* * * * * 2 votes

CAG 4.0 Announcement & Feature List

#61 SirConnery  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:46 AM

I don’t expect full service for things I don’t directly pay for. Sure the site makes money from me buying something via a posted link, but I doubt they make anywhere as much as they did a decade+ ago. Maybe I’m totally wrong here, but I think everyone has a primary job/position/purpose that’s going to take place sooner then site requests. I’m perfectly ok with that.

#62 phantomphoenix   Make It Loud! CAGiversary!   2477 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

phantomphoenix

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:05 AM

I don't know who "everyone" is. Two people here: Cheapy and John. Don't know about John, but I'm pretty sure Cheapy's primary "job" is CAG.

#63 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

So CAG 4.0 any day now right? 

#64 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2524 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

So CAG 4.0 any day now right? 

It's getting close.

#65 SirConnery  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:17 AM

Will it release sooner then PS5?

#66 CarlosX360   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

CarlosX360

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

xenForo 2 is a great upgrade for a site of this magnitude. Not much really has been added to stock xenForo 2 package, but looking at this thread and the list, you guys are in good hands with the guys working on it.

If you need help to see what you'll be in for, you can just check any one of my forums: http://www.destroyrepeat.com All of them are powered by xenForo 2.

#67 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17773 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

We are working on restructuring the forums (read: a smaller number of forums overall) and I'm struggling on what to do with the "Video Game Discussions" section.  We have so many separate forums that don't much action.  I'd love to narrow it down to as few as many forums as possible (one would be amazing), but I know we've got a lot of specific things going on there.

Anyone got ideas beyond the status quo?

#68 Number83   ¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ CAGiversary!   10553 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

We are working on restructuring the forums (read: a smaller number of forums overall) and I'm struggling on what to do with the "Video Game Discussions" section.  We have so many separate forums that don't much action.  I'd love to narrow it down to as few as many forums as possible (one would be amazing), but I know we've got a lot of specific things going on there.

One for Console Gaming, one for PC Gaming.  Hardware discussion should be included and allowed.

#69 Darknyss  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

I think the GAF/Era method works well. One main forum for video game discussion with a sub-forum for Community/Official Threads. Platform specific forums causes too much overlap.

#70 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4299 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:44 AM

Platform specific forums causes too much overlap.

Sorry for the late reply, but I agree on this, especially given the number of multiplatform releases (and, to a lesser extent, timed exclusives) these days.

How about:
- General Gaming
- Console/Handheld
- PC
- Mobile
- Retro/Arcade

Also, the "Video Game Reviews" subform is rarely active, so getting rid of it may be worth considering. Blog posts seem like a better place to post reviews, anyway.

#71 CarlosX360   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

CarlosX360

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:05 PM

Your current structure is fine, the problem is the subforums. Move all the subforums into sections where they belong.

E.G/I.E:

Sony
- PS3 and PS4, PS2, Vita / PSP

Put "PS3 and PS4" "PS2" and "Vita/PSP" into "Sony" and re-name "sony" to PlayStation.

Same with "Microsoft," move the subforums into THERE, and rename Microsoft to "Xbox."

The next Xbox console will be the last of the Xbox brand, if any indication is correct - Microsoft is currently merging both Xbox and Windows ecosystems so that "Xbox Anywhere" supports Windows PC gaming. If this ends up being true, just leave it alone. PC gamers will go into the PC board in the future.

It's too late to put prefixes, because you already put "PS3 and PS4" as a single forum. It would be a nightmare to go back to your old threads and separate them by console.

This is what I did with my board.

#72 Josh5890   For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228 CAGiversary!   3029 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:37 AM

I think condensing as much as possible is the better idea. I would go with two, maybe three forums.

Video Game Discussion

Retro Gaming

Community Threads

But yes, less divisions for the forums would be better going forward.

#73 CarlosX360   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

CarlosX360

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:19 PM

Hey, @CheapyD, where are we with these updates!?

#74 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2524 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:23 AM

Hey, @CheapyD, where are we with these updates!?

We're targeting XenForo 2.1, so until that goes gold (which should be very soon) we're doing test runs on the import (we're using our own custom importer to reduce the conversion time from several days to a few hours).The update includes several giant add-ons that are completely custom for CAG, so testing those and quashing last minute bugs is a big part of what we're up to in the final days. That, and styling work - it's hard to leave the style alone at any point and say it's done, but any day now we should be happy enough with it to release some screenshots and talk you all through the new features. 

#75 CarlosX360   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

CarlosX360

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

We're targeting XenForo 2.1, so until that goes gold (which should be very soon) we're doing test runs on the import (we're using our own custom importer to reduce the conversion time from several days to a few hours).The update includes several giant add-ons that are completely custom for CAG, so testing those and quashing last minute bugs is a big part of what we're up to in the final days. That, and styling work - it's hard to leave the style alone at any point and say it's done, but any day now we should be happy enough with it to release some screenshots and talk you all through the new features. 

Excellent! Just remember to use the 1.5.x importer first. There's technically no real importer underneath 2.0. Most of it (the 2.0 importer) is in beta. The 1.5.x importer is more mature than the 2.0 one. From there, upgrade to 2.0, once you've felt like you got everything in working order, go ahead and upgrade to XF2.1 [Gold]. There's already reports of some site owners upgrading XF2 to 2.1, and failing.

And yes, while 2.1 is in beta. Yes. *shakes head in disbelief*

Just an F.Y.I.

#76 John   This post entitles you to one free Morty! Administrators   2524 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

Excellent! Just remember to use the 1.5.x importer first. There's technically no real importer underneath 2.0. Most of it (the 2.0 importer) is in beta. The 1.5.x importer is more mature than the 2.0 one. From there, upgrade to 2.0, once you've felt like you got everything in working order, go ahead and upgrade to XF2.1 [Gold]. There's already reports of some site owners upgrading XF2 to 2.1, and failing.

And yes, while 2.1 is in beta. Yes. *shakes head in disbelief*

Just an F.Y.I.

We're using a custom import system coded from scratch specifically for CAG, not the stock XenForo importers. The stock import scripts just don't have the performance to convert everything over within a reasonable time.

#77 CarlosX360   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

CarlosX360

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

We're using a custom import system coded from scratch specifically for CAG, not the stock XenForo importers. The stock import scripts just don't have the performance to convert everything over within a reasonable time.

Well? 2.1 is now gold.

xenForo 2.1 is released.

#78 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10577 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

Well? 2.1 is now gold.

xenForo 2.1 is released.

So we are that much closer now.  Excellent.

#PatienceIsAVirtue