Amazon putting a stop to price adjustments after purchase

lol.

The last time I asked for a price adjustment, the rep thought I asked for a return and refund and did it without my confirmation.

This seems really dumb... especially since most stores match their own price drops after purchase but I guess it must be a pretty big deal if Amazon is doing it. 

Then again, I didn't realize these were actually services that check prices for you. Beyond losing money on the sale, Amazon is probably facing higher server/bandwidth costs. Not trying to defend them but it's not too surprising that they stop something that might be costing them too much money... they're not exactly raking it in. 

Lmao at the tags for this thread. Amazon seriously continues to come up with reasons not to do business with them. My gaming and movie buying habits have already shifted to BB and most other items I use their website for PM's. Now, they've even begun giving away Prime benefits such as the 20% discounts after a major game releases to the general public. They've been slowly boiling the frog for years now and I think it was about time people started hopping out of the pot.

Lmao at the tags for this thread. Amazon seriously continues to come up with reasons not to do business with them. My gaming and movie buying habits have already shifted to BB and most other items I use their website for PM's. Now, they've even begun giving away Prime benefits such as the 20% discounts after a major game releases to the general public. They've been slowly boiling the frog for years now and I think it was about time people started hopping out of the pot.
where do you see this 20% off games

It's an exclusive perk for annual and monthly ($10.99/month) Prime subscribers. You get 20% off of pre-orders and certain newly released games.
They said

Now, they've even begun giving away Prime benefits such as the 20% discounts after a major game releases to the general public.

im mostly asking where you do see the 20% off discount cause i dont *unless you have prime

They said

Now, they've even begun giving away Prime benefits such as the 20% discounts after a major game releases to the general public.

im mostly asking where you do see the 20% off discount cause i dont *unless you have prime
I didn't see the 20% discount when looking at pre-order and newly released games without signing in. I have a Prime monthly sub and it shows the 20% off on the page of said games and on the last page during checkout.

General%20Screenshot.png

Amazon has personified the "too big to fail" mentality. Some of the most anti-consumer practices on the planet they do. A $50 minimum for free shipping, returns are marked against you and if you have too many, they blacklist you, no PMing, no price adjustments, no good sales. They're worse than Walmart in this and they don't give a f.

Amazon has personified the "too big to fail" mentality. Some of the most anti-consumer practices on the planet they do. A $50 minimum for free shipping, returns are marked against you and if you have too many, they blacklist you, no PMing, no price adjustments, no good sales. They're worse than Walmart in this and they don't give a f.
They have a limit on returns? What are they TRU? :lol:

It's really sad what Amazon has become, the shipping increase to $50 was the last straw for me. I use them sometimes at Christmas when they price match other places, but even that is dying. I rather give my money to Target and with the Red Card I get 5% back, free shipping, and 120 days to return things. Plus I can return in a store which is easier at times.

Amazon is getting to the point where they need to start showing more of a profit for investors. Regardless of what people think, they operate on some thin profit margins (or losses even) and have been doing so for the last decade, which isn't a good long run business model.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=AMZN+Income+Statement&annual

Compare them to some other retailers like GS and BBY, who are turning more profit on lower revenues.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=GME+Income+Statement&annual

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=BBY+Income+Statement&annual

I'm not a fan of these changes but fact remains, their CS is way better than any other retailers. I might buy more games from BBY these days but I've had much better experience with their CS than I have with BBY. I can get salty about them taking away benefits but they still have their advantages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just going to return from now on lol im getting ny monies worth especially when they lower prices say 3 days later for 4 dollars cheaper smh

Amazon is getting to the point where they need to start showing more of a profit for investors. Regardless of what people think, they operate on some thin profit margins (or losses even) and have been doing so for the last decade, which isn't a good long run business model.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=AMZN+Income+Statement&annual

Compare them to some other retailers like GS and BBY, who are turning more profit on lower revenues.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=GME+Income+Statement&annual

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=BBY+Income+Statement&annual

I'm not a fan of these changes but fact remains, their CS is way better than any other retailers. I might buy more games from BBY these days but I've had much better experience with their CS than I have with BBY. I can get salty about them taking away benefits but they still have their advantages.
I can't think of how they can do price adjustment wit their "market" pricing, which changes in minutes or hours. It will be a CS nightmare with people calling in every minutes when there is a price change.

Amazon said other companies' profit margin is their opportunities. So, they can win business only if they have thinner profit margin with lower operation cost (no high cost store, no retail CS hiring, find the cheapest place for their warehouse and etc).

They have been working that way since from the beginning and that strategy probably contribute partly or fully to closing of many retail stores.

I'd rather to buy from local stores if price isn't that much difference.

I just ran into this and was coming here to see if anybody has talked about it. I bought a Kindle Fire for my wife not even a week ago. And yesterday, I saw it was $10 cheaper. I figured I'd take a shot in chat, with the defense "But can't I just return it and rebuy at the lower price?" ready to go in my backpocket.

Shockingly...the representative actually advised me to do that. He told me that because of this policy, they can't price match or guarantee prices after purchase. I asked "Isn't that a tremendous waste of Amazon's time and resources?" Again, he completely agreed and told me s simiilar situation happened to him just this past week (could be part of the script, but who knows).

I know Amazon got rid of their big price guarantee policy years ago...but I just don't get not matching while the return window is still open. I guess you're counting on most people just not going through the trouble of returning and rebuying. But it just seems like the ill will that this is going to generate would outweigh any dollars lost by actually providing reasonable service.

And I agree, Amazon's service has taken a huge drop the past few years. It is the same thing that happened to Walmart. Once they have everybody's business, they stop caring. It's sad.

I just ran into this and was coming here to see if anybody has talked about it. I bought a Kindle Fire for my wife not even a week ago. And yesterday, I saw it was $10 cheaper. I figured I'd take a shot in chat, with the defense "But can't I just return it and rebuy at the lower price?" ready to go in my backpocket.

Shockingly...the representative actually advised me to do that. He told me that because of this policy, they can't price match or guarantee prices after purchase. I asked "Isn't that a tremendous waste of Amazon's time and resources?" Again, he completely agreed and told me s simiilar situation happened to him just this past week (could be part of the script, but who knows).

I know Amazon got rid of their big price guarantee policy years ago...but I just don't get not matching while the return window is still open. I guess you're counting on most people just not going through the trouble of returning and rebuying. But it just seems like the ill will that this is going to generate would outweigh any dollars lost by actually providing reasonable service.

And I agree, Amazon's service has taken a huge drop the past few years. It is the same thing that happened to Walmart. Once they have everybody's business, they stop caring. It's sad.
I still find amazon better than any online retailer. I get free returns plus amazon video and 20% off new games. For 50 that I pay its a great deal!

I still find amazon better than any online retailer. I get free returns plus amazon video and 20% off new games. For 50 that I pay its a great deal!
Well, sure. They're still good for specific purposes. I just don't think they're untouchable in the way that they used to be.

I guess you're counting on most people just not going through the trouble of returning and rebuying. But it just seems like the ill will that this is going to generate would outweigh any dollars lost by actually providing reasonable service.
This. Most people won't go through the hassle to save $5-10. If it's $20+ I can see them doing it. But what amazon may not realize is once a person is burned by this they may lower their purchasing habits on amazon. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me kind of thing.

I have Prime but 90% of my gaming and other electronic business goes to Best Buy because they at least price match themselves during the return window and price match all the other big places when you go to buy an item. I see very little keeping me at amazon unless they are the cheapest and BBY doesn't sell it.

Is this referring to people bitching to them if they buy something then a few days later it goes down by like 5 bucks? If so who the fuck cares. I realize what this site is called but if saving a couple bucks means that much to you to waste time ragging on someone to get the difference then maybe you shouldn't have bought whatever it was in the first place? Like someone else said, if it's like 20 bucks or more difference I can see your point to an extent (personally unless that price drop is literally the next day after I buy something I just grumble and accept that it was poor timing on my part). Don't blame Amazon, they never force any of us to buy anything from them at a certain date at a certain price. It must be tiring and expensive to put up with a bunch of whiners for wanting literally a dollar or two back.

Amazon prices fluctuate like every hour. I numally don't adjust unless it more than  $5 within the week. $20 within two weeks and after who cares.

bread's done
Back