* * * * * 1 votes

Nintendo Switch - General Discussion Thread

#1 PimpLimp   Pimpin Aint Easy CAGiversary!   1636 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

PimpLimp

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:47 AM

It's been out long enough and nobody has yet to create one of these, so I figured I'd get to be the special person to do so.

I see (and post) a lot of the news in the Switch Deals thread, and just thought it would be appropriate to create a thread in here.

First piece of good news is that Nintendo has finally released the Nintendo Switch Online app. But the bad news is that the app is currently undergoing "Server Maintenance" at the moment. However, considering that Splatoon 2 is releasing on the 21st, I'd expect it to be running sometime between now and then.

#2 DarthPwner  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Good thread! I have the app but it is no longer going through maintenance for me, but none of the options can be selected. Looks like there's some sort of gear shop for Splatoon2, other than that, I can't invite anyone or see who is online at the moment.

I'm getting Splatoon2 via Best Buy, but it hasn't shipped... Has anyone's shipped from Best Buy?

#3 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14039 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

I did store pickup for Splatoon 2 at BB...so I'm kinda antsy right now waiting for them to open. Splatoon was one of my favorite games of the last few years, so I'm ready to get into this one!

#4 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:54 AM

I have an app problem with the Switch Online App. Can't link my account. Every time I try, it crashes right back to the app. Tried clearing data, reinstalling, everything. I am on Android 7.0 BTW.

Anyone know of any solutions?

Thanks.

#5 justadude  

justadude

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:54 AM

I can't see myself buying anything but the first party games on the switch, which I'm fine with. I just imagine the third party titles will play better and be cheaper on the xbox.

That said my Switch sees the most gaming out of all my consoles in the past 6 months!

#6 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

I can't see myself buying anything but the first party games on the switch, which I'm fine with. I just imagine the third party titles will play better and be cheaper on the xbox.

That said my Switch sees the most gaming out of all my consoles in the past 6 months!

Switch has only been out 4 months  :shame:

Did Fast RMX die when MK8 Deluxe launched? I'm interested in RMX but don't want to get it if no one plays it online. 

#7 justadude  

justadude

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:00 PM

Switch has only been out 4 months :shame:

Did Fast RMX die when MK8 Deluxe launched? I'm interested in RMX but don't want to get it if no one plays it online.

That's my point dude, my Xbox has been a glorified roku for about six months, once I got a Switch about a month and a half ago it's seen more action that my Xbox did in over six months!

#8 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

That's my point dude, my Xbox has been a glorified roku for about six months, once I got a Switch about a month and a half ago it's seen more action that my Xbox did in over six months!

That sucks. You need more variety in your life. I'm looking forward to mario to finally put some real time into my switch. I only play tetris on mine once in a while. Lucky for me the PS4 has had a good steady release schedule this year and onward. Plus my backlog of unplayed & sealed games. I plan on getting a XBO too soon. It's the only one I'm missing.

#9 justadude  

justadude

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

That sucks. You need more variety in your life. I'm looking forward to mario to finally put some real time into my switch. I only play tetris on mine once in a while. Lucky for me the PS4 has had a good steady release schedule this year and onward. Plus my backlog of unplayed & sealed games. I plan on getting a XBO too soon. It's the only one I'm missing.

The fact is I don't have the time (or don't want) to sit down getting into an involved video game on a traditional console. What's great about the Switch is that I can pick it up and chip away at it for a half hour at a time.

Edit: it doesn't help there's not much I want to play lately on Xbox.

#10 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

The fact is I don't have the time (or don't want) to sit down getting into an involved video game on a traditional console. What's great about the Switch is that I can pick it up and chip away at it for a half hour at a time.
Edit: it doesn't help there's not much I want to play lately on Xbox.

I can understand that I guess. I do the same with all systems. I've been playing FF12 in hour long bites because of my schedule. I keep my switch docked at home so the pick up and go aspect does not apply to me.

#11 nickerous   3DS CAG CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Still playing Zelda on mine. Already finished it, but just messing around in the world. Still finding new stuff and doing side quests. I will pick up more games eventually. Waiting on a few to go on sale (Lego City, SF2 to name a couple).

#12 Strength&defiance   Dreamer, philosopher, poet - or an idiot as my partner calls me CAG Veteran   85 Posts   Joined 2.0 Years Ago  

Strength&defiance

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

I'd be very interested in getting a Switch, but as I've said elsewhere on this forum, I think I'll wait til a really killer bundle. I've been dying to play Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2. Just upgraded my PS4 to a PS4 Pro so I think I'll wait a bit and enjoy Ratchet & Clank. 

#13 Sinfulfate   The Podfather CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

I haven't played my Switch much recently. I only have three games(zelda, Mario Kart, and Has been heroes). I got pretty bored with Zelda after beating my first divine beast and haven't gone back to it. That game just isn't very rewarding. I haven't touched mario Kart 8 yet since I have no interest in playing that game against the cpu or random people online. And Has been Heroes sucks.  I hope Nintendo can get more recent indie games to the console, I would love to have Dead Cells on Switch. 

#14 nickerous   3DS CAG CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

Hoping for more games soon. Ready for something else, but I am still enjoying messing around in Hyrule. Just ordered a micro sd card and grip case for the switch. Hope the case makes playing in portable mode easier. Unless I get Rime, the next game I get will probably be Mario in October.

#15 ZerotypeX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3876 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:56 AM

If you guys haven't gotten Puyo Puyo Tetris yet, its a really fun game especially with friends/family members. A plus is the digital version is cheaper than retail ($29.99)

#16 Biggquis   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2326 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:10 AM

I'm scared to buy a Swtich.  I keep thinking that it won't be supported by 3rd parties and Nintendo will "pull the plug" on it prematurely, like the Wii-U.  That being said, I've loved every single Mario game I've ever played.  Has there been any solutions yet to get longer battery life?

#17 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2595 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

If you guys haven't gotten Puyo Puyo Tetris yet, its a really fun game especially with friends/family members. A plus is the digital version is cheaper than retail ($29.99)

I feel like I wouldn't play it enough to justify $30 though. The demo has unlimited plays of the basic stuff. For a lot of people I imagine the demo is all you need.

#18 Explicit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1570 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:37 AM

Any recommendations for a Switch game on the eShop that I can play online with my cousin and friends? Infinite Minigolf looks interesting, but I can't tell if I can face off with friends only or if it's just against random people online.

#19 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

I haven't played my Switch much recently. I only have three games(zelda, Mario Kart, and Has been heroes). I got pretty bored with Zelda after beating my first divine beast and haven't gone back to it. That game just isn't very rewarding. I haven't touched mario Kart 8 yet since I have no interest in playing that game against the cpu or random people online. And Has been Heroes sucks.  I hope Nintendo can get more recent indie games to the console, I would love to have Dead Cells on Switch. 

I got Has Been Heroes for $10 a few weeks ago. God it's a terrible game. One of the worst I've played this year. GS is giving $9 store credit for it. So It was basically a $1 rental. I  doubt I'll pick up anything new until Mario in October unless GS has a store wide B2G1 preowned sale by then. 

#20 Cnstntidnty  

Cnstntidnty

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

Anyone playing Splatoon?

You guys add your codes on the Switch friend thread?
Could get a team going.

#21 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14039 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

I play Splatoon 2.  I haven't got to spend quite as much time with it as I would like, but I do plan to play longterm.  I was S+ on the first game, so I am definitely looking for higher level players for team matches.

#22 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Picked up ARMS and Splatoon 2 used for $30 each on CL yesterday. ARMS is a blast in multiplayer. The beta was very meh, but the vollyball, basketball, target & the mask modes are the shining stars. Gonna try Splatoon today even though I don't play multiplayer shooters. Honestly I wouldn't have never played the games normally, but I couldn't pass on the price. ARMS is a surprise though.

#23 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14039 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Glad to hear about ARMS.  My wife played it with a child at her job, and she said it was actually kinda fun.  For her to say that (a non gamer), I was definitely a little more interested.

And being addicted to the Splatoon series, I'd always say $30 is an excellent pickup for the game!

#24 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

ARMS is AWFUL in single player though. Splatoon 2 is alright so far. First thing I did was turn off those shit motion controls. Going through the single player to learn how to play & get a feel for the weapons. Will update my thoughts after I beat it & try multiplayer. The art style & boss fights are cool so far. 

#25 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14039 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Awww...Splatoon 2 is much better if you learn the motion controls.  There is a break-in period, but once it clicks, it's excellent.

Very few top level players turn off motion controls.  You can be way more accurate and way faster with them on.

#26 Physio2  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:05 AM

Has anyone bought the Hori wired controller? Saw it today and it looks decent, and for $30 it wouldn't be nearly as painful as the $70 Pro or $80 Joycons, but I haven't heard anything about it before I saw it. 

#27 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:23 AM

I'm good. I'll pass on motion controls. I have no interest in being a Splatoon 2 pro. Lol! They are awful imo. It's much better to me without them. ARMS plays much better with traditional controls too.

#28 joecreed   Banned Banned   120 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

joecreed

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

I'm good. I'll pass on motion controls. I have no interest in being a Splatoon 2 pro. Lol! They are awful imo. It's much better to me without them. ARMS plays much better with traditional controls too.

I'm the same way man, you must be old like me lol

#29 Physio2  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Has anyone bought the Hori wired controller? Saw it today and it looks decent, and for $30 it wouldn't be nearly as painful as the $70 Pro or $80 Joycons, but I haven't heard anything about it before I saw it. 

I wanted to follow-up. Thanks to one of those eBay giveaway things I got $10 in gift cards, so I picked up one of these wired controllers for like $17. I have to say I'm impressed. Definitely kind of clunky and would defeat the purpose of a portable console, but if you need a spare and play docked it's not a bad $30 investment. 

I thought the controller felt pretty good. Maybe not quite as nice as the Pro controller, but for less than half the price I didn't really expect it to be exactly as good or better. 

Not a bad accessory purchase, actually!

#30 DarthPwner  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

So, I am excited about Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I am pumped that it is going to be such a long game and I am really impressed with the way they brought in all kinds of talent to create the Rare Blades. It makes me feel like they're finally heading in a good direction; I won't say the "right" direction as that is arguable, but it feels different and in a good way. What I'm torn on, is their stance on DLC.

I have only purchased DLC for one game, but I do have "complete" editions of games (Witcher 3, and Shadow of Mordor.) I tried the Witcher 3 DLC , but didn't quite get all the way through it. I guess I was just burnt out after I beat it because I played it starting last November all the way through March, just before the Switch Release. I will return to it one day! But I DID buy the Breath of the Wild DLC, and so far I am impressed. The Trials of the Sword was epic! Had a blast with that. I tried Master Mode, and I did fall in love with the game again, but once I started progressing through the story, getting fairies at the fairy fountain and upgrading my armor, the difficulty started to taper off into how it was in normal mode, so I put it down and kept doing things in the normal mode again. I am hoping the next part of that DLC is as good or better than this first half.

With Xenoblade Chronicles 2 already getting DLC and it isn't out yet, and it is being added to an already very expansive game, are you going to buy it at $29.99? That is almost as much as a whole new game, so is the DLC going to add another 40+ hours like The Witcher 3 did?

My question to you guys is, how do you feel about DLC? Does it disgruntle you because they should have included it into the game in the first place? Or are you ok with it so long as the game is very good and you'll judge based on that?

(I was going to make a new thread for this, but I just settled for dropping it into this general thread as it seemed appropriate...)