* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#18631 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10024 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

That can't be official artwork. Can it?

#18632 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2772 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

So remember when I said Vigilante and Vic were Trophy kings? Well if they are kings, then Supplice is a Trophy god. I actually thought it was a glitch when I first saw his trophy level. He's level 72 with over 400 platinums. I've never seen someone's level so high, he has more platinums than I have games. Kneel before Supplice.

Also, anyone notice a strange trend of weird public transit incidents lately? There was one in NY, then I saw one similar in a foreign news channel. Both incidents had a bus driver drive straight full speed into pedestrians/cars without trying to break. The reason for both were also unexplained and had no motive. Other similar incidents popped up when I went to look it up. Reminds me of the Mental Shutdowns from Persona 5...

Check out my new album! BRW Tries Español (Horribly)

Flips Won't Die - Suckira     Incognito - BRW Fonsi Ft. Nico Yazawa

Check out the CAG Backloggers Anonymous Group! Game of August: Final Fantasy Type-0

AWD Unboxing Video      AWD Unboxing 2: The Revenge     Nier Automata: Black Box CE Unboxing

#18633 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2566 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

So remember when I said Vigilante and Vic were Trophy kings? Well if they are kings, then Supplice is a Trophy god. I actually thought it was a glitch when I first saw his trophy level. He's level 72 with over 400 platinums. I've never seen someone's level so high, he has more platinums than I have games. Kneel before Supplice.

Also, anyone notice a strange trend of weird public transit incidents lately? There was one in NY, then I saw one similar in a foreign news channel. Both incidents had a bus driver drive straight full speed into pedestrians/cars without trying to break. The reason for both were also unexplained and had no motive. Other similar incidents popped up when I went to look it up. Reminds me of the Mental Shutdowns from Persona 5...

If the sky starts raining blood and people start disappearing, I'll let you know.

#18634 EdJericho   2.5D Seiyuu Fanboy CAGiversary!   733 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

My imagination of you when you see kids

ChildrenSlaughter.png

djBkj51.gif

a2JEVSf.gifT6rlETZ.gif

#18635 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   4185 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

Switch Exclusive Shin Megami Tensei Gets Another New Tease from Atlus

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round DLC Releases Ending This Year; Developers Prepare for the Future

Monster Hunter World Looks Spectacular in 11 Minutes of PS4 Multiplayer Gameplay Hunting Barroth

Spoiler

#18636 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5278 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

My review/thoughts on Utawarerumono: The Mask of Truth (With a fair bit of Mask of Deception in there):

Spoiler

Wasn't sure how long it'd turn out, but at 2,279 words it's one of my longer ones. I don't think I did much back editing, so it shouldn't feel particularly jumpy. I guess I should pre-write my Sunday release list so I don't hate myself doing it in the morning.

#18637 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3231 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:32 AM

If the sky starts raining blood and people start disappearing, I'll let you know.

One can only hope...

Killbomb.png

#18638 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1137 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:42 AM

That's the arcade controller layout it's emulating. You can choose to either change the button config in the game or actually move the buttons around in the controller if you so choose. 

Yeah, I figured it is probably the same in the arcade. It's just odd that they spread the arrows and buttons out instead of putting them together, especially when they are already in two standard 4 button layouts. Nice that you can move them around, though I imagine you can't in the arcade

#18639 Supplice   Hmph CAGiversary!   4185 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

Atelier 20th Anniversary Festival set for December 2

Atelier Online’s New Trailer Shares A Peek At Key Characters And Synthesis System

Spoiler

Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match details tank customization, five-versus-five online battles, and original story mode

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker Gives Us A Look At Some Multiplayer Action At TGS 2017

Spoiler

Secret of Mana Remake Gets Single-Player And Multiplayer Gameplay Footage At TGS 2017

Spoiler

Nioh Complete Edition launches digitally on November 7 in Japan, physically on December 7

Spoiler

Fire Emblem Warriors To Get Fates, Shadow Dragon, And Awakening, DLC Expansions With New Heroes

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time Gets First Diana Footage And Demo Announcement

#18640 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3715 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

even though she has a dragonball z dude's face?

can't unsee it!

All of Akira Toriyama's girls look like that.

You couldn't help noting with every breath that thousands of other people were very close to you and nearly all of them had armpits.

#18641 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5278 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Week 5 of the release bonanza or week 4 for Japanese niche only releases. Pretty heavy console week this week, especially for this thread. Western release wise it's not particularly big with only really FIFA 18 and Pinball FX3. I know I'm looking forward to the reviews on Cuphead and hopefully it'll come to PS4 at some point.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- 麻将VR (Mahjong / Chinese Only)
- The Coma: Recut (Adventure)

Weekly Releases (September 24th - September 30th)

Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Blue Reflection
- Platform(s): PS4, PC

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Demo: Yes.

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.

Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Seems to be releasing, but CE pre-orders might be slightly delayed based on recent Gaijinworks tweet. Possible next week or the week after though to make sure it releases along side the CEs. Sony has it listed for this week.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School
- Genre: Survival Horror
- Comments: Korean dev.

Gundam Versus
- Genre: Third-Person / Action

The Girl and the Robot
- Genre: Adventure / Action / RPG
- Comments: Canadian dev. Previously released on PC.

Pharaonic
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Sidescroller / Action RPG
- Comments: Spanish Dev.

SteamWorld Dig 2
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Not Japanese. Released on PC last week. Cross-buy.

Light Tracer
- Platform(s): PSVR
- Genre: Puzzle
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Koi
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Adventure / Exploration
- Comments: Chinese dev. Previously released on PS4.

Arcade Archives Mario Bros.
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Digital only. Original Mario Bros., not Super Mario Bros.

One Piece: Unlimited World Red
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Previously released on PC & PS4.

Cuphead
- Platform(s): XB1, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Here's hoping it turns out good.

Elisa: Seduce the Innkeeper
- Platform(s): PC
- Comments: Not Japanese. Likely has an 18+ version.

GALACTIC FIELD 银河领域
- Genre: Strategy

Kilmonger
- Comments: Russian Dev.

River City Melee : Battle Royal Special
- Genre: 2D Brawler

战术狂想1
- Genre: Strategy

Learn (Japanese) Kana The Fun Way!
- Genre: Learning / Puzzle

LEGRAND LEGACY: Tale of the Fatebounds
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Kickstarter game.

Carpe Diem: Reboot
- Comments: Original was free to play, this is a direct sequel.

Past Releases
September 17th - September 23rd
September 10th - September 16th
September 3rd - September 9th
August 27th - September 2nd
August 20th - August 26th

#18642 TheKbob   Rock On, Duder CAGiversary!   1305 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Say if someone was planning on going to Japan/in Japan, what would be good games to keep an eye out for to play regardless of system?  Mainly ones with lower language barriers, but also interested in collectors pieces.

76561197985623817.png

#18643 Ibacai  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

I really want to be sold on the naruto strikers but there is something clunky about the gameplay. I’m hoping it’s just because those playing are garbage and not the game itself. I’ll pick it up if I see better videos.

#18644 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8025 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Say if someone was planning on going to Japan/in Japan, what would be good games to keep an eye out for to play regardless of system?  Mainly ones with lower language barriers, but also interested in collectors pieces.

Really likely need to put what system you're looking out for. I'd recommend something like IA/VT Colorful for Vita. Likely most things like shmups and rhythm games are gold. RPGs unless they have translation guides are harder to really enjoy. VNs likely the same.

#18645 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2772 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Like nitrosmob said, IA/VT Colorful for the Vita is a must have, it's my pick for best Vita and best Rhythm game. Main menus are in English, and it's easy to navigate and understand.

I'm going to assume you're mostly looking for Playstation games since they are region free and dominant there. PS4 has a couple of Fighting Games only in Japan, like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition, Blade Arcus, and Kohime Enbu. The latter 2 are also available on Steam, but in case you want a physical copy, and they are fighting games so it's easy to understand/play.

Other games I'm not too familiar with include Miracle Girls Festival, the Love Live games, the Taiko Drum series, and the original Gal Gun, which all should be easy to play even without knowing Japanese.

Check out the CAG Backloggers Anonymous Group! Game of August: Final Fantasy Type-0

AWD Unboxing Video      AWD Unboxing 2: The Revenge     Nier Automata: Black Box CE Unboxing

#18646 Tinmanofsteel1   Banana CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Tinmanofsteel1

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Do you guys see Yakuza Kiwami 2 coming to the USA anytime soon? I know Yakuza 0 did pretty well in the US, but I'm not sure how Yakuza Kiwami is doing. I see plenty of copies of Yakuza Kiwami at my Best Buy. I hope Yakuza 6 does well

#18647 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   1895 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

i hope the doa dlc gets a fire sale discount finally, but judging what happened with the attack on titan & fairy tale dlc i won't keep my hopes up.

other than IA i feel like almost every japanese game is getting eventually localized this generation.

#18648 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   776 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Do you guys see Yakuza Kiwami 2 coming to the USA anytime soon? I know Yakuza 0 did pretty well in the US, but I'm not sure how Yakuza Kiwami is doing. I see plenty of copies of Yakuza Kiwami at my Best Buy. I hope Yakuza 6 does well

After Y6 yeah, Y2 is regarded extremely highly in the series, along with Y0. So I'd expect them to bring it over at some point. Meanwhile with Kiwami, I'm enjoying it but it's nothing incredible. Majima's pretty hilarious though

Now for the picture of the day:

51984_v.gif                                           I8AllDaBadgerz.png

#18649 Tinmanofsteel1   Banana CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Tinmanofsteel1

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

After Y6 yeah, Y2 is regarded extremely highly in the series, along with Y0. So I'd expect them to bring it over at some point. Meanwhile with Kiwami, I'm enjoying it but it's nothing incredible. Majima's pretty hilarious though

Can't wait to play it again. I played the original on the ps2 but haven't gotten around to playing Kiwami. I'm so glad SEGA is bringing them over to the US. Just crossing my fingers for a Yakuza 5 physical release or at least a rerelease of Yakuza 3-5 on the ps4

#18650 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6346 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

You should go buy one.

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#18651 Tinmanofsteel1   Banana CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Tinmanofsteel1

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:37 PM

You should go buy one.

I did the first day it came out.

#18652 TheKbob   Rock On, Duder CAGiversary!   1305 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

Really likely need to put what system you're looking out for. I'd recommend something like IA/VT Colorful for Vita. Likely most things like shmups and rhythm games are gold. RPGs unless they have translation guides are harder to really enjoy. VNs likely the same.

I have a PS3, PS4, and PSVita.  I would be willing to get some Japaese consoles, too.  Going to be here awhile. 

76561197985623817.png

#18653 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3547 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:33 PM

I have a PS3, PS4, and PSVita.  I would be willing to get some Japaese consoles, too.  Going to be here awhile. 

Those are all region free, I think. 

#18654 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10024 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

they are

#18655 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2772 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:19 AM

Yeah, they are all Region Free. There's only 1 game I know isn't Region Free, and it's Persona 4 Arena if I remember correctly, since they couldn't release it in Europe or something and delayed it for a while. They did eventually release it there with a bonus Vinyl Soundtrack though.

#18656 mawarup   CAG STILL in Training CAGiversary!   78 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:19 AM

Not a game deal but I am sure someone is atleast interested, Monster Girl enclyopedia Vol 2. is 19.36 for pre-order on amazon. 

#18657 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1137 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:21 AM

Got my Danganronpa V3 CE today. The bag has some scratch marks on the clasp and the hat has a few tears. I'm not sure if this is intended or not

Spoiler
Spoiler

It's hard to get the scratches on a photo...

=/

#18658 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:58 AM

I don't know about the scratches, but I'd say the hat is likely intentional. It looks like all the other "pre-wear-and-tear" bills I've seen.

#18659 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10024 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, they are all Region Free. There's only 1 game I know isn't Region Free, and it's Persona 4 Arena if I remember correctly, since they couldn't release it in Europe or something and delayed it for a while. They did eventually release it there with a bonus Vinyl Soundtrack though.

Persona 4 Arena was region locked to prevent reverse importation since the US and JPN release was so close to each other and our version was a lot cheaper.

#18660 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4050 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:27 AM

I don't even think it would be that cheap after shipping costs.

Currently on the look out for a decent price on Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.