* * * * - 27 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#27811 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9105 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

I will be looking forward to that. It looks a little rough in the video on the page, but i'll take an impression any day. Seems like the Best Buys around me don't have a lot of stock for the Youkai Watch 3...and none for Etrian Odyssey (i guess one will get 1 copy since i'm returning one of mine heh). Not sure I want Youkai Watch 3 yet since i'm still going through 2.

#27812 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9105 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

Weekly VN news:

Sol Press has put up a Kickstarter for Irotoridori no Sekai by Favorite. This company also released the very good Hoshizora no Memoria. This has physical copies and items, but also is just for the localization. The goal is a pretty hefty $85,000, so it needs all the help it can get. There is stretch goals for the other 2 games in the series, but it needs to get closer to funding before that pipe dream becomes a reality.

Kickstarter Link

VNDB Link (NSFW)

Prison Battleship 3 from Anime Lilith was translated by RunQ. This has a mother and daughter team acting headstrong by day on a ship, while at night they are brainwashed and put to perform many tasks by a guy trying to get revenge. This is not my type of eroge, but I know someone will like it out there.

VNDB Link (NSFW)

#27813 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   535 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

Here's my twitch prime code for final fantasy xiv. Enjoy

R4WU ZQ7C 36ZG RFE9 S3DB

#27814 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:25 PM

The Final Fantasy XIV Twitch Prime code is the starter edition for the game. It gives you the base game (up to level 50) and gives you thirty days of free game time. I do not believe it includes either the Heavensword or Stormblood expansions. Here's a second code for anybody interested:

R4WU H2JJ 64ZN DAM5 DB24

EDIT: The codes are for the PC version.

#27815 denpanosekai  

denpanosekai

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:13 PM

I'm guessing these are not codes for PS4?

#27816 Tony Da Tiger   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   154 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Tony Da Tiger

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

I'll add my FF XIV code as well:

R4WU BJM5 392Y YEX9 MWU3

I'm guessing these are not codes for PS4?

Nope, they are for the PC version.

#27817 nagpo  

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:49 PM

This is somewhat on topic, For those Ni No Kuni fans out there, they just announced and anime film to be released this summer. It's not animated by Ghibli but it does have some Ghibli staff.

#27818 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1883 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

Is this any good? tempted to check it out

I will be looking forward to that. It looks a little rough in the video on the page, but i'll take an impression any day. Seems like the Best Buys around me don't have a lot of stock for the Youkai Watch 3...and none for Etrian Odyssey (i guess one will get 1 copy since i'm returning one of mine heh). Not sure I want Youkai Watch 3 yet since i'm still going through 2.

Played about an hour and a half.

The story is silly nonsense but the characters are kind of cute. There's a decent amount of dialogue between the characters so you feel like you get to know them.

The gameplay is not the smoothest side scroller I've played, but it's not terribly janky either. It's good enough. You always have a sword, rifle and launcher type weapon. You can switch between them with the direction buttons on a controller. You can dodge, if you do a perfect dodge it does a bullet time thing.

There's a decent variety of weapons I've seen so far. A few different sword types(katana, rapier, greatsword) with different attack styles. For guns, so far I've seen assault rifles, sniper rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher, rocket launcher. There's a limited amount of ammo and weapon durability but it gets refilled whenever you reach a save point. Also it's kind of hard to aim the guns with the right thumbstick but it does have a bit of an autolockon.

It's quite heavy on loot collection. You'll pick up a lot of the same weapon but with different abilities attached.

The best part of the game imo is the UI. There's a lot of neat touches like the skill screen is the main character checking things off on a chalkboard. Little bits of animation here and there. Even the loading screens are stylish.

I think it's a good buy for $12. It still has a bit of that unpolished indie feel to it. But I've played worse and this has a good concept. Plus points if you like metroidvania and loot collecting.

#27819 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4222 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:40 AM

Prison Battleship 3

Are we actually bringing up hardcore rape eroge here these days? I mean, I don’t judge what people are into, but is this really the right venue?

#27820 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2146 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:01 AM

yes.

#27821 tsoul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   426 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Are we actually bringing up hardcore rape eroge here these days? I mean, I don’t judge what people are into, but is this really the right venue?

I enjoyed Euphoria quite a bit and haven't found anything else like it to fill that itch since.

#27822 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1883 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

Hey, I'm happy nitrosmob mentioned it here. I didn't know someone was translating it.

#27823 elessar123  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

While I don't play them, you can't argue it doesn't fit being a "Japanese niche game."

#27824 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7857 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:35 PM

If I told you what I was into, you would definitely judge me. 

#27825 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:16 AM

Are you into Judges, wearing nothing under those long black robes.

#27826 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2970 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:25 AM

Are you like me? And secretly love Zac Efron comedies? 

#27827 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11647 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:27 AM

Has anyone received the $10 bonus from amazon for preordering KH3? I know the terms said 65 days or something but wanted check

I preordered mine back during 2015 Price Mistake. Did a Live Chat with an Amazon Rep and they gave me credit

#27828 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3551 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:59 AM

Are you like me? And secretly love Zac Efron comedies? 

...I thought I was the only one! Wanna do a naked binge watch?

#27829 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2884 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:02 AM

Wanna do a naked binge watch?

Is there any other kind?!

#27830 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3551 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:26 AM

Is there any other kind?!

Not for the free.

#27831 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:15 AM

From the Persona Endless Night bundle I've played the Persona 5 and Persona 4 games. At first I was thinking Persona 5's was kind of dull, but I was playing on normal difficulty. After switching to hard and putting note speed to fast as possible I got more into it. It even made the songs more enjoyable.

The actual story for the story mode in Persona 4 isn't horrible, it's just there is so much story in between songs. If you feel like playing some songs story mode is kind of rough because you don't get to do that that much. I guess I could just skip all the story segments, but some of the interactions have been fun. I'll go through it again.

I haven't played Persona 3's game yet, but after seeing some of Persona 5's story it seems like it would be good to go back and forth between the two. A nice thing about having them digital is I can switch between all three pretty quickly.

I'll hold off on buying dlc until PSN does another 20%. Especially since I'll probably re-buy all the Persona 4 dlc I bought. Although, since there are dlc bundles it's possible those will go on sale someday. For Persona 5 and 3, at least.

#27832 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

From the Persona Endless Night bundle I've played the Persona 5 and Persona 4 games. At first I was thinking Persona 5's was kind of dull, but I was playing on normal difficulty. After switching to hard and putting note speed to fast as possible I got more into it. It even made the songs more enjoyable.

The actual story for the story mode in Persona 4 isn't horrible, it's just there is so much story in between songs. If you feel like playing some songs story mode is kind of rough because you don't get to do that that much. I guess I could just skip all the story segments, but some of the interactions have been fun. I'll go through it again.

I haven't played Persona 3's game yet, but after seeing some of Persona 5's story it seems like it would be good to go back and forth between the two. A nice thing about having them digital is I can switch between all three pretty quickly.

I'll hold off on buying dlc until PSN does another 20%. Especially since I'll probably re-buy all the Persona 4 dlc I bought. Although, since there are dlc bundles it's possible those will go on sale someday. For Persona 5 and 3, at least.

Thanks for the review. I have yet to buy this as I'm hoping it will go lower soon so I can use my GCU on top of a cert but I can't justify buying it right now at its current price.

#27833 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   1128 Posts   Joined 0.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:50 PM

I'm a bit late to the Dragon Quest series, but I just started DQ11 last week to have something calm to play after Resident Evil 2 in the evening, and it turned out to be perfect for that.

I remember seeing DQ11 is coming to switch but I can't find any new information on this. I'd rather play it on Switch since I'm mostly on the go, but I am too interested now to stop for too long. Is there an expected timeline?

#27834 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36892 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:01 PM

I'm a bit late to the Dragon Quest series, but I just started DQ11 last week to have something calm to play after Resident Evil 2 in the evening, and it turned out to be perfect for that.

I remember seeing DQ11 is coming to switch but I can't find any new information on this. I'd rather play it on Switch since I'm mostly on the go, but I am too interested now to stop for too long. Is there an expected timeline?

It's expected to release in Japan later this year, but there hasn't been any announcement of a US localization: https://gematsu.com/...-teaser-trailer [WARNING: There are some spoilers in the article, sandwiched between red text.]

#27835 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   721 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:07 PM

Persona Dancing 3 and 5 really don't have much of a story. Elizabeth and Justine/Caroline get into an argument over who can dance better after the events of Persona 4 Dancing and pull each team out of a dream. Little social events occur after a certain number of actions are performed but overall it's just banter they forget like the Persona Q stuff.

#27836 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36892 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Persona Dancing 3 and 5 really don't have much of a story. Elizabeth and Justine/Caroline get into an argument over who can dance better after the events of Persona 4 Dancing and pull each team out of a dream. Little social events occur after a certain number of actions are performed but overall it's just banter they forget like the Persona Q stuff.

It's mildly interesting to note when each game takes place with regards to their individual games' plotlines:

Spoiler

#27837 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   1128 Posts   Joined 0.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:26 PM

It's expected to release in Japan later this year, but there hasn't been any announcement of a US localization

Awesome thanks. I think I'll probably be done with it before it releases on switch in the US

#27838 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

I thought Persona 3 FES was the main game?

#27839 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4802 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

I thought Persona 3 FES was the main game?

I think he was trying to differentiate 'The Question' from 'The Answer' and it was just a matter of unclear phrasing. 

#27840 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36892 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

I think he was trying to differentiate 'The Question' from 'The Answer' and it was just a matter of unclear phrasing. 

Yeah, sorry about that. I consider "The Answer" an epilogue of sorts.