CAGcast #390: Worst Infinity Pool Ever

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
In this week’s show; Toilets are put to the test, Best Buy employees are confused, NPDs and Amiibos are discussed.  All this and so much more!
Download (1 hour 4 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

https://audioboom.com/boos/2726708-cagcast-390-worst-infinity-pool-ever

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Outro

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny show, I had to pause it because I started laughing too hard at work. I knew it was off to a good start when Wombat said his wife had a brontosaurus infection.

Basketbelle sounds like something Ship came up with in a dream.

Ship, you need a Jag, if for no other reason than Tempest 2k. It's still the best version.

Cheapy - curved screens are awful. If it bugs you when stuff is shown stretched to an incorrect aspect ratio, all you will see is distorted images. I've seen tv's and theaters with curved screens and all I see are distorted lines.

Princess Peach without legs is definitely worth $25k. The one with legs keeps running away to another castle. At least this one would stay where you leave her. Or at least wouldn't get very far.

What was the $70 Skylander?

Cheapy - go get yourself Miralax (or the generic / store-brand equivalent).  I wouldn't recommend staying on it long-term but after a couple days your issues will probably largely be resolved. :p   I was put on it earlier this year so I wouldn't have to strain before a hernia surgery and it definitely works very well...

Also, don't diss the current Vizio TV's - they're actually quite good and a fantastic value (especially if you score one on-sale).  Also the E line (their budget line) and the P line (their 4K line) are outstanding for gamers due to their extremely low latency.  The M line (their higher-end 1080p line) has higher latency so it's not as good of a set for gaming on though still not bad...

The Venom table isn't that hard. I got 65 million on my second play through and got 24th in the world at the time. Here's a video Wombat I uploaded showing how to get multiball on the venom table, and some South Park Pinball multiball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5VL0HuluKA&list=UU2nXXn2CAaNJOiOn6MwO0ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4FcYDaMsHM&index=6&list=UU2nXXn2CAaNJOiOn6MwO0ww

The intent of curved screens is to reduce glare. When light hits a point on the screen that's bent at an angle away from you, the light is reflected away from you, and so you don't see it. On a curved screen, the only part where there can be glare is a vertical strip down the center (which at least is better than glare everywhere).

This is why cell phones are starting to have curved screens, because using them in full sunshine makes it hard to see the screen.

Why not buy a TV at Best Buy?  They price match Amazon and you get to take it home the same day.  Not to mention the hassle of returning it to Amazon if something's wrong with the set.  You have to pay tax on Amazon purchases now too, so I just purchase stuff at BB.

I listen to the CAGcast while I eat lunch. Needless to say, Cheapy's toilet escapades certainly made that meal interesting.

I've seen plenty of movie theaters with curved screens, by the way. I wouldn't want a curved TV though.

Cheapy is always good at making anything I worry about in regards to bathroom such a non-issue with his stories.

It's disappointing that Wii U discussion is tainted by the same "______ has to be its savior" type of framing that plagued legit PS3 game discussion for the first few years. Granted, I don't expect you guys to dedicate much legit discussion time to Nintendo because you don't really care in the first place, but I'm not sure why Wombat really needs to be shit talking console war people over dumb claims he or they make that nobody really cares about anymore.

Cheapy,
I didn't want to chime in about the TV decision after the last CAGcast due to you not being interested in the 4K 'gimmick' and I never hear you talk about interest in 3D content, but after I saw your tweet about the Samsung 4K/3D TV you're considering purchasing, I figured I'd toss my recommendation into the ring.

You're making a good decision on 4K and 3D in my opinion. Although the glasses for the Samsung TV are 'Active Shutter Glasses', they look very thin and light. I have a 5 year old Vizio that also uses Active Shutter technology in the glasses but they are very big & bulky (i.e. heavy) compared to Samsungs.

I have been looking at new TVs in the same size range that you are and I really want one that is 4K and 3D but also passive due to the glasses being less expensive and lighter (passive & polarized). Brands with those features would be Sonys and LGs. I would go with Vizio again, but it looks like they dropped 3D altogether. Normally, 1080p 3D TVs that use passive technology cut the resolution in half (half for each eye) and if you are a big cinefile (or pixel whore), you can probably tell the drop in resolution.

Therefore, if you go 4K, then by cutting the resolution in half, you get a full 1080 lines of resolution to each eye. I looked at the 3D glasses for your prospective TV and they look like they have gotten much lighter and smaller, so you may not need to go 'passive' with your 3D. It realy wouldn't matter anyway with that particular model of Samsun since it's active. Even if you went with a TV that wasn't 4K (1080p) you would still get full HD resolution to each eye with Active 3D glasses.

I think you've made a good decisioin, unless you want to consider passive 3D. Hope this helps a little.

~Tone-C

P.S. Why not go all the way and get the curved screen (65" Samsung UN65HU8700FXZA)? All of the IMAX screens are curved for that immersive, wrap-around experience. You could have that at home. Just sit 5 feet from the screen. (just kidding)

That was a very strong 15 minutes of talking about shit Cheapy and Co.

Tip - Eat some Mexican food it'll do the job.
Stop being a wheat germ crisp salad wendy's ordering person like Wombat

I'm doing the same thing as Cheapy with DriveClub.  Waiting for the PS+ version, and if I really like it, then I can buy the game.

A rare S/O to Media Play!  As a former MP dept manager I well remember the endless list of pricing errors over the years.  The Steel Battalion for 75% off is near the top of that list.  It had only been out for about a month (and we had only sold 1 out of 4 copies since we got those giant boxes off the truck) when it magically appeared on the weekly markdown/clearance list. We all knew it was an error, but the policy was to trust the list implicitly. Within a week or so it was back to full price, but by then we had sold them all and then some as we transferred more copies in from other stores for ourselves and other friends.  These kinds of pricing errors happened so frequently that managers at our store used to print it off and pour over it immediately when it was released every week looking for the clearance errors so we could pounce on them right away before someone at HQ noticed it and made the correction.  Other notable clearance steals: rare Beatles box sets for about 60% off (plus 40% employee discount) and Sony HT in a box for 75% off. Ah the memories.... 

As always, great episode guys! 

Cheapy, what surprised you the most from your time in Japan?

Cheapy's experience in Best Buy is why I didn't bother taking advantage of the Unlocked deal.  I can never have a simple transaction at Best Buy.  It usually takes double or triple the time it should.  I'd rather just buy from Amazon or digitally.  The time and headache just isn't worth it.

The Gazillion Bubbles Show sounds interesting.  My family is traveling to NY in a few months and didn't have plans to go into the city.  This might make us change our minds as our little ones would lose their minds. 

Happy to hear about the Child's Play drive going to happen again this year. Other than the Ronald McDonald house, that is one of the only charities I regularly support.

"Oh," I thought, "CheapyD's got another story!  I wonder if it's about his poops."

I'm not sure how to feel about being right.

I've heard a lot of poop stories on the CAGCast but this is the first one that made me gag. Something about the idea of attacking and mashing a poop with a plunger creates a terrible image that I want out of my head as soon as possible.

Your comments on Best Buy employees not knowing anything about GCU is pretty much shared across the Internet. Unfortunately I don't see this problem going away anytime soon as it appears BB's hiring process has gotten much more relaxed over the years. Last week I traded in a game with GCU and the employee held my Reward Zone card in her hand the entire time and forgot to scan it, which resulted in needing a manager's override to cancel out the transaction and redo it to get my GCU boost. It took over 35 minutes to trade in ONE game.

The moment the converation turns to the topic of shit, I fast forward five minutes.  If they haven't moved on, another five.  Been doing that since '06.  Makes the pod a lot more listenable.

Used to be worse back in the day.

Re TVs, I would ignore the 4k, 3d, 120hz, curved etc stuff.  These are all gimmicks to try to get people to buy new sets every 2-3 years instead of every 10 or 20.  Go for an appropriate size, reliabiliity, and overall picture quality.  If the gimmicks happen to be thrown in, fine.

I buy my TVs based on the capabilities of the consoles. Right now there are no 4k games on console, so I don't care about 4k. Maybe I'll care when the PS5 is released.

I'll bet the ps4 street fighter 5 deal (unless they really mean it) is just for the first version. Super Street Fighter 5 will probably come out on all systems.

Of course CheapyD leaves Tokyo the same week I arrive.

I always love a good poop story, but I don't think you'll ever top the one where you fainted on the bathroom floor after doing a big shit. Amazing.

One question, Cheapy - you are doing low carb? How did you manage that in Tokyo? I'd like to go back to eating that way. Having trouble losing weight, even with the increased amount of walking I do here.

Also, fuck curved screens. They suck in movie theaters and they suck for TVs.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Ralph Baer died, and that's why he should have been recognized for just a minute. Just saying.

bread's done
Back