Doom (2016) $45 Via Newegg, all systems

zekana

CAGiversary!
I found the mp beta boring, and that's coming from someone who played a lot of Doom 1 and 2 as a kid.

Picked up PS4 Dragon Quest Heroes for $19.99 with promo code EMCEJFH82

Last edited by a moderator:
It's never a good sign when review outlets don't get review copies until the game comes out to the public. I really want this game to be good, but it could pull a Duke Nukem and shit its pants on arrival

The single player campaign will be the deciding factor. Despite the console FPS success formula being multiplayer related these days, DOOM was always about killing shitloads of NPC monsters first. Fingers crossed... thanks OP.

https://youtu.be/Ogy87-6D4jQ

Wish I could PM at BB. More I wish they sent review copies so I could have known and preordered.

The single player campaign will be the deciding factor. Despite the console FPS success formula being multiplayer related these days, DOOM was always about killing shitloads of NPC monsters first. Fingers crossed... thanks OP.
Totally agree. Doom was always best as a SP game, so I am hoping that the SP content is good. It does worry me that the DLC appears to be mainly MP only, though.

Playing the single player now.  You guys have nothing to worry about, this is fantastic.  You start the game punching demons and grabbing a shotgun.  This is a game that knows you just want to shoot and kill demons as fast as possible.  I'm absolutely loving it so far.  I haven't played very far (almost 2 hours in), but if the rest of the game is like the beginning, this is possibly the best single player FPS campaign in quite a while.

For reference, I also liked the multiplayer.  I wasn't gushing over it like I am with the campaign, but I thought it was fun in the beta.

Also, for controllers, this game gives you control over your analog stick acceleration.  You can tailor the sensitivity exactly how you like it, not just how fast the camera pans.

Basically, if you like DOOM games, you'll like this game.  It's a DOOM game in a pure form.

Wish I could PM at BB. More I wish they sent review copies so I could have known and preordered.
Yeah, I was worried about the lack of review copies as well. However, after reading a ton of first impressions from various forums and journalists, I decided to take the plunge at the last minute the other night to secure the $10 reward certificate. Very reminiscent of Wolfenstein: The New Order's release.

Bethesda stated that the reason they aren't doing review copies before the game's launch is because they consider the multiplayer an important part of the game and the servers weren't on yet.

It's a good thing that there were no pre-launch review copies issued in that case. They would've been with either:

1) No multiplayer aspects reviewed (see: Master Chief Collection).

2) With servers easily able to handle the load (see: Sim City).

3) Before Day 1 patches.

Meanwhile if you delay the review copies all that happens is some people who would have pre-ordered the game will still buy the game within a week if it's good. It's a good practice since at least now the people who buy it know the quality of the game that they will actually get, not the quality of the game in artificial settings that they will never have.

Played a little earlier. 5 gig update if you buy it physically (on xbox one). Each mode, multiplayer, campaign, snapmap come up with a dialog to "restart". Little odd but whatever.

Multiplayer took a couple of minutes to find the first match but then after that, didn't take long to get into the next.

Loaded up snapmap after multiplayer. Played a solo map modeled after e1m2 I believe. Without going back and playing e1m2 on the original Doom, you really couldn't tell it was supposed to be modeled after that map. Then I found someones custom snapmap of e1m1 using the search, and it did not at all look or feel like the original. Everything was out of scale but of course that was someones random creation, and they probably didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. You build up points when you complete the levels you play and your score goes on a leaderboard. You get to rate them. Haven't really gone into everything snapmap yet but it is a clean setup.

Campaign has not been started yet, so I have nothing to say about it yet. As others mentioned, it is already at Redbox, so give it a try first.

I see redbox already has it. Might just grab it there for the weekend and see how I like it.
After watching some of the VideoGamer.com livestream earlier, I saw this and reserved. So they can stock rentals on release, but not send review codes. Assholes. Show some faith in your fucking game.

They've already explained why they didn't send out review copies, and its been reported all over the net. Get over it.

I see redbox already has it. Might just grab it there for the weekend and see how I like it.
Thank you so much for mentioning this, I was about to buy the game but checked redbox and reserved the game and just went and picked it up. Now I can make sure it is good before buying the digital version..

And their explanation was a lie.
I think DarkZero104 mentioned some good reasons for early access reviews to be misleading or based on a different experience than the average consumer would get. There were YouTube reviews out this morning anyways, so I don't get the big deal that PCGamer's review is still in progress. The game is getting outstanding reviews, so holding back review codes is not always a sign that the game is broken and they want to sell as many copies as they can before anyone notices.

On top of that, there was like 30 minutes of gameplay footage released last week. Could you not tell from that if the game was going to be a horrible buggy broken mess at launch?

DOOM being repetitive isn't unexpected though. You shoot demons in the face and open doors, that's all you do.
lol..by that logic, every shooting game is repetitive.. anyhow, just rented doom and played the first mission and one multiplayer mission.. I dig the story..well from what i seen of the first mission..Multiplayer was pretty solid..It had an unreal tournament/ quake vibe to it but with the gore that is doom..The only thing i thought could get on peoples nerves is while i was playing team deathmatch, i grabbed some ball that turned me into a demon and proceded to wreck the other team..but well see..ima play a little more later tonight..

Single player is great in this.  I had a ball with it, and even had my wife play it and she liked it, and she hates FPS games.   I grew up playing Doom 1 and 2, Quake 2, and Wolf 3d though, and felt it all come back to me on that.

As far as reviews, I don't care for any of that either.  All I see online is people bitching they hated the beta, game is bad cause of that, yadda yadda.  Just go redbox it and see if you like it.  I didn't really expect many people here to even really try it anyway.  Seems more of a "$10 dollars or bust" kinda thing to most here.

Single player is great in this. I had a ball with it, and even had my wife play it and she liked it, and she hates FPS games. I grew up playing Doom 1 and 2, Quake 2, and Wolf 3d though, and felt it all come back to me on that.

As far as reviews, I don't care for any of that either. All I see online is people bitching they hated the beta, game is bad cause of that, yadda yadda. Just go redbox it and see if you like it. I didn't really expect many people here to even really try it anyway. Seems more of a "$10 dollars or bust" kinda thing to most here.
That cinches it for me. I grew up on those games too and I felt like I got burned on Doom 3. Glad that they went back to basics. I hope they have the original theme in there somewhere.

Lots of things I like, other things seem mediocre. I don't think I can pull the trigger at 45 especially with overwatch soon which I think is gonna take up alot of my time. Def gonna keep an eye out in the future for it. 

Having a hard time finding matches. So expect long wait times if you aren't in a party with friends. (edit - still waiting for 30+ minutes now. People on gamefaqs.com are saying the same)

And to answer the question above, anything to do with multiplayer/snapmap, is all online. But if you are online, you can play snapmap maps that are made for solo play (enemies basically are your bots that are placed throughout the maps).

Doom is awesome. Haven't stayed up past midnight playing games in years. I have had no problems finding matched solo or with friends on ps4. I highly recommend this game for anyone who grew up playing doom,quake or duke nukem3d.

Any chance of getting Walmart to PM this (even if YMMV)?
Not likely, since the Newegg deal requires a promo code.

One other question, is the snapmap mode offline SP, or does it require an online connection to play that mode? Also still trying to figure out if the game has offline MP with bots.

Not likely, since the Newegg deal requires a promo code.

One other question, is the snapmap mode offline SP, or does it require an online connection to play that mode? Also still trying to figure out if the game has offline MP with bots.
Maybe a visual will answer your question since you didn't read my last response...

pzMJeeH.jpg

Having a hard time finding matches. So expect long wait times if you aren't in a party with friends. (edit - still waiting for 30+ minutes now. People on gamefaqs.com are saying the same)

And to answer the question above, anything to do with multiplayer/snapmap, is all online. But if you are online, you can play snapmap maps that are made for solo play (enemies basically are your bots that are placed throughout the maps).
What console and which playlist are you in? I'm on Xbox and either choose Deathmatch or Team Objective and I get matched rather quickly. You gotta take into consideration that its not the most popular game rn esp since Uncharted 4 and Overwatch are both released so close to Doom.

What console and which playlist are you in? I'm on Xbox and either choose Deathmatch or Team Objective and I get matched rather quickly. You gotta take into consideration that its not the most popular game rn esp since Uncharted 4 and Overwatch are both released so close to Doom.
I played on xbone and matchmaking did take a long time. At times just a few min while others closer to ten. I don't think it has anything to do with not enough people being on but more just matchmaking issues in general.

Again most of us are used to duty just randomly throwing us in games. not sure if doom's matchmaking is based on rank.

bread's done
Back