Looks like the price of Disgaea may be starting to go up.

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Has anyone noticed that the price for this is starting to go up? Toys R Us was selling it for $45, and now it's back up to $50. It use to be $40 used at Gamestop and now it's $45 used.

At 45 used I might as well spend the extra five dollars and pick it up new.

Also, remember how you could download the official strategy guide for free? Look at how much the strategy guides for this are selling on Amazon shops.

Amazon Disgaea Strategy Guide.

Some of them want over $100 for the strategy guide!
[/url]

yow!
I recall the printed guide sold out quickly and has always been expensive on the resale market.
Thanks to whoever posted the PDF file, I don't know if I'll ever start Disgaea again, but if I do, that's handy to have.
I hope Disgaea does go up in value, then I can sell it and not feel guilty about buying a game I didn't play much.

Man I've been wanting this game forever....gotta get 50 bucks for it....So hard to shell out that much, but sounds like it is worth it...

i'm about halfway through this and I was just gonna ebay after I was done. But do you all think this will have Suikiden like resale in a few years?

[quote name='jlarlee']i'm about halfway through this and I was just gonna ebay after I was done. But do you all think this will have Suikiden like resale in a few years?[/quote]

Hard to tell, even in a few years. Suikoden 2 has been out for 8 years or so (1996?), so it's had some time to and age properly.

I don't know why I thought of wine when I typed that. Oh well, it stays.

If they release one or two very popular sequels, I could see this game hitting those sorts of marks after 4 or 5 years possibly. Although with the hype this game has been creating, I wouldn't be suprised to see a repress, which would basically ruin any sort of lasting value.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']If they release one or two very popular sequels, I could see this game hitting those sorts of marks after 4 or 5 years possibly. Although with the hype this game has been creating, I wouldn't be suprised to see a repress, which would basically ruin any sort of lasting value.[/quote]

hmmm... why DIDN'T the repress Suikoden 2? Even after afew years, the game garnered quite a following, you'd think Konami would have noticed. Oh well, I hope the speculation of the potential Suikoden compilation comes to fruition.

[quote name='bileanddecay'][quote name='jlarlee']i'm about halfway through this and I was just gonna ebay after I was done. But do you all think this will have Suikiden like resale in a few years?[/quote]

Hard to tell, even in a few years. Suikoden 2 has been out for 8 years or so (1996?), so it's had some time to and age properly.

I don't know why I thought of wine when I typed that. Oh well, it stays.[/quote]

suikoden 2 was made in 1999, so 5 years.

[quote name='JSweeney']Geez, maybe I actually should go back and pick up that La Pucelle guide.[/quote]

no joke, i think ill pick up the guide and game for ~$60 and then hope ican make my $ back on just the giude lol

[quote name='PsyClerk']Why are these damn guides so expensive? www.gamefaqs.com usually gives you all the guide you need for free.

I meant to look for this game this past weekend too...[/quote]

But not the artwork. For me they're more of an art/reference book. Still wouldn't pay over $1 for one, though.

[quote name='bileanddecay']Is this game still readily available in the stores? If so, which ones?[/quote]

Toys R Us.com has it in store for $49.99. You get free shipping if you spend $50. I wonder if TRU has filler.

They have a copy at CC that I'm going to pick up tonight. See if they'll honor the BB GGC and get it for $45.

My Gamestops have it used for $45 too. But it's better to spend the five extra bucks and get it new.

Also, I looked on Ebay and the strategy guides listed there is only currently running at $25. So these amazon sellers must have a huge markup or are completely out of sync.

The funny thing is, I don't know hpw many times I passed by this official Strategy Guide at Best Buy. It was there all winter long.

Yah I spent 65.00 for La Pucell: Tactics with Guide book. I'm just going to let them both mature a bit no desire to play right now. All my time is invested in city of heroes.

r1s3n

They did a re-print of the Strat guide and you could get it for like $25 shipped from the publisher. They only had originally printed either 5 or 10 thousand guides so it was a bit hard to come by. It has great artwork in it. Worth getting for orginal price

Just an FYI La Pucelle Guidebook is made by Brady(it will be mass produced) so there wont be a shortage like Disgaea's which was published by Doubleday books. Maybe in a couple of years but not right away like Disgaeas' guide.

$20 for a guide when there is a perfectly fine PDF document for free? I think a few of you need your Cheap Ass Gamer licenses revoked

I'm in a bind when it comes to getting this game. I don't have a PS2, but I'm gonna get one soon (probably summer), and I would want to play it then. So should I get it now to ensure I have a copy, or wait until I get my PS2?

[quote name='beerguy961']I'm in a bind when it comes to getting this game. I don't have a PS2, but I'm gonna get one soon (probably summer), and I would want to play it then. So should I get it now to ensure I have a copy, or wait until I get my PS2?[/quote]

I would wait. You're going to end up paing out the nose at $50 bucks anyway. It'll probably still be around at TRU.

Also, you may want to pick up FFT for PS first if you haven't played that yet. It's only $15 bucks. That's a bargain.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Also, remember how you could download the official strategy guide for free?[/quote]

You still can.

Usually games that sell out like Disgaea are re-released. But since its not a mainstream game its very unlikely. Ive heard that there were only 80,000 copies of Disgaea in the U.S. I just picked mine up at NCSXshop.com for like $57 shipped, it should be here by tommorow. A day later I checked their site and it was sold out. Best bet is to check out Amazon/Toys R us, DVDboxoffice.com or TheRage.com. I might just get 2 or 3 La Pucelle guides, since they are going for like $11 at amazon.

But who knows, maybe it will pull a Skies of Arcadia on us. :wink:

I don't ever recall Atlus ever reprinting a game, ever. Disgaea sold well, it was in the top 10 PS2 titles sold for the month it was released (August 2003) but the thing is were there any additional orders placed beyond the first printing. It never made it to Wal Mart, Target or K Mart so it didn't have mass distribution. It's an interesting game but definitely a niche title. I played through the intro and training and have little interest in it beyond having it in my collection.

The guide made my Double Jump books was pennied out by October of 2003. A couple game stores I've been in said they gave away a couple of them and now you know what the value is. You want to talk sick? I just sold a Thousand Arms guide for $66.

Hey, what about that FFVIII guide made by gamespot. I saw a bid on ebay for it once, but its gone now. It said that there were like only a few thousand made and it is really rare. Cuz that is the guide I have. Anyone know about it?

http://www.sybex.com/sybexbooks.nsf...9c6b5ac57f2cd79e88256bca00629a26!OpenDocument

Published by Sybex and writting by Andrew Vestal of Gamespot.
It literally is the "unofficial" guide. It had no pics or symbols that referred to FF8 at all. Even though it says "Final Fantasy logos are registered trademarks for Square, when there are none. Though the guide is really descriptive and will help you unlock and find 99.9% of everything. I probably couldnt sell mine for much since the glue holding it together seams to be deteriorating and it is falling apart. :(

bread's done
Back