CAGcast #495: Defending Darth Maul

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Aaero, SNES Classic, Smart Sprinklers, Wonder Boy, Overwatch, and so much more!

Download (1 hours 21 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Harrys! Please visit http://www.harrys.com/cagcast to get your free trial set (just cover $3 shipping); includes a razor handle, 5-blade cartridge, and shave gel.
Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Infinity Signs - CRAYOutro - Super Nintendo Commercial
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two corrections from todays show:
1) Aaero has an easy/travel mode called "Chillout mode"
2) The arcade game I was thinking of was Tempest, not Gradius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMto2HJJSSA

You guys didn't make fun of the joycon battery attachment accessory?!?!?!   The joycons have a 20 hr battery life.   They are easily charged in the dock. Baffling accessory to me.  I don't get why Nintendo bothered with this one.  

But I guess it's just another charging choice.

The Xbox exec was talking about the console becoming more like the pc where old games still work on new hardware and where new games still run on old hardware just at lower graphics settings.

But he also pointed out that this is a challenge for the console business model because the hardware is sold at a loss in the console world and then made up on the back end over 5-8 years thru royalties on games/accessories and thru services.   

They can't just keep the same business model and then release new hardware at a loss every 3 years and expect to not see profits go down or losses to increase.  IN the pc world hardware isn't sold at a loss. It isn't subsidized.

That is what MS (or Sony) would have to overcome.   And not sure if MS could make this move if Sony doesn't because a shorter release cycle would mean less-subsidized hardware aka more expensive hardware.   And that would make it more difficult for MS to compete with Sony.  

AT the same time,  both consoles moved to the same x86 architecture.  I expect both to be backwards compatible from here on out.  They aren't going to make their own special hardware any more from the sound of it.  They use slightly customized off the shelf products that are easy to develop for.  Sony learned its lesson with hard to develop for architectures.   Plus the high cost of game development (for AAA 3rd party developers) these days has necessitated that the hardware becomes the same in these high powered consoles.  

I know it's necessary from a business standpoint nowadays, but I'm kinda sad to see arcades go to a per-person, per-hour rate.  Personally, if I get into a groove on a pinball machine, I can play for a long time on a couple of bucks.

It is nice to be able to sample a bunch of machines on free play though, and be able to walk away once the itch is scratched for each game.

Let's just say I'm conflicted on the payment model. :)

Wombat is correct. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake is actually really good.
That movie is a Must-See, unless you scare easily. It was full of characters you actually care about who didn't just brood and then punch things for a half hour. Snyder's next best movie might have been The Watchmen, and I'm not much of a fan of it. I absolutely despised how heavy-handed and unimaginative the movie's music was. It's like Snyder fit all the most obvious musical tropes in one movie. He's become a hack, absolutely no imagination. I'm convinced something very bad and life altering happened to Zach Snyder after Dawn of the Dead to make him not care for the audience.

And no I don't think the Cagcast's New York hosts have those New Yawker accents. OK, it might slip out once in a while, but no biggie eh. At least they both know how to pronounce Ms. Pac Man...

I'm not sure what Cheapy found so good about S-Town, I thought it was "ok". I've never listened to that podcast serial and was a bit worried it would attempt to beat me over the head with political agenda but thankfully is pretty tame in that regard. It was a bit of a roller coaster ride where I started off really not liking it much, then from chapters 3-5 I found it interesting and it ended with disappointment. It is quite well made but..... and this is probably a spoiler.... hardly anything gets resolved. It's like a bunch of episodes of "Lost" strung together.

Good show as always.

One thing to keep in mind about Infinite Warfare selling well was the bundling of MW1 in the special edition. Considering it's still the only way to get it, that definitely skews the number of people that actually wanted IW to begin with. Activision could use this tactic and remake MW2, but that would be the last time. No one wants a MW3 remake that badly.

You guys didn't make fun of the joycon battery attachment accessory?!?!?! The joycons have a 20 hr battery life. They are easily charged in the dock. Baffling accessory to me. I don't get why Nintendo bothered with this one.

But I guess it's just another charging choice.
The big benefit I've noticed is that it adds to the bulk of the detached joycons to make it easier to get a good grip on. I haven't been able to get my hands on any Switch yet to say whether or not it is worth it, but as a guy with largeish hands it might be good.

I loved the awkward quiet when Wombat started talking about giving someone a Harry's set.  So glad Cheapy and Ship called him out on re-gifting it in a friendly busting his chops kind of way.  Reminded me of last year when he re-gifted his Father's Day set from Harry's.  Ordered my own trial to support the CAG Cast and was really surprised by the quality of the razor and the shaving cream.

Love the show and all of Wombat's cringe-worthy moments (ie. a grown man having month-long birthdays, jealousy any time Shipwreck gets a review copy or anything else for free, his McDonald's swag, etc.).  Keep it up.

Good show as always.

One thing to keep in mind about Infinite Warfare selling well was the bundling of MW1 in the special edition. Considering it's still the only way to get it, that definitely skews the number of people that actually wanted IW to begin with. Activision could use this tactic and remake MW2, but that would be the last time. No one wants a MW3 remake that badly.
(Quietly raises my hand..) I'll take a remaster of any previous Call of Duty title. MW3 was actually one of my favorites, too.

One neat thing about the Overwatch event were the character interactions. It's also an easier way to get loot drops, but yeah it can get old.

I agree with Shipwreck on 300 being a bad film. But for whatever reason people were crazy about it when it first came out.

bread's done
Back