* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#31261 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10116 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:40 PM

I don't mind mystery dungeon games. Azure Dreams was my thing back in the day. Also enjoy Shiren though never got close to beating it. I'm more for dungeon crawlers myself. I will die on the cliff that says Dungeon Travelers 2 was one of the better Vita games and a fine dungeon crawler. My rouge like that I played to death was ADOM. Also played a good amount of Nethack. They were free and the system requirements to play them were nothing.

#31262 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5583 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

Hehe rouge like.

#31263 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37700 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:03 PM

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is finally available to preorder at Best Buy:

PS4

Standard: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6424643

Divine Edition: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6424658

Switch

Standard: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6424652

Divine Edition: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6424655

#31264 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5583 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

I was taking part in an rpg quiz and I can't remember what pokemon game past gen 1 a named character had the quote I like shorts their comfy and easy to wear.  Since gen 1 didn't have names for the trainers. 

#31265 elessar123  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:18 PM

In related dungeon crawler news:

Guess Saviors of Sapphire Wings is getting a physical limited edition.

Includes Stranger of Sword City Revisited, which never went on sale for the Vita. No, I'm not bitter about that. Ok. I am.

#31266 elessar123  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:26 PM

Double post, but different topic. Played about 4 hours of Fairy Tail yesterday.

It's......... very ok. The CG voiced scenes are pretty nice if you're already a fan of the source material.

There's some really questionable choices, like there being a very small amount of human models walking around the city. So you see 3+ identical NPCs walking around everywhere.

In some scenes, the weird shading they use makes the character look really odd. Happy looks like a plastic figure with part of his head melted in one scene. It's very odd.

So far, everything's pretty much been errands and fetch quests. A little annoying that I can only take on one request at a time, even if they're in the same area.

The missus, who's been playing Atelier Sophie, asked if they put the B team on it.

I'm still going to play it, and the missus will too (since she's the bigger Fairy Tail fan). But I guess if you haven't bought it and started it, you're probably not a big enough of a fan of the source to really play this over even the Atelier games.

#31267 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5583 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:09 AM

Double post, but different topic. Played about 4 hours of Fairy Tail yesterday.

It's......... very ok. The CG voiced scenes are pretty nice if you're already a fan of the source material.

There's some really questionable choices, like there being a very small amount of human models walking around the city. So you see 3+ identical NPCs walking around everywhere.

In some scenes, the weird shading they use makes the character look really odd. Happy looks like a plastic figure with part of his head melted in one scene. It's very odd.

So far, everything's pretty much been errands and fetch quests. A little annoying that I can only take on one request at a time, even if they're in the same area.

The missus, who's been playing Atelier Sophie, asked if they put the B team on it.

I'm still going to play it, and the missus will too (since she's the bigger Fairy Tail fan). But I guess if you haven't bought it and started it, you're probably not a big enough of a fan of the source to really play this over even the Atelier games.

I don't know if the entire b team is in there but Juvia is playable I saw someone post elsewhere.  Oddest addition is Men~ is playable from blue pegasus which just feels weird.  Ichiya I think is his name.

People have been saying its atelier with a fairy tail skin.

#31268 Green Card200   The Time Mage CAGiversary!   2454 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Green Card200

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:19 AM

In related dungeon crawler news:

Guess Saviors of Sapphire Wings is getting a physical limited edition.

Includes Stranger of Sword City Revisited, which never went on sale for the Vita. No, I'm not bitter about that. Ok. I am.

Are these games tied together at all? I'm interested in SoSC Revisited but not SoSW. I don't like the characters/art.

#31269 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5583 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:23 AM

Not that I am aware of.

#31270 elessar123  

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:25 AM

I don't know if the entire b team is in there but Juvia is playable I saw someone post elsewhere.  Oddest addition is Men~ is playable from blue pegasus which just feels weird.  Ichiya I think is his name.

People have been saying its atelier with a fairy tail skin.

The Gust B team, not the Fairy Tail B team. Considering Juvia is usable pretty early on, Fairy Tail B team is playable. Pretty sure Gajeel is also playable.

#31271 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5583 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:31 AM

That just leaves Jelall/mystogun, Mirajane and Laxus from the b team then.  

#31272 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9150 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

Omgosh is NIS teasing Disgaea 6 !?

31cdad4d-d01b-466a-9760-70c1e5df84bb.png

#31273 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5131 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:02 PM

Omgosh is NIS teasing Disgaea 6 !?

31cdad4d-d01b-466a-9760-70c1e5df84bb.png

I don't care, I just want DD2 Complete on Vita (lol) or, more likely, PC.

#31274 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7693 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:48 PM

Disgaea news makes me have good memories.

Nk9IVmF.jpg?1

#31275 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   898 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:06 PM

That just leaves Jelall/mystogun, Mirajane and Laxus from the b team then.  

I thought natsu et all were the B team.

#31276 elessar123  

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

I thought natsu et all were the B team.

For Grand Magic games? Natsu was on the A team. B team was Gajeel/Juvia/etc.

Spoiler

#31277 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2796 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:33 PM

Finished my first playthrough of Utawarerumono Prelude, Deception, and Truth.  Enjoyed them more than I had expected.  I would rank them as my second-favorite VN experience so far, only behind the original Steins;Gate.   Great artwork and music all around.

I consider them chiefly a VN since the strategy battle sequences are so casual.  Basically a VN with a battle mechanic rather than route mechanics or whatever you want to call what most VN's have.  Battles are very unpolished in Prelude but develop significantly by Truth.

That said, the biggest points of dragging in the series for me was also in Truth where

Spoiler

I think starting with Prelude and playing them in order definitely helps the player's appreciation of the characters and the unfolding of the plotline.  Sadly this wasn't very accessible to NA players.  I even recently picked up Zan.  I don't have lofty expectations for it but decided that I am now big enough of a fan to own physically copy while they're still available.

#31278 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5583 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

prelude I'm not certain is that important outside of returning characters in mask of decepticons and whatever references it had.  I watched the anime before playing the games so I have some knowledge of things but that didn't all translate into the games since they altered some important stuff including the multiple characters that were killed off in the anime are kept alive in the games which was cool. 

#31279 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

Lost Ruins Kickstarter (ongoing with initial funding goal met)

Really cool retro inspired game that draws from Castlevania, Shantae, Bloodstained CotM and even Higurashi When They Cry.

Will be released on PC (including DRM-free option), Switch, PS4 and Xbox.

#31280 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2796 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

Finally getting around to playing my $32 copy of Sakura Wars.  Played through the end of the 1st chapter.  ...Didn't like it.  But I have no experience with any of the past Sakura Wars material.  Anyone feel like it's worth sticking through the game?  Is the first chapter pretty representative of the whole?  Thinking of getting rid of the disc to break even.

#31281 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   331 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:36 PM

Finally getting around to playing my $32 copy of Sakura Wars.  Played through the end of the 1st chapter.  ...Didn't like it.  But I have no experience with any of the past Sakura Wars material.  Anyone feel like it's worth sticking through the game?  Is the first chapter pretty representative of the whole?  Thinking of getting rid of the disc to break even.

yea the new Sakura Wars is pretty meh, very repetitive in addition to a pretty forgettable cast. If u dont like it after the first chapter, the rest of the game probably wont change your mind.

#31282 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5131 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:37 AM

Finally getting around to playing my $32 copy of Sakura Wars. Played through the end of the 1st chapter. ...Didn't like it. But I have no experience with any of the past Sakura Wars material. Anyone feel like it's worth sticking through the game? Is the first chapter pretty representative of the whole? Thinking of getting rid of the disc to break even.

I’m probably going to get some people riled up, but the entire appeal of Sakura Wars in the first place was the combination of a “real game” with dating sim elements—it was probably the first game to get any hype that did that. The gameplay was never good, even for the time it came out, and the dating elements were fairly generic, though the setting was unusual and the characters could be likeable.

I haven’t played most of them, but I feel like the series probably never really improved from there—while the gameplay may have evolved, it’s never matched contemporary games in the same genre, and even as recently as the PS2/Wii one, I think it was more popular for sticking to its setting, as well as its 90s-style characterization and storytelling, than for being a particularly good game.

This latest one ditches almost all of that in favor of a modern generic moe characterization and aesthetic, making it stand out even less.

#31283 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40127 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:07 AM

I played through it and really enjoyed it, but the main appeal is going to be the dating sim elements and story. The combat is okay, but nothing above average. It's a nice change of pace when it shows up once in awhile, but it's a fairly minor part of the game. The majority of the game is walking around and talking to people and making dialog choices. 

If you're not interested in the characters/story it's probably not worth playing through.

#31284 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2796 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Just a weird situation where i was expecting to like it a lot more than i actually did. Had no fondness for the characters, music, or combat. Might give it another shot down the road if it makes it to pc.

#31285 super1upqueen  

super1upqueen

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:49 AM

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster new DLC announced, "Maniac Pack."

https://www.youtube....ature=emb_title

Featuring Dante.

From the Devil May Cry Series.

#31286 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5131 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:25 AM

Featuring Dante.

Good to see the Megaten team continuing their policy of only making totally superfluous, boring DLC.

#31287 Nocturnx99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   745 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Nocturnx99

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:40 AM

Its weird that they're making him DLC when he was in the original game

Featuring Dante.

#31288 nagpo  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

Well now I have to buy the game

#31289 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5583 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Its weird that they're making him DLC when he was in the original game

It's because this remake whatever is based off the jpn version after the original license expired that had raidou instead of dante iirc reading. 

#31290 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3307 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:59 PM

AI: The Somnium Files for $29.99 switch @bestbuy

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6348842