* * * * - 22 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#16441 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 PM

Valkyria Revolution is getting some fairly bad reviews (albeit, not Akiba's Beat bad). 

That's too bad.  Though to be honest I'd still buy Valkyria-Fu, Valkyria Chronicles Mythologies: Yoko, and No Darcsen's Sky on day one.

#16442 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7440 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 PM

Just in case anyone cares I will give my impressions for Dal Segno likely on Saturday or so after playing it Friday night. I'm hoping for a special game...least it will be a beautiful one at least.

#16443 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   454 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted Yesterday, 10:25 PM

My copy of Valkyria Revolution showed up on Saturday for some reason, so I spent a couple days playing it.

Combat doesn't seem that deep. I honestly feel like I can just run up to all enemies while guarding and then mash sword attacks.  I'm not that far into the game, but hopefully this changes.

Also, I don't really like the way it starts. It's like "These people were labeled as this ____ and ___ happened to them, here's what went down 300 years ago" *Flashback* 

You'll know what I mean when you start. That kind of beginning sort of ruins the fun for me.

ilovehinata.png
Currently Playing: Switch: Mario Kart 8, Zelda: BotW  :ps4: Injustice 2, Akibas Beat, Persona 5   :ps3: Yakuza 5, Yakuza 1&2 HD   :xb1: Dead Rising 4, Battlefield Hardline   :360: Catherine, Tales of Vesperia  :wiiu:  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Twilight Princess HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X   :vita:  Atelier Shallie Plus, Steins;Gate 0, Root Letter   :3ds:  Fire Emblem Echoes, Pokemon Sun, Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice Mobile/Browser games: Fate/Grand Order, Tales of Link, LLSIF, Kantai Collection 

Spoiler

#16444 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7440 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Haha I hate flashbacks in games that become the game overall. One game in particular (Da Capo 3) had me get invested into characters and then I figure out it's just a prologue and the real game is what happened back then. The worst thing is the characters I really wanted to know are in the sequel game. Kind of pissed me off a bit as I was beginning to like the characters or at least get used to them.

#16445 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5002 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

At least Valkyria Revolution doesn't have a main character who looks like he was born with a birth defect where his thumb is permanently lodged up his nose.

Spoiler

I don't think I've seen any other picture for him that doesn't show it this way inside of the game itself.

#16446 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted Today, 01:10 AM

At least Valkyria Revolution doesn't have a main character who looks like he was born with a birth defect where his thumb is permanently lodged up his nose.

Spoiler

I don't think I've seen any other picture for him that doesn't show it this way inside of the game itself.

That would explain why he doesn't like to fight.

#16447 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   3851 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted Today, 01:15 AM

Fate Grand Order should be live. I can't play it because my phone is ancient.

It isn't ancient unless it causes cancer and is bigger than your face (until the cancer makes your head bigger)  

I have a flip phone I got through my job myself so I know the feeling.

Currently on the look out for a decent price on Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.  

#16448 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   3851 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted Today, 01:26 AM

I would never advocate for diminished gameplay systems.  Some of that idea factory stuff is borderline shovelware.  I was strictly speaking about lesser production value in the graphical department.  I believe that music composition, battle systems, the writing, and the 2D character art direction make the jrpg.  Too many resources are wasted on AAA graphics and environments;  FF13 is the perfect example of this.  Which results in so much of the bloat in a development cycle. 

Basically I'm saying that graphics are overrated.  Some of the best games we play are older games where graphics don't matter.  Art direction and style (you know, having its own personality and the creators having a vision) also supersede technical graphics.

Its not so much graphics as it is the bad engine using them. You can have good looking games without them being expensive to make or running like crap.

ff13 tales of zestiria last remnant ect all suffer from bad design issues and over taxing their engines. Or not being properly optimized in general.

Enchanted arms or phantasy star universe look relatively similar and don't have those issues.  Hell even xillia didn't have the frame rate and such issues.

#16449 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   3851 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted Today, 01:33 AM

I know, right? All those extra U characters in words completely throws me off my game.

Seriously though, if a game allows for non-English dubs then it should have subs for everything. I can understand what's being said in the scenes so far without an issue, but I have to wonder how something so basic was overlooked.

maybe they assumed the 10 people who would buy it understood jpn by now ;P

God Wars was done by NISA right? I'll just assume all the good staff went off the God Wars project to work on Ys VIII because that's clearly the bigger and better game. Right? Riiiiiiiiiight?????!?!!

*shudders*

You have my sympathy.

The Vita Theme for Valkyria Revolution is not good. Just static theme, no changes to the icon or new music. The free Touhou and Danganronpa Themes are better imo

Sounds like the ps4 theme.  I am gonna be deleting that one as soon as I figure out how.  I like the rwby theme myself.  didn't know either of those had free options.  Guess I must have missed them.  I only have atelier sophie theme I think for vita.

If NISA doesn't horribly botch Ys translation I will be pleasantly surprised. This is the same company who refused to ever fix the bugs in Witch and The Hundred Knight because they refused to ever admit they exist.

And they even did the enhanced remake port thing of it like they do for nearly all their games.

#16450 ar4757  

Posted Today, 02:27 AM

Its not so much graphics as it is the bad engine using them. You can have good looking games without them being expensive to make or running like crap.

ff13 tales of zestiria last remnant ect all suffer from bad design issues and over taxing their engines. Or not being properly optimized in general.

Enchanted arms or phantasy star universe look relatively similar and don't have those issues.  Hell even xillia didn't have the frame rate and such issues.

Not an rpg but Arcsys sure knows how to work Unreal Engine like no one else while being on somewhat of a budget.

I8AllDaBadgerz.png

#16451 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1005 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:03 AM

I know, right? All those extra U characters in words completely throws me off my game.

Seriously though, if a game allows for non-English dubs then it should have subs for everything. I can understand what's being said in the scenes so far without an issue, but I have to wonder how something so basic was overlooked.

Has NISA commented on this at all?

#16452 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted Today, 03:10 AM

This seems like a result worth keeping for Fate/go.
Spoiler

I'm still not sure what I should be looking for; but that seems a lot better than my first roll of Vlad, guaranteed 4*, and one 3* servant.

#16453 Pheria   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1007 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:22 AM

After the DOA5 Season Pass 4 was removed last week (with it never having a sale), this week Season Pass 5 is on sale until July 25th. This one includes the playable character Mai Shiranui from The King of Fighters series.

DOA5LR Season Pass 5 + Character - $65.09 / $73.39

Season Pass 5 is one of the better ones, in my opinion.

You can stack this with a promo on PSN cards from Green Man Gaming (10% off).

I bought $70 worth for $63 so it's basically like I get a few PSN credit for free when buying Season Pass 5.

Of course you can use it for anything else on PSN, too.

Paypal only worked for me after filling out my billing address in checkout first if you're trying to pay that way.

details on 10% off PSN credit promo:

http://www.siliconer...e-credit-cheap/

Posted Image

#16454 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   5549 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:41 AM

I am really sick of rerolling in Fate/Grand Order.  11 tries and haven't seen a 5* yet.  Gotten several 5* equipment though. As soon as I get one I'm stopping.

The gacha is so expensive on this game though.  You'd never spend money on it.  I'm pretty the game will have limited F2P appeal.  All the more reason to reroll until you get a good unit.  You can always pick Hercules for your free 4* later. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#16455 Pheria   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1007 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:57 AM

The official english Hatsune Miku twitter has been amusing recently as well if anyone is bored. Lately the trend has just been tweeting fire emojis and puns based off 'Hatsune Miku', but if you scroll back enough there was a weird phase where one fan took a photo of miku figures on top of the back of a toilet that got retweeted, and then many more fans putting their collectibles on the toilet / in the bathroom followed.

Posted Image

#16456 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   8999 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:18 AM

And my copy of Valkyria Revolution doesn't come till Thursday. wtf. 

Wish they would just re-release VC 2 & 3. Would buy that. Just hope they don't use the presumably lackluster sales of Revolution to not make Chronicles 4, even though they promised they would still continue to work on the Chronicles series and that Revolution was just a side project for fun

Sounds like the ps4 theme.  I am gonna be deleting that one as soon as I figure out how.  I like the rwby theme myself.  didn't know either of those had free options.  Guess I must have missed them.  I only have atelier sophie theme I think for vita.

The best free themes on the PS4 were from the JPN PSN store. The Senran Kagura Beach Theme, Idolmaster Platinum Stars, and the Limited Tokyo Xanadu theme. New music, changes to the icons, etc.  

I saw the RWBY theme but I forgot to pick it up. I actually have a few themes, but I primarily stick with the Tokyo Xanadu theme.

#16457 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1005 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:53 AM

And my copy of Valkyria Revolution doesn't come till Thursday. wtf. 

Wish they would just re-release VC 2 & 3. Would buy that. Just hope they don't use the presumably lackluster sales of Revolution to not make Chronicles 4, even though they promised they would still continue to work on the Chronicles series and that Revolution was just a side project for fun

I'd love for them to remake 2&3 w/ the remastered VC PS4 engine, especially since we never even got 3.

#16458 godofwar7  

godofwar7

Posted Today, 05:32 AM

I am really sick of rerolling in Fate/Grand Order.  11 tries and haven't seen a 5* yet.  Gotten several 5* equipment though. As soon as I get one I'm stopping.

The gacha is so expensive on this game though.  You'd never spend money on it.  I'm pretty the game will have limited F2P appeal.  All the more reason to reroll until you get a good unit.  You can always pick Hercules for your free 4* later.

I gave up after 3 rerolls. Definitely won't spend anything on this.

#16459 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   3660 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted Today, 08:56 AM

Nintendo Switch Sales Surpasses One Million Units In Japan

Shigeru Miyamoto Explains Why He Was Initially “Worried” About Super Mario Odyssey

Ninja Usagimaru: Two Tails of Adventure announced for PS Vita

First look at the Fire Emblem Warriors Premium Box and Treasure Box

Monster Hunter XX Running on Nintendo Switch Shows Improved Visuals in 15 Minutes of Gameplay

#16460 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5002 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 11:19 AM

Looks like XSeed posted another blog recently. Somewhat interesting read and it focuses on their upcoming game, Zwei:

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection - Localization Blog #1

Has NISA commented on this at all?

Apparently they're working on a patch for it, according to a reply of theirs on Twitter. Outside of that and the very distracting main character portrait, the game is decent so far though. I'm going through it very slowly however.

#16461 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   10010 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 11:48 AM

Wonder if we will get either of those Fire Emblem Warriors Premium Editions in the States?

#16462 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3587 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:32 PM

Has anyone called their credit card company about Play-Asia transactions being declined and how did they fix it? I'm trying to get Capital One to fix my issue with stuff not going through.

NnZPC5V.png

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#16463 Vigilante   CAG is the Key CAGiversary!   35917 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

Wonder if we will get either of those Fire Emblem Warriors Premium Editions in the States?

This is Nintendo of America, so we might get a $20-pricier edition of both with a 10-page art "book" included.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing:  :ds: Dragon Quest VI :ps4: Horizon: Zero Dawn; Tales of Berseria :vita: Persona 4 Golden (NG+); Salt & Sanctuary

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps4: Firewatch (3.5/5) :vita: Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition (4.0/5)