Bloodborne - $14.99 + free shipping. eBay and Target.

Does Bloodborne actually have a story/campaign?  Or is it really just about the tactical fight from enemy to enemy?

I'm interested in this game, but it's often compared with Dark Souls and I know that I would never like that kind of game.  Just don't have the patience or the time.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Bloodborne actually have a story/campaign? Or is it really just about the tactical fight from enemy to enemy?

I'm interested in this game, but it's often compared with Dark Souls and I know that I would never like that kind of game. Just don't have the patience or the time.
It is quite literally Dark Souls with faster combat. Creator of BB is the creator of DS.

Thanks - not game for me, then.
If it's DS's difficulty that's scaring you away, don't worry. Bloodborne is only a fraction as difficult since the much faster speed makes combat less cat-and-mouse tactical and more all out offensive. Plus the atmosphere is nicer and the arsenal of weapons is more diverse that that of Dark Souls - especially if you count DLC weapons. BB is hands down one of, if not THE definitive PS4 games

I've heard the opposite, that this game can be as tough as the DS games. I've always been interested in it (love the atmosphere) but really dislike the souls games. I'd hate to buy it only to shelf it like it did DS

If the combat is more forgiving, I could definitely see myself getting into it. The lack of any kind of shield defense is another thing that worries me.

I've heard the opposite, that this game can be as tough as the DS games. I've always been interested in it (love the atmosphere) but really dislike the souls games. I'd hate to buy it only to shelf it like it did DS

If the combat is more forgiving, I could definitely see myself getting into it. The lack of any kind of shield defense is another thing that worries me.
I really like Bloodborne but for my personal tastes the combat took much longer to get adjusted to. That's mainly because playing Demon/Dark Souls prior had made me very reliant on shields.

I do agree Bloodborne is easier utlimately.

I really like Bloodborne but for my personal tastes the combat took much longer to get adjusted to. That's mainly because playing Demon/Dark Souls prior had made me very reliant on shields.

I do agree Bloodborne is easier utlimately.
I dunno I breezed through DS2 & DS3. 100% both. Bloodborne was more difficult to me. The hyper aggressive enemies & bosses. It's a steal @ $15 though.

I played Demon Souls for about an hour before I decided it isn't for me - and it wasn't the combat, it was the lack of direction and purpose that did me in. Bloodborne is much better structured. You will die, particularly early on, but I found the atmosphere and story fascinating. I ended up a bit over 60 hours on my playthrough, and spent a bit of time on the Chalice Dungeons (which are entirely optional).

For $15 I'd recommend giving it a try. Give it a few hours - at least find the first boss or two - and see what you think. If you get stuck, you can grind levels to make it easier. I think most people quite within the first few hours as that's where the difficulty is. It takes some time to learn the game mechanics.

I dunno I breezed through DS2 & DS3. 100% both. Bloodborne was more difficult to me. The hyper aggressive enemies & bosses. It's a steal @ $15 though.
Have you played Demons and DS1? DS3 is the easiest game in the series by far in my opinion, I haven't gone back to DS2 yet.

Have you played Demons and DS1? DS3 is the easiest game in the series by far in my opinion, I haven't gone back to DS2 yet.
Yeah I have both. Demon's Souls was hard, but that was years ago. I wonder if it holds up today. DS1 was the hardest out of all of them IMO. Agreed DS3 was by far the easiest (or did we just get better?). Still a ton of fun though.

Don't really care for the hoity toity nature of the fans of these games.

I don't like that you cant pause the game or have a map either.

Yeah I have both. Demon's Souls was hard, but that was years ago. I wonder if it holds up today. DS1 was the hardest out of all of them IMO. Agreed DS3 was by far the easiest (or did we just get better?). Still a ton of fun though.
I actually just finished up a Demon's Souls run not that long ago, still holds up pretty well. I'm about to go into Blightown in DS1. I'm working my way through the entire series this year.

I actually just finished up a Demon's Souls run not that long ago, still holds up pretty well. I'm about to go into Blightown in DS1. I'm working my way through the entire series this year.
Oh cool. I need to go back and replay it. A full souls run. That sounds fun.

Man the lack of a shield will have you playing in a new satisfying way. Bloodborne was my first in the genre and found I had a lot harder time with the Souls series in DS3- so slooowwww.

I played Demon Souls for about an hour before I decided it isn't for me - and it wasn't the combat, it was the lack of direction and purpose that did me in.
That's crazy, cause I would argue that Demon's is the most obviously structured of any of the games in the series. The fact that each world follows the old Mario formula of 1-1, 1-2, etc makes progressing through the game a breeze. Whereas you could very easily get lost in Dark Souls and Bloodborne because there's no real guiding hand telling you where to go. It's still a tough game to go back to now if you've played them all because there's too many limitations put on the player.

On topic:

Bloodborne is as close to perfect that a game can get. Worth every dime I paid at launch, and its DLC is the greatest expansion to a game I've ever played. $15 is a damn steal.

Yup, this is exactly what I've heard about this game. Every podcast/review I've listened to/read indicate the game shares strong similarities with the Dark Souls games (which makes sense if it's true that the DS creator made this game), and that you'll die A LOT.

I've also heard it's more offense/faster than DS, but that's a comparison that doesn't mean much given how slow DS seems to play. It[s like telling someone to pick between a tortoise and a snail ... I hear the game looks pretty but I've come to realize graphical fidelity just doesn't carry a game unless I like the kind of gameplay it is, and I'm doubtful I will here.

Someone mentioned "grinding," and that is a huge turnoff for me. I just don't enjoy doing that anymore.

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'm passing on it. I'm hoping for Batman Arkham Knight to come back down to $14.99 (missed it last time), and excited that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to PS4 this year!

Really you guys? Damn. On my very first playthrough of Bloodborne, I dies maybe 10 times tops (and 3 of those times were to Rom) and since I've been playing Dark Souls 3, I dies more times than that before I got to the 3rd boss. On a difficulty scale, I'd personally rate DS3 a 10 and BB maybe a 4. It's crazy to hear these conflicting opinions. I guess it's whether you prefer the fast and frenetic playstyle of BB or the calculating playstyle of DS. I personally much rather have the fast and crazy gameplay, but to each their own 

That's crazy, cause I would argue that Demon's is the most obviously structured of any of the games in the series.
I would guess it has more to do with how the game introduces you to the world. Bloodborne has some mystery to it that encourages exploration. Demon's Souls is just there.

bread's done
Back