* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#20581 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4668 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

#20582 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5571 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Weekly free PSN junk:

Resident Evil 7

PS4

- Not a Hero

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite

PS4

- Sharefactory Theme

Tokyo Xanadu eX+

PS4

- Complete DLC Collection

- Free Sample Set 1

- Free Sample Set 2

- Free Sample Set 3

- Free Sample Set 4

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash

PS4

- Bus-Tree

Lost Sphear

PS4

- Demo

Fighting Ex Layer

PS4

- Beta Demo

The Last Guardian

PS4 VR

- VR Demo

PSN's Holiday Sale (Week 1) starts today. Up to 50% off with PS+ being up to 60%. Also that "Complete DLC Collection" for Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is not a mistake. The enhanced version received all of Vita's DLC content for free. Not sure why it wasn't included with the base game like the PC version was. It's mostly just aesthetic equippable add-ons for characters such as a dozen different pairs of glasses at least.

#20583 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2933 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

They ran out of ideas for costumes...? Wow, poor girls. What they must've been through.

#20584 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6290 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

They ran out of ideas for costumes...? Wow, poor girls. What they must've been through.

Holy shit, are they charging money for those? If those where free un-lockable in game I don't think I would ever use a single one, let alone actually pay. LOL

#20585 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4668 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Whelp, I'm going to be a little busy.  :whee: RE7 - End of Zoe, Not a Hero DLCs and FFXV: Episode Ignis tomorrow. 

-

#20586 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

Anyone in here played Dark Rose Valkyrie? I see it's $15 in this weeks holiday sale on PSN. I did check and it has mediocre review scores but I couldn't tell if the few I looked at were from people that generally enjoy CH games like Neptunia and Fairy Fencer. If I had more money to blow I'd just go for it, but you know holidays and stuff.

#20587 BigManJapan  

BigManJapan

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

I like those Monster Rancher inspired costumes, especially Ayane's. Still not going to buy any though. Wonder if a "Complete" physical edition will ever be released with all the DLC.

#20588 Ibacai  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Delayed to March to “Implement New Modes”

Son of a $&@“%! Sigh, guess it gives me more time with Monster Hunter World and Dragonball Fighterz.

#20589 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7011 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

whew, I certainly don't mind delaying another huge credit card charge by a couple months.  NNK2 will be sweet when we get it. 

I also love the Japanese take on finishing video games.   For several companies it's "It'll be ready when it's ready".  We actually still get complete, tested, improved products and extra features from them.   We should be thankful for getting polished games.  Instead of the western way of doing things:  crunch crunch crunch and just get it out the door ASAP in order to meet publisher demands and satisfy shareholder interests. 

When Japanese games get delayed it just pleases me.  I'm surprised this stuff hasn't been talked about more in gaming news and editorials but then again I'm currently out of the loop. 

#20590 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8678 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Man I love demos and betas. Really showed me I'm passing on Monster Hunter World. I just don't find the game too fun, even though it's OK. I prefer my action more like the Souls games. Plus I do dislike grind in games and have heard it's necessary to craft armor and weapons. Different strokes for different folks.

#20591 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2536 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

I'm surprised this stuff hasn't been talked about more in gaming news and editorials but then again I'm currently out of the loop. 

It's worth pointing out that Japanese development frequently focuses much more heavily on single-player narrative experiences. Not always, naturally, but I find it does seem to be a common element in many Japanese titles. The Japanese definitely seem to love stories, it helps to explain a lot of their development focus. And narrative experiences do have a tendency to play better with a development cycle that focuses on a completed experience, rather than one that gets rolled out in stages.

Western development over the past decade has shifted HARD towards on-line multiplayer games. And these types of games frequently get rolled out over time, as opposed to a single major release. More often than not an initial "release" of such a game is really just a beta. The first few months on the market involve frequent patching. And we've seen how most major publishers feel about narrative experiences recently. Entire development houses are getting shuttered if they specialize in narrative design.

Of course, much of this is motivated by money. The transition to HD development hit the Japanese game industry hard, and it's only just now beginning to turn things around. Japanese game development hadn't learned the lessons it should have from the Japanese animation industry, and there was a lot of overhead and waste, especially on the technical side of things. Re-making game engines from scratch for every title wasn't a particularly good idea back in the 16-bit era, and is untenable in modern game development. So for a while, Japanese developers were hard-pressed on the financial side of things, unable to adapt rapidly to the changes and demands that the industry was undergoing.

But now many Japanese developers have managed to transition to a more modern approach to development. They have started to adopt more modern engines like Unreal 4 and Unity, and are getting their toolsets and production pipelines streamlined to a point where they can recycle elements between releases. They're also getting better about using art assets more efficiently, and utilizing shaders for stylized rendering that decreases their overall art budgets. And perhaps more importantly, they've discovered the advantages of cross-platform releases. Gone are the days when they would focus solely on the dominant console in Japan. Now Japanese developers release their games on every appropriate platform they can port them to. This increased reach is garnering them a lot more overseas sales, which helps to keep the doors open and the lights on.

#20592 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5571 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

For any who still play Overwatch, the games winter event, Winter Wonderland, has gone live on all platforms. It will last until January 2nd, which is the usual three weeks. There were no real leaks this time around, so I didn't bother posting it early. It has last years brawl of Mei's Snowball Offensive as well as a new one, Yeti Hunter, which is 5 Mei's vs 1 Winston in an Evolve style gametype.

Event specific skins, highlights and emotes can be found here. Like past events, you can use the item tracker to help track your event specific loot progress. It hasn't been updated for the 2017 stuff yet, but should within 24 hours.

Bonus Patch Notes.

#20593 nagpo  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

This is pretty pathetic if I'm being honest

#20594 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   205 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

Isn't the game 720p native tho?

#20595 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2536 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

Isn't the game 720p native tho?

No 3D rendered game has one fixed native resolution. Depending on the platform, it can be rendered at all sorts of different resolutions. I believe the Xbox 360 release for Bayonetta featured 1080p support, while the PS3 version topped out at 720p. The recent PC release of Bayonetta most likely runs at whatever resolution your rig can manage.

Having a Switch release of the game target 720p is not actually unusual. Nor is it really pathetic, as nagpo is attempting to assert. The Switch's base rendering resolution is 720p, as that is the resolution closest to the fixed resolution of its built-in screen. Most Switch games target 720p by default, and will occasionally support 1080p for docked playback. More often than not, they remain at 720p for their base rendering, and simply upscale those graphics to 1080p for docked playback. (which is not as high-quality as native 1080p rendering)

I have no trouble believing that the Bayonetta releases for the Switch will target 720p. The Bayonetta series is an action-focused franchise with extremely tight and responsive twitch controls. It's what it's known for. As such, increased native resolution isn't nearly as important to those games as a smooth framerate is. The Switch is a mobile platform, and has very limited hardware. There's only so much performance to be squeezed out of it. And when push comes to shove, compromises have to be made. Platinum games will definitely choose framerate over resolution if they have to decide between the two.

#20596 BigManJapan  

BigManJapan

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

Pathetic? Yes. Surprising? No.

#20597 dsman3717   Saber is Life CAGiversary!   630 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

dsman3717

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

Eh. If it's really 60 fps, then I am fine with 720p.

#20598 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2038 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:11 AM

For any who still play Overwatch, the games winter event, Winter Wonderland, has gone live on all platforms. It will last until January 2nd, which is the usual three weeks. There were no real leaks this time around, so I didn't bother posting it early. It has last years brawl of Mei's Snowball Offensive as well as a new one, Yeti Hunter, which is 5 Mei's vs 1 Winston in an Evolve style gametype.

Event specific skins, highlights and emotes can be found here. Like past events, you can use the item tracker to help track your event specific loot progress. It hasn't been updated for the 2017 stuff yet, but should within 24 hours.

Bonus Patch Notes.

wow i wa waiting for this, snuck up on me.

alsp team ninja should hire me, I have tons of ideas for new costumes for Doa5. :D

#20599 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3468 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:30 AM

I fully expect Bayonetta 3 to be 720p as well if they hope to hit 60 FPS.

#20600 nagpo  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:30 AM

No 3D rendered game has one fixed native resolution. Depending on the platform, it can be rendered at all sorts of different resolutions. I believe the Xbox 360 release for Bayonetta featured 1080p support, while the PS3 version topped out at 720p. The recent PC release of Bayonetta most likely runs at whatever resolution your rig can manage.

Having a Switch release of the game target 720p is not actually unusual. Nor is it really pathetic, as nagpo is attempting to assert. The Switch's base rendering resolution is 720p, as that is the resolution closest to the fixed resolution of its built-in screen. Most Switch games target 720p by default, and will occasionally support 1080p for docked playback. More often than not, they remain at 720p for their base rendering, and simply upscale those graphics to 1080p for docked playback. (which is not as high-quality as native 1080p rendering)

I have no trouble believing that the Bayonetta releases for the Switch will target 720p. The Bayonetta series is an action-focused franchise with extremely tight and responsive twitch controls. It's what it's known for. As such, increased native resolution isn't nearly as important to those games as a smooth framerate is. The Switch is a mobile platform, and has very limited hardware. There's only so much performance to be squeezed out of it. And when push comes to shove, compromises have to be made. Platinum games will definitely choose framerate over resolution if they have to decide between the two.

It's pathetic that a game that came out 09 is only 720p on a system that released this year. Even if it's just the nature of the system it's being ported to, then it's also an insult to Nintendo's terrible hardware. It's like Nintendo has made no progress hardware wise in all these years. I have a Switch, I like mario - it's an okay game. But the graphics in that one aren't good either. Look at the grass textures for example.

Nintendo made a mistake in some regards by making the Switch both a console and handheld. It's a jack of all trades but master of none.

#20601 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11527 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:29 AM

720p is fine for handheld mode as long as it's 60fps.

#20602 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4257 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:25 AM

I'm in the camp that doesn't care about graphics.  So long as there aren't jaggies everywhere and the framerate isn't shitastic like tales of zesty lemons I

I'm good.

#20603 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4668 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:17 AM

Spoiler

#20604 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10998 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:25 AM

only a matter of time until they announce the Asia English ver.

#20605 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6290 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

It's pathetic that a game that came out 09 is only 720p on a system that released this year. Even if it's just the nature of the system it's being ported to, then it's also an insult to Nintendo's terrible hardware. It's like Nintendo has made no progress hardware wise in all these years. I have a Switch, I like mario - it's an okay game. But the graphics in that one aren't good either. Look at the grass textures for example.

Nintendo made a mistake in some regards by making the Switch both a console and handheld. It's a jack of all trades but master of none.

I'm the first to admit I saw the NS as a jack of all trades, and I didn't think it would do anything well enough that consumers would want it in any great numbers(I was completely wrong). But "N" has always been about functionality over specs, as the GC was the last system they offered with good specs for the time. Every handheld they have ever offered was well behind the competition each gen, and they have won out each and every time without fail.

The Wii, which was probably their best selling home console was pretty much a repackaged GC, and it sold over 100 mil with that dated hardware. So to say they are behind the times is very true, but it's been their MO more often than not, and has worked out just as well in most cases.

In the last few days it was announced the NS has sold 10 million worldwide, which honestly boggles my mind. It's only been 9 months, and by their first year, they will have past Wii U lifetime sales. Their numbers are just shy of what the PS4 did in the same stretch of time, so why do they need new specs, when what is being offered is a juggernaut at retail?

Their selling old mobile hardware tech at new system pricing, and doing it well. So while I thought the NS was a bad joke, and still do to a great degree, I can't argue with their success and how they achieved it. The system for me is still overpriced, to large for my taste, and the games are still pretty "blah". But someone is buying it to the tune of 10 million in less than a year, and once the holidays are over, it may end up being the fastest selling system of all time.

And this was all done with dated hardware and specs, go figure uh?

EDIT: And while I personally have no issues with dated tech, I do have an issue paying premium prices for it. So that is why I'm not about supporting the NS currently, but having recently got my son one, the hardware is pretty nice, just not worth the asking price(IMO). The Wii U ran games fine for my taste, I just didn't like how slow the OS was, but the NS being bare bones is really zippy.

#20606 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2753 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

"Dated tech" is less important to the non 'hardcore gamer' (I hate that term, but have nothing else to express the sentiment) than we may think. The 360 and P3 were plenty graphically impressive for most, even in some 'bad games'. As an example, on a lark, I pulled out a poor 360 game over Thanksgiving weekend, Black College Football Experience, and both my wife (who was a Metal Gear Solid gamer) and my Mother-in-Law (a Candy Crush gamer) thought that I was watching a television broadcast.  And let me stress BCFX is janky as hell! But it looks 'good enough' at a side glance.

Also, Nintendo is great at using art, particularly stylized (e.g. non-realistic) art as their graphical basis. This allows them to look good even without the pixel pushing power.

Personally, I'll be honest that many times I cant tell the graphical differences either, and I say that as now a primarily PC gamer. I can tell 30fps vs 60fps in like racing games. I can see pop-in as a result of draw distance, but a lot of fine detail, I gloss over in actual game sessions.  The only reason I'm 'upset' about the weak Switch hardware is that it makes it less likely to be a 'complete' system, meaning 3rd parties cant easily port their other games over.

But that's mostly me still wishing for the arrival of the "One Console Further", Denis Dyack and others have talked about. :)

#20607 Ponoko Senpai  

Ponoko Senpai

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

night of azure 2 ps4 is $40 new at gamestop, it's the cheapest i've seen since its' oct release.

#20608 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5571 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

https://www.greenman...m/consoles/ps4/

10% off PSN Credit codes. The $50 PSN credit is already out of stock of course.

#20609 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4257 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

I didn't see any mention of it but steven universe save the light update 1.03 was released.

#20610 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10998 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:37 PM

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite is already 29.99

Lmao. Would buy it. But the Character DLC puts me off. Rather wait for the eventual Ultimate ver and if that never comes, I got Under in Night and Cross Tag. And the Street Fighter Collection. Lulz.