Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin $15.99 PS4/X1 @ Best Buy w/ Free In-Store Pickup (GCU Required)

Plat'd on PS4 but since all my friends play on X1 I picked up DS3 there, and having DS1 digital for free with it, my OCD demands I complete the collection. Thanks OP

Meh, no stores near me have it... might just grab it from Amazon seeing it's the same price after BB shipping... Already have it on PS4, but I love me some Dark Souls and want it for Xbox One too... Hrmmm...

Off topic... I know that Steam used to (still does?) have a discount on the SotFS if you'd already bought Vanilla DS2, but if you buy that discounted version, does it over-write your Vanilla DS2 or does it add both to your Collection? I ask because I want to keep my original DS2 game and wouldn't buy SotFS if it took it away. If anyone knows this answer, thanks in advance.

So how much harder is it than BB?
I beat both and Id say about the same really. The mechanics of it are different in the flow of playing but difficulty wise they are about on the same level. I found a couple of the DLC areas to be harder than the main game though to me, but not like a major jump.

Im guessing youve never played it since youre asking but if you like BB youll like this also. Thats a damn good price too for as much content thats in it. You should like it a lot.

Hey, thanks for posting this, it's a buy price for me at $16, to get free shipping I also preordered Resident Evil 4 for the PS4 also $16 GCU.

Thanks!

So I rented DSIII and played about 6 hours.  I loved it and plan on buying that game as soon as I finish Uncharted 4.  Wondering if it is worth playing this instead before doing III.  hmmm.

It's "alternatively" $19.99 at Best buy too.
9049495.jpg

Meh, no stores near me have it... might just grab it from Amazon seeing it's the same price after BB shipping... Already have it on PS4, but I love me some Dark Souls and want it for Xbox One too... Hrmmm...

Off topic... I know that Steam used to (still does?) have a discount on the SotFS if you'd already bought Vanilla DS2, but if you buy that discounted version, does it over-write your Vanilla DS2 or does it add both to your Collection? I ask because I want to keep my original DS2 game and wouldn't buy SotFS if it took it away. If anyone knows this answer, thanks in advance.
DS2 and Scholar are 2 different games on steam, as in, they are listed as such.

This is the worst game I've spent a 150 hours on. 

Seriously though, the black sheep of the family. Soul Memory is SOOOOOOOOOO STUPID ... and enemies that no longer respawn? Dumb. 

Seriously though, the black sheep of the family. Soul Memory is SOOOOOOOOOO STUPID ... and enemies that no longer respawn? Dumb.
I do agree about the Soul Memory, I like to run low level builds and found out towards the end that I was being matched based off of the souls accrued and not my actual level.

Then join the covenant of champions and you won't have to worry about enemies despawning. I appreciate that those who are good at it, will make it through before the enemies despawn after enough kills, but if you are having trouble with an area it will eventually become easier. And those who want more of a challenge, it is there and available.

It was by far easiest. Especially if you use the bonfire tof respawned the Giant. That being said, I think it was a DLC fight against the knight in the big circular hall. Holy hell. I've platted DS1, SOTFS, and Bloodborne, and that was probably the single hardest fight for me.

Decided to sit down and finally play through Dark Souls 2.

Pretty fun, but easily the weakest of the series, even more so with the Scholar replacement of enemies.

Then join the covenant of champions and you won't have to worry about enemies despawning. I appreciate that those who are good at it, will make it through before the enemies despawn after enough kills, but if you are having trouble with an area it will eventually become easier. And those who want more of a challenge, it is there and available.
I had forgotten that enemies despawn in this one. Good to know they added a way to stop that for farming purposes ha. At least this is the only souls game that does this because I didn't like the change either.

It was by far easiest. Especially if you use the bonfire tof respawned the Giant. That being said, I think it was a DLC fight against the knight in the big circular hall. Holy hell. I've platted DS1, SOTFS, and Bloodborne, and that was probably the single hardest fight for me.
Fume Knight or Ashen King?

Mmm, maybe a little bit? They changed some stuff in Scholar so some areas are harder now than they were before, while others are easier. I find it hard to quantify the difficulty of these games, other than Dark Souls 1 post-patch being the easiest.

That said, I've been replaying this on PC and having it run at 60fps makes it significantly easier. I don't think I've died to a boss yet, and I've gotten two primal bonfires so far. I know I'm not really any better at these games than I was back when it came out on PS3. Not sure how the performance is on PS4, but I have to believe it runs better than the PS3 version did. That thing chugged.

I actually found Dark Souls 2 to be the easiest of their games.
That's actually why I'm starting with this game into the souls series. I think if it catches me like I'm hoping I'll have the urge to seek out DS1 (and be able to level up at the bonfires, lol).

bonesawisready, on 06 May 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'd say it's the hardest I've played in the series, in Scholar some areas seem unbalance, while the bosses for the most part are quite easy and were beaten on the first or second try.

The DLC areas (Poison, Ice, and Fire) seem especially hard, and with easily some of the hardest bosses I've found in the series history.

Mmm, maybe a little bit? They changed some stuff in Scholar so some areas are harder now than they were before, while others are easier. I find it hard to quantify the difficulty of these games, other than Dark Souls 1 post-patch being the easiest.

That said, I've been replaying this on PC and having it run at 60fps makes it significantly easier. I don't think I've died to a boss yet, and I've gotten two primal bonfires so far. I know I'm not really any better at these games than I was back when it came out on PS3. Not sure how the performance is on PS4, but I have to believe it runs better than the PS3 version did. That thing chugged.
PS4 Performance is quite fast and very responsive.

I think Demon Souls might be the easiest in series, but it is also my favorite due to the whole set-up of the game and how you choose your own path like a MegaMan game and how the levels played out.

PS4 Performance is quite fast and very responsive.

I think Demon Souls might be the easiest in series, but it is also my favorite due to the whole set-up of the game and how you choose your own path like a MegaMan game and how the levels played out.
I have not played Demon's since it came out, but I agree that it is my favorite in the series, for the exact reason you describe. It definitely is possible that after having experience with the other games it would just be a cakewalk now.

Must be new MSRP. Been waiting for this to drop again to add to the collection, thanks OP! Trudging through DS1 now and all I gotta say is fuck you Capra Demon and your evil dogs!

I really disliked this game when I tried it after black Friday. First off, I highly rely on my coop phantoms. The fact that I had trouble getting any help was a huge turnoff for me. I might be willing to try again at this price but after dark souls 3 Idk. I really enjoy the map layout in 1 and 3, this was the first souls game I haven't finished or liked

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to search the wiki.... it was Sir Alonne who whooped my ass. I couldn't get the timing down.
If you always roll towards his left (your right) side whenever he attacks, you're almost guaranteed to be able to get one hit in. He wiped the floor with me when I tried playing defensively, so you have to be more aggressive.

Scholar of the First Sin was definitely the weakest Souls game for me, but it also had more heart-poundingly intense boss fights than any other game--Fume Knight, Ivory King, and Sir Alonne all felt so satisfying to finally kill.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back