Nintendo Switch - General Discussion Thread

PimpLimp

CAGiversary!
It's been out long enough and nobody has yet to create one of these, so I figured I'd get to be the special person to do so.

I see (and post) a lot of the news in the Switch Deals thread, and just thought it would be appropriate to create a thread in here.

First piece of good news is that Nintendo has finally released the Nintendo Switch Online app. But the bad news is that the app is currently undergoing "Server Maintenance" at the moment. However, considering that Splatoon 2 is releasing on the 21st, I'd expect it to be running sometime between now and then.

Good thread! I have the app but it is no longer going through maintenance for me, but none of the options can be selected. Looks like there's some sort of gear shop for Splatoon2, other than that, I can't invite anyone or see who is online at the moment.

I'm getting Splatoon2 via Best Buy, but it hasn't shipped... Has anyone's shipped from Best Buy?

I did store pickup for Splatoon 2 at BB...so I'm kinda antsy right now waiting for them to open. Splatoon was one of my favorite games of the last few years, so I'm ready to get into this one!

I have an app problem with the Switch Online App. Can't link my account. Every time I try, it crashes right back to the app. Tried clearing data, reinstalling, everything. I am on Android 7.0 BTW.

Anyone know of any solutions?

Thanks.

I can't see myself buying anything but the first party games on the switch, which I'm fine with. I just imagine the third party titles will play better and be cheaper on the xbox.

That said my Switch sees the most gaming out of all my consoles in the past 6 months!

I can't see myself buying anything but the first party games on the switch, which I'm fine with. I just imagine the third party titles will play better and be cheaper on the xbox.

That said my Switch sees the most gaming out of all my consoles in the past 6 months!
Switch has only been out 4 months :shame:

Did Fast RMX die when MK8 Deluxe launched? I'm interested in RMX but don't want to get it if no one plays it online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch has only been out 4 months :shame:

Did Fast RMX die when MK8 Deluxe launched? I'm interested in RMX but don't want to get it if no one plays it online.
That's my point dude, my Xbox has been a glorified roku for about six months, once I got a Switch about a month and a half ago it's seen more action that my Xbox did in over six months!

That's my point dude, my Xbox has been a glorified roku for about six months, once I got a Switch about a month and a half ago it's seen more action that my Xbox did in over six months!
That sucks. You need more variety in your life. I'm looking forward to mario to finally put some real time into my switch. I only play tetris on mine once in a while. Lucky for me the PS4 has had a good steady release schedule this year and onward. Plus my backlog of unplayed & sealed games. I plan on getting a XBO too soon. It's the only one I'm missing.

That sucks. You need more variety in your life. I'm looking forward to mario to finally put some real time into my switch. I only play tetris on mine once in a while. Lucky for me the PS4 has had a good steady release schedule this year and onward. Plus my backlog of unplayed & sealed games. I plan on getting a XBO too soon. It's the only one I'm missing.
The fact is I don't have the time (or don't want) to sit down getting into an involved video game on a traditional console. What's great about the Switch is that I can pick it up and chip away at it for a half hour at a time.

Edit: it doesn't help there's not much I want to play lately on Xbox.

The fact is I don't have the time (or don't want) to sit down getting into an involved video game on a traditional console. What's great about the Switch is that I can pick it up and chip away at it for a half hour at a time.
Edit: it doesn't help there's not much I want to play lately on Xbox.
I can understand that I guess. I do the same with all systems. I've been playing FF12 in hour long bites because of my schedule. I keep my switch docked at home so the pick up and go aspect does not apply to me.

Still playing Zelda on mine. Already finished it, but just messing around in the world. Still finding new stuff and doing side quests. I will pick up more games eventually. Waiting on a few to go on sale (Lego City, SF2 to name a couple).

I'd be very interested in getting a Switch, but as I've said elsewhere on this forum, I think I'll wait til a really killer bundle. I've been dying to play Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2. Just upgraded my PS4 to a PS4 Pro so I think I'll wait a bit and enjoy Ratchet & Clank. 

I haven't played my Switch much recently. I only have three games(zelda, Mario Kart, and Has been heroes). I got pretty bored with Zelda after beating my first divine beast and haven't gone back to it. That game just isn't very rewarding. I haven't touched mario Kart 8 yet since I have no interest in playing that game against the cpu or random people online. And Has been Heroes sucks.  I hope Nintendo can get more recent indie games to the console, I would love to have Dead Cells on Switch. 

Hoping for more games soon. Ready for something else, but I am still enjoying messing around in Hyrule. Just ordered a micro sd card and grip case for the switch. Hope the case makes playing in portable mode easier. Unless I get Rime, the next game I get will probably be Mario in October.

If you guys haven't gotten Puyo Puyo Tetris yet, its a really fun game especially with friends/family members. A plus is the digital version is cheaper than retail ($29.99)

I'm scared to buy a Swtich.  I keep thinking that it won't be supported by 3rd parties and Nintendo will "pull the plug" on it prematurely, like the Wii-U.  That being said, I've loved every single Mario game I've ever played.  Has there been any solutions yet to get longer battery life?

If you guys haven't gotten Puyo Puyo Tetris yet, its a really fun game especially with friends/family members. A plus is the digital version is cheaper than retail ($29.99)
I feel like I wouldn't play it enough to justify $30 though. The demo has unlimited plays of the basic stuff. For a lot of people I imagine the demo is all you need.

Any recommendations for a Switch game on the eShop that I can play online with my cousin and friends? Infinite Minigolf looks interesting, but I can't tell if I can face off with friends only or if it's just against random people online.

I haven't played my Switch much recently. I only have three games(zelda, Mario Kart, and Has been heroes). I got pretty bored with Zelda after beating my first divine beast and haven't gone back to it. That game just isn't very rewarding. I haven't touched mario Kart 8 yet since I have no interest in playing that game against the cpu or random people online. And Has been Heroes sucks. I hope Nintendo can get more recent indie games to the console, I would love to have Dead Cells on Switch.
I got Has Been Heroes for $10 a few weeks ago. God it's a terrible game. One of the worst I've played this year. GS is giving $9 store credit for it. So It was basically a $1 rental. I doubt I'll pick up anything new until Mario in October unless GS has a store wide B2G1 preowned sale by then.

I play Splatoon 2.  I haven't got to spend quite as much time with it as I would like, but I do plan to play longterm.  I was S+ on the first game, so I am definitely looking for higher level players for team matches.

Picked up ARMS and Splatoon 2 used for $30 each on CL yesterday. ARMS is a blast in multiplayer. The beta was very meh, but the vollyball, basketball, target & the mask modes are the shining stars. Gonna try Splatoon today even though I don't play multiplayer shooters. Honestly I wouldn't have never played the games normally, but I couldn't pass on the price. ARMS is a surprise though.

Glad to hear about ARMS.  My wife played it with a child at her job, and she said it was actually kinda fun.  For her to say that (a non gamer), I was definitely a little more interested.

And being addicted to the Splatoon series, I'd always say $30 is an excellent pickup for the game!

ARMS is AWFUL in single player though. Splatoon 2 is alright so far. First thing I did was turn off those shit motion controls. Going through the single player to learn how to play & get a feel for the weapons. Will update my thoughts after I beat it & try multiplayer. The art style & boss fights are cool so far. 

Awww...Splatoon 2 is much better if you learn the motion controls.  There is a break-in period, but once it clicks, it's excellent.

Very few top level players turn off motion controls.  You can be way more accurate and way faster with them on.

Has anyone bought the Hori wired controller? Saw it today and it looks decent, and for $30 it wouldn't be nearly as painful as the $70 Pro or $80 Joycons, but I haven't heard anything about it before I saw it. 

I'm good. I'll pass on motion controls. I have no interest in being a Splatoon 2 pro. Lol! They are awful imo. It's much better to me without them. ARMS plays much better with traditional controls too.

I'm good. I'll pass on motion controls. I have no interest in being a Splatoon 2 pro. Lol! They are awful imo. It's much better to me without them. ARMS plays much better with traditional controls too.
I'm the same way man, you must be old like me lol

Has anyone bought the Hori wired controller? Saw it today and it looks decent, and for $30 it wouldn't be nearly as painful as the $70 Pro or $80 Joycons, but I haven't heard anything about it before I saw it.
I wanted to follow-up. Thanks to one of those eBay giveaway things I got $10 in gift cards, so I picked up one of these wired controllers for like $17. I have to say I'm impressed. Definitely kind of clunky and would defeat the purpose of a portable console, but if you need a spare and play docked it's not a bad $30 investment.

I thought the controller felt pretty good. Maybe not quite as nice as the Pro controller, but for less than half the price I didn't really expect it to be exactly as good or better.

Not a bad accessory purchase, actually!

So, I am excited about Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I am pumped that it is going to be such a long game and I am really impressed with the way they brought in all kinds of talent to create the Rare Blades. It makes me feel like they're finally heading in a good direction; I won't say the "right" direction as that is arguable, but it feels different and in a good way. What I'm torn on, is their stance on DLC.

I have only purchased DLC for one game, but I do have "complete" editions of games (Witcher 3, and Shadow of Mordor.) I tried the Witcher 3 DLC , but didn't quite get all the way through it. I guess I was just burnt out after I beat it because I played it starting last November all the way through March, just before the Switch Release. I will return to it one day! But I DID buy the Breath of the Wild DLC, and so far I am impressed. The Trials of the Sword was epic! Had a blast with that. I tried Master Mode, and I did fall in love with the game again, but once I started progressing through the story, getting fairies at the fairy fountain and upgrading my armor, the difficulty started to taper off into how it was in normal mode, so I put it down and kept doing things in the normal mode again. I am hoping the next part of that DLC is as good or better than this first half.

With Xenoblade Chronicles 2 already getting DLC and it isn't out yet, and it is being added to an already very expansive game, are you going to buy it at $29.99? That is almost as much as a whole new game, so is the DLC going to add another 40+ hours like The Witcher 3 did?

My question to you guys is, how do you feel about DLC? Does it disgruntle you because they should have included it into the game in the first place? Or are you ok with it so long as the game is very good and you'll judge based on that?

(I was going to make a new thread for this, but I just settled for dropping it into this general thread as it seemed appropriate...)

I haven't seen any recent "complaints" about scratched screens when docking and warped systems. Are these no longer issues?

Also, I want to get this for Christmas to play with my son. Is it enough to get a pro controller along with what's already in the box? Are a 2nd set of joy cons required? (Any controllers from Wii or Wii U workable?)

Any idea what I can get for the Mario Odyssey game code on CAG? I'd rather not take the chance on eBay, but am thinking I would buy that bundle and get physical copy of the game.

Thanks.

I haven't seen any recent "complaints" about scratched screens when docking and warped systems. Are these no longer issues?

Also, I want to get this for Christmas to play with my son. Is it enough to get a pro controller along with what's already in the box? Are a 2nd set of joy cons required? (Any controllers from Wii or Wii U workable?)

Any idea what I can get for the Mario Odyssey game code on CAG? I'd rather not take the chance on eBay, but am thinking I would buy that bundle and get physical copy of the game.

Thanks.
It is enough to get a pro controller. If you're playing a game like ARMS though, if you want the full emersion, you'll want a second set. I didn't care for all that as I just stuck it out with the pro controller and did really well in online matches.

You can probably get close to retail for the Odyssey code. The game just came out, but I bet if you want to sell it quickly, if you knocked a few bucks off retail, and no one has to worry about taxes, you'd sell it quickly.

Thanks.
If you did end up getting that and haven't sold it yet I'll pay the GCU price for it. That's one game I'd just rather have on the system at all times than on a cart. I ordered a copy from Best Buy and I'm still hoping a B2G1 happens before Christmas so I can also get Zelda and maybe Splatoon.

So, yeah, I was a day 1 adopter of both the Wii and Wii U but I held off on this system after not using either of those systems all that much. Plus I thought the whole tablet/dock thing was pretty stupid and didn't like the degraded performance on the TV issue. BUT... With Mario Odyssey being out and my son's birthday coming up and not knowing what stock would be like for the holidays I bought one a few weeks ago.

I recently picked up a Pro Controller for $10 off using a coupon (at Fred Meyer). From what I've seen, that's about the best you can do for one of those. I feel really weird buying a console for straight up full price (though I did order from Target with my Red Card so I got 5% off - whoo-hoo!) and a controller for nearly full price. But my trade-in game has really dropped off in recent years so I don't have much Gamestop credit (and none at Best Buy or Amazon either). Buying games for full price (even $48 with GCU) is also something I've never really done before but Mario Odyssey is an exception. Like I said I'm still holding out hope for a B2G1 at Best Buy or TRU to use on a few more games.

I read the previous post about not really needing another set of Joy-cons and that was going to be one of my questions. What about those joy-con grip things they sell? The ones that put them together into a pseudo-controller. Is one of those included in the box? Is it worth getting? Just want to make sure I have everything I need for my son's birthday in about a week.

Oh yeah, and I ordered a 128GB and 200GB microSD from Amazon from their Deal of the Day yesterday. I figured I could use one of them in a camera or maybe even a 3DS if they can go that high. This is still active by the way: $28.49 for the 128GB and $49.99 for the 200GB. https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra-128GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B073JYC4XM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511482255&sr=8-2&keywords=128+gb+sandisk+micro+sd+card

I wanted to follow-up. Thanks to one of those eBay giveaway things I got $10 in gift cards, so I picked up one of these wired controllers for like $17. I have to say I'm impressed. Definitely kind of clunky and would defeat the purpose of a portable console, but if you need a spare and play docked it's not a bad $30 investment.

I thought the controller felt pretty good. Maybe not quite as nice as the Pro controller, but for less than half the price I didn't really expect it to be exactly as good or better.

Not a bad accessory purchase, actually!
I have a question about this. When you say "play docked" do you mean the controller has to plug into the dock? Or can the controller be plugged into the tablet part when it is separated? If it is the latter, I could see getting a wired controller because then my son could use it in his room or whatever. But the dock itself will be in our downstairs entertainment center and a wired controller there is impractical (because the couch is like 10 feet from the TV/entertainment center).

IO I sent you a PM about the Mario Odyssey code. The system that I bought has the grip in the box. It works great. After having the system open for a bit, the only extra thing I'm going to buy is another set of Joy-cons for 4 player games like Bomberman. The thing to consider with wired controllers is no rumble and no amiibo support, if that matters to you. But overall the system and games are great.

P.S. My understanding is that the wired controllers need to plug into the dock because that's where the USB ports are that accept the controller plugs. I haven't found another way to do it, but someone else might know a work around.

I have a question about this. When you say "play docked" do you mean the controller has to plug into the dock? Or can the controller be plugged into the tablet part when it is separated? If it is the latter, I could see getting a wired controller because then my son could use it in his room or whatever. But the dock itself will be in our downstairs entertainment center and a wired controller there is impractical (because the couch is like 10 feet from the TV/entertainment center).
It plugs into a USB port, so while you *might* be able to get USB-C to USB converter to work, it would require plugging into the dock.

I haven't tried any USB-C to USB adapters to see if I can get it running directly on the console. I would guess that if it was possible it would be on YouTube? I haven't looked, but now I'm intrigued...

Thanks for the info guys.  The wireless one works on the tablet away from the dock, though, I assume, right?  I'll just stick with that and pass on the wired one.  Having to plug it into the dock kind of makes it useless.  It would only be useful if it could "travel" with the tablet part.

In other news I got my 200GB micro SD card from Amazon already.  I ordered it after midnight Thanksgiving day and got it in the mail on Friday.  I'm not even sure how they did that.

Got a Switch yesterday. So far I'm loving it. I'm switching back and forth between Steamworld Dig 2 and Mario odyssey. Both are great.

One thing the console needs is some apps. It would be great to watch Netflix and stuff on here.

Got a Switch yesterday. So far I'm loving it. I'm switching back and forth between Steamworld Dig 2 and Mario odyssey. Both are great.

One thing the console needs is some apps. It would be great to watch Netflix and stuff on here.
The switch would make a great device to watch videos on... Netflix and video from a sd card.. But pretty sure that won't happen. (streaming maybe...)

Any of you know the cheapest price the Switch has been? Or any good sites that will send an email when it drops below a certain amount? I can't bring myself to pay $300+ just to play Breath of the Wild (Even though it looks amazing). It would be different if they had a mainline Pokemon game better than US/UM already out.

I'm sure this has been answered before.. I currently own a Wii U.  I bought a bunch of virtual console games.  Does Nintendo plan on letting you transfer the license for virtual console games over to switch (when they get their virtual console up and running)?  Ideally they would, so I can sell my Wii U console and buy a switch.  

I just got my Switch a couple weeks ago and I'm genuinely impressed. I'm starting to build up a bit of a backlog already but they're all gonna have to wait until I finish Zelda!

Not counting the SNES Classic this is pretty much my 1st Nintendo console since the original nes. Is there any plans for any of the previous generation games to be released thru the eshop? Would love to find out what I missed.

Has anyone dealt with loose joycons coming off the stitch without using the release button? My son's he got on Christmas has started doing it with both left and right. I've read on the N's forums that it seems pretty common.

I'm curious if anyone who has had the same thing happen has any experience they could lend on how the process went that would be awesome.

Not sure why plastic would be used on a part like but gotta cut those costs lol.

Hah, so I'm not sure why I ordered that 200GB micro SD card.  So far there's been no need for it.  Otherwise, though, we have really enjoyed the system.

My son has played Mario Odyssey to death, and has returned to it now for the new Luigi balloon world stuff.  He's a pro at jumping and getting to hard places so it is right up his alley.  He has already gotten all the moons/stars in the game prior.  I could never master that hat-throw-jump that you need to get to a lot of them so I stopped playing after beating Bowser.

I've been slowly playing through Zelda and that game is even better than I thought it would be despite all the game of the year and perfect score hype.  So that's saying something.

We cracked open Mario Kart, too, and my son enjoys playing that online.  The shine is off Mario Kart for me though.  I really enjoyed it on the Gamecube, but each iteration after that has held my interest for less and less time.

I still have Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Disgaea 5 on the backlog.  And I regret not getting that cheap copy of Mario + Rabbids around Black Friday.  Will look for one now I suppose.

One thing I don't like about it are the need for the expensive controllers.  We still break out the Wii U for Smash Bros. and while I'd like a Switch version what I will not like is that fact that I can't use old Wii remotes with the wired gamepads on them.  Those are perfect to use so our family can get into 4 (and sometimes 6) player Smash sessions.  Right now I only have 2 controllers for the Switch (the original Joycons and a single Pro controller).  I'd be hard pressed to spend $140 for 2 more Pro controllers just for occasional Smash Bros play.  I could maybe try a wired controller but I see the Switch getting yanked off the entertainment center with my kids using that.  Plus our couch is a good 10-12 feet from where the Switch is.

I'm hoping that Nintendo allows the Switch to use the GameCube controller adaptor from the WiiU. They did it with the Pokken controller, so we can hope...or start a whiny online shaming campaign to get them to do it. Nah, let's just hope.

Could be wrong, but I think it does work, or maybe it works with an adapter. Either way, I thought I saw that somewhere. Apologies if that's completely fake news.

Ok.. I just bought a switch.  I also bought Super Mario Od... and Breath of the Wild.  Do I need to buy a memory card yet?  If so , is it ok to buy 3rd party?  Lastly, are there any Nintendo exclusive games that you would suggest (no reports from Wii U)?  thanks!

Ok.. I just bought a switch. I also bought Super Mario Od... and Breath of the Wild. Do I need to buy a memory card yet? If so , is it ok to buy 3rd party? Lastly, are there any Nintendo exclusive games that you would suggest (no reports from Wii U)? thanks!
Depends on the type of games you like. I would recommend getting a SanDisk card when you can.
Arms, splatoon2 starter edition gets released on the 16th, xenonblade 2 are some exclusive I can think of right now.
Best buy currently has Lego switch games for 19.99 (cheaper with gcu)

bread's done
Back