Horizon Zero Dawn - no discussion thread?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I know I'm late to the party but with work finally slowing down and giving me some time to game, I decided to pick up one of the many fantastic games released thus far this year and ultimately decided with Horizon. 

Only played the prologue area but WOW. I cannot believe this game is from the same company that released the KZ series and turned around to release this. I know I've only seen the tip of the world but I'm blown away by how good this game looks. I haven't been this impressed with a game since Uncharted 2. 

I stopped platinuming games until this one came out and made me remember why I ever did in the first place. Game is great, even for a weak story. I've hated the two times I tried KZ but this one was a keeper. Best advice I can give is experiment with all the weapons to complete the tutorial exp and find your niche. Also, you can slide under and climb over bigger dinobots (cuz that's what they are ;)) while fighting, which I feel are things people don't necessarily try since the game isn't heavy on hand-holding. When you pull it off though, it's quite rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found myself screwing around a lot and really haven't progressed the story much yesterday. I cannot get over how good the world looks and I love the combat... it's amazing that this is a game that's running on 4 year old hardware (really, even older). 

I hope I enjoy the story, even if you didn't, because I love the premise of the world/setting but also know that Guerilla doesn't have the best record for stories. 

I wish the PS4 Pro was powerful enough to run this game at 60 fps but unfortunately not. 

Honestly, the story is pretty stupid but the minimalist atmosphere storytelling redeems it. Like Souls games, you can just take it all in and decipher elements of past events. That and the combat were the main things I enjoyed the most.

After Killzone Shadow Fall I was really skeptical about this one and to be honest it was the first PS4 game that I paid for almost full price, 60h well spent. Im really excited about the DLC.

Yeah, there's some KZ influence in game for sure but so far, the story's got me pretty gripped. I'm 17 hrs in and haven't even made it to Meridian yet. Haha... 

But I gotta say, this game is seriously kicking my ass for an adventure game. I always play games on normal my first go and rarely struggle, but this game is relatively brutal. Part of it is how they just stick enemies/quests out of your league everywhere, but the other part is how, even though the enemies have a few patterns of attacks, you never really know how they'll react. Plus, some fights you think you're taking one 2-3 enemies and sudden there are 10. 

Also saw my first Thunderjaw... decided to take it on (I'm level 16, it's 25) and it was fucking fun even if I got brutally destroyed after taking down 1/3 of it's health. 

I went full on Hard and Lol my first encounter with Thunderjaw was having to fight it to finish the Cauldron. From all of the places they put one big ass monster in that crampy space. If it wasn't for all the bombs and traps that I had saved till that point, I wouldnt had of survived the fight. Still Rockbreaker troubles me the most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just fought my first Rockbreaker and I struggled but did beat it... basically had to use all of my health herbs and potions to beat him. I also killed my first T-Jaw... it was a damn fun killing something so brutal. 

I think my least fave enemies are the Shellwalkers and Stormbirds (the big bird, not the smaller one). I cannot beat a Stormbird for the life in me. 

Stormbird is a joke with the ropecaster thingy. Just root it with 3-4 ropes and make it your bitch hitting weakspots. It takes a while but you take literally no damage. It does eat through your materials fast though, so be mindful how many ropes you use.

I'm just getting back into Horizon now after a break to dig into Mass Effect Andromeda.  That...wasn't worth the break from this amazing game.  I left off after finishing the first cauldron.  Such a great game. 

To avoid spoilers, I haven't looked at any trophy guides or anything... but is one of the requirements for getting the plat to find the 60-whatever datapoints? I just realized that they show up on the map and am 4/5ths of the way done exploring the map and haven't really been looking for those. 

You'll need it for the targeting dummies and the power cores, unless you like wandering from POI to POI trying to find them all. Doing the cores during the main mission will save you a lot of wasted time later FYI.

You'll need it for the targeting dummies and the power cores, unless you like wandering from POI to POI trying to find them all. Doing the cores during the main mission will save you a lot of wasted time later FYI.
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that now... oh well. I've probably spent nearly 50 hrs on this game and I don't think I'm half-way through the story yet.

I found a corrupted zone with 2x Rockbreakers and holy shit, talk about difficult. Read some people say they only take a few minutes each... took me like 20 minutes with just the standard Rockbreaker. I thought the Stormbirds were bad, these things are something else.

I might also be doing something really wrong with my armor. I feel like I die pretty quickly.

Rockbreakers are kind of a joke in the sense they can't 'break rocks' lol. I know that zone and all you need to do is hop up on the rock arch and pew pew down on them. Trying to do it the legit way is bullshit TBH.

So I actually found an even easier way... across the river from those two Rockbreakers are 2 Ravgers. I just shot off their cannons, killed the Ravagers and took both of their guns (one by one) to a point as close to the river as possible, and use those to kill them. I needed to shoot the guns a few times to get the Rockbreakers attentions (arrows would not hit them as they were too "far"- which kinda seems like a pretty big flaw). But one Ravager gun was enough to kill off one, plus nearly kill the 2nd one, and I only got hit by a few rocks... they got real close but never close enough to actually crush me or anything.  

Yeah, Thunderjaws are the same way and actually kind of a pushover really. Just shoot off the two guns and they're pretty much done. Great farming for rare augments. I ran a stealth build that by the end of it, I was so high on stealth that I'd have to legit run in front of a dinobot to grab its attention. Stealth armor and mods kinda break the game lol.

Just so you know that you can "hack" all of them but corrupted ones. I once hacked a Thunderjaw and just sat back and watched the world burn.

Just so you know that you can "hack" all of them but corrupted ones. I once hacked a Thunderjaw and just sat back and watched the world burn.

I love fighting T-jaws. Those Rockbreakers and Stormbird are simply annoying though.

There's an area with 2x T-Jaw... definitely gonna override one and just the battle. Speaking of which, this game needs like... some kind of arena mode- where you can pit these robots against one another.

It's been rough free time for gaming the last few weeks but I finally finished this game and got the platinum to boot - since I basically did everything anyway, only needed to find one missing power cell. I really enjoyed this game start to finish. I really enjoyed the combat and the story but the storytelling and dialogue at points were kinda meh... I also wish that so much of the story wasn't miss-able. I get that they basically showed you where to find the audio/text logs but I still have quite a few gaps in my collection. And there were so many fun weapons available, sucks that 

It's a fantastic game, a flawed masterpiece IMO. And props to Guerrilla for actually delivering a complete game... and not one with chunks of the game missing or lots of glitches. 

Can't wait for the DLC.:D 

I got HZD from Qdizzle ( highly recommend his services) I enjoyed the game very much, awesome game but they really shoved feminism in there such women are leaders and they lave their husbands behind just to make some weapons at a forge and Aloy I don't even know what kind of sexism she faced as an outcast to make snarky remarks about women being in power and etc

That's pretty good timing on the Update IMO.  Might revitalize the game for some people who already platinum'd it since they added 2 trophies.  I may have to dive back into the game now.

This game hits all the right notes with me, but I think I'll wait for a sub $30 complete edition or whatever. My backlog has gotten TOO shameful. 

It's pretty overrated, much better games came out this year. The open world stuff is boring and typical of the genre. Go kill this. Go fetch that. Aloy is too much of a Mary Sue and the game goes overboard on the SJW/feminist stuff.  The gameplay eventually devolves into a mindless shooter instead of the stealthy, strategic game you think it's going to be. The last mission has you mounting turrets and rocket launchers and there's an armor in the game that makes you almost unkillable. It's a 7 at best. 

So this is probably a really obscure question but does anyone know if the game saves carryover for different regions of the game?

I recently got a PS4 Pro coming and this is the #1 game I want to revisit and maybe try the super hard mode or whatever but I need to re-buy the game. I traded it in but am thinking about importing a copy before Frozen Wilds comes in Nov. I got Nier I'm going to go through first so I'm not in a rush. 

I used to import speical editions and stuff a bit during the PS3 days and always found saves working on different regions to be hit or mix. Like my NA FFXIII and Uncharted 2 saves worked on PAL copies, but then Heavy Rain and Uncharted 3 saves did not. 

It looked pretty awesome but I think I just had my fill of the game earlier this year. With BF2 coming next week, I just wouldn't have time for this one right now anyway.

So I finally started playing this and holy crap it's great.  There seems to be so much to do.  I'm 14 hours in according to my save file and I just cleared out 3 camps - I think the mission was called Revenge of the Nora.  Over 2/3 of the map is covered in clouds and there are roughly a million icons all over the place.  So this is going to be a 100 hour game for me at least.

I don't even understand what I'm doing yet - I have no idea what weapons I should be using or skills I should be upgrading.  I have fire arrows, regular arrows, a tripwire thing and some grenades.  I get killed a lot by Sawtooths but I can easily kill a group of watchers now (I'm playing on Normal).

Anyway, is there an order to what I should be doing?  I'm not really sure about side quests, upgrading equipment, etc. 

Stick to the main quests as you can, difficulty doesn't matter unless you're on Ultra Hard, also locating and clearing Cauldrons let you "hack" more animals, you can "hack" almost every type, easier time.
As you progress through the main quest you discover new merchants= better gears. Skills tree wise, I would recommend upgrading stealth skills and the one that lets you have more resources from looting.

Yeah, by the end of the game if you're stacking stealth mods you can practically sprint past all enemies and they'll be oblivious.

I don't even understand what I'm doing yet - I have no idea what weapons I should be using or skills I should be upgrading. I have fire arrows, regular arrows, a tripwire thing and some grenades. I get killed a lot by Sawtooths but I can easily kill a group of watchers now (I'm playing on Normal).

Anyway, is there an order to what I should be doing? I'm not really sure about side quests, upgrading equipment, etc.
When it comes to weapons, experiment. I know a lot of people say you can keep using the same weapon and whatnot but I had a ton of fun with the weapons in this game. And not just the ones that cause damage, but the rope-tie down one was fun to use too.

Armor though... I never really looked at too much. I basically use the same armor for most of the game, and it was something I picked up from a shop mid-way through the game.

bread's done
Back