* * * * - 29 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#29851 elessar123  

Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

You are the first person to say anything positive about that game from 999s creator that I have read. People have been pretty mixed at best about it since it's too similar to the other games and he has another one coming out I saw.

I haven't played much since the physical version just came out yesterday. But it's ok so far. Extremely, extremely cliché setting and dialogs though.

#29852 Batto47  

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:11 PM

You are the first person to say anything positive about that game from 999s creator that I have read. People have been pretty mixed at best about it since it's too similar to the other games and he has another one coming out I saw.

It probably has to do with the types of games you like/people you follow. Out of 25-ish reviews I’ve seen, 23 were extremely positive and two were mixed.

#29853 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3870 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:44 AM

It probably has to do with the types of games you like/people you follow. Out of 25-ish reviews I’ve seen, 23 were extremely positive and two were mixed.

999 and VLR are two of my all-time favorite gaming experiences, but ZTD was a gross embarrassment of a finale. It's gonna be hard for me to give him another shot. 

#29854 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10124 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

Many English Localized VNs are out soon or out already. I'll give a rundown on Friday. Lots of good stuff! Been busy.

#29855 Batto47  

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

999 and VLR are two of my all-time favorite gaming experiences, but ZTD was a gross embarrassment of a finale. It's gonna be hard for me to give him another shot.

Yeah I know the ZTD audience was pretty mixed with how it wrapped up. I personally didn’t have an issue with it, but I’m super easy to please. I was also happy that I got three free ZTD watches with that preorder “credit” that wasn’t supposed to work on multiple watch orders.

#29856 elessar123  

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:00 PM

I got 9 of them, cause they kept dropping the price.

Enough for my own nonary games.

#29857 motaku96   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1965 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:48 PM

Fanatical has the Arc System Works Bundle 2 for $5.

Contains:

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R

Guilty Gear 2 Overture

Battle Fantasia

Of Mice and Sand Revised

Double Dragon IV

#29858 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5140 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:34 AM

Fanatical has the Arc System Works Bundle 2 for $5.
Contains:
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
Guilty Gear 2 Overture
Battle Fantasia
Of Mice and Sand Revised
Double Dragon IV

Anyone know how the Battle Fantasia PC port is?

#29859 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5601 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:02 AM

It says remaster or something like that in the descrip so I don't know how many differences there would be between them.

#29860 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9165 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

Woo-hoo, this is what I've been waiting for!  So now that there is a BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle [Special Edition] (Multi-Language) coming out on Nov 21, that means we'll probably have another NA version get announced too, ya?  I've been waiting for an all-inclusive version with all of the character DLCs and this version seems to include additional character packs vol.1-vol.7. 

Spoiler

#29861 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9165 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

Also I just want to say that it's amazing that no one has come up with a solid Fate fighting game yet.   There is so much untapped potential there.  Can you imagine how popular a solid fighting game, or a really good jrpg, in the Fate universe would be? 

#29862 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   938 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:04 PM

If you want Atelier Ryza on Steam super cheap, go with the Greenmangaming deal. The Digital Deluxe version is the same price as the standard edition on other stores if you have VIP status.

#29863 987654321.   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   292 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:06 PM

#29864 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11868 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:12 PM

Also I just want to say that it's amazing that no one has come up with a solid Fate fighting game yet.   There is so much untapped potential there.  Can you imagine how popular a solid fighting game, or a really good jrpg, in the Fate universe would be? 

There is, just not on modern consoles. And then there is Melty Blood as well

#29865 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9165 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

ok, but I meant something modern, and domestic. =P

I'm thinking of how perfectly someone could develop an amazing non-canon Fate universe JRPG. This kind of stuff always becomes relegated to low-effort Bamco releases.  But the entire blueprint is right there.  A top notch rpg developer could run with it and make something amazing. Fate fandom is huge now. 

#29866 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   1122 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:36 PM

ok, but I meant something modern, and domestic. =P

I'm thinking of how perfectly someone could develop an amazing non-canon Fate universe JRPG. This kind of stuff always becomes relegated to low-effort Bamco releases.  But the entire blueprint is right there.  A top notch rpg developer could run with it and make something amazing. Fate fandom is huge now. 

Fate + Arc System Works would be visually stunning.

#29867 nagpo  

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:27 PM

Anybody else get Dragon quest 11 s today?

#29868 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10124 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:03 AM

Yes DQ games are neat and I didn't play the PS4 one so now time to play it portably likely.

#29869 DarthPwner  

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:23 AM

I bought it. I'm a huge series fan, but honestly... I just beat trails in the sky fc AND sc straight back to back, so I am good on JRPGs for a while. Prob come back to it after Christmas.

#29870 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1627 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

I bought it. I'm a huge series fan, but honestly... I just beat trails in the sky fc AND sc straight back to back, so I am good on JRPGs for a while. Prob come back to it after Christmas.

I am done with JRPGs for a bit as well unless I decide to do Parasite Eve or Sweet Home for Spooptober but they aren't the standard fare.

Just played DQ11 enough to check out the 2D mode and put it aside.

#29871 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13187 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:07 AM

I ordered it at BB and will pick it up tomorrow, but I don't think I'll have any time to play it for a while.  Honestly I'm really looking forward trying it in 16 bit mode, perhaps for the whole game.

#29872 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

I’m still playing three houses, so I decided to wait before getting it.

#29873 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3318 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

I preordered it from Amazon when I noticed the listing go live. It’s out for delivery now so I should have it in an hour or two. I haven’t been playing games much lately but plan to start the game this weekend. DQ is one of my favorite series of all time.

#29874 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

I'm going to grab it for the 16 bit mode, and because I'm a collector (read as idiot). But 4k 60fps is how I want to play the long awaited next console DQ game. So I'm waiting for a while and hoping that the new content comes to the PC version. There's already a mod to replace the soundtrack with the orchestral version--just need that new content!

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

#29875 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2815 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

So I'm waiting for a while and hoping that the new content comes to the PC version. 

Same.  While I really enjoyed my time with the game a year ago, I'm a bit annoyed at this "definitive" release.  I'll feel the same way about P5 Royal if they don't offer a dlc option to existing owners.

Skipping it for now.  Decided I'd rather replay Trials of Mana (SD3).  Also have AI: Somnium Files to keep me busy until ToCSIII release.  That'll last me until BF sales.

#29876 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1627 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

Same.  While I really enjoyed my time with the game a year ago, I'm a bit annoyed at this "definitive" release.  I'll feel the same way about P5 Royal if they don't offer a dlc option to existing owners.

Skipping it for now.  Decided I'd rather replay Trials of Mana (SD3).  Also have AI: Somnium Files to keep me busy until ToCSIII release.  That'll last me until BF sales.

Since this version is published by Nintendo it probably won't get any significant BF deals.

#29877 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9165 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:34 PM

Dragon Quest 11 was my favorite game of 2018.  It was a blast.  I put like 130 hours into it, got the full experience, and don't feel like I missed out on anything.   It's nice that they added more stuff for new players.  I have a buddy who has been excited about playing it on his Switch for many months.  So it's cool to have some reinvigorated  hype for one of last year's best games.  The only thing that's weird to me is how many people in here skipped over DQ11 or didn't play it.  I thought the series was way more popular and that more people would be dying to play it on day1.  All of the posts in here since it released (and lack there of) have been very revealing. 

I sincerely hope we get more games almost identical to the DQ11 formula in the future.  For me, it was a perfect classic JRPG.  I can only hope that it was viewed as a large commercial success. 

#29878 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1627 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:02 AM

Dragon Quest 11 was my favorite game of 2018.  It was a blast.  I put like 130 hours into it, got the full experience, and don't feel like I missed out on anything.   It's nice that they added more stuff for new players.  I have a buddy who has been excited about playing it on his Switch for many months.  So it's cool to have some reinvigorated  hype for one of last year's best games.  The only thing that's weird to me is how many people in here skipped over DQ11 or didn't play it.  I though the series was way more popular and that more people would be dying to play it on day1.  All of the posts in here since it released (and lack there of) have been very revealing. 

I sincerely hope we get more games almost identical to the DQ11 formula in the future.  For me, it was a perfect classic JRPG.  I can only hope that it was viewed as a large commercial success. 

It's more the timing of the release for me. I'm a Halloween fanatic so I plan to play spoopy games in October. I played about 30 hours of DQ11 on PS4 and liked it alot, but since I was less than half way through the game I decided to stop and wait for the Switch version when it got announced. The 2D mode especially had me thinking I'd rather be patient and play that version.

#29879 nagpo  

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:06 AM

Dragon Quest 11 was my favorite game of 2018.  It was a blast.  I put like 130 hours into it, got the full experience, and don't feel like I missed out on anything.   It's nice that they added more stuff for new players.  I have a buddy who has been excited about playing it on his Switch for many months.  So it's cool to have some reinvigorated  hype for one of last year's best games.  The only thing that's weird to me is how many people in here skipped over DQ11 or didn't play it.  I though the series was way more popular and that more people would be dying to play it on day1.  All of the posts in here since it released (and lack there of) have been very revealing. 

I actually have DQ 4-9 and 11. I bought 11 originally for the ps4 when it came out but never played it. And then the switch version was shown to have more content and so I sold my ps4 version for the switch version, which I'm playing right now and it's fantastic. I'm getting that comfy DQ feeling again.

I think you perhaps overestimated the popularity of the series, it's never been a hit in the west. I think it just has a small but very vocal online fanbase. I also think that most DQ fans in the west are probably prone to having nintendo systems, so that may have been the reason why the ps4 version of 11 didn't sell that well (as well as the issue with the music).

This switch version really fixes and addresses every issue with the original version and on top of that, it adds content as well as portability and a 2d mode. I think this one might actually crack a million in the west, but we'll see how that trajectory is in a few days.

My only issue with this switch version is the presentation hit; it's quite significant. The extremely low resolution and poor frame rate take a bit of getting used too. But I've pretty much gotten over it. It looks like a ps3 game, graphically.

I hope we get more games like this as well, so I'm hoping if this game sells well enough they'll finally bring over the Switch version of DQ10 they keep teasing us with. That's the only game that would actually get me to buy nintendo's crappy online service.

BTW, the physical version of the switch 1,2,3 DQ games is coming out soon in asia. I want to own all the games in english. Does anybody have those playasia 5% off discount codes anymore? Or did they stop doing that?

#29880 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9165 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:17 AM

I think you perhaps overestimated the popularity of the series, it's never been a hit in the west. I think it just has a small but very vocal online fanbase. I also think that most DQ fans in the west are probably prone to having nintendo systems, so that may have been the reason why the ps4 version of 11 didn't sell that well (as well as the issue with the music).

No, what I overestimated was fandom in the JP niche thread.  I thought DQ11 would be a landmark, seminal game release that defined the PS4 generation for people in here.  It was not. 

BTW, the physical version of the switch 1,2,3 DQ games is coming out soon in asia. I want to own all the games in english. Does anybody have those playasia 5% off discount codes anymore? Or did they stop doing that?

Yeah, I saw that!  I'm greatly excited for that as well.  Just want to get the info on what all is actually on the cart, and whether or not we're getting a NA version.  Bc if we aren't, gotta hop on that release pronto. 

DQ2 was the last thing that I played on my NES mini.  But I quit right when it was about time to head to the final area of the game (Rhone) because it just becomes a long level grind there at the end. 

DQ1 is the same way.  Playing it on fast forward I don't even know how people made it through the end of the game legitimately with all the sustained damage you take while trudging through the endless random encounters in the Dark Lord's palace.