* * * * * 22 votes

Black Friday 2017 - The Epic Master Thread

#2971 jubeininja69   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   616 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

jubeininja69

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:16 AM

Why? Games are supposed to be fun. I just play something and then if it gets boring, I stop and just move on. Time is too valuable to waste on bad games or ones I don't have any desire to play. I might come back, but I certainly won't slog along just because.l, especially when there are plenty of excellent games i could rather be spending my minutes on.

or better yet, don't buy anything at all. i have a huge backlog and i know the games i didn't buy this black friday will even be cheaper next year when i finish my backlog. 

#2972 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2929 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:47 AM

or better yet, don't buy anything at all. i have a huge backlog and i know the games i didn't buy this black friday will even be cheaper next year when i finish my backlog. 

You know, I tend to agree with you but I'm not so sure this is true anymore with certain games.  It's clear the industry is moving away from physical releases, and the numbers back that up.  30-40% of games sales are digital now, and that percentage is only going to keep rising.  You have to think the incentive for publishers to reprint games is starting to wane.

I'm certainly not saying physical sales are going away completely any time soon, but I increasingly am of the mind that certain games -- once gone -- are in fact gone.  There will always be eBay and resellers but whether that means prices really drop all that much remains to be seen. 

Your comment was definitely true with the PS3/360 generation (I've picked up many titles I missed or were mildly curious about at mostly awesome or reasonable prices).  Again, not sure the same will be true this time.  I can definitely think of some games that will be hard to fid new, and I'm inclined to get those now.

#2973 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9125 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:44 AM

It's clear the industry is moving away from physical releases, and the numbers back that up. 

2013 spoke loud and clear in regards to how they feel about the digital future.  There's a reason why games like Uncharted Lost Legacy and Dishonored Death of the Outsider were packaged and sold at retail.   The people at Naughty Dog and Bethesda will tell you that stand alone retail games sell much better than digital DLC. 

Sure, digital sales are on the rise.  But physical console games ain't going anywhere. 

#2974 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2122 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Might be a bit off topic, but what's the mole poll for ?

#2975 RegretItLater  

RegretItLater

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

My Black Friday/Cyber Monday purchases

Target:

- Inside/Limbo PS4

GameFly:

- J-Stars Victory PS3

- Rogue Stormers XB1

- Sine Mora Ex XB1

#2976 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12413 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

2013 spoke loud and clear in regards to how they feel about the digital future.  There's a reason why games like Uncharted Lost Legacy and Dishonored Death of the Outsider were packaged and sold at retail.   The people at Naughty Dog and Bethesda will tell you that stand alone retail games sell much better than digital DLC. 

Sure, digital sales are on the rise.  But physical console games ain't going anywhere. 

So, so wrong.

Once the studios can cut out the physical retailers they can make far more money since they no longer have to deal with discs, printed materials, returns, selling at a lower cost, "bargain prices" etc.

It's coming.

#2977 Lil Frier  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

I never really found much to get. Ordered some replacement ear pieces for my Arctis 7 from Steelseries ($6.75 with free shipping, rather than $15 with $10 shipping). Also bought some CDs on MerchNow, but that's all the Black Friday shopping I did. Looked forever for a PC case, but wasn't really pleased with any of the options I found.

#2978 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2929 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

So, so wrong.

Once the studios can cut out the physical retailers they can make far more money since they no longer have to deal with discs, printed materials, returns, selling at a lower cost, "bargain prices" etc.

It's coming.

Yup, agreed. While I think the total end of physical is a ways off, I do think we will see publishers releasing far fewer physical copies of releases and more and more limited disc releases at premium prices. I can totally see game sections at stores going the way of CDs (i.e. small).

#2979 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

I dunno with as big as streaming has gotten I still see a ton of bluray and DVD movies

#2980 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2485 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

Even worst is I still have RE7 gold coming in for $23, Xenoblade Chronicles pro controller, and a few Echo Dots, 4 TB hard drives, and a Roku Premiere

Why did you buy vanilla RE7 on Black Friday knowing that you had already pre-ordered the complete edition which comes out like 2 weeks later? Unless you are going for a complete set I have no idea why you would do that. Lol

#2981 GoldenGod1   Banned Banned   35 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

GoldenGod1

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Only retards buy digital. Fact.

Except for PC. Sadly the PC market was dominated by Steam quite early. I suppose GOG is there but their selection is small.

I'm prepared for the crybaby to retort this fact.

#2982 boneless   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1853 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:17 PM

Why did you buy vanilla RE7 on Black Friday knowing that you had already pre-ordered the complete edition which comes out like 2 weeks later? Unless you are going for a complete set I have no idea why you would do that. Lol

I don't know why🤣. But seriously, I got the complete at the price glitch of $24. So since it hasn't shipped and could be canceled, I wanted to hedge my bets. Thanks for looking out though.

#2983 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2929 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

Only retards buy digital. Fact.

Except for PC. Sadly the PC market was dominated by Steam quite early. I suppose GOG is there but their selection is small.

I'm prepared for the crybaby to retort this fact.

Name-calling really necessary?  People have their reasons for buying digital.  I wish more people wouldn't, but that's the market deciding what it wants.  Can't stop it.  I'll just keep buying physical knowing it's coming to an end ... eventually. 

#2984 dragilores   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   126 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

dragilores

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:10 AM

Name-calling really necessary? People have their reasons for buying digital. I wish more people wouldn't, but that's the market deciding what it wants. Can't stop it. I'll just keep buying physical knowing it's coming to an end ... eventually.

Yeah. Buying physical is still king. Yeah, it takes space, but we own something instead of the right to play the game. And we don't have to worry about Sony or whoever pulling the game from the server to play it again. Like the case of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for PS3.

Sent from my F5122 using Tapatalk

#2985 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6722 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:51 AM

Thanks again to everyone that helped with the OP!!

#2986 FlawlessImage  

FlawlessImage

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:04 AM

Finally got my GameStop order, only took 12 days.

#2987 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

I know this is sorta OT, but on Black Friday,was the Star wars Battlefront 2 ps4 1TB bundle at Best Buy for $199.99?? My friend said he got one for that price but I don't believe him

#2988 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   3080 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

I know this is sorta OT, but on Black Friday,was the Star wars Battlefront 2 ps4 1TB bundle at Best Buy for $199.99?? My friend said he got one for that price but I don't believe him

The slim 1TB PS4 (no game)  was $199.99 all that week (I got one). The game included versions were not marked down. Perhaps he ran into a clueless employee who gave/shipped him the wrong item, so yay him. Either that or he's mistaken or joshing you.

#2989 nadohawk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1041 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

Finally got my GameStop order, only took 12 days.

Mine hasn't even finished processing.

#2990 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

The slim 1TB PS4 (no game) was $199.99 all that week (I got one). The game included versions were not marked down. Perhaps he ran into a clueless employee who gave/shipped him the wrong item, so yay him. Either that or he's mistaken or joshing you.

Thanks

#2991 govols7089   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

govols7089

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:21 AM

My Kohls order just shipped. I was honestly thinking they were gonna pull an Amazon on me.