Next step with a dead Xbox 360?

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey guys,

So with twin toddlers running around I haven't had much time to game lately, but last weekend it looked like I might finally be able to start back in on backlog I haven't touched in at least 2 years. So I fired up the trusty Xbox 360 Elite and probably shouldn't have been surprised to get the RROD. Tried all of the diagnostic stuff to confirm it's truly borked and not the power supply or anything. It's served me well for at least 8 years, many years past the time most people were lamenting their own red rings, so I'm not exactly bitter.

I'm not really interested in upgrading to an Xbox One a this point since most of the stuff I want to play is 360 disc-based stuff or XBLA games that I've already purchased, and without backwards compatibility that's a non-starter (pun slightly intended).

So I guess I'm looking for the best means of replacing a 360 and transferring my current data over. Going through Microsoft customer service, they want $185 to replace it (though they don't say with what -- another Elite, which would be stupid, or the most recent redesign).

I saw Cowboom is offering used 250gb slim models for $80 today, and about to bite on that. Any reason I should be considering the more recent redesign? I haven't been following things closely and have no idea what the difference is other than cosmetic.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tybee, the slim vs the E differences are as follows:

* The E model is slightly smaller than the slim, though not by much.

* The E model uses a little less power than the slim model.

* The slim has 5 USB ports and the E model has 4 USB ports.

* The slim has the AV out port, though the E doesn't have one.

* The slim has an optical audio out, the E doesn't.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/169053/what-is-the-difference-between-xbox-360-and-a-xbox-360s

You also gain integrated 2.4GHz wireless on either system.

From a functional standpoint, they're the same system.   If you have a Frys near by, the E model is $150 today via a promo code:

http://www.frys.com/product/8297476?site=50premail032015-groupc

You could remove your hard drive from the Elite's drive shell and transplant it into an E system or a slim system.  There are third-party vendors that sell drive enclosures for the removed hard drives to go into a slim or an E system.

If you get one from Cowboom, it looks like the ones that are available are the scratch-and-scuff types, from looking at the main page for them.   I would certainly pick up their extended warranty, as 2 years is $18 for one of those systems.

Awesome advice, shrike. Thank you.

$150 still feels a little rich, and the slim actually sounds like a slightly better option, so I'll probably go that route with the extended warranty as you suggest.

If I do that, it comes with at 250gb drive versus the 120gb from my Elite. Why would I not transfer stuff over and have more than twice the space versus trying to get my old smaller drive into the slim? I assume it has to do with difficulty transferring everything (including permissions)?

I was more thinking about a system that didn't have a drive like a new E, though if you'd be getting the Cowboom slim, then you wouldn't need it.  Question is, how would you transfer the info over if your existing Elite system has RROD'd?

You can do a license transfer via the Xbox site, though it's been forever since I've had to do it.  Once you download everything to the new system, it would just be a matter of transferring saves over somehow.   If you can find a transfer cable, you can do it on the new system and everything would come over from drive to drive.  Would still need the license transfer to make the new system your "home" 360, which would allow for use of content on the drive w/o being on Live.

I think I still have an older transfer cable that would work only on the old-style drive, as it won't connect to the newer drives (bare SATA connector on the newer drives, like normal SATA drives, versus the proprietary connector on the old style drives).  If I still have it, you're more than welcome to it, since I have a Slim and an E system and need the newer cable.

I think GS would take the borked Elite and give you like $20 for it, at most.

You're right; I didn't look at the Cowboom deal closely enough. Nothing better than Fair condition, and most missing basic elements like power cables, etc. So I guess I'll be looking for other options. Perhaps Fry's if I can talk the finance committee into it...

The transfer cable was my plan if moving to the slim, but I guess your prescribed method of extracting and mounting the 120gb hard drive would be the way to go if I do wind up with a drive-less new system. Didn't know that was an option.

SIDE NOTE: How are there so many (cosmetically) torn up stationary consoles? I understand a portable console, a controller, etc. getting beat up, even through relatively conscientious use, but an Xbox isn't moving around much. For instance, my Elite is almost a decade old, has been through a couple moves, and still looks basically new. I guess people are shoving things on and off the top of their consoles or something, but damn, people. Have some respect for your shit.

Amazon Warehouse Deals might be another option to look into, as they have had at least one Xbox 360 E 500GB COD bundle show up there in the last day or so:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/340898-amazon-warehouse-deals-thread-xiv/page-223#entry12580314

My current E was from Target around the end of the year when they had them for $125 on clearance, which I snapped up in a second. 

Those Cowboom systems were a bit concerning, since they didn't come with the AC adapter and that's a huge issue going from an fat system to a slim or E, since they're different AC adapters.

Might want to check with GS locally and see what they have for a Slim or E used and drop off your Elite without the drive as trade.

Yeah, first thing I did was look at the option of repairing myself, but that seems like money down a hole for, best case scenario, reviving a system that sounds like a jetliner taking off.

Right now I'm just catching up on my PS3 backlog while I scout for a 360 deal.

Amazon Warehouse Deals might be another option to look into, as they have had at least one Xbox 360 E 500GB COD bundle show up there in the last day or so:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/340898-amazon-warehouse-deals-thread-xiv/page-223#entry12580314

My current E was from Target around the end of the year when they had them for $125 on clearance, which I snapped up in a second.

Those Cowboom systems were a bit concerning, since they didn't come with the AC adapter and that's a huge issue going from an fat system to a slim or E, since they're different AC adapters.

Might want to check with GS locally and see what they have for a Slim or E used and drop off your Elite without the drive as trade.
4 GB Slim/E used at GS are $115, 250 GB Slim/E are $185, & 320 GB Slim/E are $215. All of those will come with 1 MS wireless controller and the video/power hookups.

I highly recommend cowboom as that's where I got my used Xbox 360 slim for like around the same price. Though I didn't get the HDD with it. Works like new and everything. Plus since Cowboom is a part of Best Buy, you are pretty safe. I was able to get one with all of the connections (no controller, kinect and such). It has one scuff mark on the top, but that's it. This is actually where I hope to get the Xbox One eventually. 

bread's done
Back