Doom Gold Edition $99.99 ($79.99 GCU) Only at Best Buy

So, $79.99 w/GCU, you don't get the statue, still get the steelbook, the season pass and a $10 cert?

How is this bad, exactly?

Does a game like Doom really need a Season Pass?

Is the game launching with a very very small number of maps or something?

Btw the statue for the CE looks really cool imo. I kinda want to get it but ill wait for a CE price drop =]

Btw the statue for the CE looks really cool imo. I kinda want to get it but ill wait for a CE price drop =]
No game needs a season pass, just another way for developers to squeeze another $50 out of people, you can thank COD fans for this. I remember when I used to play Q3A, UT, and CS there were tons of mods and fan made maps.... For free

The one thing I miss about pc gaming, the thing that drove me out was the annoyingly fast changes to technology. I don't have the time or stamina to invest into it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

It probably will drop because that thing isn't sold out anywhere

Sarcasm? I hope....they're both fps but that's about the only thing they have in common. Were you expecting it to be like halo?
Have you played this? Because the characters look like Halo Spartans, you carry two weapons, create loadouts, and have third person melee kills

It is way too Halo for me

Even though this isn't for me I'm glad best buy is still selling bundles like this. It's the only way to get gcu to work with season passes so i welcome this. Loved the fallout 4 socks bundle last yr and i hoped for something similar with street fighter even though it didn't happen. Hopefully there is something similar for battlefield 5 later this year.

Even though this isn't for me I'm glad best buy is still selling bundles like this. It's the only way to get gcu to work with season passes so i welcome this. Loved the fallout 4 socks bundle last yr and i hoped for something similar with street fighter even though it didn't happen. Hopefully there is something similar for battlefield 5 later this year.
Seriously, it's these kind of bundles that will have me renewing my GCU subscription this holiday.

Is the season pass all multiplayer?
DOOM_Season-Pass-Keyart_730x839.jpg

Not worth it when the player base will be dead 2 months after release but I hope this leads to the right direction with Bestbuy offering more  bundles like this in the future. 

Thank you for guys for pointing out that the DLC was multiplayer only. Definitely not interested. "Back in the day" there would be single player Doom expansion packs that were a lot of fun and I was hoping that's what the DLC would be here.

I was interested a bit till I thought about it some, I dont like supporting season passes. Every time I buy a season pass then thats a little more money towards encouraging that kind of practice, the more it gets encouraged the more it will happen and the more severe it will be over time.

Ive come to realize that every time I buy DLC only 10% of the time its at least as good as the core game. And I definitely dislike multiplayer based DLC because it usually means the core game is stripped down a bit and light on maps, modes, weapons or whatnot.

Think Ill pass on doom and get it later on when its cheap to play the single player, and if anyone is still online Ill play a little MP.

Thank you for guys for pointing out that the DLC was multiplayer only. Definitely not interested. "Back in the day" there would be single player Doom expansion packs that were a lot of fun and I was hoping that's what the DLC would be here.
also Id are actually making the single player, so it could be good. They farmed out MP to, you guessed it, a team of mostly ex-Halo devs.

But haha it's nothing like Halo, guys

The statue is about 60 and the game 20 by Black Friday. I'll be paying $85 for the CE with GCU and the $10 certificate. So I'll be skipping this bundle

u also get doom 1 & 2 for xbox 360 for free

Last edited:
I was interested a bit till I thought about it some, I dont like supporting season passes. Every time I buy a season pass then thats a little more money towards encouraging that kind of practice, the more it gets encouraged the more it will happen and the more severe it will be over time.

Ive come to realize that every time I buy DLC only 10% of the time its at least as good as the core game. And I definitely dislike multiplayer based DLC because it usually means the core game is stripped down a bit and light on maps, modes, weapons or whatnot.

Think Ill pass on doom and get it later on when its cheap to play the single player, and if anyone is still online Ill play a little MP.
ive bought 4 season passes in the last year, witcher 3, arkham knight, fallout (gold edition) and division(gold edition). the problem is by the time the dlc comes out ive moved on, ie witcher and fallout. arkham knight's pass was awful, and i think the division is the only one ill get my money's worth as I dont plan on buying anything coming out soon without a glitch of some kind. i will eventually play the witcher and fallout dlc, but i probably could have traded in vanilla and waited for a goty and came out better.

Ive come to realize that every time I buy DLC only 10% of the time its at least as good as the core game.
You're being generous. ;)

I agree with people that see this game as another Evolve. The open beta starts this week so people can try it out. I didn't enjoy what I played. While I don't like the overdone boosting and abilities in the recent CoDs and Halos, I felt like the multiplayer in Doom was too much of a step backwards. Seemed very old school, which I can see appealing to some people. I felt like my time with the beta was enough. I don't really need to spend money on it though I would like to see more BB Gold Editions for future games.

..."Back in the day" there would be single player Doom expansion packs that were a lot of fun and I was hoping that's what the DLC would be here.
Exactly this - it's odd that most of the promotion, all the trailers, and now all the DLC focus on multiplayer only. Doom was an early multiplayer game but in 1994, the age of dial up networking and bulletin board system matching, most people didn't get a lot of deathmatching out of it. The most legendary thing about Doom was user created content and professional single player expansions (I'm glad to see there is a user created content system).

I think they are just going to end of releasing single player expansion content as a 'standalone expansion,' like was done with Wolfenstein, as a way to milk even more money out of people.

If it's not clear there's an epic single player campaign I may not even pick up my pre-order of the vanilla "Doom."

one other thing to consider is they didnt even charge for the season pass on the fallout 4 gold edition. not that lightning will strike twice there but with best buy you almost have to give it a shot just to see what they screw up.

Another game that's practically a new IP has a "collector's" edition with corporate-so-called "collectibles" and a season pass. Can we please make these games prove their worth before going all in? It will make the consumer environment better for all of us.

It's like sitting down at a brand new restaurant and pre-ordering dessert and preemptively leaving a large tip.

one other thing to consider is they didnt even charge for the season pass on the fallout 4 gold edition. not that lightning will strike twice there but with best buy you almost have to give it a shot just to see what they screw up.
Not only did they not charge for it, the bundle was a dollar or two cheaper than the vanilla version.

Once you guys try the open beta - check out the mode with the moving checkpoint/ objective. It's pretty cool.

Now that I know the dlc is going to be all mp I'll pass. I rarely play mp besides co-op, with the exceptions of games like Battlefield and Battlefront.

I despise anyone who buys this and supports these money grabbing companies. This game, alone, isn't worth $20. It's awful. Why anyone would pay an extra $50 for content that should have been included anyway is beyond me.

Support real devs

I despise anyone who buys this and supports these money grabbing companies. This game, alone, isn't worth $20. It's awful. Why anyone would pay an extra $50 for content that should have been included anyway is beyond me.

Support real devs
The game isn't out yet but you already know it's not worth $20?

It's hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they are a fan of quite possibly the least talented, garbage rapper in hip hop history.

the beta didn't include any SP content so its hard to tell how good that may or may not be

but yeah while this is sorta tempting, I am 99.9% sure I will stop playing the game and trade it in after 3-5 weeks so why bother paying extra for a season pass I wouldn't use and you know the gold edition of the game will be $40 within six months.

Play the open beta though and get your own mind made up, while I enjoyed the MP it did feel very Halo-ish to me and not really enough to get me to think I'll play the MP that much.  I already have black ops 3, battlefront, and halo 5 in my MP rotation and may add Overwatch to it, Doom beta didn't really bring enough new to the table for me to want it.

Support real devs
While I agree that it's silly to pre pay for additional content for what is essentially a new IP before it even launches for critical review, on that token, how in the hell could you possibly know if it's good OR bad, let alone its value relative to existing games? The previews and beta were pretty solid.

Yeah its fuckin ridiculous.  The Multiplayer-Only Season Pass is set at $40 itself!  That is outrageous.  

Think about if the game had Single Player only DLC, $40 would be nearly the cost of the entire game! (with GCU of course $48).  And DLC can't be traded in to recoup costs like the physical base game.  All the while, the slow drip of DLC forces you to hold onto the base game, while TIVs drop.

As Season Pass prices rise, it's more upon the consumer to hold off on these to stop the practices.  By their nature you are never fully aware of what you are getting ahead of time, so the higher the dollar amount, the more you are risking.  I'd wager to say that it is the hardly the case in which a consumer comes out better in the end result by purchasing a Season Pass.

Think about it in extremes.  $200 Season Pass has more financial risk to you than a $20 Season Pass.  You can swallow $20 a bit easier.  Don't get suckered in by the 20% discount via GCU.

thanks to the multiplayer beta I will be skipping this game. Halo 5 is much better
Funny, I'm a longtime Halo fan, and I'm dying for DOOM to come out because Halo 5 is an unholy sin against humanity. The maps are unbelievably bad and ruin the game for me every time my friend drags me into it.

Support real devs
1. SnapMap on all platforms means the potential for endless free content for all, depending on how it is implemented.
2. WtF are "real devs?" Are they the ones who crap out a Kickstarter for something that looks ripped off of a games from the 90s or sits in an eternal beta? Are they the ones who don't release DLC, but also give you no replay value? Throwing out your criticism like that, but keeping your allegiances vague to hide from the criticism of others, is a waste of words.

Exactly this - it's odd that most of the promotion, all the trailers, and now all the DLC focus on multiplayer only. Doom was an early multiplayer game but in 1994, the age of dial up networking and bulletin board system matching, most people didn't get a lot of deathmatching out of it. The most legendary thing about Doom was user created content and professional single player expansions (I'm glad to see there is a user created content system).

I think they are just going to end of releasing single player expansion content as a 'standalone expansion,' like was done with Wolfenstein, as a way to milk even more money out of people.

If it's not clear there's an epic single player campaign I may not even pick up my pre-order of the vanilla "Doom."
Well, last E3 included 15 minutes of campaign footage, and it looked really good. I'll add that this seems keen to being Quake's successor as well, as if id intends to bring both back at once.

Sorry for dumping 4 posts, not sure of a clean way to multi-quote on mobile. I'm torn on this now, as I wanted the CE statue. Getting a steelbook and the Pass (which would be the first Season Pass I ever bought) for $80 seems more palatable than getting that and the statue for $136.

I greatly enjoyed the beta, and having a shooter where guns are the focus. That people would compare this to Halo is pretty baffling, because other than mantling (which was in CoD long before Halo), I don't what similarities you would draw...unless you think red and blue teams are THAT unique.

I originally ordered the Doom: Collector's Edition, mainly for the Steelbook.  But now, with this Gold Edition that includes the Season Pass AND the Steelbook for half the price, it is a no brainer.  Tack on the $10 coupon promotion, and this is the better of the two deals.

That CE was disappointing as fuck, plus that statue I am sure will look like shit anyways.

bread's done
Back