* * * * - 11 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 6/14: E3 & WB Sales! $45 BotW, $10 Golf Story, $30 Mario + Rabbids, & More!

#6451 biledriver   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   976 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

biledriver

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

Oh damn, West of Loathing? That's awesome

#6452 Private Enis   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   69 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Private Enis

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Interested in West of Loathing, Pool Panic and Bomb Chicken. Wasn't expecting much so I'm pleased. 

#6453 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

Pretty mediocre.  Nintendo keeps saying "hey, we support digital distribution now!" when they should convince the bigger AA developers to stop remastering games and make outright sequels.

Why should devs stop wanting to make money and bring their games to new platforms when there's demand for it?

Most of the games that were announced were new games.

#6454 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

Lumines Remastered is out in May and has a vibrator mode to feel the music through multiple JoyCons.

#6455 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36694 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Pretty mediocre.  Nintendo keeps saying "hey, we support digital distribution now!" when they should convince the bigger AA developers to stop remastering games and make outright sequels.

"Hey, stop making easy money!"

#6456 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6586 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

Why should devs stop wanting to make money and bring their games to new platforms when there's demand for it?

Yeah, I agree, why not offer games with a quick return of time/funds spent, and help to make more games in the future.

And why should indies or 3rd parties make new games or sequels when "N" themselves are the port masters? I guess that's the norm, as everyone holds others to a higher standard, when "N" is often the worst of the bunch, but they won't get called out(at least not from the fanboys).

#6457 elessar123  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

Lumines Remastered is out in May and has a vibrator mode to feel the music through multiple JoyCons.

lol.

#6458 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36694 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, I agree, why not offer games with a quick return of time/funds spent, and help to make more games in the future.

I mean that's not what it is. It's a cash grab and it's worked because we've bought enough that it's profitable for them to do so, it's just the modern crap licensed game.

#6459 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

I mean that's not what it is. It's a cash grab and it's worked because we've bought enough that it's profitable for them to do so, it's just the modern crap licensed game.

Except they're not crap. I really don't get why people get so upset by ports when they're a normal thing.

#6460 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6586 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

Except they're not crap. I really don't get why people get so upset by ports when they're a normal thing.

I agree 100%, if someone already owns a game, just don't buy the port. Many people haven't played some of the ports offered, while others like to support guys and double dip. It's all good in the gaming hood!

#6461 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Trailers for some of the games announced today:

#6462 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3478 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

They shouldn't but at that same time Nintendo could afford to go to Enhance and Klei and say "hey guys, since you originally developed the game, should have a good handle on the code, and frankly shouldn't see a ton of risk how about we co-publish a sequel like we did with Bayonetta?".

i guess the hard truth would be that the games haven't sold well and that no one thinks it's worth the risk. The rest of the stuff is just tiny little teams with limited resources and wish them the best but I find little room for innovation with the smaller projects.

"Hey, stop making easy money!"

That's what it is. Hell, Mark of the Ninja might be top 10 as an Xbox Live title for me. I might buy it again but I'm trying to get out of the business of buying something over and over again which just feeds this problem more.

And why should indies or 3rd parties make new games or sequels when "N" themselves are the port masters? I guess that's the norm, as everyone holds others to a higher standard, when "N" is often the worst of the bunch, but they won't get called out(at least not from the fanboys).

Nintendo has recently gone off the deep end with stuff like Tropical Freeze but pre-Wii and VC they weren't porting any old stuff to Nintendo 64 or Gamecube. I remember how weird it was to see Super Mario All Stars on the Snes. There's absolutely no doubt that they are shamelessly riding the wave of success of Switch though with ports for everyone to shore of their catalog trying to avoid the same problem they always have which was building hardware out of sync with current gen technology.

#6463 elessar123  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

Doesn't matter if it doesn't sell well. They're losing momentum, and no one is going to want to buy a port of a game that's been 80% cheaper on any other platform. And usually with better frame rates, graphics, and controls.

It's been harder for me to recommend the Switch to people since Splatoon 2, personally.

#6464 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

They shouldn't but at that same time Nintendo could afford to go to Enhance and Klei and say "hey guys, since you originally developed the game, should have a good handle on the code, and frankly shouldn't see a ton of risk how about we co-publish a sequel like we did with Bayonetta?".

i guess the hard truth would be that the games haven't sold well and that no one thinks it's worth the risk. The rest of the stuff is just tiny little teams with limited resources and wish them the best but I find little room for innovation with the smaller projects.

That's not how development works.

Yeah, Mark of the Ninja sold so poorly that they've made a few more games since then. Same thing for how Lumines has had many sequels, so it definitely didn't fail to sell. I don't really get what you're implying with smaller indies.

#6465 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3478 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

That's not how development works.

Yeah, Mark of the Ninja sold so poorly that they've made a few more games since then. Same thing for how Lumines has had many sequels, so it definitely didn't fail to sell. I don't really get what you're implying with smaller indies.

That's exactly how development works. If Mark had sold well their would be a Mark 2 just like there was Shank 2 and a whole silly host of Don't Starve content. There's plenty evidence Klei isn't sequel adverse while at the same no line of sight to Mark 2. Same thing with Lumines. Lumines was the launch darling of the PSP, sold much better than expected, which led to Lumines getting a mobile port on flip phones and Lumines 2 having much more expensive licensed music. It never generated the same buzz again because by the time it got HD ports on consoles the market was crowded and puzzle games typically struggle on consoles anyway. The game is ridiculously simple from a technical perspective so the risk, time, and money, are all in asset development and possible licensing. Because porting the game is unbelievably, almost criminally easy it has been ported to everything that can run a program. Even on iOS it floundered because again it's moderately simply puzzle game and was released in 2016 when the app gold rush was over to already over saturated app store.

Bottom line is that's not about if it didn't sell, it's about whether it sold enough to make a new one. I can't be mad that smallish developers like Enhance or Klei don't want to take on the risk but I can be mad that Nintendo still hasn't when both Sony and MS have been publishing indies for years at this point.

#6466 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36694 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

Sure there's some where the pricing is right and there's enough work/improvements put into the game to justify it. Many, many though are the absolute bare minimum and/or priced too high for what they are. Even if they're better games than the usual bargain bin slop we've gotten in the past they still serve the same role this generation.

#6467 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2311 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

I'm interested in Mark of the Ninja Remastered, Garage and The Messenger.   I noticed today I got Mark of the Ninja back in 2014 on Steam (likely part of a bundle or sale as I don't remember buying it).  So I'm going to try it out there to see if I like it.   This reminds me of Fez.  I bought it on steam and it sat there until I got it on Vita/PSTV at which point I played it all the way through (and loved it).  I figured out a bit too late that after working with computers most of the day that I don't actually care much about gaming on them when I get home.

#6468 ihadmail   Banned Banned   1038 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

ihadmail

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

Switch is the first real investment I've made in Nintendo since the Nintendo 64 when I was a kid.

It wouldn't affect me at all if they ported the ENTIRE Wii U catalog, especially since there are a lot of games I've seen for it that I think to myself "this would be an awesome game, but Fuck not worth it on wii u"

#6469 Jermainemy  

Jermainemy

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

Hyped titles not in the nindies announced today:
Hyper Light Drifter launches on Switch this summer.

Nidhogg 2 planned for Switch in 2018.

Travis Strikes again will be able to wear a Hyper Light Drifter gear.

#6470 tonyvx  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hyped titles not in the nindies announced today:
Hyper Light Drifter launches on Switch this summer.

Nidhogg 2 planned for Switch in 2018.

Travis Strikes again will be able to wear a Hyper Light Drifter gear.

This is super exciting! I never played HLD but have always wanted to. Day one buy from me.

Also, the Hollow Knight devs said they'll have some news on the Switch release later this week! 

I agree 100%, if someone already owns a game, just don't buy the port. Many people haven't played some of the ports offered, while others like to support guys and double dip. It's all good in the gaming hood!

Listen y'all, if Chris of all people isn't complaining, then you know it's a non-issue.

#6471 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8857 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

I for one hope they remaster the whole WiiU library of first party titles. Hell I'll take some Wii and GC remasters as well. Different strokes for different folks. I skipped WiiU entirely though. I like remasters for the most part though unless it's really half baked.

#6472 gentlyporking   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   350 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

gentlyporking

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

Since the switch outsold the Wii U's entire lifetime in less than a year, most people skipped the Wii U.

I am also hopeful for more Wii U ports and Nintendo would be stupid not to try to get their return on investment from the flop that was Wii U.

#6473 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:08 AM

Here's my video on Time Recoil:

#6474 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1980 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:16 AM

Speaking of wiiu ports. Still waiting patiently for the news of a Mario maker switch edition. That will be a pre order day one purchase for sure!

#6475 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2700 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:44 AM

It's the last week to load money to your WIi Shop Channel account before you can't do it anymore.

If you're looking for something to buy, buy dis:

https://www.youtube....h?v=KNbqDFqBtxU

I wanted to take a moment to specifically thank you for mentioning this. I haven't paid any attention to the Wii shop in ages, and I had no idea that this was a thing that was happening. (Yes yes, I'm sure it was all over this thread back when it was new info, but I wasn't)

I had around $125 worth of games that I had not yet redownloaded to my WiiU. If I'd gone this long without knowing, I could easily see myself missing the January deadline.

#6476 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   1911 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

Switch is the first real investment I've made in Nintendo since the Nintendo 64 when I was a kid.

It wouldn't affect me at all if they ported the ENTIRE Wii U catalog, especially since there are a lot of games I've seen for it that I think to myself "this would be an awesome game, but Fuck not worth it on wii u"

Same, except SNES.... Have not owned a N system between SNES and New 3DS XL, did pick up a cheap Wii U late last year *after* I bought the Switch. Picked up a few games for it, and honestly have not touched really. The 3DS I have like 6 games for, and kinda lost interest in it.

Switch, whole new ballgame.

#6477 bubster93   WOT! CAGiversary!   114 Posts   Joined 1.4 Years Ago  

bubster93

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

I wanted to take a moment to specifically thank you for mentioning this. I haven't paid any attention to the Wii shop in ages, and I had no idea that this was a thing that was happening. (Yes yes, I'm sure it was all over this thread back when it was new info, but I wasn't)

I had around $125 worth of games that I had not yet redownloaded to my WiiU. If I'd gone this long without knowing, I could easily see myself missing the January deadline.

You're welcome! :)

If you're planning on buying new stuff, I believe the Wii Shop Channel only allows you to have $100 max in your account. You can use that balance up until the closing in Jan 2019, but adding new money is cut off next Monday.

Also, if you'd like to further backup your Wii Mode Virtual Console games, using VCRomClaim (https://github.com/Plombo/vcromclaim) allows you to turn all your games (except for Neo Geo, Commodore 64, TurboGraphix CD, and VC Arcade) into rom files. It also pulls your saves from these games, as well. I have a Chrono Trigger and Paper Mario Wii Save from around 2012 that I can finally finish because of this!

Remember, the NIntendo eShop for WiiU/3DS is still going to be around, but the Wii Shop Channel has some games that you can ONLY get there. This list will help you find what's exclusive:

https://www.reddit.c...games_that_are/

#6478 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6586 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

Same, except SNES.... Have not owned a N system between SNES and New 3DS XL, did pick up a cheap Wii U late last year *after* I bought the Switch. Picked up a few games for it, and honestly have not touched really. The 3DS I have like 6 games for, and kinda lost interest in it.

Switch, whole new ballgame.

Yeah, the NS is for sure "N" most comparable system in the market since probably the Gamecube. For those who honestly prefer playing on Sony/MS/PC systems, the NS is for sure a system that at least appears current gen(even though it's not).

I actually got my Wii U right before the NS was to launch, as I knew most games would be ports. I would rather get pretty much the same games cheap, than to pay $40-$60 for games that could be had for $20 and under on the U. But, for anyone getting the NS first, the Wii U is for sure not going to be playable to most after having that experience first. Using either in handheld mode, you see just how bad the Wii U was and what it should have been. I don't like the tablet, so I only play the U on the TV, and for all those ports, it's pretty much like playing the same exact games, only much cheaper. Handheld mode is for sure the NS best feature, but that has many drawbacks for me as well, so I don't use that mode at home either.

Now that my son has an NS, I still use the U much more, as the original games offered on the NS just aren't that great(IMO). I think the hardware is pretty good and functions just about as good as it should, but unless someone is looking to pay full price for old games(which I'm not), I still find the U currently to be a much better value. I'm sure that will change in a few years, but not until they offer a cheaper system, and a bigger library of original games.

#6479 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

Here are the new deals for today:

:switch:

Perception - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/10

Uurnog Uurnlimited - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 3/25

#6480 bubster93   WOT! CAGiversary!   114 Posts   Joined 1.4 Years Ago  

bubster93

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:27 AM

I had no idea TurboGrafx-16 games were so expensive! I was going to pick up a TurboGrafx eventually, but now that I've seen the prices, the Wii/WiiU virtual console versions seem like a better deal. I hope some of these games appear on the Switch as well!