* * * * * 2 votes

CAG 4.0 Announcement & Feature List

#31 YawnAmuroYawn  

YawnAmuroYawn

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:31 AM

This guy hasnt grown out of the high school mentality but you put in the effort to break it down for him. My hats off to you Blackrock.

#32 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2933 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:39 AM

I don't really know it was that big of a deal. That's why I asked. If it really is then I don't care if it's added. I usually thank the OP directly in the threads they post if I find it useful anyways

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No its not a huge deal, the system can work as it does now and it'll still run great. Most people probably don't care, but it's still a nice thing to do. A lot of the deals in the bigger threads usually aren't posted by the OP as well. I also assume a bunch of people take their deals from the front page directly or on Twitter and never actually read the threads.

This guy hasnt grown out of the high school mentality but you put in the effort to break it down for him. My hats off to you Blackrock.

Nah, I wouldn't say that. I think he's just trying to weed out the less important suggestions so the more important ones don't get hindered, which I understand. Thank you for the support though! 

#33 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17633 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

How many of the most helpful CAG posters get the thanks and credit they deserve? CAG front page tweets out the weekly Best Buy and Target ads. But how many people know it's Beatles and Litepink who do the work of getting them early and posting them every week? Same for Draekon's PSN posts in the Niche thread. FriskyTanuki's PSN deals. BlackBeard's spreadsheets. 

Definitely a valid point.  When Throbahn tweets out the weekly ads, he links directly to the forum threads so credit shouldn't be an issue there.  Let me think about how it could work best.

#34 Grosbard   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   440 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Grosbard

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Definitely a valid point. When Throbahn tweets out the weekly ads, he links directly to the forum threads so credit shouldn't be an issue there. Let me think about how it could work best.

Great job on the updates!

For the user credit, Xenforo might have a user rank or rep add in that could be integrated...no idea though.

Off topic, do you just play Overwatch on PC/X1 or PS4 as well?

#35 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9562 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

Wow, I'm excited for several different parts of what is to come!

• App - It looks like we'll have the best part of the blu-ray.com app (collections) with the added benefit of being able to read forums and messages.  If this works well, I might abandon Tapatalk altogether because this site is pretty much the only site I use on it.
  • Notifications - If I can keep Chrome working at the office (= SHITTY NETWORK) this will be fantastic.  Or would it work for Edge too?

A few questions to those who know:

• Will the current private messaging system be a model for the new system?  This is single-handedly the best upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 for me.  Any time someone from another site sends me a PM I ask them if they have an account at CAG so I can use the messaging system here instead. :)
  • Since it isn't hard for a code-trade to go sour with either party saying that the other party sent them a bum code, is it possible to incorporate some sort of arbitration, something that would validate all codes involved?  I can't even think of the best way to implement something like this, so I'm just hoping to get the creative juices flowing. :)
  • Is it possible to implement a per-post ignore/block instead of a per-account ignore/block?  Sometimes someone posts inflammatory drivel on occasion but usually they are useful and helpful to the community, or sometimes someone posts a ani-gif of some dude gyrating his crotch in an exercise class and sometimes you just can't un-see things like that.  homerbleach.gif
  • Will the wishlist support monitoring of both physical and digital versions of games?  How customizable and flexible will this be?

Thanks in advance for any answers and all the hard work that is put into the site!

#36 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

• Notifications - If I can keep Chrome working at the office (= SHITTY NETWORK) this will be fantastic.  Or would it work for Edge too?

Yep, it works with any modern browser.

• Will the current private messaging system be a model for the new system?  This is single-handedly the best upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 for me.  Any time someone from another site sends me a PM I ask them if they have an account at CAG so I can use the messaging system here instead. :)

What specifically about the 3.0 system are you keen on?

• Since it isn't hard for a code-trade to go sour with either party saying that the other party sent them a bum code, is it possible to incorporate some sort of arbitration, something that would validate all codes involved?  I can't even think of the best way to implement something like this, so I'm just hoping to get the creative juices flowing. :)

Sadly as far as I know there's no way reliably validate codes.

• Is it possible to implement a per-post ignore/block instead of a per-account ignore/block?  Sometimes someone posts inflammatory drivel on occasion but usually they are useful and helpful to the community, or sometimes someone posts a ani-gif of some dude gyrating his crotch in an exercise class and sometimes you just can't un-see things like that.  homerbleach.gif

It's possible, but we have no plans for it at this time unless there's a big call from users for us to implement it.

• Will the wishlist support monitoring of both physical and digital versions of games?  How customizable and flexible will this be?

Yep, it'll support differentiating between physical and digital versions. A big part of the new system is how you can add custom fields to your records for sorting/filtering/displaying/searching, which lets you build custom functionality into your collections. (For example, if you wanted to see a list of all the Xbox 360 games in box 3 in your basement, you can do that.)

#37 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9562 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Yep, it works with any modern browser.

Awesome. Now I just need to get Google to rework how they implement their notifications in Chrome and then I'll be set. :)

What specifically about the 3.0 system are you keen on?

I like how the conversation is viewable on one page (or series of pages) so you can keep track of everything that was said without having to resort to quoting everything that was said in the past just to see it all in one message.

Sadly as far as I know there's no way reliably validate codes.

Understandable, thanks.

It's possible, but we have no plans for it at this time unless there's a big call from users for us to implement it.

And there is a good chance that the feature wouldn't be needed, because usually such mind-bending posts get buried within a few days (if not hours).

Yep, it'll support differentiating between physical and digital versions. A big part of the new system is how you can add custom fields to your records for sorting/filtering/displaying/searching, which lets you build custom functionality into your collections. (For example, if you wanted to see a list of all the Xbox 360 games in box 3 in your basement, you can do that.)

Sorry, I read back what I typed and I don't think I was clear enough.  I was wondering about monitoring the price of a game that you are interested in purchasing once it hits a certain price, either physically or digitally.  For example - a game might be for sale on disc at www.bestbuy.com or www.walmart.com and it would be on sale as a digital license purchase at www.xbox.com and it would be on sale as a digital code purchase from www.amazon.com or www.microsoftstore.com or www.cdkeys.com. Would it be flexible enough to handle that?

What you described though, I can't wait to see that in action. :)

#38 Strength&defiance   Dreamer, philosopher, poet - or an idiot as my partner calls me CAG Veteran   85 Posts   Joined 1.4 Years Ago  

Strength&defiance

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

I might just be a dummy, but is there a CAG android app? Couldn't seem to find one 

#39 phantomphoenix   Make It Loud! CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

phantomphoenix

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

I hope the "Happy Birthday" emails come back.

#40 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6665 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:19 AM

It would be great if there was a feature where a thread creator could block guests from reading it.

It's been requested by a few people in the Gamestop Trade In thread.

#41 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1844 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:20 AM

It would be great if there was a feature where a thread creator could block guests from reading it.

This would kill the purpose of Cheapy's business. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#42 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17633 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

I don't have a problem with this. Maybe we can implement in a way so that it's something that a thread creator requests and then it's approved by a mod.

#43 dennisb407   Banned Banned   5420 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

dennisb407

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

I like this type of board more than a vbulletin board.

#44 keeks7   Hide and Seek Master 's Degree CAGiversary!   72 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:39 PM

I'm glad this concentration of lucrative information all you guys encounter can evolve into a system/forum that works as best intended for the loyal .

#45 keeks7   Hide and Seek Master 's Degree CAGiversary!   72 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:41 PM

Thanks Cheapy,John ,BBeard and the rest of you deplorables.

#46 frolow   Official /v/ ambassador CAGiversary!   489 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

I don't have a problem with this. Maybe we can implement in a way so that it's something that a thread creator requests and then it's approved by a mod.

I'm for this.

#47 Keen314   CAGsiversary! CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

Is it going to properly handle smartphone photo uploads? I'm kinda tired of seeing sideways or upside down images on the forums.

#48 blinknot4   Not My President CAGiversary!   5886 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

Will there be a way to 'future-publish' a post or even keep a 'draft' going for a few days before you hit the Post button?

(For example, I do a weekly game release post every Sunday for my brethren in the XBL thread. It would be cool to work on this post throughout the week.)

Regardless of your answer, thanks Cheapy, John and crew.  :grouphug:

#49 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13452 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

As I was reading the update, I wondered if there would be an app and there it was. As much as I love CAG, it has never been truly useful to me outside a community forum. I'm very interested in the analytical side the update has to offer. It would be great to have a price tracker other than CCC at my fingertips for historical data and alerts on the go.

Oh and obligatory I miss CAG 2.0 goes here. ;)

#50 Mooplaid   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Mooplaid

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:50 AM

I'm excited for the update and hope to see it soon (soon soon, not Rockstar or Blizzard soon  :razz: ).  But however long it takes, seems like it'll be a really cool update.  A few questions though:

1)  Currently whenever I click a link on the site, Ghostery for Chrome blocks it.  I do not have this issue with any other websites.  Do you know if this is something that is addressed (if you've had anyone mention it that is) in the update?

2)  Collections - Is the list that we make here going to be exportable to Excel, PDF, etc?

#51 blackbeard4886   Banned Banned   3441 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

blackbeard4886

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:17 AM

Work is well underway and we hope to share a release date with you soon.

So any release date yet?

#52 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2516 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

So any release date yet?

Not yet - things are progressing nicely, but XenForo 2 is still in beta. A very rough estimate is around 2 or 3 months after general release of XenForo 2.

#53 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9562 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

Will we have the option to search for posts we've made in a thread?  I'm trying to find a post I made several hundred posts deep in a thread (and probably several hundred posts later for me) and I'm going page by page in that thread (100 posts at a time) until I find it.  :)

#54 htz  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

Will we have the option to search for posts we've made in a thread?  I'm trying to find a post I made several hundred posts deep in a thread (and probably several hundred posts later for me) and I'm going page by page in that thread (100 posts at a time) until I find it.   :)

https://www.cheapass...e&module=search

^You can search by member, date, and keywords. It should help you find your post faster if you know what you wrote and date range.

#55 SirConnery   I'm selling all my Game Boy games! CAGiversary!   932 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

CheapyD less logo? Say it isn't so!

#56 SirConnery   I'm selling all my Game Boy games! CAGiversary!   932 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:42 AM

Need any beta testers? 

#57 1mhot3K   DealHunter CAGiversary!   214 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

Late to ask about this possibly, is games beaten/current played getting updated?

#58 phantomphoenix   Make It Loud! CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

phantomphoenix

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Yes, I am not on the site as much as I was 15 years ago. Is anyone as passionate about the same thing after 15 years? And yes, the current incarnation of CAG is pretty weak, but we've got a HUGE update coming this year: CAG 4.0 Announcement & Feature List

Two years since the hack, and holy shit, more than 7 months since the start of this thread! When is CAG 4.0 coming already?! After (and since) the hack, a lot of shit was reported broken, a lot of shit was fixed, but a whole lot of shit was ignored and/or continues to be broken to this day, two years later... Fucking ridiculous!

Quick, easy, and provable example: and uploading files/images to it has been broken since the hack. The reason the date is a few days before the hack, is because it has yet to be fixed. Check it out yourself! You can find "User Galleries" under the "Community" header at the bottom of any CAG page. While you're at it, go ahead and attempt to upload an image.

I put a lot of time and effort in the CAG Games Database, trying to improve CAG, but never heard a single peep from you about it. John acknowledged the problem quickly, but my PM to you and John didn't get a response (wasn't even viewed by you or John on CAG). Only AFTER the hack, 3 months after I initially brought up the issues, did I finally get input from John and did progress start to be made. It's been 1.5 years since all work was abandoned, because the new CAG version was coming. Holy shit, I didn't realize it was that long ago! So that means CAG 4.0 was really "on the horizon" 1.5 years ago. Wow...

The only time you do really seem to pop in anymore is when there is controversy (e.g. AWD thread ban [which I feel indirectly prompted the creation of this thread], GS thread bans 1, and recent GS thread bans 2). I know it's a long shot, considering your diminished passion for this site, but I hope with CAG 4.0, we get you, CheapyD, the owner of this site, giving a shit about his site and community and getting more involved. One who is responsive, acknowledging, hands-on, and actually takes action when people report broken/wanted features, among other issues. And I don't mean for the short first few months after the relaunch. At all times! When a feature is broken and reported, I hope we don't have to be told to wait for a complete relaunch, because essentially "Hey, it just so happens that a redesign is just around the corner, and why bother, right?" But in actuality, it's been another 12+ months (and 18 months when maybe 4 people first learned about it) and there's no definite launch date, yet features continue to be broken. CAG is literally your source of income, and you neglect it.

With all that said, I still look forward to CAG 4.0. Hope it lives up to what everyone wants and more. And if not, I hope you and John will be standing by to change that.

#59 SirConnery   I'm selling all my Game Boy games! CAGiversary!   932 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

I hope that 4.0 is easy enough to post content that, outside of extreme circumstances, it essentially runs itself. Things have changed over the last decade, it’s not really practical to expect CheapyD to sit on the other end and tend to our every desire. I miss his interactions too but life happens. I’m sure he has a team of people to run things as needed and will be willing to bring more people on board if needed.

That being said, I’d like to see more blog talent brought to the site and integrated. There’s lots of great independent bloggers (and personalities in the gaming community) that would really fit in around here and become a draw to this site beside gaming deal info. Sure any of us can use the blogging feature, but many of us are just not bloggers. I know I’m certainly not.

Maybe CAGCast could decide on a monthly topic and invite industry bloggers to come to the site and post a short article that contributes to it or they participate in a round table discussion?

Plus I hope to see you guys as playable game characters again like in Saints Row. With the rise of indie titles there should be something they can incorporate your personas into.

#60 phantomphoenix   Make It Loud! CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

phantomphoenix

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:25 AM

I hope that 4.0 is easy enough to post content that, outside of extreme circumstances, it essentially runs itself. Things have changed over the last decade, it’s not really practical to expect CheapyD to sit on the other end and tend to our every desire.

Desires are one thing. I fully expect Cheapy and John to fix broken features, which previously worked fine. The News, Feedback & Site Assistance forum does not get very many posts and new threads. Being able to reply to all of them should not be difficult. I try to help whenever I can. It'd be nice to see the community help out, but I'm sure most users don't venture past the Video Game Deals forum.

Just recently reported a minimal problem that I doubt even the mods would be able to answer, but Cheapy responded quickly. That's all I really ask for: better communication. Acknowledge the reported problem, then 1) fix if an easy fix, 2) update us on fix (and regularly if it's going to take some time), or 3) tell us it's not fixable and maybe why not.