- - - - -

What is the MOST you would pay for a Switch? [POLL]

Poll: What is the MOST you would pay for a Switch? [POLL]

What is the MOST you would pay for a Switch?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:10 AM

The number 1 rule about buying anything, it is out of date as soon as you walk out of the store with it.

I'd say it's out of date as soon as it's produced. :)

#32 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2518 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

The number 1 rule about buying anything, it is out of date as soon as you walk out of the store with it.

I'd say it's out of date as soon as it's produced. :)

Well, yeah, but come on, there's out-of-date and then there's future-proofing.   When PlayStation and Xbox launch their home consoles, they shoot for cutting edge so that they're systems won't be tremendously out-of-date and are the most powerful home consoles when they're out.  It's how the games look better over time.

By out-of-date, I mean the Switch's specs will be considerably behind both PS4 and Xbone - two consoles that have been out for 3-4 years - when it comes out in March.  That could be a problem.

We're not arguing semantics here, I think we all know what we mean when we say it's out-of-date.  Nintendo hasn't been interested in future proofing their systems at all since Gamecube.  It could be a big problem or it could be big advantage.  We'll see.

#33 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

Last I knew consoles played games, not specs. The Wii was 'out dated' and still sound crazy amounts of games. People love Mario and Zelda and Animal Corssing and Pokemon, plus if Nintendo gets their ass moving Metriod and F-Zero. The first party games will sell the system.

#34 tonyvx  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

I posted this in the Switch pre-order thread, but just a heads up: Best Buy has added the Switch SKU (#5670100) to their pricing system at $249.99. Not a 100% confirmation obviously, but it's a pretty safe bet that's the price.

#35 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

I posted this in the Switch pre-order thread, but just a heads up: Best Buy has added the Switch SKU (#5670100) to their pricing system at $249.99. Not a 100% confirmation obviously, but it's a pretty safe bet that's the price.

Given that it's basically a rebranded Nvidia Shield Tablet with a dock and controller, that seems quite fair. I guess we'll find out more at the events on Thursday and Friday.

If it's $250, then it's a definite day one purchase for me.

#36 tonyvx  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

Given that it's basically a rebranded Nvidia Shield Tablet with a dock and controller, that seems quite fair. I guess we'll find out more at the events on Thursday and Friday.

If it's $250, then it's a definite day one purchase for me.

At that price I'm just hoping to secure a pre-order, it's going to be madness.

#37 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2518 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

Last I knew consoles played games, not specs. The Wii was 'out dated' and still sound crazy amounts of games. People love Mario and Zelda and Animal Corssing and Pokemon, plus if Nintendo gets their ass moving Metriod and F-Zero. The first party games will sell the system.

The Wii was perfect timing - it was before mobile games and smartphones took shape, and had the great benefit of being incredibly intuitive for non-gamers.  That said, the Wii burned out software-wise a few years in when it became clear the system would just be inundated with a load of shovel-ware.  The AAA games never came to it, and even EA pretty much abandoned it.  

I personally despised the Wii.  I have one and a lot of games - mostly all just the Nintendo games - but I absolutely hate the motion controls; I played all but 2-3 hrs of Skyward Sword and never came back.  Thankfully, I have a classic controller so games like NMH2 can be played.

What appeals to me the most about the Switch is that Nintendo appears to be *finally* calling it semi-quits on the motion-garbage and the dual-screen gimmick.  Hopefully, this translates to more traditional games.  

WHEN I get a Switch (it almost assuredly will NOT be Day 1 - I am taking a wait-and-see on this), I will be picking up that pro controller.

#38 Brad Bishop   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   339 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Brad Bishop

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

If they decide to go the VC route with the Switch, which I think that they have, I really wish they'd just release all of the current VC that they have already released on the Wii/Wii U onto it rather than doing the weekly VC trickle deal.

My thought is that if you've already purchased SMB on Wii, and then waited until it showed up again on the Wii U, that you shouldn't have to wait, yet again, for it to show up some random week on the Switch.

The process should be: Pay some fee (or not) to transfer all of your VC games to the Switch. Done.

#39 matrix9280   CAGiversary! Banned   1839 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

matrix9280

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

I have a feeling that Nintendo is gonna cancel the Wii U Zelda. If that happens I wouldn't pay 2 dollars and 49 cents for Nintendo Switch.

#40 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2518 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

I have a feeling that Nintendo is gonna cancel the Wii U Zelda. If that happens I wouldn't pay 2 dollars and 49 cents for Nintendo Switch.

There's no way they'll do that.  They'll release it quietly for the Wii U, just like they did for the Gamecube.  Fact is the older version usually doesn't sell well anyway.  Most consumers want the newer, shinier version, and in this case, the Switch version might have genuine advantages.  I remember seeing plenty of copies of the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess just sitting on BBY and Target shelves for months on end.

#41 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22543 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:27 AM

Seems like it's a double edged sword... do you cancel the Wii U release and hope it pushes Switch sales or do you release the Wii U version b/c it's a guaranteed 2-3 million copies sold (and that's a very conservative number)? 

At the same time, it's seems like the game simply seems optimized for the Switch... most every impression I've read mentioned something like 'the stuttering/slowdown of the Wii U copy is gone'. 

#42 The Orange Alert  

The Orange Alert

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

I'm predicting a $249.99 price, but I'm willing to go all the way up to $349.99. It's only Gamestop credit anyway, easy enough to make it all back. 

#43 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

The Wii was perfect timing - it was before mobile games and smartphones took shape, and had the great benefit of being incredibly intuitive for non-gamers.  That said, the Wii burned out software-wise a few years in when it became clear the system would just be inundated with a load of shovel-ware.  The AAA games never came to it, and even EA pretty much abandoned it.  

I personally despised the Wii.  I have one and a lot of games - mostly all just the Nintendo games - but I absolutely hate the motion controls; I played all but 2-3 hrs of Skyward Sword and never came back.  Thankfully, I have a classic controller so games like NMH2 can be played.

What appeals to me the most about the Switch is that Nintendo appears to be *finally* calling it semi-quits on the motion-garbage and the dual-screen gimmick.  Hopefully, this translates to more traditional games.  

WHEN I get a Switch (it almost assuredly will NOT be Day 1 - I am taking a wait-and-see on this), I will be picking up that pro controller.

I have tried to play DS games, the control are uselessly complicated when Nintendo thought they were making them simple.  So happy the 3DS ditched that garbage and has the AAA titles to back it up. I just want Nintendo to make a lot of great games for the Switch, Fuck the 3rd parties. The 3DS is a few third parties, a bunch of Japanese RPGs and Nintendo games. There aren't sport games or shooting games on it really and it still sells well.

I never understood the first day buy on tech. The only tech I have ever bought day one was the GBA because I really needed an upgrade from my old school. Wait for the games, something the Wii U people should know really well.

#44 matrix9280   CAGiversary! Banned   1839 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

matrix9280

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

So glad to be dead wrong. Switch is still shit tho.

#45 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2150 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

it's $299.99

#46 panasonic   Joanna Dark CAGiversary!   4802 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:29 AM

you guys see the controller is $80 without the stand thing that holds them. $110 for them together.  INSANE they clearly trying to make bank on the controllers by people losing and breaking those little things.

#47 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:31 AM

Damn capitalist!!!!^

But yeah the pricing is shit, the 'launch' is shit, that presentation was shit.

Everything is not awesome, everything is shit!

#48 panasonic   Joanna Dark CAGiversary!   4802 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

Damn capitalist!!!!^

But yeah the pricing is shit, the 'launch' is shit, that presentation was shit.

Everything is not awesome, everything is shit!

is Zelda the only launch title? I mean its a good launch title but clearly N64 throwback. carts and only 1 big title at launch. 

#49 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:07 AM

is Zelda the only launch title? I mean its a good launch title but clearly N64 throwback. carts and only 1 big title at launch. 

That isn't a question you should have to ask 6 weeks before launching a new system. :lol:

I think it's that and some stupid motion bullshit games where you throw your hands around like you are hailing a cab in a thunderstorm.

#50 panasonic   Joanna Dark CAGiversary!   4802 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

That isn't a question you should have to ask 6 weeks before launching a new system. :lol:

I think it's that and some stupid motion bullshit games where you throw your hands around like you are hailing a cab in a thunderstorm.

From one perspective I think they are holding information about games until E3. However a platform launch is WAY bigger than E3, and they should have came out with everything for hype. Where was Retro's game? 

#51 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2518 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

I still can't believe they're bringing the motion controls back.  Wow.  Everything people on podcasts have said they want Nintendo to abandon the Big N just threw back at their face ... with even MORE gimmicky games.  Again, wow.  Well, at least no one will be surprised when the Switch falls flat and stores can't get rid of them.

I can't wait til all those pathetic scalpers are stuck with systems they can't resell :-)

#52 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9330 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

Exactly, this isn't the time to hold back. Zelda is a launch title, but there should have been Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 1 and some other ports for launch titles from Nintendo. Some shocking games, like a new F-Zero for release something this year. A tease of Metriod, even if it won't come out until 2022. Just hype the system up! Instead they showed us that the overpriced controller shakes when ice is dropped into your glass. Like really? Does the controller get cold or hot near fire and I miss that because that would be neat. But the teaser trailer in the fall showed I thought Nintendo was growing up and instead this is a Wii U two with lame uses for the WiiMotes (now with a new name and higher price!) The DS games are unplayable now because the controls suck on it. The extra screen and touch screen Nintendo tries too much on. The 3DS knows just to ignore the second screen unless it's needed, that was smart. Switch feels like Nintendo is still trying to prove the WiiMotes are cool and the wave of the future when they aren't. It's nice to have them for a game but not every game needs them.

Hell, now that I think about it, you want to push controllers and systems, port a Smash Bros, Super Smash Brother Mega Melee, and have it come out at launch instead of Mario Kart 8.

And I'm not against the WiiMotes, they are just overused. Nintendo seems to make games around the silly controllers instead of letting the controllers enhance the games.