* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#29671 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9156 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:24 PM

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore coming to the Switch on January 17, 2020. 

Tokyo-Mirage-Sessions-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

#29672 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2810 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:28 PM

I think the last time I touched a WiiU was to play through that game.  Glad it's getting released on switch.  I enjoyed it enough to throw more money at it.

#29673 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2950 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore coming to the Switch on January 17, 2020.

Tokyo-Mirage-Sessions-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Curious to see if this is a straight port or if Nintendo and Atlus add anything. Given how poorly it was received, I'd be surprised if either puts a significant amount of work into it.

Will also be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the "adjustments" it made when it brought the game over to the West. That conversation unfortunately, like it has with select games with Sony, took over a large part of the dialogue on thaf game when it last released on the WiiU. Given the environment, I would think Nintendo tries to quietly port the adjusted version rather than the straight Japanese version.

It's one thing for third parties but I don't see Nintendo putting back in the removed Japanese gameplay.

#29674 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11868 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:48 PM

Curious to see if this is a straight port or if Nintendo and Atlus add anything. Given how poorly it was received, I'd be surprised if either puts a significant amount of work into it.

Will also be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the "adjustments" it made when it brought the game over to the West. That conversation unfortunately, like it has with select games with Sony, took over a large part of the dialogue on thaf game when it last released on the WiiU. Given the environment, I would think Nintendo tries to quietly port the adjusted version rather than the straight Japanese version.

It's one thing for third parties but I don't see Nintendo putting back in the removed Japanese gameplay.

Did you not watch the tidbit? They're adding new characters

#29675 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2950 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:01 PM

Didn't watch it. Switch hasn't interested me that much, and that's coming from someone who liked the Wii U, at least more than Wii. Still love the Gamecube more. Anyways, thanks.

Still curious to see how/if Nintendo handles the more sensitive changes it made since the Internet nowadays love to make mountains out of ant hills.

#29676 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1378 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:26 PM

Also a new song and some story content =)

Hopefully it's uncensored this time (though the trailer seemed to show that wasn't true as that boss still seemed to be censored) and if it isn't, hopefully the Japanese release isn't and is import friendly

#29677 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:46 PM

Really glad TME is coming back, but seeing Xenoblade HD was one of the biggest things for me. Looks like they're keeping the pretty boy anime look from the XC2 expansion, but I'm just really looking forward to playing through the game again. 

Can't imagine what the Smash character select screen is gonna look like by this time next year. 

#29678 SolidSnake86   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1461 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

SolidSnake86

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

Best Buy put several Bandai Namco games on sale today for PS4 only (so far):

My Hero: One's Justice - $19.99

Definitely tempted to pick up My Hero at that price.

#29679 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9156 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:00 AM

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition Announced for Switch

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition Announced on Switch, Coming 2020

Xenoblade-Chronicles-Definitive-Edition-

#29680 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9156 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:24 AM

It's really nice to see Switch cashing in on all the previous gen JRPGs, retro and indie game collections, rebuilds, and remakes.  Usually I roll my eyes at all of the old stuff that comes out on the recent Nintendo system years after the fact.  It used to be stuff that nobody cares about anymore.  But they've done a good job relaunching old games and recent IPs that people want to play and own.  Like the Collection of Mana for instance.  The system is becoming a jrpg bastion.  What's old is new again.   Plus they've never been more convenient to play. 

#29681 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2950 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:49 AM

It's really nice to see Switch cashing in on all the previous gen JRPGs, retro and indie game collections, rebuilds, and remakes.  Usually I roll my eyes at all of the old stuff that comes out on the recent Nintendo system years after the fact.  It used to be stuff that nobody cares about anymore.  But they've done a good job relaunching old games and recent IPs that people want to play and own.  Like the Collection of Mana for instance.  The system is becoming a jrpg bastion.  What's old is new again.   Plus they've never been more convenient to play. 

While that works for some, that's been the very reason for my disinterest in the Switch. More power to those who enjoy replaying old games, but for me, I've already experienced or own these games so none of these so-called announcements carry much excitement.

I like Nintendo but even I find all this exuberant Ninty love over super old games and ports strange. The mobile ability is nice, but that seems hardly a reason for all the hoopla over either ports or mildly enhanced editions that feature some extra characters and side quests.

Again, different strokes for different folks. Only Switch game that's really excited me thus far is Astral Chain; I'm sure I'll be impressed with Bayonetta 3 and curious about No More Heroes 3. After that, I need about ~20 or so more Switch titles to get me to buy one. Should be just in time for Nintendo to iron out everything and deliver a Switch Pro.

#29682 bigstew  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:51 AM

one of the worst unbalanced/heavy grinders for that console, another example of the cheapness of nintendo to refuse fixing obvious problems with games and releasing and somewhat fixed version for their next low grad console...i wish companies would stand up to nintendo pay for updates policy and actually fix games, well the will remaster/not new version for their next out dated console is an incentive for companies to screw over fans and wait for suckers

#29683 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:00 AM

After that, I need about ~20 or so more Switch titles to get me to buy one. Should be just in time for Nintendo to iron out everything and deliver a Switch Pro.

I've had my PS4 since about 2014, and I don't think I own more than 10 games for that thing. 

#29684 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2950 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:27 AM

I've had my PS4 since about 2014, and I don't think I own more than 10 games for that thing. 

Again, different strokes for different folks. This is why I don't buy a system unless there are 25 games I want to buy for it.

#29685 G_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2535 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:48 AM

I'm glad for all the exclusives escaping wiiu prison and getting ported onto switch where a larger audience can experience them finally.

#29686 ar4757   Makoto x Joker is canon CAGiversary!   968 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:45 AM

I'm glad for all the exclusives escaping wiiu prison and getting ported onto switch where a larger audience can experience them finally.

The only ones left for me are the Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters

#29687 inverted_fray  

inverted_fray

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:25 AM

Am I the only one that didn't know Square Enix was physically releasing Dragon Quest X on PS4 and Switch for an October release in Japan?

http://www.cdjapan.c...duct/PLJM-16468

Shame they didn't find a way to make an offline/single player mode.

#29688 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11868 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:29 AM

Im glad TMS is just getting another shot.

#29689 G_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2535 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:36 AM

The only ones left for me are the Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters

I'm still hoping for Fatal Frame 4.

#29690 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1378 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:36 AM

I'm still hoping for Fatal Frame 4.

I'm hoping for Xenoblade Chronicles X. Hopefully when Xenoblade 1 comes over it will do well enough for that.

#29691 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10119 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:31 AM

I myself also want Super Mario 3D World.

#29692 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5589 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

While that works for some, that's been the very reason for my disinterest in the Switch. More power to those who enjoy replaying old games, but for me, I've already experienced or own these games so none of these so-called announcements carry much excitement.

I like Nintendo but even I find all this exuberant Ninty love over super old games and ports strange. The mobile ability is nice, but that seems hardly a reason for all the hoopla over either ports or mildly enhanced editions that feature some extra characters and side quests.

Again, different strokes for different folks. Only Switch game that's really excited me thus far is Astral Chain; I'm sure I'll be impressed with Bayonetta 3 and curious about No More Heroes 3. After that, I need about ~20 or so more Switch titles to get me to buy one. Should be just in time for Nintendo to iron out everything and deliver a Switch Pro.

I agree on that.  Typically I don't pick up a system until it has enough titles I want.  Usually 10 is the lowest I will go.  I do make exceptions when I find discounts for them though or they have a big title I want like the switch did with fire emblem, smash and pokemon.  Whole reason I bought a wiiu and switch were due to the smash bundles newegg did both times.  I do try to avoid jumping to newer systems and instead work on my backlog these days.  Especially since I have stuff like legend of dragoon I am playing for the first time and that game is older than some of the posters here...

#29693 NeoMonk  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:55 AM

New playable characters, new story components, new dungeon is all we know so far. 

As for the Switch discussion, to me the Switch has taken all the traditional Nintendo IPs from their console/handheld and merged them into 1 system. Adding on top 90% of the usual series you would have found on the VITA and about 70% of anything you find on PS4/XB1.

It's never going to be the most optimal way to play a game if you care about graphics but seeing as I'm mostly a handheld gamer, that's never really been my concern. The switch is flooding with good games to play new/old/ports/indies the works. 

#29694 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37701 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

Amazon has listings for Trials of Mana at $49.99:

PS4: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07X8Z27L7/

Switch: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07XC3JQJM/

I doubt there was any cause to worry, but I'm glad we're getting physical versions of both.

#29695 NeoMonk  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

#29696 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3308 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:56 PM

I agree on that.  Typically I don't pick up a system until it has enough titles I want.  Usually 10 is the lowest I will go. I do make exceptions when I find discounts for them though or they have a big title I want like the switch did with fire emblem, smash and pokemon.

I need maybe 1 game that I want to play more than anything that I'm super hyped for.  That will set me up to enjoy the system overall even if the library isn't huge or the system is too young to know how it'll be.   But I've got to be convinced the game is something I will love.  If I get a system without that one game, usually I never find anything special enough to keep the system around for the long haul.  Sure I'll still have fun but systems like the Vita, which I've had plenty of fun with, I can't name a single game where I'd be all over wanting to play it again in the future on Vita.  I only bought my first vita (the PSTV) because of a flash sale on Amazon made it SUPER cheap and I figured worst case it was another PS3 controller.

For me Zelda BotW made the switch purchase worth it.  I was mega hyped for it and it paid off.  I love that game more than any other Zelda title because I'm a huge fan of game worlds that let you explore and do things at your own pace and reward creativity (and this game allows a lot of creative problem solving).   Super Mario Odyssey was easily the best Mario game I've played since Mario Sunshine and is probably my favorite Mario game of them all... though I'm not a fan of the ending.   Xenoblade Chronicles 2 ended up battling it out with Dragon Quest, a series full of games, as my favorite RPG series (DQ still reigns supreme but XC2 is something I just LOVE).   Three of the best games I've ever played... I feel like the Switch has already fully delivered enough to make it worth it.  I also loved Cat Quest as more of a casual kind of experience that had some great humor and surprising depth of combat and while I could have played it elsewhere, I made use of the hybrid system with that game.  Same with Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 and soon enough DQ XI-S.

I can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.  I didn't get it on Wii.  I never really loved the Wii or wanted it but got it because of my kids.  I have a hard time going back to the Wii (or even GC, which I'm a huge fan of) as the graphics in many of the games haven't held up well after getting spoiled by modern systems with HDMI and higher resolutions and framerates.   So it's going to be great getting that masterpiece on an HD system.  I did get the N3DS port, but it's not as pretty and I'm finding it harder to enjoy handheld gaming as my eyes aren't getting any younger.

#29697 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2810 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

as the graphics in many of the games haven't held up well after getting spoiled by modern systems with HDMI and higher resolutions and framerates.  

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.  For instance, this statement pretty much sums up why I have a hard time enjoying the world of XC2.  I feel like the game is badly hurt by poor performance and graphics quality.  Odyssey is the only NS game that I felt was really pulled off well in that regard.  Sadly it seems they aren't willing to share that measure of optimization and polish across the board.

#29698 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2870 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

It's really nice to see Switch cashing in on all the previous gen JRPGs, retro and indie game collections, rebuilds, and remakes. ...Plus they've never been more convenient to play. 

This is why Nintendo is getting away this strategy, while in the past they weren't able to capitalize it to the same degree.

The portability of the Switch confers utility to games that did not previously enjoy such utility. A game like Skyrim can now be played anywhere, not just on a computer monitor or television screen. The indie games you enjoyed on your PC can now be taken on the go. The hits and even the moderate success stories of years past gain new appeal when they are ported to a mobile platform.

The Wii U also saw several re-releases and ports in its first year. But it DIDN'T benefit much from them. Aside from its touchscreen, which was minimally used, it didn't really add anything new to those old games. Most users didn't see any real benefit from picking up the Wii U versions. The selling point of the Switch is much easier to understand, and much more desirable. A lot of people like taking their games with them.

It is also a big draw for developers. (and publishers) Who doesn't like being able to sell their old content multiple times?

#29699 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3308 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.  For instance, this statement pretty much sums up why I have a hard time enjoying the world of XC2.  I feel like the game is badly hurt by poor performance and graphics quality.  Odyssey is the only NS game that I felt was really pulled off well in that regard.  Sadly it seems they aren't willing to share that measure of optimization and polish across the board.

Interesting.  I thought the game world of XC2 was Stunning.  Of course I turned the Color to Full range on my Switch which most people don't seem to know about.  It made a Zelda BotW and XC2 look even better since my tv supported it.  I'm not sure why they default that to limited.  Of course geometry had limits up close, but the screenshots I took of those games... just ... very nice.   Just thinking about it has me ready to go back and play some more XC2!

Granted I'm sure when ever I jump to a 144hz monitor and start jumping to 2K and 4K... it may make stuff like this seem lesser.  But, I still go back and watch DVD's in 480p and think it looks fine.  It's really just the interlaced video that does me in... much like trying to replay old FPS's from when raycasting was hot tech.  Those games usually hurt my brain.

#29700 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

Interesting.  I thought the game world of XC2 was Stunning.  Of course I turned the Color to Full range on my Switch which most people don't seem to know about.  It made a Zelda BotW and XC2 look even better since my tv supported it.  I'm not sure why they default that to limited.  Of course geometry had limits up close, but the screenshots I took of those games... just ... very nice.   Just thinking about it has me ready to go back and play some more XC2!

Granted I'm sure when ever I jump to a 144hz monitor and start jumping to 2K and 4K... it may make stuff like this seem lesser.  But, I still go back and watch DVD's in 480p and think it looks fine.  It's really just the interlaced video that does me in... much like trying to replay old FPS's from when raycasting was hot tech.  Those games usually hurt my brain.

I think this largely comes down to a matter of art direction/style vs actual graphical fidelity. XB2 has a wonderful world, excellent designs, and it's all very colorful and pleasing. It also runs at a very low resolution (laughably so in handheld mode), has crazy pop-in, is aliased to Fuck, and fails to maintain even its target of 30fps--which is already less than pleasant. So it somehow manages to be visually appealing and appalling all at once!