H: Ike & Toad amiibo (US, sealed), Vita Games, Wii Sports Club at MSRP W: Wii Fit Trainer (loose or any region)

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
KIyuzPg.png
First ever litepink Awards
 ​
With the lack of the "Cheapy Awards" the past few years, I'm looking to fill the gap with the litepink Awards to recognize the best across the gaming world and here on CAG.

Some things to note:

• I came up with the categories and the winners. There was no voting. I made them, I do what I want :D/
  • To add to that, practically all category winners will be from the Nintendo Universe. This is not to say Nintendo products are better, just better suited to ME. Xbox and PlayStation have some fantastic products, hopefully something comes along in 2016 for me to get on board (again).
  • Enjoy! Have fun, make suggestions, agree or disagree agree, comment, like, whatever. If you're a forum member that was snubbed this year, I do apologize! Hopefully next year I open my eyes and recognize your efforts.
  • Game publishers can message me on CAG if they'd like to use the litepink Award trophy (or Pinkie™) for 'back of box' quotes or Game of the Year editions.
On to the winners:

Last edited by a moderator:
sml_gallery_339722_8573_18824.png
Game of the Year

Super_Mario_Maker_Artwork.jpg
Super Mario Maker

Despite massive expectations as to what this could become, Super Mario Maker met and exceeded all those expectations. Some aspects are disappointing, sure. I’m focusing on all the positives instead. For starters, you’re pretty much getting unlimited DLC of Mario platformers. You can’t use every single asset from the respective titles but there’s still infinite things you can do with the tools provided, and many talented designers have shown incredible ways of using these tools, and even breaking them sort of (in fun ways). The amiibo support is fantastic and has opened the doors to so many crossover levels.  *Also "Best Wii U Game"

Honorable Mention: I truly believe that Kirby (and the) Rainbow Curse is an underrated gem for Wii U. I can’t explain why it’s not universally loved. I felt it was charming and fun, with a unique premise. Yoshi Wooly World was a solid title that also has charm; it was a return to excellence for the series.

---

Best 3DS Game

6855.jpeg

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

This remake of the N64 classic fits well on the 3DS, especially when utilizing features like the added buttons and improved 3D of the New 3DS.

Honorable Mention: It’s sort of cheating, since it actually released in 2014, but the physical version of Shovel Knight just released so I will mention its greatness here.

---

Best Use of Touchscreen/Gamepad

kirby_rainbow_curse_wii_u.jpg
 ​
Kirby (and the) Rainbow Curse

I'll be the first to admit that despite being two spectacular systems, the 3DS and Wii U's touchscreen and gamepad features can feel gimmicky. Therefore, I feel it’s imperative that we recognize when it does work, and Kirby Rainbow Curse is one such game. Sure, it means you have to stare at the Gamepad, missing the glorious clay landscapes on your TV, but you can play two player you know and enjoy it then.

Honorable Mention: Super Mario Maker embodies what the Gamepad is meant for, and is a great showcase to those who may be new to Wii U.

---

Best Multiplayer Game

tumblr_no5a015eUO1tj6kmxo1_500.png

Splatoon
This may seem like an obvious choice for Wii U multiplayer, but it was actually a toss up for me. Hard to deny the uniqueness that was Splatoon, especially given the competition and landscape of current shooters on rival systems.

Honorable Mention: I say it was a toss up because I truly believe Kirby Canvas Curse is a fantastic co-op experience (4 players could get messy perhaps). Player 2 can give you an ever so slight advantage in the game and challenge rooms, but doesn’t feel clunky like many of these Nintendo co-op experiences feel (running into each other in games like Yoshi Wooly World or New Super Mario Bros. U is more frustrating than anything really.) While Kirby is the key character of the game, playing as Waddle Dee doesn’t just feel like you’re just “helping” like in Super Mario Galaxy.  And wait, what’s Super Mario Maker doing here?! Well if you’ve ever had a group of family and friends over, this game is such a social game, whether you’re passing and playing to see who can beat a tough challenge or cheering when they finally hit the flagpole.

---

Best Looking Game

2810081-kirbyandtherainbowcurse-promo-20150217_1024.jpg
 ​
Kirby Rainbow Curse
If you can't tell, I'm bullish on Kirby Rainbow Curse. There are graphically and technically better looking games on Wii U, and of course on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. But this award goes towards the game with a beautiful aesthetic, which is once again, Kirby Rainbow Curse. The world of Kirby fits in so well with the clay theme. Bright and colorful, a joy to look at.

Honorable Mention: One can’t forget Yoshi’s Wooly World, which fits the series so well. Graphically speaking, Xenoblade Chronicles X is no slouch even compared to PS4/X1 games.

---

Biggest Surprise

Splatoon-Q2-2015-Release.jpg
 ​
Splatoon

When this game was first announced Splatoon looked liked one of those free-to-play games heavily advertised on the Disney Channel. When it came out, it sort of played like one too. That’s not to say it wasn’t an absolute blast from the get-go even with limited maps and game modes. Things just got better and better as more and more content was added. This game has such a unique feel and look that is very welcome.

Honorable Mention: No one could have predicted the craziness that surrounded amiibo in 2015. Pre-orders were selling out in less then a minute and single figures reselling north of $100. Things have died down a bit with restocks (hooray!) and especially as we are in-between releases, but it was such a crazy time especially around Wave 4. You can’t look back at 2015 and not mention some of the unexpected DLC Characters released for Super Smash Bros. Not to mention the quantity of them. Even after the surprise 3rd party stars we saw in previous titles (Snake, Sonic), and characters in the initial Smash 4 lineup (Mega Man, Pac-man), never would I have thought we’d see characters like Cloud or Ryu in this game. The other DLC characters released and announced have been solid and exciting additions but nothing like those two (even if I’m personally not a fan of either series they star in).

---

Biggest Disappointment

muppets-540x292.png
 ​
Nintendo's E3

After a somewhat disappointing first year or so on Wii U, quality titles started to build in its library, and Nintendo was doing other things right and adding excitement to the brand with amiibo, good DLC, and more in 2015. Seemed like every Nintendo Direct had like 3-4 things to really look forward to so expectations for E3 were high. However, E3’s presentation took a ton of wind out of Nintendo’s sails with a list of lackluster games showcased and announced. Much momentum was lost, so here’s hoping some of the aforementioned Nintendo Directs fills some of that void. Those muppets were sure cute though :)

Honorable Mention: In relation to a poor E3, it felt like we were about due for a new Animal Crossing, but instead we got two spinoffs, one that was OK (Happy Home Designer) and one that was quite poor (amiibo Festival). Not even so much as a hint or an announcement of a title in the main series. Despite the Wii U seeing its days numbered with the release of Nintendo NX, a new Animal Crossing on Wii U would have been a great way to see it out, but with nothing on horizon it would be hard to believe it’s going to happen. Hopefully we see something at or near the launch of the NX then. Here's a good concept of what Animal Crossing could look like on Wii U.

Also it should be noted that some people were really nasty this year on CAG. Fighting and bickering with each other, trolling, troll baiting, arguing. Some threads got ugly and over the stupidest things. I still think CAG is a wonderful community but it took a step back this year. I just don’t understand why people want to constantly berate or belittle people? Let’s hope 2016 is a little better.

Best amiibo (2015)

King Dedede (Smash), Toad (Mario), KK Slider (Animal Crossing), Mega Yarn Yoshi (Other)

Couldn’t pick just one! King Dedede wins with his details on his gloves and coat, and for being such a hefty amiibo too (plus, he’s just awesome in general). Toad is obviously the best in the Super Mario series. KK Slider edges out Tom Nook as he’s looking cool sittin’ on his tree stump. Then for all other amiibo, have to give the win to the Mega Yarn Yoshi. It’s a bit excessive and unnecessary, but that’s part of what makes it so great.

Honorable mention: I thought they were first ugly when they were announced, but the Skymiibos are kind of neat, especially Dark Hammer Slam Bowser. I could be a bit bias since I have one in my collection now. The Bowser Jr amiibo is so great, as not only do we get a cute yet menacing Bowser Jr., but also the simple and iconic clown car too.

---

Worst amiibo (2015)

Mii Fighters

The Mii Fighters are just the worst.

Honorable mention: I love all animals, and especially dogs, but man Digby (Animal Crossing) is ugly.

---

Best Use of amiibo (2015)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
The best use of amiibo is actually in Smash Bros., but that was in 2014. In 2015 the best use may very well been in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Scanning Toad added a pixel Toad to find in every level. Really any reason to revisit the game is a treat so this little hide-and-seek was a nice bonus.

Honorable mention: The game itself was alright, but not great, however scanning in the Chibi-Robo amiibo was fun in Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash. You could level him up and depending on your level, you could increase the amount of times per day you could be Super Chibi Robo. Never got tired of resting the cute little guy in the New 3DS bottom screen

---

Deal of the Year

Rock Band 4 Midnight Madness

This is kind of a departure since it’s actually not a Nintendo deal, but I wanted to highlight something that was just fun, bizarre, and a great deal. Deal of the Year to me was the $60 Rock Band bundles for PS4 that came with a free $15 gift card. For a brief period of time right as Thanksgiving was turning over to Black Friday, Target accidentally priced Rock Band 4 for $60. Even better, it came with a $15 gift card, and if the clock was past midnight you could get a 20% off coupon to use at a later date (if you spent $75). A huge price mistake mixed in with frantic Target hunting around midnight made for a fun Black Friday.

Honorable mention: Can’t forget “The Glitch” at Best Buy which allowed for ½ off any game, including pre-orders. The hope for another one has many of us staying up on Saturday nights hoping it happens again.
Also Best Buy gets a mention for dropping the price of Gamers Club Unlocked to $30 for everyone. Combine that with their $10 pre-order certificates, sales, Black Friday, and of course, glitches, and we got some pretty great deals this year.
I think it’s fair to mention the recent Destiny: The Taken King for $10 at Meijer, and you could even add another game for $20 more with their B1G1 50% sale that stacked with it. Probably would have been the winner had it not been so regional.

---

Best Retailer

Best Buy
Has to be Best Buy. Let’s see, we have GCU, My Best Buy certificates, Elite/Elite Plus, $10 pre-order certificates, Deal of the Day, Price Match Guarantee, Holiday Return/Price Match, numerous sales, glitches, Black Friday, and more.

Honorable mention: I think Target gets a bad rap sometimes. Remember, they are a department store first and foremost, so we shouldn’t be expecting the world from them. They do surprise us every once in awhile with Cartwheel, REDcard, B2G1 Free sale, registry coupons, gift card offers, double/triple trade in specials, Wishlist app, and more. Sometimes you can combine a bunch of those things for some crazy deals!

---

Worst Retailer
NewEgg
What happened NewEgg? You used to be kind of wild card place to get games, often offering pre-orders at less than MSRP (this was enticing before Best Buy’s GCU came around). Lately though...not so much. Between laughable sale prices and tactics like raising a price above MSRP specifically for a 50% sale, NewEgg has become somewhat of a joke on CAG.

Honorable Mention: We bid farewell to Kmart, who ceased game sales completely. There have been some odd deals here and there throughout the years but ultimately Kmart has just been terrible cesspool as a whole, with electronics being the worst of it. The gaming coupons a few years back kind of brought a glimmer of hope but since those dried up it’s been just pitiful. They did the right thing just to exit completely.

---

Game Over (Flip) Award

Game Over (Flip) Award for Best Place to Flip – Best Buy
In a close race, Best Buy wins the Game Over (Flip) Award. They just consistently offer the best trade in values, even on some games they are currently selling for less! It’s madness! Not only that but it counts towards your Elite status, and now you have a gift card to the litepink Award winning Best Retailer after your flip. Hang on to it to bank roll more flipping!

Honorable mention: Gamestop narrowly misses the award, only because flip opportunities are few and far between, and if a game goes on sale they will surely tank their trade in value (rightfully so of course). There was the Great Summer Flipping though, 50% bonus just before Black Friday, and the ability to buy Amazon or eBay got cards. But they just barely loss due to their normally low trade in values. Let us take advantage of you next year Gamestop and maybe you’ll get the win!

Target shouldn’t go unmentioned either. While normal trade in values are abysmal, every once in awhile they surprise you with a double trade in credit special. There isn’t too much to flip even after a multiplier but usually a few to take advantage of.

---

Friendly CAG

Beatles93
Having mentioned the nastiness on CAG this year, I want to shine a light on someone who battled through the negativity to make this a better place. Beatles93 is as helpful as they come, answering people’s questions without snark, refusing to take part of any petty arguments, as sticking up for those being bullied. He’s also posted many deals and ad previews, and is an active member of the Community Product Moderation. A model member of CAG!

Honorable mention: There are many other bright spots on CAG too. Although we can’t all be winners, I want to mention a couple others. Deader is a forum regular who answers many many questions people may have. dreamer provides a lot deal posts and answers questions as well. There are many more, and do know that I appreciate everyone’s work here. If you see a good post make sure to give it a “like” (hit that little checkmark on mobile!)

---

Top Insider

Top Insider – Tyrok | Deader
This goes to the retail employee or representative (either official or unofficial), dishing out great inside info for the better benefit of CAG. This year we award it to Tyrok, with his early ad posts and inside knowledge of Best Buy.

Honorable Mention: Sorry Deader, you’re a first runner-up once again :)! Deader provides great intel from Gamestop, including early sale previews and some insider info. He’s also abreast to store policy at Gamestop (and elsewhere for that matter).

---

Wink and a Shush Award

Wink and a Shush Award for Best CAG Gag – Ferrari Racer Movie Posters
CAG is host to many memes and inside jokes. Whether it be the poem and drawing of “El Hoardo” or the infamous Wink and Shhhh, some things are just exclusively funny to CAGs. This year’s winner goes to the Movie Posters and other photoshop masterpieces of CAG’s Ferrari Racer*. Just when I was getting to the point where I’d think “maybe this is getting old”, Ferrari Racer would mix it up with something new and funny. There were Amiibo Wars movie posters, Zelda Reseller Edition, CAG NATION, Flipcenter, CNN reports, and so much more in 2015.

*Note: he designed the litepink award trophy too!! This did not have any weight in deciding this year’s award winner. Neither was the shots fired at my favorite place in the world, Target.

Honorable Mention: Legend has it that someone rode their back to the back of a Target store in attempts to get at the Rosalina amiibo first. The hilarity of people’s reaction for months to come was a delight in 2015. We must also pay homage to the “Beam me up” GIF that is exclusively “CAG” in style as well.

---

In Memoriam

In Memoriam – Satoura Iwata
It was sad seeing the passing of Nintendo CEO Satoura Iwata. The goofy personality of Nintendo came out in Nintendo Directs and E3 presentations and Iwata was there leading the charge. Don’t need to go on saying what has already been said though. We miss you Iwata!

Honorable Mention: A moment of silence for those banned this year. Some were taken to early, while others...it was your time to go.    ...
---

Thus concludes the inaugural litepink Awards!  :wave: 

bread's done
Back