* * * * - 24 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#24991 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2624 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:56 AM

You know who Pichu is better than?  Waluigi.

Spoiler

#24992 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4695 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Trilogy of Vengeance by CyberConnect2 Gets Trailer; Coming for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC in 2019

Spoiler

New PS4 System Software Update 6.0 Incoming; Sony Starts Recruiting Beta Testers

Fate/Extella Link’s Latest DLC Costumes Include Tamamo, Scathach, Medusa, And Others

Spoiler

Trails of Cold Steel IV Shares A Glimpse Of Its Battles In A New Video Clip

Spoiler

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker ‘Base Battle’ trailer

Spoiler

SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy Features Trailer

Spoiler

New Team Sonic Racing Track Teased And Comic Announced

Mega Man Is Getting A Pachislot Game Called Rockman Ability With Brand-New Designs

#24993 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly is $19.99 “NEW” at GameStop

https://www.gamestop...utterfly/159808

Code: Realize - Future Blessing is $19.99 "NEW" at GameStop and Amazon (Prime Only)

https://www.gamestop...lessings/157980

https://www.amazon.c...ds=code realize

Code: Realize - Bouquet of Rainbows is $19.99 "NEW" at GameStop and Amazon (Prime Only)

https://www.gamestop...rainbows/157977

https://www.amazon.c...ds=code realize

#24994 Defvayne   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   58 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Defvayne

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

I Noticed Amazon had the Octopath Traveler CE in stock. It's been OOS for some time.

#24995 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4695 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists details exploration with legendary alchemists

Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Update 1.6.0 Adds Zelda BotW Kart and Outfit; Also offers Gameplay Improvements

Miyazaki Doesn’t Have Preferences Between New and Existing IPs, Says Sekiro Will Have Supernatural Elements

Sonic Mania Plus’ Second Developer Diary Video Focuses On Game Design

Phantasy Star Series Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary With A Smartphone RPG Countdown

New Mega Man 11 1080p Screenshots and Trailer Show New Boss Torch Man and New Stage

Soulcalibur VI adds Voldo

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux director on the remake, relation to main series, more

Nintendo on the possibility of a demo for Smash Bros. Ultimate and DLC

Disgaea 1 Complete – Flonne trailer

God Eater 3 for PS4 and PC Gets Plenty of New Gameplay Showing Characters in Action

Gal Gun 2 now available for PC via Steam

#24996 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7099 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

Not much talk about Octopath Traveler around here.   Personally, I'm loving it.   I've been playing it and reading about it constantly since last Friday.  One of the best games of the year and one of the better jrpgs of all-time.  It will be talked about for a long time. 

#24997 Thermopyle  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

Not much talk about Octopath Traveler around here.   Personally, I'm loving it.   I've been playing it and reading about it constantly since last Friday.  One of the best games of the year and one of the better jrpgs of all-time.  It will be talked about for a long time. 

It looks fantastic but I've also seen a number of screen shots showing some truly terrible dialogue.

#24998 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8727 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

No Switch for me....will get one the day SMT V comes out.

#24999 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5591 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

I'm not so big on it. The narrative is extremely disjointed and horribly paced. Outside of occasional optional dialogue scenes that require you to hit start to view them, there's no interaction between characters what so ever and I feel like there won't be any in the game at all at this point. The game can be rather grindy as well. If you have had Cyrus in your party early on or started with him, you likely are using his passive to lower random encounter rates as I felt they happened a bit too frequently. Since I kept my three initial characters in party since I knew what I wanted in my party, they're grossly higher level than everybody else. Due to this they were level 18 while everybody else was 8 to 10 when I finished. This was also because I grinded everybody to 8 before fighting the first chapter boss on character recruits 4-8 or they'd end up dying as I cycled out my fourth character. Chapter 2 is pretty much the same, three characters are relatively high while everybody else is pathetically low.

There's zero experience that funnels to characters when not in party, nor any catch-up mechanics to get them anywhere near the party leaders level which gives me zero incentive to use them except when necessary. Experience gained is on the lower end for the most part as well up until you fight in the higher level areas. You could rely on caits, but they're complete and utter RNG. Not to mention the second cait doesn't really give experience but instead JP. Hell, the caits in third tier areas only give 4x the experience of a normal battle whereas the ones in the first tier give more than ten times a normal amount. Though like I said before, they only appear if you're lucky. I've seen about ten encountered, half of which were from traveling to my second chapter 2 prior to me being able to combat them. So they've not really been helpful at all since most of the ones I killed were second tier caits that gave me JP that I don't really need.

The battle system itself is fine though and while it can keep me interested enough to play it, it's not enough for me to really enjoy the game when the other parts are pretty bad in my opinion. The aesthetics are also fine, but I'm still not a fan of the overused depth of field. At least I didn't run into any no opacity foreground bug like I did in the demo.

So I feel like they could easily do better if they gave an actual light linear central narrative that included all the characters and fixed the experience issue I have a problem with. Or hell, not allow chapter 2 for any character until all are included and have them appear in scenes along side the primary character for their chapter.

#25000 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

It looks fantastic but I've also seen a number of screen shots showing some truly terrible dialogue.

Yea the english translation is pretty awful. Sometimes I hear the Japanese voice and the translation are so far off, ridiculous.

Still amazing game tho.

#25001 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7099 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

I'm not so big on it. The narrative is extremely disjointed and horribly paced. Outside of occasional optional dialogue scenes that require you to hit start to view them, there's no interaction between characters what so ever and I feel like there won't be any in the game at all at this point. The game can be rather grindy as well. If you have had Cyrus in your party early on or started with him, you likely are using his passive to lower random encounter rates as I felt they happened a bit too frequently. Since I kept my three initial characters in party since I knew what I wanted in my party, they're grossly higher level than everybody else. Due to this they were level 18 while everybody else was 8 to 10 when I finished. This was also because I grinded everybody to 8 before fighting the first chapter boss on character recruits 4-8 or they'd end up dying as I cycled out my fourth character. Chapter 2 is pretty much the same, three characters are relatively high while everybody else is pathetically low.

There's zero experience that funnels to characters when not in party, nor any catch-up mechanics to get them anywhere near the party leaders level which gives me zero incentive to use them except when necessary. Experience gained is on the lower end for the most part as well up until you fight in the higher level areas. You could rely on caits, but they're complete and utter RNG. Not to mention the second cait doesn't really give experience but instead JP. Hell, the caits in third tier areas only give 4x the experience of a normal battle whereas the ones in the first tier give more than ten times a normal amount. Though like I said before, they only appear if you're lucky. I've seen about ten encountered, half of which were from traveling to my second chapter 2 prior to me being able to combat them. So they've not really been helpful at all since most of the ones I killed were second tier caits that gave me JP that I don't really need.

The battle system itself is fine though and while it can keep me interested enough to play it, it's not enough for me to really enjoy the game when the other parts are pretty bad in my opinion. The aesthetics are also fine, but I'm still not a fan of the overused depth of field. At least I didn't run into any no opacity foreground bug like I did in the demo.

So I feel like they could easily do better if they gave an actual light linear central narrative that included all the characters and fixed the experience issue I have a problem with. Or hell, not allow chapter 2 for any character until all are included and have them appear in scenes along side the primary character for their chapter.

Other people can't stand the text heaviness of the Trails games you're into.  Different strokes for different folks.   The battle system in Octopath Traveler is perfect, the art direction is excellent, and the soundtrack is top notch.   The freedom of design is what truly makes it top-tier though;  you can sneak into late game towns and steal powerful loot, or pick up only the characters you want for your party and play them in any order.  It's the perfect 16bit throwback JRPG.  It most closely correlates with the SaGa games and its somewhat similar to the Bravely Default games for those that are wondering. 

I've never been really impressed with the "teenagers band together to save the world from the big bad guy" stories anyways.  For me, the "story" is just a backdrop among those older games.  I've also spent very little time in battle with this game.  It only takes a few encounters to get to level 8.  One other cool thing is I killed a group of two caits, 4-point danced for 2x Exp, 5x exp, and 2x JP and went from levels 25 to 33 in a single battle.  That was a lot of fun lol!

I think it's apparent that many people struggle with the lack of structure that this game presents.  I think a lot of people prefer an on-rails linear experience where they are told exactly what to do and where to go. OT gives you tools to break the game instead.  It also presents some very challenging boss battles.  The subjob system is sublime.  I have so much fun mix and matching my different characters.  It reminds me of FF11, or FF5 but with subjobs.

But make no mistake, tons of people are playing Octopath Traveler and absolutely adoring everything it has to offer.   It's not for some folks and that's fine.   The game has also been selling out all across the world which has been a huge surprise to Square Enix.  Sales have been much higher than projected.   In all honesty, the game is everything I thought it would be and more.  It's exactly what I wanted in a new jrpg. 

definitely an 8.5 or 9 out of 10 from me, and still even better than the sum of its parts after that score. 

#25002 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5591 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

Other people can't stand the text heaviness of the Trails games you're into.  Different strokes for different folks.   The battle system in Octopath Traveler is perfect, the art direction is excellent, and the soundtrack is top notch.   The freedom of design is what truly makes it top-tier though;  you can sneak into late game towns and steal powerful loot, or pick up only the characters you want for your party and play them in any order.  It's the perfect 16bit throwback JRPG.  It most closely correlates with the SaGa games and its somewhat similar to the Bravely Default games for those that are wondering. 

I've never been really impressed with the "teenagers band together to save the world from the big bad guy" stories anyways.  For me, the "story" is just a backdrop among those older games.  I've also spent very little time in battle with this game.  It only takes a few encounters to get to level 8. 

I think it's apparent that many people struggle with the lack of structure that this game presents.  I think a lot of people prefer an on-rails linear experience where they are told exactly what to do and where to go. 

But make no mistake, tons of people are playing Octopath Traveler and absolutely adoring everything it has to offer.   It's not for some folks and that's fine.   The game has also been selling out all across the world which has been a huge surprise to Square Enix.  Sales have been much higher than projected.   In all honesty, the game is everything I thought it would be and more.  It's exactly what I wanted in a new jrpg. 

definitely an 8.5 or 9 out of 10 from me, and still even better than the sum of its parts after that score. 

Nah, I don't need text heavy games. Narrative doesn't even need to be much, it just needs to exist in correlation to what you're given. Let's take Olberic's Chapter 2 for example:

Spoiler

Hell, the non-linear RPGs usually feel better than this as characters are often represented in scenes, even if they don't do a damned thing narrative wise. Due to that the dissonance between the narrative and gameplay are fairly inconsequential just by being present. Besides Olberic's Chapter 2, Primrose's Chapter 1 was also pretty jarring when you have a full party. Especially when you do characters chapters after a full party and they say "Help me do X!" before they become your party member.

For the record, I'm also not a fan of teenagers saving the world. It's way overdone and I'm much more in favor of smaller scale themes. I'm just mostly tired of games that don't tie gameplay into narrative and I feel this game is one of the worst offenders. I don't need a heavy linear game or a ton of text, I just want a game that makes sense. Often not a whole lot is necessary to achieve that until you start going heavy into text everywhere at which point then you're forced to explain things. While I like CRPGs for example, they go a bit overboard with text that can make it a bit tedious to read.

As for the whole being able to go to places you shouldn't normally be able tor each to acquire items, I don't care one way or the other about it. Adding in a light conjoined narrative where all characters show wouldn't make the game any less linear than how it is now. I just want something that makes it feel like I'm traveling with a party, not traveling with a single character and a bunch of ghosts who haunt them that nobody knows exists or do anything but fight.

The most experience I got in battle from a Cait was 2600 experience from a Chubby Cait I accidently summoned while I was spamming Bewildering Grace that just happened to continually summon monsters to heal/buff the enemies. Only managed to get a 2x JP that battle despite using Bewildering Grace about 30 times or so. Otherwise I just gain 600-700 with the occasional 2x Exp and only hit 5x EXP in battles that don't matter. Never received a 100x even though I use the skill every single battle. I get JP bonuses all the god damned time though and I don't care about them.

#25003 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5591 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

Stardew Valley Multiplayer is releasing on August 1st on PC. No word yet on dates for consoles, but it shouldn't be too far behind. If I recall correctly, they said that the Switch will get the update before it hits other consoles though.

#25004 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   865 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

Nothing and Draekon arguing

Drie.gif

#25005 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4695 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

Resident Evil 2’s Claire Redfield, Box Art, Collector’s Edition, and More Revealed by Capcom

Spoiler

Bandai Namco Amusement Lab Inc. Established For VR, MR, And AR Arcade Game Development

Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate’s Trailer Shows The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Content

Code of Princess EX footage

#25006 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40019 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists details exploration with legendary alchemists

The most ambitious crossover ever

#25007 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5591 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

Spoiler

We were arguing? I just wanted to give some examples as to why I didn't like the narrative since he brought up Trails as he knows I often gush on the series with it being much more text heavy. It's all opinions anyways.

Though now that I've said that, I'm tempted to do a write-up for the full Trails series. It would definitely expand on the things I hate the series for. Granted I'd rather do it after I play Zero and Azure. That would be really long if I did that. It would probably be at least twice the size of my longest game write-up thus far, which I think was around 5,000 words. Which would in turn also mean that nobody would read it.

#25008 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7099 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:48 PM

we're not arguing dude lol

#25009 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   421 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

There is no grinding needed to finish everything expect the post-game dungeon. I was easily able to complete all chapters on all characters with Cyrus less-encounter passive on the whole time.

You can clear areas while being 5 to 10 levels under the Danger Level. Heck, I was able to get one of the 4 secret jobs (Danger Level 50) while my party was around lvl 44.

You might need to catch Haanit or Olberic up a little for them to provoke/challenge on their chapters, but they can still finish it underleveled.

#25010 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8727 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

I'm a week late on my usual VN news. First of all a few things were released.

Hapymaher (NSFW) from Mangagamer

Lynne (Free) from Sekai Project

Mangagamer's next release will be Sweet Switch about a guy with a scary look in his eyes and 2 girls who can't control themselves when stared at. It's cheap and i'm sure i'll get some enjoyment out of it.

I will be giving a Hapymaher a review/overview thing of sorts soon, as I've completed that one 100% already. 

#25011 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4270 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:25 AM

Drie.gif

mommy and daddy are fighting!

as for octopath alot of people are talking about it on the playthrough topic for rpgs everything else right now for those that want to read about it.  Most of them were playing it and shining resonance refrain but 2 of the regulars quit because they just didn't like it due to numerous reasons.  Namely the dumb ai.

#25012 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2772 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:27 AM

mommy and daddy are fighting!

6-P3P-00021.png

#25013 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1796 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:52 AM

Oh c'mon at least make an announcement or something. A tease on twitter would have been fine. Why are you just stealth releasing games without any marketing behind it?

I just bought Galgun 2 on PS4 a few weeks ago, but I guess I'm gonna double dip for the PC release.

The more I see of Nelke, the more it looks like a mobile game. That exploring and battle system look like mobage garbage. I'll still get it though.

Fanatical is having an Idea Factory flash sale this weekend. Every 4 hours, they're going to add another game to the sale. This is what's been revealed so far. Some of them at all time low prices. Each game remains on sale for only 24 hours!

Fairy Fencer F ADF $3.89

Cyberdimension Neptunia 4 Goddesses Online $15.99
Monster Monpiece Deluxe Bundle $2.69

Amnesia memories $2.99

Neptunia U $3.19

Trillion $3.59

Blanc vs Zombies $4.49

Neptunia Rebirth 1 $6.79

Neptunia VII $6.75

Moero Chronicle $2.99

Neptunia Rebirth 2 $7.19

Hyperdevotion Noire $4.99

Neptunia Rebirth 3 $7.39

Neptune vs Sega Hardgirls $9.69

While on the topic of Fanatical, Meltys Quest which is an RPG maker hentai game got listed there for the first time. Unlike some other HRPGs released on steam, this one has a proper translation. It is $11.99 which it has been at that price in the past so nothing special yet but good opportunity for it to go on more frequent sales or stack with the occassional 10% off coupon.

And while I was looking at hentai games on fanatical, I came across Maidens of a Hollow Dream.  It only has a minor discount $6.99(30% off) but I thought the trailer was funny. The game and trailer is very NSFW.

Additional HRPG(RPG maker Hentai games) news

The translator/publisher that released Fallen ~Makina and the city of Ruins~ just released his second game, Treasure Hunter Claire and it's on sale for $14.99(25% off) for the first week. He's also put Makina on sale for 35% off during this time. And even bigger news, he's announced 6 more games they plan to release before the end of 2018.

President Yukino

Phantom Thief Celianna

Seed of Evil

Slave's Sword

Leviathan ~A Survival RPG~

Reign of the Succubus

Announcing that many titles in such a short time span is gutsy. let's hope he doesn't go the way of Sekai Project and overburden himself with releases.

Additional HRPG that released recently or are releasing soon.

Mega Milk Story

Lilipalace

And now for something completely different. The Princess Maker games 1, 2, and 3 are on sale on steam at the lowest they've been yet. Get them in the bundle if you plan to get all 3.

Princess Maker 5 is also available on steam but at a lesser 10% discount. It also has pretty bad reviews so I'm not recommending that right now.

#25014 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8727 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the write up. I generally don't play hentai RPGMaker games. I know they're some good ones though. 

#25015 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5326 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

Stardew Valley Multiplayer is releasing on August 1st on PC. No word yet on dates for consoles, but it shouldn't be too far behind. If I recall correctly, they said that the Switch will get the update before it hits other consoles though.

I hope the Vita version will offer multiplayer.  I heard recently that the Vita version is compatible with the Playstation TV. 

I have both a Vita and a Playstation TV so it would be interesting to play couch coop.  Better yet if I don't need actual Wi-Fi, but that seems wishful.

#25016 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5591 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

I hope the Vita version will offer multiplayer.  I heard recently that the Vita version is compatible with the Playstation TV. 

I have both a Vita and a Playstation TV so it would be interesting to play couch coop.  Better yet if I don't need actual Wi-Fi, but that seems wishful.

The Vita version will not be receiving the multiplayer update, but should still have all the other content besides that. There's also no local multiplayer at all either, nor cross-play between platforms.

Vita version is cross-buy with the PS4, however there won't be cross-save.

#25017 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8727 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

I just finished Momoiro Closet from Frontwing, so here are my thoughts on it.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed Momoiro Closet and found a lot of good storytelling in it. The art was excellent and the characters were enjoyable. The eroge itself was also well done and logical. A good romp , although wait for a sale because of the short length. 8/10 and Nitro recommends!

#25018 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1796 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:21 PM

Tales of Berseria - $12.49 @ indiegala

Gamestop running an anime sale. But I don't see anything good.

#25019 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4695 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

God Eater 3 Introduces Some Of Its New Characters With A First Look At Their Rough Draft

Sonic Mania Lead Developer Christian Whitehead Talks About His Feelings On What Sonic Is

Dragon Ball FighterZ Gets First Screenshots For Base Goku And Base Vegeta

First screenshots of Kefla in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Daemon X Machina producer on the gameplay, graphics, world setting, more

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate dev on why the western release took so long

Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun English logo datamined

Digimon Survive official Japanese website opened

#25020 Tothoro  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:39 PM

Tales of Berseria - $12.49 @ indiegala

Gamestop running an anime sale. But I don't see anything good.

Ys VIII and Danganronpa V3 for the Vita are becoming increasingly hard to find at MSRP and both appear to be in-stock ("New"). Not phenomenal prices or anything, but maybe worth mentioning for any collectors out there.