- - - - -

Zelda Breath of the Wild - gameplay discussion

#31 tonyvx  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

I don't wanna seem like I'm playing devil's advocate, but I didn't mind the motion control puzzles using the Pro controller. I think the ball maze puzzle was a weird puzzle to include (I do find it interesting the developers say the left the bottom flat so players could cheat on purpose), but all of the other ones are fine for me.

It was a weird adjustment since the motion control technology is different than in all of the various Wii controllers, I had a ton of moments at first where I was just leaning my controller or jerking it around and it wasn't doing what I wanted and it was infuriating. Then I realized I was just using it wrong and that it's very legitimately a 1:1 movement, and once I got used to that the puzzles were genuinely fun. Having a traditional controller and slowly spinning it around and upside down to control an object in 3D space that corresponds exactly with my movement is really cool to me. The motion controlled platforms and "light the torches" puzzles were actually some of my favorites in the whole game.

#32 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8271 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

I spent just about all day getting all of my armor sets to three stars.   Did about five shrines and had no other progression.  Tarrey Town is built though!  I think I'm at ~70 shrines completed?

Still haven't cracked the plastic on the hardcover guide.  Lovin' this game. 

#33 DoctorZ  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

I don't know if you can actually get this chest or it's part of the scenery.

Spoiler

#34 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8271 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

I assume you already tried using your Magnet to rip it out of the ground, or also that its not actually an Octorok?

#35 tonyvx  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

I don't know if you can actually get this chest or it's part of the scenery.

Spoiler

magnets_c.jpg

#36 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8271 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

ROFL!

#37 DoctorZ  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

-

I forget to use those rune abilities outside of dungeons.

I had got fire arrows too to see if it would burn the grass around the chest. lol

#38 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3576 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

Has anyone else kind of lost interest in doing the side quests? Seems to me like the rewards aren't worth the effort for the majority of them. I have decided to concentrate on the main quests so I can get the storyline finished before Mass Effect next week. I've obtained the Master Sword and completed three Divine Beasts so far. Just have the Goron Divine Beast and five memories to find before I move on the castle.

#39 tonyvx  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

Has anyone else kind of lost interest in doing the side quests? Seems to me like the rewards aren't worth the effort for the majority of them. I have decided to concentrate on the main quests so I can get the storyline finished before Mass Effect next week. I've obtained the Master Sword and completed three Divine Beasts so far. Just have the Goron Divine Beast and five memories to find before I move on the castle.

All the shrine quests are obviously worth completing, for the shrines. I ignored the other side quests for the same reason you did. However, going back and doing them after having done all the main stuff (plus shrines), they are super fun. It's not so much about the reward as they are about the quest itself, and showing you a new part of the world or exploring somewhere you wouldn't have otherwise. I'm finding all kinds of new stuff I didn't see at any point in the main quest or while completing all of the shrines. There are obviously a few "whatever" ones thrown in, a few very rewarding lengthy ones, and then a bunch in between. I have about 10 left, and a few I don't even know where they are. That's pretty exciting when I've already spent so many hours inside of this game.

Koroks on the other hand...

#40 tonyvx  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

I forget to use those rune abilities outside of dungeons.

I had got fire arrows too to see if it would burn the grass around the chest. lol

Use that magnet EVERYWHERE. They seriously put chests and goodies in every corner of this world, especially under water. 

#41 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3576 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

All the shrine quests are obviously worth completing, for the shrines. I ignored the other side quests for the same reason you did. However, going back and doing them after having done all the main stuff (plus shrines), they are super fun. It's not so much about the reward as they are about the quest itself, and showing you a new part of the world or exploring somewhere you wouldn't have otherwise. I'm finding all kinds of new stuff I didn't see at any point in the main quest or while completing all of the shrines. There are obviously a few "whatever" ones thrown in, a few very rewarding lengthy ones, and then a bunch in between. I have about 10 left, and a few I don't even know where they are. That's pretty exciting when I've already spent so many hours inside of this game.

Koroks on the other hand...

Yeah, I'm up to around 50 shrines done now and almost 60 Koroks found without specifically looking for them. There is no way I'm going to try to find all the Koroks since they're in such oddball places. I agree that some side quests are worth doing just for the fun of it but I'm not really a fan of the ones that don't have a destination marker and the quest giver only gives you a vague clue as to where to go. The fetch quests that give a small amount of rupees as a reward can piss off as well. I love the game but I honestly don't feel very compelled to go for 100% since there are no trophies or achievements involved. I realize it sounds silly to some but I really hope Nintendo implements an achievement system on the Switch at some point.

Anyway, I have all the Divine Beasts done with 4 memories remaining before the castle. Think I'm going to just look up the last memory locations instead of randomly wandering looking for the guy that looks at your album and gives a clue about where a memory is located. 

#42 tonyvx  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:37 AM

Wanted to share a really cool discovery/adventure I had today, via pictures! Had to go to Hyrule Castle for a side quest, and decided to make it a naked exploration... because why not. Turns out... (obvious location spoilers follow)

Spoiler

#43 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3576 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:01 AM

Found out earlier today that there are NINE HUNDRED Korok seeds and you only need about half of them to fully upgrade your inventory. Yeah...definitely not going for 100%.

#44 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8271 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:18 AM

I have more shrines done than Korok seeds found. 84 shrines to 81 seeds.  Definitely don't care at all about finding all the Koroks.  I still haven't cracked a guide for shrines but probably going to cap out at around 90-100 pretty soon before I don't feel like exploring any longer. 

#45 NeoMonk  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

ezgif.com-video-to-gif6caa0.gif

This is probably the greatest game of all time.  :-

#46 tonyvx  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

So, I have everything done (all shrines, quests, gear collected, etc) except for Koroks and the compendium. Not doing the compendium, just not really interested in that feature. However I just got a vasectomy, so I have to lay in bed for 3 days... so I guess Koroks here I come.

I think I'll use a map online for general locations, then figure it out when I'm in the area. Even though it's "cheating" it will still require a bit of puzzle solving depending on how they're hidden, plus it gives me a chance to explore the entire world once over again. If I don't check back in within a day or two, it's probably be safe to assume I lost my mind somewhere at the halfway point and tried to paraglide out my window.

Wow just found this, really great map: https://zeldamaps.com/?game=BotW

#47 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3576 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

Just looking at that map gives me a headache...lol. Anyway, finished the main quests and went back to finish up Horizon. Really missing the freedom of movement from the paraglider and the ability to climb anywhere in BotW.

#48 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

My biggest issues with the game is the lack of dungeons and memorable boss fights.

Has to be the weakest zelda game as far as dungeons go.

#49 tonyvx  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:40 AM

My biggest issues with the game is the lack of dungeons and memorable boss fights.

Has to be the weakest zelda game as far as dungeons go.

I feel like every 3D game has just been tweaking and redoing the OoT dungeons, so I appreciated the new approach. Then again my favorite Zelda game and favorite dungeons are from Majora. They could have put it in one more dungeon in the Hebra area for sure, but I'm satisfied with all of the shrines and the overall puzzle solving aspect to the overworld. I'm glad at least we're getting one more dungeon via DLC, though. Very excited for that and the other stuff coming.

Meanwhile, I'm at 60% map completion... some of these Koroks are surprisingly tough. There are horse puzzles, which was surprising to find.

#50 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:54 AM

A zelda game without dungeons just isnt a zelda game imo.

They could have at least made much better bosses.

#51 tonyvx  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:57 AM

You don't need 900 koroks to max out your inventory, fyi. It maxes out at

Spoiler
So there must be an extra reward for 900. Tempted to look it up but I'll wait for the surprise. I'm assuming probably just unlimited rupees like other titles?

#52 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8271 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:13 AM

oh it's a surprise alright lol.  up to you whether or not you click and find out!

http://kotaku.com/so...elda-1793276463

#53 Got_Wii   Nintendo Freak CAGiversary!   796 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

So I've played a little bit when spare time has allowed. Tried to use some amiibo but it says I haven't played long enough? Is there a certain time period you have to play before amiibo can be used?

#54 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

Man... The Master Sword makes the divine beast boss fights super easy. Outside the dungeons it's just a really good sword, but inside it's pretty over powered. 

#55 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Well... I finally killed Gannon, but I have to do it again because I
Spoiler

I'm still enjoying all of the other stuff. I think I have over 100 of those shrines to still get around to doing. I also don't have many of those seeds, but that's ok.

#56 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4437 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

So many times!

xj7BXiba047VMjxTnNIu8WA2c9RB30vOqfGGOPSf

#57 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4437 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

Man... The Master Sword makes the divine beast boss fights super easy. Outside the dungeons it's just a really good sword, but inside it's pretty over powered. 

I read about how hard those divine beasts are, but I haven't had any issues with them.  Part of it might be the potions I'm using too though.  I haven't had any trouble with the three I've faced so far and I only used the master sword on the last one I did.  

#58 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22674 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

So I just started this a few days ago and... is it normally to wander around aimlessly to get from point A to point B? Like, I'm supposed to go to Kakariko Village and I feel like it's taking me forever to get there on foot/gliding. 

And will I ever get a weapon that doesn't break? Kinda annoying having to switch weapons in the middle of fights (especially bows, which don't have a D-pad shortcut if your weapon breaks). 

#59 nickerous   3DS CAG CAGiversary!   428 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

Every weapon breaks except one, if I remember correctly...and that one cant be used all the time.

#60 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2551 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

And will I ever get a weapon that doesn't break? Kinda annoying having to switch weapons in the middle of fights (especially bows, which don't have a D-pad shortcut if your weapon breaks).

All weapons break sooner or later.