* * * * - 11 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 6/14: E3 & WB Sales! $45 BotW, $10 Golf Story, $30 Mario + Rabbids, & More!

#5761 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

Admittedly, RL is a close second.

Oh so Rocket League is on the Switch? Sorry been too busy playing BotW to notice. 

#5762 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6386 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Thanks again to whoever posted the link to that Wii U Pro-clone on Amazon. Got it today and it’s a really nice controller for $20.

Initially, I liked the GamePad but after the novelty wore off, I realized how it kinda hurts after using it while with how bulky it is. I’ll still use it for off tv play especially but having a normal size controller is much nicer for longer sessions on the big screen.

Yeah, even when the Wii U was new, that tablet controller seemed dated and not very well thought out. Off TV play was a great idea, but like most "N" ideas, it was very half baked, as there where tons of games that couldn't even use it. The first game I ever really played for any amount of time on the U was BotW, and I took my pro controller out of the closet rather quickly.

Even though I stopped playing BotW before I finished it(not a really great game IMO), I almost stopped early on when the game forces you to use the tablet for motion controlled shrines. God, those where just the worst, and every time I was made to do one, I wanted to quit. For those levels alone, I would have never rated that game more than an 8(and that would still be a generous score).

#5763 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7922 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, even when the Wii U was new, that tablet controller seemed dated and not very well thought out. Off TV play was a great idea, but like most "N" ideas, it was very half baked, as there where tons of games that couldn't even use it. The first game I ever really played for any amount of time on the U was BotW, and I took my pro controller out of the closet rather quickly.

Even though I stopped playing BotW before I finished it(not a really great game IMO), I almost stopped early on when the game forces you to use the tablet for motion controlled shrines. God, those where just the worst, and every time I was made to do one, I wanted to quit. For those levels alone, I would have never rated that game more than an 8(and that would still be a generous score).

Interesting. I haven’t gotten to the point where motion controls are required for BoTW. For some reason, I thought I read that it supported the pro controller so figured that meant it wouldn’t need the GamePad at all.

As far as Off TV play, I’ve actually been surprised at how many games do use it. Looked like some had updates later to enable it.

But mainly I’d use it for platformers. Quite nice to sit and play a Mario game on the couch while someone else is using the TV. Mario Kart isn’t too bad either.

#5764 filldoh1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   153 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

I'm pretty sure 1, 2 Switch is the only Nintendo retail game to get a sale on the eShop so far.

mario rabbids kingdom was on sale for 40. I bought it two weeks ago. But yes the sales are few and far between.

#5765 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Interesting. I haven’t gotten to the point where motion controls are required for BoTW. For some reason, I thought I read that it supported the pro controller so figured that meant it wouldn’t need the GamePad at all.

As far as Off TV play, I’ve actually been surprised at how many games do use it. Looked like some had updates later to enable it.

But mainly I’d use it for platformers. Quite nice to sit and play a Mario game on the couch while someone else is using the TV. Mario Kart isn’t too bad either.

None of the motion controlled shrines are required for completion of the primary story.  In fact, only four shrines are required at all for the story, but you will obviously want to do more.  And most of the few motion control puzzles can be cheesed if you think outside the box (like flip the ball maze over to the flat back of the platform).  You really only have to expose yourself to the motion control puzzles if you want to 100% the game, otherwise if you see a motion control console, you can turn around and walk right back out of the shrine consequence free.

It really only amounts to being upset you cannot complete 100% of the tasks in the game without at least using 100% of the methods of input.  Some people made the same complaints about Mario Odyssey - that you couldn't acquire a few of the hundreds of moons unless you used the controllers in detached motion control mode.  The bottom line is if you want get credit for doing everything in a game, you kind of have to do everything in a game, even the parts you might not enjoy.  It really only is a problem when a frustrating task would be required to play through the story or have it lock out a significant amount of content, which isn't true of Zelda or Mario.

#5766 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6386 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

As stated above, the shrines that use the tablet aren't required, but to come across a puzzle in Zelda, and skip it, defeats the purpose of playing in the first place. And going from the pro to the tablet, and back again, really just breaks the feel for me. But if I would have known I was never going to finish the game, I would have for sure skipped those.

As for the off screen play, some of my sons favorite games didn't allow it(like Splatoon), so then he would have to take over the TV. Which in my mind defeated the purpose of off screen play in the first place. As why have the tablet with a screen at all? 

#5767 CodeTrader   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4117 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

Has Zelda Breath of the Wild ever been on sale digitally? Wondering if I should just go ahead and pick it up now, or wait for a potential sale. 

Not digital, but if you have a Shopko in your area you can pickup the reg. edition for $39.99 after the $10 off $30 coupon.

Link

Also, Best Buy has the Explorer's Edition for $47.99 if you have GCU.

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6135026

#5768 chipzilla   Gene's Hairy Mole CAGiversary!   329 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

chipzilla

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

I want Pocket Card Jockey, don't I?

Yup.

#5769 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3423 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

As stated above, the shrines that use the tablet aren't required, but to come across a puzzle in Zelda, and skip it, defeats the purpose of playing in the first place. And going from the pro to the tablet, and back again, really just breaks the feel for me. But if I would have known I was never going to finish the game, I would have for sure skipped those.

As for the off screen play, some of my sons favorite games didn't allow it(like Splatoon), so then he would have to take over the TV. Which in my mind defeated the purpose of off screen play in the first place. As why have the tablet with a screen at all? 

Embarrassingly, I have a pro controller but have been using joycons in and out of portable mode. Apparently the Pro has motion controls though so how come you can't do the shrines that require them?

And what about Splatoon isn't off screen play? Maybe I missed something in a previous quote.

#5770 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2528 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

Embarrassingly, I have a pro controller but have been using joycons in and out of portable mode. Apparently the Pro has motion controls though so how come you can't do the shrines that require them?

And what about Splatoon isn't off screen play? Maybe I missed something in a previous quote.

He's talking about the Wii U.

#5771 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3423 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

He's talking about the Wii U.

oh. :dunce:

I'm glad Nintendo supports games even when they are on the wrong side of the hardware cycle but I feel like the last gen version will always get poor support.

#5772 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67361 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

#5773 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1892 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:33 AM

How many people have picked up super meat boy ?

Who all is getting the physical version of wonder boy instead of the eshop digital version?

#5774 WolfmanASTN   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1544 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

WolfmanASTN

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

Mmmmm, that's a tall order. LOL

It's PS4 exclusive isn't it? I'm sure it will push the PS4 to it's limits, so I wouldn't count on it. If they ever offer a lesser mobile version for IOS/Android, the switch may have a shot. But to build it from the ground up for the NS, I can't see Square taking that kind of gamble. It would for sure be a system seller if done well, but I think "N" would have to step in and pay for it to happen currently.

I always found it funny Cloud got voted into SSB4 even though his appearances on Nintendo consoles have been cameos or as a secret side character.

#5775 WolfmanASTN   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1544 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

WolfmanASTN

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

I am fucking pumped. Please bring 2 and 3 as well as Demons Souls!

Ya need a PS for the last one

#5776 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67361 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Here are some new deals for today:

:switch:

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star - $38.99 - 35% Off - Ends 1/22 - 60

Tactical Mind - $2.69 - 10% Off - Ends 1/31

Last call for the Nindies New Year sale that ends at 3 PM ET/12 PM PT.

#5777 INCyr   Devotee of CAGthulhu CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Kinda tempted to pick up FE:Birthright (and then Revelations.)

Just out of curiosity, has FE:A ever been on sale?

#5778 TheGuardianLegend   What backlog? CAGiversary!   263 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

TheGuardianLegend

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

Kinda tempted to pick up FE:Birthright (and then Revelations.)

Just out of curiosity, has FE:A ever been on sale?

I picked it up two or three years ago digitally for 19.99. It hasn’t been on sale since.

#5779 CodeTrader   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4117 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

A cheap Nintendo Switch case if anyone needs one. Only $0.99. Add to cart and then use Alexa to order it to bypass the $25 minimum for the Amazon Add-on.

Link

#5780 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

+1

Hell, I'd be happy with the Wii version brought to the 3DS at this point. Sadly, Punch-Out is another title lost to the ages at "N", same with F-Zero and some other great past titles.

There really isn't much you can do on Punch-Out or F-Zero after the latest versions of the games.  Both of those games were completely unbound by technology at the time (there was nothing they seemed to be limited by).  For better or worse, Nintendo isn't fond of releasing new iterations that do not have some sort of new hook in them.  Personally I'd love a new Star Fox that was nothing more than 64 with new levels, a Punch Out with new fighters (and of course the best old ones) or F-Zero with new tracks.  Instead we get Star Fox dumbed down to shoehorn in motion control hot garbage and nothing for the other two.

#5781 3rdShift  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

A cheap Nintendo Switch case if anyone needs one. Only $0.99. Add to cart and then use Alexa to order it to bypass the $25 minimum for the Amazon Add-on.

Link

I wasn't able to get alexa to recognize the case, but another workaround is to preorder agme and either cancel it later on or keep it if it's a game you were intending on getting anyway. I preordered days gone with my $.99 switch case.

#5782 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2172 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

Nintendo seems to put The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX on sale quite frequently. Why does NOA do that for other GB / GBC VC titles???

#5783 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67361 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:09 AM

#5784 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67361 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:30 AM

Here's a new deal for today:

:switch:

Black The Fall - $13.49 - 10% Off - Ends 1/30 - 20

#5785 tonyvx  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:00 AM

Whoa, that game looks super interesting. Probably will snag that at release. Thanks for sharing!

#5786 cleaver   You have 0 friends CAGiversary!   3591 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:50 AM

Whoa, that game looks super interesting. Probably will snag that at release. Thanks for sharing!

It’s also never been on sale on PSN so it won’t be like you’re paying a Switch tax.

#5787 tonyvx  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:07 AM

It’s also never been on sale on PSN so it won’t be like you’re paying a Switch tax.

Speaking of Switch tax, The World Ends With You: Final Remix pre-orders are showing as $60. Definitely looking forward to that game, but man I hope that isn't the actual price...

#5788 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

There really isn't much you can do on Punch-Out or F-Zero after the latest versions of the games.  Both of those games were completely unbound by technology at the time (there was nothing they seemed to be limited by).  For better or worse, Nintendo isn't fond of releasing new iterations that do not have some sort of new hook in them.  Personally I'd love a new Star Fox that was nothing more than 64 with new levels, a Punch Out with new fighters (and of course the best old ones) or F-Zero with new tracks.  Instead we get Star Fox dumbed down to shoehorn in motion control hot garbage and nothing for the other two.

It really makes me wonder, how well did Star Fox 64 do in sales? Was it really so bad that Nintendo didn't feel that it was a good idea to create a sequel that more or less played similarly enough? For some reason after that they can't seem to hit the mark with the series.. like wtf.. how did we go from that to the shite we have now?

#5789 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6386 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

It really makes me wonder, how well did Star Fox 64 do in sales? Was it really so bad that Nintendo didn't feel that it was a good idea to create a sequel that more or less played similarly enough? For some reason after that they can't seem to hit the mark with the series.. like wtf.. how did we go from that to the shite we have now?

The N64 didn't have a ton of releases to begin with, but it did well in the US, and was second only to MK64 that year. Japan only sold about a 3rd of those numbers, so I would think that has a lot to do with it. I personally think after the first game, you could see where they tried to go with SF2, only to come up way short of anything worth paying full retail for. So enter SF64, with a few of the better ideas from 2, and with full voices and rumble thrown in(two first of it's kind for "N" I believe at the time).

Miyamoto always said he was inspired by things like the Thunderbirds of old UK TV show, and I always thought a game with CG or in game graphics with puppet style characters would have been amazing. Sadly, even to this day, "N" has the worst story telling anywhere in video games, and they also lack a department to make proper in game animations(CG or otherwise).

I completely agree that the only two games worth a damn, was SF & SF64. I did enjoy SF command on the DS, and was the only game besides the first two I actually finished. It wasn't as good as the first two games, but it offered new ideas that worked well, and I found entertaining. Even though not a true SF game, I thought it was a great "side" game to the series. I would love to see Platinum or someone else who understands SF to take over, but "N" sadly has no clue at this point.

#5790 rdigit   Banned Banned   655 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

rdigit

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

2pm PT today: Nintendo announcement. "New way to play" (Japanese translation). "New interactive experience" (EU/US posting)