Dwolla - alternative payment system to PayPal, now with NO FEES

SilentBob50023

CAGiversary!
Feedback
463 (100%)
I've accepted Dwolla payments for awhile now without a hitch, but I see most people here still cling to PayPal.  Before their latest announcement, found here, Dwolla offered no transaction fees for any transactions under $10 (which many, many deals on the trade forums would qualify for), and only a quarter ($0.25) for anything over ten bucks.  

Now they've completely removed the quarter fee too.  From a capital investment standpoint, it simply looks like they're going to monetize in a different way.  Not sure how it will shake out for the company long-term, but it is great for us on CAG (and elsewhere).

By using Dwolla for CAG transactions, you don't have to worry about violating PayPal ToS with a Friends/Family transaction, and you don't have to worry about PayPal's obnoxious fees.  Who even knows how their fee structure may change once they've separated from eBay completely.

Signing up is easy and free.  I think many of us here simply haven't done it because we jumped through PayPal hoops long ago and it's just easy to fall back on it for all our transactions.  You don't need an existing Dwolla account for somebody to send money to your email account, but it will require you make one if there is a pending transaction in order to claim your money.  I would suggest getting it set up in advance.  You can do it here.

To be transparent, I am not an investor in Dwolla (I am just a few million dollars shy of being a venture capitalist ;) ) but I was an early adopter for personal transactions.  My brother and I are looking into using them for our business as well.

Mods:  I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but this seemed appropriate.  Feel free to move at your discretion.

Now if I can go into a local corner drugstore. Pay cash for a plastic card with a code that let's me load money onto a Dwolla account, I would probably consider this.  I'm paranoid about my money that I prefer using cash as much as possible. 

Paypal has this cash only option, but with a $3.95 fee though.  If Dwolla can do the same without the fee or a lesser fee and accepted by practically everyone that takes Paypal, maybe I'll consider it.

so any more CAGs use this?  I heard about this a while back and forgotten until recently.

I signed up for a site and received credits (redemable for real money) that can only be withdrawn via Dwolla.  I haven't heard too many bad things or much in general about Dwolla.

It's a good site. If a bunch of people start using it, it will be good. Guess the best I can do to spread the word is offer it as an option to pay me when selling on here.

bread's done
Back