Hori Fighting Commander 4 Controller PS3/PS4 $29.97 @ Gamestop

JoshTX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
For those who enjoy playing fighting games with a gamepad controller, this one is probably the best. Saw it on clearance at GS for $29.97 (original MSRP $44.99). Deal appears to be online as well. Looks to be the cheapest price at the moment. After playing Street Fighter 4 with one of these, I haven't gone back to the standard controllers. 

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/fighting-commander-4-controller/123451

If you are on the fence, here's a detailed written review of the controller:

http://www.theouterhaven.net/2015/07/review-horis-fighting-commander-4-controller-ps4ps3/

Told a good friend of mine about this deal...moments later he sends me a pic with the caption:

"Don't worry.  They're safe."

lcLVXa2.jpg

He bought all of what they had in stock at our local Gamestop. The next nearest one is a 1.5 hour round trip.  That bastard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP, local GS store by me has 2 left, going to swing by around lunch and pick them up. 

Way ahead of you.

poDg9gt.jpg

I opted for the faster shipping.  I'm impatient.

Has anyone used this and thought it was helpful for something like street fighter?
I have one. It's pretty good. I don't think I ever got the hang of how to hold the button section. I keep trying to get an arcade hold on it but truthfully it's probably best to just hold it like a normal controller. The d-pad is very responsive. Depending on the character you use, you may end up with a raw thumb after marathon sessions from all the QCF, QCB and DP motions. It is much better than using a Dualshock.

Has anyone used this and thought it was helpful for something like street fighter?
YES! Great for Street Fighter. If you are an old school gamer who remembers playing Street Fighter II on either Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo then you will feel right at home with this controller. I would go so far as to say it's better. So far I've played, Super Street Fighter IV, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, and Injustice: Gods Among Us. The d-pad is silky smooth and responsive as Onyxmeth already mentioned. PLUS it works on both PS3 and PS4. The cord is a good length as well.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Thanks for all the input I want a stick but 200 is way too much if you ask me.  I am also still holding out hope that Street Fighter V will support PS3 fight sticks as a have a Marvel Vs Capcom 2 one that I am quite fond of.  

Thanks for all the input I want a stick but 200 is way too much if you ask me. I am also still holding out hope that Street Fighter V will support PS3 fight sticks as a have a Marvel Vs Capcom 2 one that I am quite fond of.
I'm in that boat, as a $200 stick is simply too much for me considering I'm more of a "casual" player. This pad is easy to use, store, and is far cheaper. I play Mortal Kombat, SF, and occasionally the anime fighters, but I've never felt that I've gotten deep into them enough to justify a stick as a needed accessory. This pad helps me pull of special moves easier and finish some of the trickier combos more successfully, and I'm good with that.

Thanks for all the input I want a stick but 200 is way too much if you ask me. I am also still holding out hope that Street Fighter V will support PS3 fight sticks as a have a Marvel Vs Capcom 2 one that I am quite fond of.
For around the same price you can grab a Brook converter. It's a USB link up that lets you use an arcade stick from one console on another console. If you'd prefer to use stick that would be a better bet than going to a pad.

http://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-converter-various-configurations?variant=10684576321

Not sure if it's mentioned in the review link above, but does anyone know the difference between the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro and the Hori Fighting Commander 4 (aside from PS4 support)?  I already own the 3 Pro and this looks like pretty much the same design and everything.

The FC3 was crap, the d-pad sucked. I dunno how this one compares but I think they did fix some of the annoying issues with the 3 (D-pad being too small and concave for some reason, shoulder buttons not remappable) but I'd still prefer a PS1 pad tbh.

Overall i don't think the DS4 is THAT bad in of itself so I dunno if this is really that great of an investment, although if you hate the DS4 and don't like playing stick it's not like there's a ton of other options.

Excellent price,i used this on ultra sf4 for the ps4 and it is so good.im surprised these haven't sold out knowing madcatz is trying to charge 60 bucks for their upcoming pads for street fighter 5.

Excellent price,i used this on ultra street for the ps4 and it is so good.im surprised these haven't sold out knowing madcatz is trying to charge 60 bucks for their upcoming pads for street fighter 5.
Between myself and a few friends, we cancelled 5 of those MadCatz pads that we had pre-ordered on Amazon due to this deal.

It's a quality pad at half the price. Money is money.

Went out and bought this just now. WHAT A DEAL! I love this controller. It makes it easier to pull off combos and specials/ultimates in SF4.

The build quality is nice too. Smooth and silky texture with a lot of controller customization. I'm a claw player and for a casual like me, this is more than enough to keep me happy once SF5 comes out.

Excellent price,i used this on ultra street for the ps4 and it is so good.im surprised these haven't sold out knowing madcatz is trying to charge 60 bucks for their upcoming pads for street fighter 5.
You just saved me $30. Made me remember that I had a MC SF4 pad in the closet. Plugged it in and it seems to work perfectly.

This pad is great for just about everything,  had it since it dropped in the U.S. last April or so, and it's not shown any signs of wear or anything.  But for people who HAVE to use a stick, Hori has their Fight Stick Mini for sale as of last month, at $40 (original price.)  It's not bad by any means, but if you have large hands, it can be a bit cumbersome to use.

Amazon has them in stock at the moment.

Can't decide if I rather get this, or the MadCatz one I already was planning to buy.

I already have a HRAP 4 Kai I havent even used yet.....

Can't decide if I rather get this, or the MadCatz one I already was planning to buy.

I already have a HRAP 4 Kai I havent even used yet.....
I bought this one today and I'll be getting the Madcatz as well. Want to see which one is better but I hope some day, someone just makes a freaking regular 6 button controller like the Saturn. Don't understand all this one side being longer than the other, giant buttons, and etc. Just make a regular freaking 6 button controller, geez. I still have my PS2 Saturn pad that I use on my PS3, sadly it doesn't work on a PS4 with the adapter. I have the MK 6 button controller too but that one is built like crap. Other than that, looking forward to using these two pads.

I had to pick one up. Thanks OP, btw those 29.99 Zelda Link statues are oversrocked at my GS. I almost caved and got one, but I was strong enough to resist "this time"...

You just saved me $30. Made me remember that I had a MC SF4 pad in the closet. Plugged it in and it seems to work perfectly.
No problem man i feel madcatz are always trying to rip consumers off with thier ovepriced pads and sticks.

Just picked one up today @ GameStop. I bought the FC3 Pro a few years ago, but the d-pad on that one broke after i dropped it one too many times. The FC4 is almost exactly the same thing, just with PS4 functionality included.

One important difference I'm seeing, unless I'm mistaken, is that the toggle functionality now makes the original L shoulders into L3 and R3. The R1 and R2 on the face still become L1 and L2, so it's still possible to move all the buttons for your right hand. Unfortunately it means the physical L shoulders are useless in this mode unless the game lets you register L3/R3 as inputs. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

I bought this one today and I'll be getting the Madcatz as well. Want to see which one is better but I hope some day, someone just makes a freaking regular 6 button controller like the Saturn. Don't understand all this one side being longer than the other, giant buttons, and etc. Just make a regular freaking 6 button controller, geez. I still have my PS2 Saturn pad that I use on my PS3, sadly it doesn't work on a PS4 with the adapter. I have the MK 6 button controller too but that one is built like crap. Other than that, looking forward to using these two pads.
Years ago there was an official Sega Saturn USB pad for PC, and it also worked for the PS3. Looking on Ebay, they offer tons of knock offs, but the official ones seem to be rather high in price, but worth looking around for one at a decent price if needed. It was a kick ass pad, no doubt.

EDIT: The Capcom Fighting Soldier for the SNES was another great six button pad that was designed by the makers for Street Fighter specifically.

The ones on eBay weren't official either despite looking authentic. The real ones were only produced in limited quantities but there were dozens of sellers that had hundreds of units. They all disappeared overnight, which means someone provided proof of copyright infringement and had them taken down.

The ones on eBay weren't official either despite looking authentic. The real ones were only produced in limited quantities but there were dozens of sellers that had hundreds of units. They all disappeared overnight, which means someone provided proof of copyright infringement and had them taken down.
I bought mine so long ago, I don't remember where I got it, it was either Play-Asia, or Ebay I'm sure. If it is an "unofficial" one, it's damn good, as it looks, feels, and plays just as well as any of the Saturn Pads I've owned in the past.

Still seeing a couple around here locally, but they are definitely moving at this price. I don't think the price will go lower at Gamestop. Maybe Amazon later down the road. I only got one but I'm considering going back for a second one so the couch co-op is fair to my SF playing buddies.

Another good 6 button layout pad is the Fight Pad by PDP. They can still be gotten rather cheap, and for me personally, it was one of the best pads I ever used due to the "micro-switch" design.

A lot of the negative reviews come from quality control issues, but the one I had for the 360 worked great.

Thanks to the circular D-Pad I've been rocking my Mad Catz SFIV Fightpad for years. Surprisingly good, considering it came bundled with my copy of SFIV.
I really like those pads. I hold the right side more like a traditional arcade setup, with my index, middle and ring finger all on the face buttons at once. Took a little while to get used to, but once I got the hang of it I couldn't imagine going back to a regular controller.

bread's done
Back