- - - - -

Zelda Breath of the Wild - gameplay discussion

#1 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8013 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

I was surprised to see there was no topic in which to discuss Zelda, the game. 

Please use spoiler tags when discussing anything outside the basic gameplay skeleton; or stuff people might want to be pleasantly surprised with experiencing.  That way people can enjoy this thread and participate without fear of getting spoiled. 

Please also understand this thread will likely be full of minor spoilers.

#2 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3408 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

At the end of the game you find out that Zelda is actually Link so all those times you mom/girlfriend said Zelda was the best hero they were right. 

Also the old man is actually some kind of pedo that fucks bearsBreath_7b7314_5949828.gif

#3 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8013 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

I'm up to 31 shrines completed now.  Just been going around the world doing shrines, unlocking towers, and occasionally finding Korok seeds.   Trying to get those heart containers and stamina up since there's so many huge, tough beasts out there in the world.  Still haven't started the first dungeon yet but will probably complete that today. 

#4 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3408 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

I am opening the whole map currently and just found Zora's domain no idea if I will complete it or continue opening the entire map up. 

#5 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8013 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Yeah dude, same here.  We're on the same pace lol.  You know there's just always gotta be another shrine around the corner! 

It took some real work to get my most recent towers opened up too.  So much so that I haven't gone for the last few yet.  Especially when you see the corresponding shrines start to ramp up in difficulty. 

#6 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3408 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

I agree, I think when I open up all of the towers I am going to make a run for Hyrule castle for weapons and armor then hit most of the towers and see if I can map out the shrines and look for memories. 

#7 Daisydog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1152 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, the Nintendo part of this forum gets very little traffic.

I've only had a few hours to play but love what I've seen so far. I'm mostly just wandering around trying to learn the controls (I keep accidentally throwing my weapons :lol:) But now I have bombs so I'll be using those more than anything.

What controller are you guys using? I'm playing on the WiiU and have been using the gamepad. But I noticed nothing comes up on the screen so I'll probably change to the pro controller.

Also, are you guys using the amiibos? Here's a page that details what each one does https://www.vg247.co...-to-use-amiibo/, but I'm not too far into the game so I don't know what's really helpful.

I already have Ganon and Wolf Link but they're still in their boxes so I guess I'm going to have to open them up :whee:

and I see Walmart has Ocarina and 8-Bit Link on clearance right now. Brickseek says a nearby store has a couple of each for $6 so I'll probably try and get those.

Here's the search if you guys want to check Walmart for yourselves:

http://brickseek.com...entory-checker/

54611195 Ocarina Link
54611189 Link 8-Bit

#8 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3408 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

I am using pro controller it is fantastic I feel. Took the system on the train prior to work love tabletop + pro contoller set up. 

Just now finished first dungeon (zora) it was pretty awesome and quite short  I felt. I feel if I would have done it later it wouldn't have been as bad then again people are already speed running the game, 

Anyway back to looking for towers,

#9 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

I know I'm supposed to go to Zora's Domain or whatever the first dungeon is called, but I'm too busy exploring the world and getting weapons that I probably shouldn't have at this stage in the game. Also I'm too busy trying to catch

Spoiler

I think I'll need to get some more stamina before I can actually do it since she

Spoiler

#10 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

Considering I haven't even gotten like half way in Zelda Wind Waker HD - so many games right now -, yeah I'll be picking this one up later... for my Wii U.

#11 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40067 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

I'm really liking it. Definitely something special. The only negative about it to me is the destructible weapons. Weapons break too quickly and the mechanic doesn't really add anything of value to the game. Yeah, if your weapons break there's probably another one nearby, but if that's the case why have it break at all?

Other than that though, it's great.

#12 DurbanBrown   to the MOON CAGiversary!   1642 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

DurbanBrown

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

I'll be getting this tomorrow on WII U, but I prob wont have time to really get into it till the weekend though. I'm pretty pumped to start playing this game.

#13 Snake2715   Gotta Have Your Toys... CAGiversary!   8551 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Considering I haven't even gotten like half way in Zelda Wind Waker HD - so many games right now -, yeah I'll be picking this one up later... for my Wii U.

Weird as I dont normally say this but drop the other stuff and grab this. Its very worth it and will likely be easier to finish given its quality.

#14 tonyvx  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

First off, if anyone has the SSB Link amiibo, I would recommend NOT using it. All the others just give you some random goodies

Spoiler
but what the SSB Link amiibo gives you is real dumb, in a way that it's way too good of a thing and spoils one of the game's mechanics.
Spoiler

Right now I've completed 60 shrines or so, collected all of the memories except for one last storyline-based memory, and completed 3 divine beasts. Just have the flying one left. I even went into Hyrule Castle to explore and collect stuff, that is super fun and I'd highly recommend it! You can be real stealthy and collect some really sweet gear. Particularly

Spoiler

I'm having so much fun. I can't sing this game's praises enough, I am constantly grinning ear to ear playing it. While the gameplay is amazing, I really love how the story unfolds as well. I figured the story was gonna be virtually non-existent because of open-world, but I'm really happy I'm wrong. Finding memories is so rewarding, and this game has some of the best Zelda characterization to date. Voice acting isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, either.

Has anyone had any encounters with the dragons flying around yet? I see them all the time, and I shot one once, but I missed. I wanna fight a dragon!

#15 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:50 AM

I can't seem to find where the shrines to bring old man for the paraglide

I found one , I used the right stick scope but I can't spot the others

Are they close to the tower? What should I look for

#16 icyjones   I Think I Have A Problem. CAGiversary!   366 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

Is there a quick way to drop items? I am currently just going into inventory to do it, but it seems like there should be a more efficient way.

Also, if any kind sole wants to pick up an extra OoT Link or Toon Link/Zelda pack amiibo, I will gladly pay for them. Late to the Amiibo game, and all out around me. I could also trade the Link SB one.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#17 DurbanBrown   to the MOON CAGiversary!   1642 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

DurbanBrown

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

I can't seem to find where the shrines to bring old man for the paraglide

I found one , I used the right stick scope but I can't spot the others

Are they close to the tower? What should I look for

I just started last night, but I found them all from the top of the tower. Just look around and look for the red fire... a couple of them are higher up in the mountains a little.

#18 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

By the way

IF YOUR CONTROLLER LOSES ..well CONTROL.., like link might walk randomly or non responsive at all and then move again , you might get prompt to sync L+R but first remove the joycon, press a little button on the inner track and then resync

I just started last night, but I found them all from the top of the tower. Just look around and look for the red fire... a couple of them are higher up in the mountains a little.

Thx just found earlier :)

#19 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8013 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'm having a fun time going around the world blind and doing as much as I can by myself.  I was doing really well not looking up any clues, hints, or spoilers until yesterday.   Then I caved and looking up requirements for Master Sword and got that.  Also looked up a hint to get through the Lost Woods.  I accidentally stumbled upon the way to quick-kill Guardians too and spent a whole night farming them for the parts used for currency. 

I think I'm up to 49 shrines now.  Only got stuck on one and that was a simple oversight.  Seriously who did all of Vah Ruta without looking anything up?  I actually trudged through it myself without cheating.  Just started opening the Goron dungeon now.   It's getting harder and harder to not look things up online so I'm just trying to go to the new areas I haven't been to yet.

#20 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:45 AM

Zelda was meant for the secrets to be shared, and I am not trying to sound mystical

I mean back in 1985 there was no Nintendo game power guide weekly code TV show on Saturday tv, so "nerdS" helped each other out and in a sense it was like magic "(the card game") in solitaire form, but everyone had the same deck so you could impress the other people who thought that they actually ruled Hyrule back then (jk lol) if they had the truth force

But I agree, the step by step guides are like game genie, just with out the heck software/flash hw

#21 DoctorZ  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:42 AM

2nd day playing this with no power at my house completely tablet mode. I've haven't notice any fps drops or anything.

This game truly makes the switch an awesome console.

#22 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

I'm having a fun time going around the world blind and doing as much as I can by myself.  I was doing really well not looking up any clues, hints, or spoilers until yesterday.   Then I caved and looking up requirements for Master Sword and got that.  Also looked up a hint to get through the Lost Woods.  I accidentally stumbled upon the way to quick-kill Guardians too and spent a whole night farming them for the parts used for currency. 

I think I'm up to 49 shrines now.  Only got stuck on one and that was a simple oversight.  Seriously who did all of Vah Ruta without looking anything up?  I actually trudged through it myself without cheating.  Just started opening the Goron dungeon now.   It's getting harder and harder to not look things up online so I'm just trying to go to the new areas I haven't been to yet.

I did Vah Ruta without looking anything up as well. I actually haven't looked anything up except the suggested order for the Divine Beasts and even that had many different opinions. Oh, I did stumble upon how to get the

Spoiler
but that's it for outside help after quite a few shrines. Wish there was a stat screen in the game so I could see how many I've done and my time played. I know I can check the in the WiiU Home menu for time played but that won't be accurate since I've left the game idle for a while a few times then reloaded the last save.

I did not expect to be so engrossed in this game especially after my extreme disappointment with Skyward Sword. I normally hate puzzles but I have really enjoyed figuring out the Shrines and Vah Ruta (the only Divine Beast I've done after many hours of play). The only Shrines that are kind of irritating are the ones requiring motion control. Exploring the world is very enjoyable as well since there could always be a useful item or Shrine around the next corner.

I would go as far as to say BotW is the pinnacle of open world games up to this point. The only bad thing I can really find is the inconsistent performance on WiiU. I do also think some weapons break too easily but I can appreciate what they were going for with the inventory management. Don't think anything is going to top this for my GOTY.

#23 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

I agree
I am very happy with leaving Sony for Nintendo finally
I felt it was happening when I Hated PS4 from launch and never warmed to It long since afterwards and when I saw Wii U I was like "they're on to something, they'll have me by next console"
lo and behold, to my surprise, one was already released ! Lol

#24 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8013 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

I'm on the back stretch of the game now and hands down the most annoying thing is the Blood Moon cinematic interruption.   Once you start doing things like waiting for morning or noon at campfires they happen all the time.   The game stalls out for what feels like 30-45sec while you wait for loading. 

#25 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:11 AM

I keep getting sidetracked in the game, so I guess I should try to rescue Zelda now. I was able to beat one dungeon and I've opened up most of the map. I've also gone horse hunting and I think I have the good ones minus the Amiibo horse.

Spoiler

I also got a few of the Great Fairies opened up along with the

Spoiler

I've also found this is the one game where I actually use the Amiibos for something other than decoration. I don't think it hurts the game, but it is pretty funny seeing meat and fish fall from the game. 

Also, am I the only one that finds the shrines without beating them right away? I want to find as many as I can since I can just fast travel them when I want a power-up.

#26 tonyvx  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:34 AM

Here's some screen grabs I took of all of the traditional tunic sets you can get in the game!

Amiibo sets:

Spoiler

In-Game:

Spoiler

Also this one which though not a tunic, but still cool! (amiibo)

Spoiler

#27 DoctorZ  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

I just notice the small unlisted quest when I reach the desert region.

Some of them just gathering cooking supply if you take the time to attend the classes you can learn to make something new.

#28 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:57 AM

Game is great, whoever wanted motion control puzzles in shrines deserves to have their nose cut off. It's amazing to me  that Nintendo of all people released a real open world game that doesn't have level scaling or gated areas. I've died quite a  few times just running in to things like Lynels because I was in an area far beyond where I needed to be. That's the level of freedom and choice you should have...truly amazing in that regard.

#29 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3408 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Took a break to finish up Nioh starting back up tonight going to start getting all of the memories and hopefully get the master sword. Wanted to complete the other 3 divine beasts with the master sword.

#30 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

I decided to get one more tower last night around midnight, then one more shrine, then on secret shrine...and before I knew it the battery was almost dead and it was 2:30 AM. Amazing how well spaced things are and how exploring everything is worth the payoff whether it's something small or something huge. The shrines acting as fast travel spots is genius as it's core since it encourages exploration without a real penalty. That may be the best part of the game, even though it's extremely easy to die you never really feel like you lost much.