Nintendo NX is officially launching in March 2017, won't be shown at E3

#1 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6698 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

http://arstechnica.c...nd-zelda-delay/

#2 alexgo  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

cdc.png

#3 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4386 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

I'm ok with that if we still get Zelda and a few other AAA games this Christmas.

#4 Explicit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1570 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

I'm ok with that if we still get Zelda and a few other AAA games this Christmas.

Zelda is pushed back to 2017, but will be shown and the only playable game from Nintendo at E3 this year.

#5 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22543 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

I'm really curious as to what they plan to do with NX. I feel like this announcement basically confirms the Wii U is dead. It's gotten a number of lackluster releases (Star Fox, Pokken) after a few good initial ones (Smash Bros, SM3DW, Bayonetta 2, MK8) and Zelda was really the one remaining high demand title. I think Paper Mario is also coming this year but not too excited for that since it seems like it's gonna be another one of those backburner games. 

Really don't see the need for it to be released on both consoles at this point... seems like that would cannibalize the sales of one or the other. Seems like it would have been better to just piss off the Wii U base (which isn't exactly great, don't think it's even expected to beat GC sales #s) and hope to have a top notch NX launch exclusive. And who knows what third party support will be like (not good, I'd assume). 

Still, it's exciting to see a new console. Wii U will be almost 5 yrs old by the time NX is slated to release. 

#6 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:07 PM

I hope the NX does something radically different yet something that isn't gimmicky. I will probably buy a NX but the thing for me is while I like Nintendo, they really need to do something to really up their game. The WiiU had great games but most of them were sequels. It lacked original games IMO.

I have the same problem with the One and PS4. More power does not equal better games for the most part imho.

#7 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2595 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:38 PM

I bought a wii u at launch. I Learned my lesson.

#8 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3950 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

I am interested to see what the NX turns out to be. It's definitely odd that Nintendo has announced a release date before even showing the system off in public. We know very little details about the console and considering Nintendo's track record it's not a good look for them to keep the details under wrap for this long and then come out and say they won't be showing it at E3. I think we all expected the Zelda delay and it being a duel release for the NX and Wii U, so that isn't any surprise. I bought my Wii U a couple of years ago and while I don't regret the purchase I can say that I play my Wii U considerably less than the Xbox One or PS4 and it's due to the poor online and general lack of games compared to the other consoles. Aside from Nintendo games I just don't have anything to look forward to on the Wii U and when I look at my collection it's 95% Nintendo published titles and only about 2 or 3 are from other publishers, which oddly enough is mostly UbiSoft with ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I think the only exception is Shovel Knight and everything else I own is published by either Ubi or Nintendo. 

#9 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3075 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

I heard that the new president of Nintendo was the one person on the board who voted against the wii u (one of the main reasons he's killing it).  I have a bad feeling there will be no backwards compatibility since, you know, no screen.

#10 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

I heard that the new president of Nintendo was the one person on the board who voted against the wii u (one of the main reasons he's killing it).  I have a bad feeling there will be no backwards compatibility since, you know, no screen.

I could technically imagine Nintendo selling the WiiU Gamepad separate just for the WiiU games.

#11 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

Well, much like the Wii to Wii U, they integrated peripherals from the past console generation without bundling into the core system, assuming you already had access to them.  I would imagine the NX system supporting the Wii U Gamepad from the start and potentially selling it separately, but if that was the case I don't think it would be supported much more beyond BC.

Not sure what Nintendo is going to push for this holiday season, though I'm still hopeful PM Color Splash won't fall into the Sticker Star trap and secure at least one Wii U game for me to look forward to this year.

#12 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3075 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:06 PM

I'm cautiously super-optimistic about Color Splash (I put cautiously and super in there because I am actually super excited about the game, but I'm not going to be pissy if it turns out like Sucker star)

#13 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2518 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:06 AM

Of course, this is disappointing news, but I don't think anyone is super surprised by this.  The Wii U - putting aside what one thinks about how good or bad the console's games are -- is undoubtedly NOT salvageable.  Sales are dead, and nothing Nintendo could do at this point is going to change the direction of the machine.

I admit the Big N has been a frustrating company of late.  It seems like in many ways the company has been its own worst enemy.  The good news is that this kind of corporate public "admission" (which is what this essentially is) is rather unprecedented, and hopefully, a sign that the company has learned some key lessons, and that it intends to use the NX as its course to redemption.

Frankly, I hope Nintendo uses NX to cut everything from its previous consoles.  No backwards compatibility, no more wii-motes, no nothing. Start over and use it as a fresh start.  It's the best way to make sure customers understand that NX is NOT connected or related to what came before.

The Wii U was a solid system, IMHO.  It has some amazing games, but of late, Nintendo has cared too much, or at least has spread itself thin, on rather pointless nostalgic toys and trinkets (yes, I'm looking at those amiibos).  I get that those things make money, but they're a game company, and hopefully the NX returns their attention to that focus.   

I'm a Nintendo gamer - I have every system since the NES, and yeah, even stuck through during the Gamecube and Wii eras.  I did NOT like the Wii, but I appreciated what Nintendo was trying to do (Just couldn't get into Skyward Sword - really wanted that to just work with a regular controller).  I'm not one of those gamers who cares at all about the console war.   I do care that Nintendo continues to make games I want to play, and in that sense, the Wii U was fun, but not quite great.  

I do feel burned by it, but I'll support the NX.  That said, the Big N better really go BIG for that launch because many of my friends have now moved on or have said they'll get in ONLY if Nintendo proves itself again.  Nintendo may not be in any fiscal trouble (and they won't be anytime soon, even IF NX bombs), but I'd like to see them get this right so I can get a great set of new Nintendo titles.

#14 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

I do feel burned by it, but I'll support the NX.  That said, the Big N better really go BIG for that launch because many of my friends have now moved on or have said they'll get in ONLY if Nintendo proves itself again.  Nintendo may not be in any fiscal trouble (and they won't be anytime soon, even IF NX bombs), but I'd like to see them get this right so I can get a great set of new Nintendo titles.

I think the problem Nintendo has is they are putting too much faith in the different hardware and not focusing on the games. Nintendo has of late become a sequel machine and nothing much else. Yeah games like Splatoon exist but for the most part it's the same Mario Kart, Party, 3D World, Zelda, Smash, etc. Nintendo is lacking what made them great, the originality and the crazy ideas they did before. Now with the Wii and WiiU it's but you can play it with waggle or on this giant gamepad which doesn't make the game much better if any. The ONLY game I have played where the game pad makes the game better is Xenoblade for the map.

What the NX needs to be is a down to earth gaming system. It can have it's odd peripherals but ship it with a bare bones controller.  It needs to also support the innovation of new games. Right now Nintendo can literally destroy the market if they keep releasing highly innovative and fun games like Splatoon because being an One and PS4 owner, your not going to find much creativity in gaming besides indies.

#15 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:24 PM

I think the problem Nintendo has is they are putting too much faith in the different hardware and not focusing on the games. Nintendo has of late become a sequel machine and nothing much else. Yeah games like Splatoon exist but for the most part it's the same Mario Kart, Party, 3D World, Zelda, Smash, etc. Nintendo is lacking what made them great, the originality and the crazy ideas they did before. Now with the Wii and WiiU it's but you can play it with waggle or on this giant gamepad which doesn't make the game much better if any. The ONLY game I have played where the game pad makes the game better is Xenoblade for the map.

What the NX needs to be is a down to earth gaming system. It can have it's odd peripherals but ship it with a bare bones controller.  It needs to also support the innovation of new games. Right now Nintendo can literally destroy the market if they keep releasing highly innovative and fun games like Splatoon because being an One and PS4 owner, your not going to find much creativity in gaming besides indies.

Have to disagree with you there, have you played Mario Kart 8. Sure Party, I mean all Mario Party games are the same cheap tricks mini/board game and each Zelda is vastly different as well. The Mario Galaxy and then Mario 3D World have all been incredibly inventive so don't even use that in your argument either. Way off.

I've found playing Pikmin 3 with the gamepad to be enjoyable, mainly due to the map and apps on there while play.

#16 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

Have to disagree with you there, have you played Mario Kart 8. Sure Party, I mean all Mario Party games are the same cheap tricks mini/board game and each Zelda is vastly different as well. The Mario Galaxy and then Mario 3D World have all been incredibly inventive so don't even use that in your argument either. Way off.

I've found playing Pikmin 3 with the gamepad to be enjoyable, mainly due to the map and apps on there while play.

I own Mario Kart 8, it's a great game and it's better than most games coming out but to me it's still another Mario Kart game. Hell I even own the DLC for it. I guess for me I am looking for new ip's to play. I been playing Mario games for 25 years now, and while I love them and will continue to buy them because they are great games, I also feel like I want something new out of Nintendo. Like Splatoon was something brilliant and I want to see more fresh stuff like that. They are the one of the few companies to try odd stuff like that and I want more of it.

I realize I will buy an NX, but I just want to see fresh ip's and characters. I do own most of the good WiiU games published by Nintendo and I am totally happy with the system, but seeing how awesome Splatoon was makes me want more original ideas.

#17 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

I've played all the Mario Karts, Double Dash the exception, and no sorry Mario Kart 8 is vastly innovative and fresh (track design, weapon balancing and additional content being a few of those bullet points) - while not veering too far from what makes a great MK game. I believe Mario has been pimped out to every genre, every category and all the while still being pretty f'n great in the process. A new IP doesn't sell because other than the hardcore the regular audience of said casual console goes squid kids that fire ink, nah I'll pick up Mario 3D World. That doesn't do as well as Mario so yeah of course Nintendo will produce a Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong title. It would be nice to have new IPs in the sense of the other two major companies but in the end I don't see that happening. Besides, every title that Nintendo has produced that's helmed one of their beloved franchises is quality stuff, super grade game development. New IPs review around ehh it's pretty good and the Nintendo classics that are revised for each platform and time are reviewed as excellent, don't miss out on this one.

#18 gthirst   Esper CAGiversary!   1231 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

The only reason I want to buy an NX is tradition.  My friends and I have camped out for the release of every Nintendo console relese since the GC.  I haven't touched my Wii U in almost a year.  It absolutely needs more social features and an achievement like system.  Miiverse is dumb and the stamp system is hardly appealing.  The new console also shouldn't be horrendously underpowered.

What will we actually get?  Something completely underwhelming.  Nintendo consistently fails in everything except for SOFTWARE.  The games are the most important part and are habitually excellent.  This has trailed off recently though, but every Nintendo systems has a handful of great exclusives.

#19 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:33 PM

I've played all the Mario Karts, Double Dash the exception, and no sorry Mario Kart 8 is vastly innovative and fresh (track design, weapon balancing and additional content being a few of those bullet points) - while not veering too far from what makes a great MK game. I believe Mario has been pimped out to every genre, every category and all the while still being pretty f'n great in the process. A new IP doesn't sell because other than the hardcore the regular audience of said casual console goes squid kids that fire ink, nah I'll pick up Mario 3D World. That doesn't do as well as Mario so yeah of course Nintendo will produce a Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong title. It would be nice to have new IPs in the sense of the other two major companies but in the end I don't see that happening. Besides, every title that Nintendo has produced that's helmed one of their beloved franchises is quality stuff, super grade game development. New IPs review around ehh it's pretty good and the Nintendo classics that are revised for each platform and time are reviewed as excellent, don't miss out on this one.

You should play Double Dash.  Double Dash was the freshest MK I've ever played.  Having two players on the same kart changes strategy dramatically.  The Wii version had to be the most boring for me ever.  Was entirely forgettable, IMHO.

#20 midlifecrisisMkII  

midlifecrisisMkII

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

Seems Nintendo wants in on VR.

"Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions." (via Digitimes)

The article doesn't say what the VR functions are, but, if this is true, it makes sense.  Whether it's good or bad, VR is where alot of the money is now.   Nintendo bought into the mobile game trend and, if this report is true, they want to get into VR.

#21 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2518 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:35 AM

Seems Nintendo wants in on VR.

"Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions." (via Digitimes)

The article doesn't say what the VR functions are, but, if this is true, it makes sense.  Whether it's good or bad, VR is where alot of the money is now.   Nintendo bought into the mobile game trend and, if this report is true, they want to get into VR.

Oh dear ... 

#22 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   672 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:37 AM

Could be possible with Polaris 10. Or hell, even 11 which would fit into Nintendo's theme of low power consumption hardware.  But Nintendo has already said they're turning a profit on the hardware right out of the gate. If that's true and we're talking a VR headset + a polaris gpu to power it just how much $$$ are we talking here?

#23 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22543 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:45 AM

The more I hear about the NX, the more it sounds like a joke. 

#24 SonicGamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   995 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

I'm cautiously super-optimistic about Color Splash (I put cautiously and super in there because I am actually super excited about the game, but I'm not going to be pissy if it turns out like Sucker star)

There are stickers saw a screen shot of one

#25 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4386 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

If Samsung Galaxy can do VR, why would you not think Nintendo can do something on the cheap?

#26 Masterkyo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11354 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

New Mario E3 2017

1. Bayonetta 3

2. Metroid Prime

3. Super Mario Galaxy 3

4. Mario Sunshine 2

5. Mario Party 11

6. Mario Kart 9

7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition

8. New Kirby game

9. New Yoshi game

10. Pikmin 4

11. Splatton 2

12. New Fire Emblem

13. New Donkey Kong Country

14. Super Mario Maker 2

15. Mario & Luigi's

16 . New Luigi's Mansion

17. New Animal Crossing

18. Hyrule Warriors 2

19. Mega Man Legend 3

20. New Kid Icarus

21. New Duck Hunt

22. New Wario Game

23.  Zelda

All coming out in 2017 & 2018 :)

#27 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:01 AM

Zelda, you mean The Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the WIld?

#28 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3075 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:54 AM

New Mario E3 2017

1. Bayonetta 3

2. Metroid Prime

3. Super Mario Galaxy 3

4. Mario Sunshine 2

5. Mario Party 11

6. Mario Kart 9

8. New Kirby game

9. New Yoshi game

10. Pikmin 4

11. Splatton 2

12. New Fire Emblem

14. Super Mario Maker 2

15. Mario & Luigi's

16 . New Luigi's Mansion

17. New Animal Crossing

18. Hyrule Warriors 2

19. Mega Man Legend 3

20. New Kid Icarus

21. New Duck Hunt

22. New Wario Game

23.  Zelda

So are you just covering all of your bases, so you're right, somehow?  Also, you forgot an here-to-fore unknown new IP.

#29 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2518 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:42 AM

New Mario E3 2017

1. Bayonetta 3

2. Metroid Prime

3. Super Mario Galaxy 3

4. Mario Sunshine 2

5. Mario Party 11

6. Mario Kart 9

8. New Kirby game

9. New Yoshi game

10. Pikmin 4

11. Splatton 2

12. New Fire Emblem

14. Super Mario Maker 2

15. Mario & Luigi's

16 . New Luigi's Mansion

17. New Animal Crossing

18. Hyrule Warriors 2

19. Mega Man Legend 3

20. New Kid Icarus

21. New Duck Hunt

22. New Wario Game

23.  Zelda

Sadly, that's pretty much the same lineup on the Wii U, and it didn't work.

If this is what Nintendo does, then NX will fail just like the Wii U.  It will take more than the usual Nintendo franchises to get Nintendo's console sales up.  This lineup will probably move just around the same number of units the Wii U did - ~10-15 million.  

If Nintendo wants to grow its base, it needs a whole lot more than Mario and Zelda.  The rest of that lineup's IP is old, and frankly, most of the younger players don't care.

Exciting folks like me isn't getting Nintendo anywhere.  Don't get me wrong; I want to see another Metroid and Mario Galaxy, too, but I don't think any of these can get Nintendo to be relevant among gamers younger than 25/30.  I sure hope we see more new IPs like Splatoon on NX.  

#30 matrix9280   CAGiversary! Banned   1839 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

matrix9280

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

Never change Nintendo. If that means that Nintendo dies then it can die with honor. Better than living as a slave.