* * * * - 28 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

#29911 umbry   PokePro CAGiversary!   1693 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:59 AM

Also for people that care, I updated the Upcoming Switch Releases 2019/2020

If you want any games added just post them and I will add them.

#29912 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20928 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

Looks like I'm into Switch games now too.

*shrug*

#29913 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4879 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

Hmm videogameplusca posted on facebook a bunch of new games they had in stock/back in stock.  One of which was sakura wars or something like that.  I must have missed that getting an english asian or whatever release on the switch as I don't recall that being mentioned before.

Ah my mistake it was super robot wars v not sakura wars.  

#29914 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1936 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:48 PM

I'm finding AI: Somnium Files..

So now that I'm finished I feel like I should give an update on the game after earlier sharing my positive first impressions.

I don't play a ton of VN's so maybe this structure is common.  I've spent most of my VN time with S;G (and it's spinoffs) as well as Danganronpa 1-2 (both series get easter egg references in this game).  Overall I liked AI: Somnium Files better than D1&2 but less than S;G.  Worth playing, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it.  And the LE is pretty worthless, so my cag advice would be just get the SE or digital when it drops below $25.  Shouldn't be too long.

#29915 DarthPwner  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:44 AM

Yeah all Nonary Games... games are all like that. You basically get a fat To Be Continued screen when you hit those doors and have to go elsewhere. They do that because at those points, there are spoilers and if you haven't yet taken the other routes, a lot will be spoiled for you and you wouldn't understand them anyway unless you have seen beyond a few of the other doors. I say doors because, literally, there are the #1-9 doors.

#29916 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1936 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

Yeah all Nonary Games... games are all like that. 

I see.  I did play Zero Escape some but not 999 or ZTD (backlogged).  So I guess it wasn't enough for me to see the pattern / tradition that's continued into this new game. 

In other news, I was checking up on my Cold Steel III CE order and it looks like a handful of units are back in stock on the NISA store.

#29917 umbry   PokePro CAGiversary!   1693 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

I need to replay that series. I played the first one on my PS TV. 

But wanna replay the series on PS4 now that it is on there.

Also Bought Trails in Sky 1-3 on PC but have yet to finish them.

And I own the Vita/PSP version too and part of me wishes they released them on Switch so I can play them again.

I have issues.

#29918 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9508 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

I  strongly prefer playing games on the Switch cause it's easy to pick up and put down so I understand.

#29919 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4879 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:14 PM

I see.  I did play Zero Escape some but not 999 or ZTD (backlogged).  So I guess it wasn't enough for me to see the pattern / tradition that's continued into this new game. 

In other news, I was checking up on my Cold Steel III CE order and it looks like a handful of units are back in stock on the NISA store.

999 is the exception.  Whatever choices you make are the route you are stuck with and some end abruptly idiotically.  I was so annoyed when I missed a trigger for the route I was on and ended up in the true ending adjacent that stops abruptly for no damn reason.  The other games make you go through the routes annoyingly but they let you go to whatever ones at least.

I need to replay that series. I played the first one on my PS TV. 

But wanna replay the series on PS4 now that it is on there.

Also Bought Trails in Sky 1-3 on PC but have yet to finish them.

And I own the Vita/PSP version too and part of me wishes they released them on Switch so I can play them again.

I have issues.

I  strongly prefer playing games on the Switch cause it's easy to pick up and put down so I understand.

I'm with you guys there.  It's a shame they haven't ported them to the switch yet.  Odds are the escape room games could end up on there eventually.  But I doubt sky or cold steel will anytime soon since they are so busy with localizations of the localized games.

#29920 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   708 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:56 PM

999 is the exception. Whatever choices you make are the route you are stuck with and some end abruptly idiotically. I was so annoyed when I missed a trigger for the route I was on and ended up in the true ending adjacent that stops abruptly for no damn reason. The other games make you go through the routes annoyingly but they let you go to whatever ones at least.

I'm with you guys there. It's a shame they haven't ported them to the switch yet. Odds are the escape room games could end up on there eventually. But I doubt sky or cold steel will anytime soon since they are so busy with localizations of the localized games.

999 forces you to play every route, before it will allow you to finish the true route.

#29921 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3863 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

999 forces you to play every route, before it will allow you to finish the true route.

Pretty sure that's VLR. You don't have to see every ending in 999, just the prerequisites for the True End. 

#29922 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   708 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:52 AM

Pretty sure that's VLR. You don't have to see every ending in 999, just the prerequisites for the True End. 

I will concede that the wikis indicate otherwise and it's been years since I played, but if I remember right,

Spoiler

When on the true path you eventually

Spoiler
  By playing through one of the other paths (from the start)
Spoiler

So if you return to the start of the game (yet again, thank god for text skip) and take the true path again

Spoiler

I was completely stuck, until in frustration I played through each branch in sequence order.  It was only after the game had registered that I had played to the end of each path that something changed and

Spoiler

Looking on wikis they say

Spoiler

Also to clarify, when I say I went through in sequence order, I mean I did a depth first traversal of the paths, so

Spoiler

Edit: I'm going spoiler heavy even for a 10 year old game, because clearly some people haven't played it yet.  Also, I still haven't started AI yet, so please... no spoilers for that one.

#29923 NeoMonk  

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:08 PM

Luigi's Mansion 3 Overview Trailer - It gets a bit spoilery so keep that in mind.

Man, this game is looking promising!

#29924 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20928 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:42 AM

Just curious, but need to part with some of my figures to make space for Switch, and wondering if anybody here would be interested since this seems like a good place.

2OEPasF.jpg

#29925 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:34 AM

Just curious, but need to part with some of my figures to make space for Switch, and wondering if anybody here would be interested since this seems like a good place.

You may want to try the figure thread: https://www.cheapass...-figure-thread/

#29926 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20928 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:41 AM

You may want to try the figure thread: https://www.cheapass...-figure-thread/

Didn't know the Master Trade Lists were still relatively active, so that's good.

Thanks.

original.gif

Edit:
No wait, this is just the deals thread for figures.

Same effect. ;D

#29927 umbry   PokePro CAGiversary!   1693 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 PM

OMG I hope this comes to the US.

I am already buying all three but a physical copy would be sweet.

https://www.play-asi...guage/13/70d0en

dragon-quest-1-2-3-collection-multilangu

#29928 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2821 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

I preordered the Asia version when it went live.  It already has English so I'm fine if they don't bother a physical US version.   if only they did an Asia English Switch release for Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2.  That would have been nice.

#29929 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8587 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Indeed.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the mobile ports of those games though.  Wish it was the originals with a fast forward button. 

#29930 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   897 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 06:28 PM

2OEPasF.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#29931 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 PM

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed to be digital only in the US. I preoreded the version you linked about a month ago for that reason. I'm really loooking forward to getting it in! :P

#29932 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20928 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:16 PM

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed to be digital only in the US. I preoreded the version you linked about a month ago for that reason. I'm really loooking forward to getting it in! :P

Those heartless monsters. :*(

#29933 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2821 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Indeed.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the mobile ports of those games though.  Wish it was the originals with a fast forward button.

After playing some of the 2D mode in DQ XI-S... and knowing this is Akira Toriyama's key art used in DQ I/II/III I'm cool with it. Is it exactly what I remember from the NES? No. But it's still DQ... and this will be a much better way for me to replay those games since I will be able to play the entire main series (other than X, of course) between my N3DS-XL and Switch.   Ideally, I'd love the rest of the series to get ported over to the Switch just for the convenience.