* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#24091 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2937 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:50 AM

This could be fun... here, if you solve these riddles you can have my PSN 20% off code too.

Letter of the Persona game released on 3DS

Fairy Fencer _

The number of humans on the front and back of the Persona 5 Steelbook

First letter of the fruit that falls on Kat's head

Megadimension Neptunia _ (#)

First letter of the first name of the character in my avatar

First letter of the name of the Overwatch character that uses a bow

Street Fighter _ 3rd Strike (#)

Persona _ Golden

First letter of the name of Dante's gun that isn't Ivory

#24092 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1198 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

Spoiler

All content from the other edition, but with extra stands.

Too bad it's missing the artbook =/

Well, at least with the straps being the only difference I can skip the more expensive version.

#24093 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2057 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:45 AM

Aww i wanted the artbook over the soundtrack, :(

#24094 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4698 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:33 AM

Fighting EX Layer for PS4 Gets Release Date and Move Lists for All Characters

Monster Hunter World Gets Free Potions Pack and Updated Event Quest Schedule

Fate/Extella Link ‘New Action Systems’ short gameplay video

Spoiler

Sonic Birthday 2018 set for June 23

Record of Grancrest War Gets Extensive Trailer Showing Features and More

Spoiler

Dabi and Himiko Toga revealed for My Hero: One’s Justice

Etrian Odyssey X Trailer Features Its Classes, Character Create, Skill Tree, And Party Setups

Spoiler

Ys VIII Switch gameplay trailer

Gust Celebrates Atelier Series’ 20th Anniversary With A Character Popularity Poll

Atelier Series Teases A New Development Set To Be Revealed On June 14

Our World is Ended director starts work on ‘New World Project 2,’ likely for PS4 and Switch

#24095 akgamerx  

akgamerx

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Anyone who who still has GCU with bestbuy, don't make any mistakes. BB is looking for any and every reason to cancel peoples GCU discounts. I had until 2021 and my membership was abruptly canceled for buying more than 3 copies of a game recently, the first time I had done so in a very long time. In past years though I did it all the time (A LOT) with no repercussions at all lol so my point is they'll cut you at the drop of a hat these days. Just a heads up.

#24096 dragonx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   20 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

The King of Fighters '98 & 2002 UM FE now available DRM Free on GOG

KOF '98 UM: https://www.gog.com/...._final_edition

KOF 2k2 UM: https://www.gog.com/....nlimited_match

These are the same games that have been available on steam just DRM Free. Also judging from the leader boards, the games don't appear to be linked to the steam version.

Both are on sale right now for 50% off each but if you buy them together it's 66% off, so both games for under $10 together.

#24097 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1797 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

Greenmangaming has a few PQube games on sale. It's stackable with their 25% off everything PC coupon JUNE25

#24098 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4698 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Devil May Cry 5 keeps leaking, this time with a new retailer listing

Harvest Moon Creator Explains Why The Heroes Of Little Dragons Café Are Cute Losers

Mary Skelter 2 Delayed A Couple Weeks In Japan But Fans Are Getting Bonuses For The Wait

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Documentary Takes Us Through Its History With FGC Icons

Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 Remasters Will Not Include Any Cut Content

Sorcery Saga Cooks Up Adventure On The PC On June 4, 2018

My Hero: One’s Justice Switch tech details, supported controllers

Monster Hunter Illustrations books due out later this year

Hideki Kamiya Says Games Are Art, Not Mass-Produced Things, And That’s How They Need To Be Made

#24099 NeoMonk  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

Yomawari: The Long Night Collection up on NIS America for Nintendo Switch

Spoiler

#24100 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3938 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Monster Hunter Illustrations books due out later this year

Ah, damn. Really got my hopes up for a new MHI book, but it's just Udon reprinting the first two as hardcovers. Probably with all the same errors.

#24101 nagpo  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

I saw this yesterday as well. But this article says the the rumors stem from december of last year. game "journalists" really don't know the deep lore of the development of rumors and hints behind DMC5, which have stemmed from way before that. This is my most anticipated game.

#24102 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4698 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:50 PM

Mary Skelter 2 Shows Off Several Event CGs And New Music Tracks

Deep Down Trademark Extended Again by Capcom, Implying that Development May Still Be Ongoing

Fighting EX Layer’s PS4 Gameplay Shows Three Matches Among Familiar Street Fighter EX Characters

Spoiler

El Shaddai Creator’s The Lost Child Gets New Trailer Showing an Event in Akihabara

Spoiler

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 soundtrack sells nearly 15,000 copies in its first week

Pre-order Octopath Traveler at GameStop, get a character card and sticker set

My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? reaches Kickstarter goal

#24103 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2057 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:23 PM

Damm i wish kof 2002 UM was released on ps4. Also snk vs sf chaos for the hell of it.

#24104 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2057 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:30 PM

Damm that yakuza news title is confusing. I thought it meant the yakuza remasters were going to be the American censored versions, but in reality they are the Japanese full versions but won't be getting the "kiwami" treatment for bonus content.

#24105 Miker525  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:45 PM

Damm that yakuza news title is confusing. I thought it meant the yakuza remasters were going to be the American censored versions, but in reality they are the Japanese full versions but won't be getting the "kiwami" treatment for bonus content.

Is that what it means? I read the headline, then the article and was still confused. I know the US version still hasn't technically been announced but are they just going to up res the US version of the game then? Just confused how to make sense of it

#24106 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   421 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:16 AM

Deep Down Trademark Extended Again by Capcom, Implying that Development May Still Be Ongoing

I am still waiting for the day when they reveal the logo "Deep Down" only to have a dragon flame char all but the 2 letter Ds. Then the charred letters crumble and reveal the words "Dragons Dogma 2"

#24107 EvraiTerrule  

EvraiTerrule

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:31 AM

I am still waiting for the day when they reveal the logo "Deep Down" only to have a dragon flame char all but the 2 letter Ds. Then the charred letters crumble and reveal the words "Dragons Dogma 2"

You and me both! 🤩

#24108 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5593 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

I can't believe we're getting a Shaq-Fu game. Shaq has been adopted by the Chinese and is back for more in his new copyright evading Beat'em Up.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Kitsune Kitchen (Visual Novel / Parody)

Weekly Releases (June 3rd - June 9th)

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
- Platform(s): 3DS, Switch
- Genre: Puzzle / Action
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Aragami: Shadow Edition
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Stealth
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Contains the base game, plus the new Nightfall story expansion.

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Demo: Yes
- Online: Yes

Riddled Corpses EX
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, XB1
- Genre: Twin-Stick Shooter
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC.

Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Strategy / Simulation
- Comments: Reviewed really poorly on Steam prior to the English localization.

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Beat'em Up

PlayStation 4 (Days of Play Edition)
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Hardware
- Comments: Limited edition console release.

Super Hydorah (Limited Run Games)
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: LRG Physical Release.

Slime-san: Superslime Edition (Limited Run Games)
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Contains all three major campaigns, exclusive levels and a couple other things.

Happy Birthdays
- Genre: Simulation / God
- Comments: A decent time waster. Previously released on PS4 & PC.

A Magical High School Girl
- Genre: Roguelike / RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

ACA NeoGeo: Riding Hero
- Genre: Racing
- Comments: Digital only.

Iro Hero
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: PC release date TBA.

Kadobat Wars!
- Genre: Cards / RPG
- Comments: Digital only.

Samurai Defender: Ninja Warfare
- Genre: Tower Defense
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on 3DS. Includes new levels and more.

The Banner Saga 2
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1 & PC.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on 3DS, PS4, Vita, Switch & PC.

SG/ZH: School Girl/Zombie Hunter
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / Zombie / Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Previously released on PS4.

Hakoniwa Explorer Plus
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: AGM Playism Published

Ganbare! Super Strikers
- Genre: SRPG / Socccer

Football Girls: Dream Team
- Genre: Dating Sim? / Match 3

The Wilting Amaranth
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yuri?

Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
- Genre: Roguelike / RPG
- Comments: Previously released on the Vita.

Past Releases
May 28th - June 2nd
May 20th - May 26th
May 13th - May 19th
May 6th - May 12th
April 29th - May 5th

#24109 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5593 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

You missed Vampyr, which comes out June 5th.

I didn't really overlook it. Do people want that on the list? Since I gather the list myself, I do some minor curation. As to why it wasn't added doesn't really matter, just whether people want me to add it to the list or not. There are some games in the past I've added that didn't belong, but I've largely left many off because I felt they didn't fit.

I really hope the next forum iteration works better for stuff like making a Wiki post so I can pull my weekly list from there like I used to before our Wiki broke.

#24110 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2625 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

As far as I'm concerned the list could have ended at Fuck.:D

#24111 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1275 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

I didn't really overlook it. Do people want that on the list? Since I gather the list myself, I do some minor curation. As to why it wasn't added doesn't really matter, just whether people want me to add it to the list or not. There are some games in the past I've added that didn't belong, but I've largely left many off because I felt they didn't fit.

I really hope the next forum iteration works better for stuff like making a Wiki post so I can pull my weekly list from there like I used to before our Wiki broke.

I wasn't aware you curated your list, I just assumed you put up whatever the major releases are for the week and happened to miss the one I mentioned.  Nevermind then.

#24112 NeoStrayCat   Cat Person! :3 CAGiversary!   851 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

NeoStrayCat

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Draekon, FYI, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle does have a demo, but its for PS4 and Switch. (Regardless, it was already out in JP/Asia regions just a couple days ago, and its in full English right off the bat, its just the US will have to wait for theirs on Tuesday and EU/PAL regions on 6/22 with included Multi-5 [EFIGS] translation).

Also, remember that both Blake (which is forever free) and the DLC Character Pack 1 is free for 2 weeks on PS4/Switch, and 1 month on Steam, the steam version will also include the digital OST (15 tracks) and the Artbook that's included in the various physical LE's across the world. However, it will no longer be offered until after July 6th on steam for the DLC 1 Pack and the Artbook/OST. (Note: You'll have to buy the game first on steam, obviously, to get said bonuses.)

#24113 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2421 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:48 AM

I wasn't aware you curated your list, I just assumed you put up whatever the major releases are for the week and happened to miss the one I mentioned. Nevermind then.

It's a Japanese Niche games thread. He doesn't just list every release. Vampyr is not a Japanese game.

#24114 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5593 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:13 AM

It's a Japanese Niche games thread. He doesn't just list every release. Vampyr is not a Japanese game.

Well to be fair, I've posted stuff that shouldn't have really been included like Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, among others. My self curation rules are usually:

1) Is it Asian developed? Include it.

2) If #1 isn't true, check against common Japanese game themes, genres and what not. If I think it fits well enough, include it.

3) Is it low effort or from a horrible publisher/dev? Don't include it, they don't deserve it. I have a small mental shitlist of devs/publishers, such as SakuraGame.

4) Is it an RPGMaker game or a Free to Play game? Don't include it.

5) Is it indie? I give it a little more leeway if it is so that they get some recognition.

6) I don't bother with non-English releases anymore. It's to bothersome.

No matter what I choose to do, it's a no-win situation for me should there be any criticism. So long as people aren't rude about it, I don't really care either way and will add in whatever is requested. It's really easy to miss stuff too since I have no easy way of getting info on a game. Everything has to be manually checked one at a time. This includes genres too as it's often generic ones listed aren't really descriptive.

#24115 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11091 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:16 AM

Draekon, FYI, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle does have a demo, but its for PS4 and Switch. (Regardless, it was already out in JP/Asia regions just a couple days ago, and its in full English right off the bat, its just the US will have to wait for theirs on Tuesday and EU/PAL regions on 6/22 with included Multi-5 [EFIGS] translation).

Also, remember that both Blake (which is forever free) and the DLC Character Pack 1 is free for 2 weeks on PS4/Switch, and 1 month on Steam, the steam version will also include the digital OST (15 tracks) and the Artbook that's included in the various physical LE's across the world. However, it will no longer be offered until after July 6th on steam for the DLC 1 Pack and the Artbook/OST. (Note: You'll have to buy the game first on steam, obviously, to get said bonuses.)

Shoulda made all the Character Packs free for a week or 2 before charging. But thats just me

#24116 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8737 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:28 AM

Some weekly VN news:

Kuroinu Ch.3 was released by Mangagamer. Not my type of game.

Their next release is Evenicle, an RPG/VN game by Alicesoft. It looks pretty fun, and is set to release on June 28th, 2018. I will be getting it for sure.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Denpasoft announced a new title I WALK AMONG ZOMBIES. Looks unique at least.

VNDB (NSFW)

Sekai Project's Kickstarter My Girlfriend is a Mermaid is 100% funded. Going to be on PC and Switch.

Kickstarter

VNDB

#24117 NeoStrayCat   Cat Person! :3 CAGiversary!   851 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

NeoStrayCat

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:26 AM

Shoulda made all the Character Packs free for a week or 2 before charging. But thats just me

Yeah, yeah, but then again, what wouldn't be the point of the complete DLC character bundle then? (Even though the JP/Asia LE's do include a product code for that. Or Digital Deluxe editions. Or a Asia only Physical Deluxe edition on PS4. But I get what you mean.)

#24118 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11091 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:44 AM

Yeah, yeah, but then again, what wouldn't be the point of the complete DLC character bundle then? (Even though the JP/Asia LE's do include a product code for that. Or Digital Deluxe editions. Or a Asia only Physical Deluxe edition on PS4. But I get what you mean.)

The JPN LE has a DLC code for the Complete DLC Character Bundle and the NA one doesnt? Wow, wth

#24119 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4698 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:10 AM

Devil May Cry 5 domain registered (Resident Evil 2 domain updated + more)

New Gundam Breaker Shows Off Various Characters’ Customized Gunpla

1st 3 Final Fantasy Games Get Soundtrack Release on Blu-ray

Bullet Girls Phantasia Introduces The Game With D3 Publisher’s First Virtual YouTuber

Spoiler

Otome visual novels Sanzen Sekai Yuugi and Koshotengai no Hashihime coming to PS Vita

My Hero One’s Justice Gets Its First Screenshots For Himiko Toga And Dabi

#24120 unknownbrackets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

unknownbrackets

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:25 AM

No matter what I choose to do, it's a no-win situation for me should there be any criticism. So long as people aren't rude about it, I don't really care either way and will add in whatever is requested. It's really easy to miss stuff too since I have no easy way of getting info on a game. Everything has to be manually checked one at a time. This includes genres too as it's often generic ones listed aren't really descriptive.

Thank you for your posts in this topic.  I appreciate them, especially since genres as filters are so blurred these days.  Your best judgement seems to work very well from my perspective, if it matters from a lurker.

-[Unknown]