* * * * - 11 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 6/14: E3 & WB Sales! $45 BotW, $10 Golf Story, $30 Mario + Rabbids, & More!

#5821 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3101 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:25 AM

Then I guess I'll wait to see what the cartridge by itself costs.  Because paying 60 and 70 for two sets....

#5822 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:15 AM

OH NO!

Not this time, Nintendo. I am embarrassed to admit that I've spent an awful lot of money over the years on a lot of stupid shit just because Nintendo slapped their branding on it and feel great shame every time I endorse some of their shenanigans with my wallet at the same time complaining about them.

But Nintendo branded cardboard is where I draw the line.

There is no way I'm buying this.

#5823 tonyvx  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:16 AM

But here's what really matters: Will they be GCU eligible? 

#5824 rdigit   Banned Banned   655 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

rdigit

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:18 AM

I'm looking forward to cardboard amiibos if that's ever a thing. We got a sneak peek with the cereal.

#5825 tonyvx  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:19 AM

OH NO!

Not this time, Nintendo. I am embarrassed to admit that I've spent an awful lot of money over the years on a lot of stupid shit just because Nintendo slapped their branding on it and feel great shame every time I endorse some of their shenanigans with my wallet at the same time complaining about them.

But Nintendo branded cardboard is where I draw the line.

There is no way I'm buying this.

Well, that might be because you're an adult. And this is a child's toy.

It's a super creative way to get kids engaged and build stuff while still using a screen. It's cardboard sure, but it's a legitimately genius use of cardboard. 

#5826 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6281 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:34 AM

Well, that might be because you're an adult. And this is a child's toy.

It's a super creative way to get kids engaged and build stuff while still using a screen. It's cardboard sure, but it's a legitimately genius use of cardboard. 

Yeah, just as I said earlier, my sons loving this. He hasn't stopped talking about it since he got home from school and I showed it to him. He's amazed by the whole concept, and can't wait to try it out.

I think there is some cool ideas here, but yeah, it's mainly for children, so I don't see all the issues personally. It's great for it's intended audience, and I'm sure some grown ass man babies will have their fun as well. LOL

#5827 tonyvx  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

Yeah, just as I said earlier, my sons loving this. He hasn't stopped talking about it since he got home from school and I showed it to him. He's amazed by the whole concept, and can't wait to try it out.

I think there is some cool ideas here, but yeah, it's mainly for children, so I don't see all the issues personally. It's great for it's intended audience, and I'm sure some grown ass man babies will have their fun as well. LOL

... I just wanna pretend to be a giant robot Chris...

Why you gotta hurt me like that...

#5828 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6281 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:17 AM

... I just wanna pretend to be a giant robot Chris...

Why you gotta hurt me like that...

Don't let me ruin your fun, just post pics once your all suited up, so we can all be a part of the Labo experience. LOL

#5829 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

No. Just no.

#5830 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1365 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

I wonder how much the replacement cardboard is going to cost? It should be a fraction of the entry price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5831 krzysio87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   124 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

Labo is easily the best thing Nintendo has done with the NS and probably the most creative thing they've done in a while. It's the most excited I've been about a Nintendo product in a long time; even if I don't plan on getting it.

The meltdown from hardcore gamers forgetting Nintendo is a toy company first was a bonus though, they were getting too chummy anyways.

#5832 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6281 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

I wonder how much the replacement cardboard is going to cost? It should be a fraction of the entry price

"N" branded replacements: $30

Cheap Asian Alternatives: $10

Labo is easily the best thing Nintendo has done with the NS and probably the most creative thing they've done in a while. It's the most excited I've been about a Nintendo product in a long time; even if I don't plan on getting it.

The meltdown from hardcore gamers forgetting Nintendo is a toy company first was a bonus though, they were getting too chummy anyways.

Yeah, I'm the first one to slam "N" when an opportunity presents itself, but I'm not seeing the big deal with so many not liking this. I also agree this is one of the most creative things I've seen them do in a long time. Of course it remains to be seen how well this works, and what the end user opinion may be, but I'm keeping an open mind for now.

They didn't make a big deal about this, and pretty much tried to keep fans expectations in check, with a stealth video and the for "kids" comments before hand. My son who is the intended market hasn't stopped rambling about this since yesterday. It makes no difference if adults really like it or not, as it's not made for them. If some here want it great, if some aren't interested, don't buy it.

I personally think it's way over priced for what it is, but this is "N" after all, so the pricing isn't a surprise at all. I would personally like to see this idea taken further, with maybe some better made DIY materials(plastics, metals, etc), and little motors, actuators or other things that can be connected by BT to the NS, as using the joy-cons is going to be rather limited in what can be done long term.

Of course what I'm suggesting would probably be in the hundreds, as their charging $70 for cardboard. But for some cool "N" specific models or toys, I could see it having a market. But for now, I guess we need to see where Labo goes first, before a more adult followup can be considered.

#5833 MikeIsGood   CAG'n Since 04 CAGiversary!   137 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

MikeIsGood

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I think this is actually super freaking cool, tbh. It's not for me now being a 30-something, but I wish I had it when I was a kid. I would have been all over this.

I get the cardboard aspect - it's cool that kids can color it in and make it their own. I do have concerns with it getting damaged really easily and being so expensive to replace. That should not come as a surprise...N trying to get our money? Stunned.

Labo itself, though, seems pretty cool to me. I won't be getting it, but it isn't for me in the first place.

#5834 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6281 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

I get the cardboard aspect - it's cool that kids can color it in and make it their own. I do have concerns with it getting damaged really easily and being so expensive to replace. That should not come as a surprise...N trying to get our money? Stunned.

I will say the cardboard shown in those videos looks very thick and rigid. If that's what the end product will be, who knows? But knowing this is for kids, and if their supposed to color, paint, design, they are going to need some high quality cardboard(which it looks to be).

If they release this for the going price listed, and then have stuff trashed within a week, it will die before it begins. There are some cardboard out in the world that may not stand up as well as plastic, but there is some very durable options out in the market that comes pretty close(water not withstanding). I would also guess, that may be a big part of the cost, as thin materials is rather cheap, where the more durable can be rather expensive.

#5835 ihadmail   Banned Banned   1038 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

ihadmail

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

I bought my son a giant flat pack cardboard space ship for his birthday 2 years ago. It survived him (years 4-6) and his little brother bashed it pretty well for a little over a year also (years 1-2). They finally broke one small piece of it, but it fully functioned as a space ship looking hideout when I disassembled it and recycled it.

I still have the ingenious little "screws" that were used to hold it together. I certainly wouldn't write off good cardboard as a durable play medium for kids. 

Makedo-SPACE-POD-anti-gravity-1000.jpg?v

#5836 Greatwhitecoley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   630 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Greatwhitecoley

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

I bought my son a giant flat pack cardboard space ship for his birthday 2 years ago. It survived him (years 4-6) and his little brother bashed it pretty well for a little over a year also (years 1-2). They finally broke one small piece of it, but it fully functioned as a space ship looking hideout when I disassembled it and recycled it.

I still have the ingenious little "screws" that were used to hold it together. I certainly wouldn't write off good cardboard as a durable play medium for kids.

Makedo-SPACE-POD-anti-gravity-1000.jpg?v

First things first, where did you buy that? Asking for my kids of course.

As for those complaining about it, I suspect they think Nintendo working on this detracts from things we all are waiting on, virtual console, ui updates, and first party games. I would imagine this was a whole different team that they stuck on it who wouldn’t have been working on those things anyway.

#5837 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3402 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

"N" branded replacements: $30

Cheap Asian Alternatives: $10

Seriously though, has replacement cost been announced?

#5838 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6281 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

As for those complaining about it, I suspect they think Nintendo working on this detracts from things we all are waiting on, virtual console, ui updates, and first party games. I would imagine this was a whole different team that they stuck on it who wouldn’t have been working on those things anyway.

Honestly, this could easily help pay for more "real" games down the road, so consumers should welcome this, as it can only help in the long run. Unless it's trash of course, but that's a different matter I suppose. LOL

Seriously though, has replacement cost been announced?

None that I've seen so far. I would think they will offer all items complete on there own(piano, fishing pole. etc.), as well as a parts list. But the part's list might not be needed if the cost for lets say the Piano is $10. Why buy a key for $1-2, when you might as well get the whole thing for $10.

Plus a parts list might be to hard logistically to keep track of. Now this is an example of course, and they may be totally off their nut with pricing, but they should keep it in reason. I think most would agree the price for this should have been $40 tops, where $70 is a HUGE stretch to say the least. So where "N" is involved, don't count anything out. LOL

#5839 ihadmail   Banned Banned   1038 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

ihadmail

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

I'm pretty sure I got it from Sams Club on sale for like $20-30. They're discontinued now though. 

Here's the MFR website: https://www.make.do/...ns/all-products

This thing was MASSIVE. It was around 6' in diameter, nearly 4' tall. I fit inside of it with both of my kids at the same time. 

#5840 irighti   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

I have 3 daughters, two of which game with me. all are under 8, and the two that play are over the moon excited. that enough makes this a worthwhile purchase for me. they love to tinker and build anyhow, so this is a pretty clever way to involve the switch. hopefully more price friendly packs come out down the line. something with an animal crossing tie in later would really be a hit in our household. 

the hospital I work at also has a fair share of gaming systems. we have added 4 switches. I think this will be a great add on for some of the kids who have longer stays; continuing one of our therapy services. anything that provides a fun escape for them is always welcomed by me. 

#5841 tonyvx  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

The recently announced Direct games are now available with the Prime pre-order discount on Amazon, for those interested in that sort of thing.

Dark Souls: Remastered is $31.99, which is fair. I could easily have seen this going full price.

The World Ends With You: Final Remix is $47.99 though, which is still nuts.

#5842 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10346 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

A little out of place, but if anyone is playing Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, you can friend me 3093 6657 031. Jess.

I'm level 43 or something. :joystick:

#5843 elessar123  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

I'm pretty sure I got it from Sams Club on sale for like $20-30. They're discontinued now though.

This thing was MASSIVE. It was around 6' in diameter, nearly 4' tall. I fit inside of it with both of my kids at the same time. 

That much cardboard in a set for $20 (maybe even $30) is completely reasonable. That, and the fishing reel / piano / robot require lots of movement, which will wear down those areas really fast. And the reel and robot will absorb any sweat from playing games while using them and degrade that way too.

I know I'm not the target audience, and I'm not planning on getting it, but I feel like they're missing just that last 5% to make it a homerun. Expandability to let kids learn to make something that interacts with the software, instead of what's basically tech demos. Longevity. More reasonable price.

#5844 mitch079   Don't be a moron! CAGiversary!   12651 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

Tweets won't show for me on CAG, but I believe FriskyTanuki was linking to a tweet that points to a note from IGN:
"the kits will not be mandatory – although the cartridge is needed – since Nintendo plans to offer the cardboard design pattern for free for aspiring builders”.

IGN France reported it and later redacted it saying the patterns will NOT be made available for free.http://fr.ign.com/m/...propres-patrons

#5845 MoreThenThree  

MoreThenThree

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

But here's what really matters: Will they be GCU eligible? 

Looks like it works with GCU! 

https://www.bestbuy....s=960&keys=keys

#5846 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67214 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Here are the new deals for today:

:switch:

The Bridge - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

Crimsonland - $11.19 - 20% Off - Ends 1/24 - 20

Letter Quest Remastered - $11.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/1 - 20

Portal Knights - $26.99 - 10% Off - Ends 1/28 - 30

:3ds:

Aqua Moto Racing 3D - $5.99 - 25% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

Breakout Defense - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

Darts Up 3D - $0.98 - 67% Off - Ends 2/7

Soccer Up 3D - $1.97 - 33% Off - Ends 2/7

Triple Breakout - $3.49 - 30% Off - Ends 1/25

:wiiu:

360 Breakout - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

Breakout Defense 2 - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

The Bridge - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

Double Breakout II - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

Pinball Breakout - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 1/25 - 10

Tachyon Project - $7.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/1 - 10

Ending Soon:

The Coma: Recut - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 1/25 - 20

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star - $38.99 - 35% Off - Ends 1/22 - 60

NBA Playgrounds Enhanced Edition - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 1/19 - 20

Slain: Back From Hell - $16.99 - 15% Off - Ends 1/25 - 20

Stick It to The Man - $8.99 - 25% Off - Ends 1/25 - 20

:wiiu:

99Moves - $0.99 - 60% Off - Ends 1/24

99Seconds - $0.99 - 60% Off - Ends 1/24

Abyss - $0.79 - 60% Off - Ends 1/24

New Releases:

Ambition of the Slimes - $5.00

Arcade Archives Double Dragon - $7.99

Arcade Archives NeoGeo Power Spikes II - $7.99

Azkend 2: The World Beneath - $7.99

Baseball Riot - $4.99 - Out 1/19

Brawl - $9.99

Darkest Dungeon - $24.99

Energy Balance - $2.99

Gunhouse - $14.99

InnerSpace - $19.99

Nightmare Boy - $9.99

Nuclien - $2.99 - Out 1/19

Oh...Sir! The Hollywood Roast - $2.99

Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator - $1.99

Qbik - $4.99

Tales of the Tiny Planet - $19.99

Vesta - $14.99 - Out 1/19

World to the West - $19.99

:3ds:

Kirby Battle Royale - $39.99 - Out @ Midnight

Link-a-Pix Color - $7.99

#5847 MikeIsGood   CAG'n Since 04 CAGiversary!   137 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

MikeIsGood

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Anyone know how often Darkest Dungeon goes on sale on PC (or elsewhere)? Trying to determine if it's worth waiting for a sale or just jumping in.

#5848 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11526 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Moved my Labo preorders to GCU. Amazon can go suck a cardboard dick.

#5849 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36693 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:25 AM

Anyone know how often Darkest Dungeon goes on sale on PC (or elsewhere)? Trying to determine if it's worth waiting for a sale or just jumping in.

Fairly often.

#5850 krzysio87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   124 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

Yeah, I'm the first one to slam "N" when an opportunity presents itself...

Oh, believe me, I've noticed. Seriously though, they're not as bad as Apple, but Nintendo loves charging a premium whenever they can get away with it. Too bad the rumor about Nintendo providing the patterns didn't pan out, would of been fun to make the piano out pine sheets, though I really like the plain cardboard aesthetic the originals have.

Did anyone else know that Pan-Pan came out for the NS back in September? I try keeping up with all the releases but this wasn't on any of Nintendo's pressers or even in this topic. I only noticed it when I was getting picross e7 earlier today and it surprised me that it had been released without any mention.