, Spelunky, Tearaway, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Diablo III, Divekick, Guacamelee, and Metro: Last Light Redux.  If so, it would just appear that they're trying to pad out their business calendar before their actual new first-party games can finally be released in 2015.

In the first year of release, the PS4 and XB1 had the benefit of third-parties to help fill out their release schedule as well, unlike the Wii U.  Third parties always seem hesitant to support Nintendo's consoles, as their games rarely sell very well in competition to Nintendo's own games.  It also doesn't help that in many cases third-party games on Nintendo platforms are stripped-down/inferior versions of the PlayStation/Xbox versions too, caused by a lack of motivation/resources from the third parties to properly develop for a market that is projected to result in poor sales anyway.  Personally I see Nintendo's own high-quality games as being both a benefit for Nintendo hardware sales, and also a detriment against third-parties who fear poor sales of their own games against Nintendo's games.

I still don't agree with Cheapy's view that Nintendo needs to drop the price on the Wii U to "save" the system.  The existing bundles offer value for those who are interested in Nintendo's lineup of games this holiday, and the current library of exclusive games it now has is pretty compelling for those who want more than just annual recycles of multi-platform game franchises.

Not ashamed to say I still have my copy of E.T from 1982. Played th hell out of it too.

More replay value than Bulletstorm.

And I'm in for the magazine sub.

My download speeds on the ps4 and Xbox 360 are great. The PS3 is dreadful. I downloaded both PS+ games last night and they were done within 15 minutes on my PS4. This is why I still buy physical at the moment. That and I bought a burner and GCU for 15 dollars. I don't think this is taking advantage of Best Buy. If they thought it was out of control they would have amended their ad and turned it off.

I don't know why people are getting butthurt about your discussion on Nintendo. I was one of the people that saw a WiiU on clearance at Sam's Club for 99.97 and still passed on it. Just, not interested in anything Nintendo is putting out on the WiiU right now. If that's not your thing then that should be fine. Pissing and moaning for paragraphs isn't going to change my point of view on it.

By the way I've decided to take the dive in the Xbox One pool. I was waiting for the price drop to happen last Sunday before picking up the Sunset Overdrive bundle. I now cannot find any within 150 miles of where I live. And the online outlets are all out. I think the Xbone may win the month of November for console sales in the USA.

Thanks for the show guys. And if a subscription of Retro finds itself my way. I wouldnt be too unhappy.

I want to sign up for Retro so bad, but I've never paid $33 for a magazine subscription in my life! I'm not expecting $12/yr cheap, but can we get a promotion code?

Despite how many times they stated their dislike for each other, I don't think I've ever heard Ship and Wombat agree on so many things in a single episode. Made me feel... uncomfortable.

I'm NOT interested in the magazine subscription, mostly, because I can't actually read...

I somehow get the feeling that Wombat and Shipwreck's relationship is like Fish Mooney and Nikolai's in Gotham. So what is Wombat's secret weapon to take over the CAGcast?

Still interested in the Retro Magazine gift subscription, if it's still up for grabs.  Wombat is hitting it HARD!  Favorite retro game?  Does Kirby's Dream Course count?  Burgertime, Dig Dug, etc.

Still interested in the CAGCast team, even after all these years...*sniff*

So, Cheapy brings up more orchestral DLC for Fantasia, but says nothing about the potential for Sensei Moko Taiko DLC?  Madness!

I'd love a subscription to Retro mag...

Good to hear Cheapy back on the podcast, can't wait until you move to America and hopefully y'all can get some livestreaming together and other shenanigans. 

The Wii U discussion was the same on every episode that you talk about the Wii U/Nintendo so I skipped it, BUT I do appreciate that you're one of the few podcasts who voices your dislike of Nintendo. I don't agree but good on ya.

Even though Sunset Overdrive looks great and the Xbox One price cut is tempting, I would buy a PS4 over Xbox One any day of the week. Xbox One still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They're the bad guys for trying to implement always-online DRM, being weirdly restrictive on multiplatform games (you know the Microsoft rule where they require exclusive DLC), Kinect being actively detrimental to the system's power, and how Ubisoft clearly dumbed down specs of Assassin's Creed: Unity on PS4 so the Xbox One version wouldn't look as bad.

Irrational hatred, sure. But I still don't want an Xbox One post price cut. GTA V looks better on PS4 anyway. :p

FINALLY, I'd love that Retro magazine subscription after hearing Wombat lovingly describe the beautiful paper stock. 

I did roll my eyes when I heard Nintendo's next move is sleep sensors.  Wtf?  There has to  more to it than just putting a sensor next to your bed and then getting a sleep data report on your phone when you wake up. There's got to be a gaming thing behind it like with WiiFit.  

Not sure why you guys seem so down on the Amiibos.  IT doesn't seem any more of a joke than the other figure lines.  I'll get my 8 yr old a few of these.  I like that it will work in a few of the games he has along with future ones.

Majora's Mask 3ds a downer?  I haven't played it so it was an upper for me.  

All Nintendo has to do is get costs in line with sales and keep making unique stuff and doing a good job with the games they release.  They don't have to be first or appeal to all.  They aren't trying to be Sony or MS and get all the western 3rd parties on board.  This has been pretty obvious for awhile now.  They would rather sell 1st party stuff and promote a few 3rd party titles that are unique to their system.  IT sometimes comes across as sadomachosism.  But they just don't want to get into a direct price war and become a commodity.  That's what the other systems are becoming.  

Cagcast - "who wants to spend time playing the same Nintendo game?"

Cagcast 5 seconds later "I spent 50 hours playing a sequel TWICE!!"  (don't worry, I'm 70% kidding)

apparently you guys also didn't seem to notice that Nintendo recently beat forecasts, made a 2nd quarter profit and is one track for a FY profit.. but I guess gloom and doom makes better conversation. 

I'd like to see Shipwreck stop buying and reporting on Skylanders figures (does anyone who listens to CAG or is over 12 years old actually care about that game?) and buy more Wii U retail games like Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom, Watch Dogs, and Wii U eShop indie/downloadable games (there are a ton on the eShop).

apparently you guys also didn't seem to notice that Nintendo recently beat forecasts, made a 2nd quarter profit and is one track for a FY profit.. but I guess gloom and doom makes better conversation.
When facts don't support your narrative, it's easier to ignore those facts.

I'd like to see Shipwreck stop buying and reporting on Skylanders figures (does anyone who listens to CAG or is over 12 years old actually care about that game?) and buy more Wii U retail games like Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom, Watch Dogs, and Wii U eShop indie/downloadable games (there are a ton on the eShop).
Why would I stop doing something I enjoy? I'll pick up Bayonetta 2 & Sonic Boom when they are heavily discounted. Based upon what I played of Sonic Boom at E3, it is not going to be a good game on the WiiU. The 3DS version of Sonic Boom seemed good. I didn't want to play Watch Dogs on PS4 or XB1, so I'm not sure why I would want to play it on WiiU. Quite a bit of the eShop indie stuff is stuff I've already played on PC.

bread's done
Back