METAL GEAR SURVIVE PS4 $10 E-Gift card with purchase @bestbuy

By including the e gift card as a discount on the purchase price. Then when you use it, you get another $10 off, its practically free money!
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do that? How do you include the e gift card as a discount on the purchase price?

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do that? How do you include the e gift card as a discount on the purchase price?
You can't and don't. It's virtual accounting. They're saying the game is $40, and with GCU 20% discount it becomes $32. You get a $10 gift card towards a future purchase, so it's "essentially" as if the game only cost you $32-$10 = $22 even though you're still paying $32 out of pocket.

Careful guys I preordered the game and I’m still waiting for my eGift card. Contacted customer service but they just gave me the “please wait and check your emails” response.

You can't and don't. It's virtual accounting. They're saying the game is $40, and with GCU 20% discount it becomes $32. You get a $10 gift card towards a future purchase, so it's "essentially" as if the game only cost you $32-$10 = $22 even though you're still paying $32 out of pocket.
That is what I thought. The way jacknicklson explained it, I interpreted it as if you could use the e gift towards the purchase of the game and still receive an extra e gift card. "By including the e gift card as a discount on the purchase price. Then when you use it, you get another $10 off, its practically free money!" Thanks.

Kojima is overrated ... this game isn’t as bad as some people are making it sound. I liked MGS ... didn’t love MGS II, IV aged poorly and V was unfinished ... This game isn’t amazing but it’s somewhat fun and decent for the price.

Kojima is overrated ... this game isn’t as bad as some people are making it sound. I liked MGS ... didn’t love MGS II, IV aged poorly and V was unfinished ... This game isn’t amazing but it’s somewhat fun and decent for the price.
This. When death stranding doesn't end up living up to the hype, everybody will hopefully come to the realization it wasn't necessarily all konami's fault and kojima is equally if not more to blame for mgs v being disappointing.

I like it for the deal but hooooly shit this game is getting crucified by reviewers...
I'm sure it's not great, but everybody is on the "let's hate Konami for firing kojima" bandwagon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. When death stranding doesn't end up living up to the hype, everybody will hopefully come to the realization it wasn't necessarily all konami's fault and kojima is equally if not more to blame for mgs v being disappointing.

I'm sure it's not great, but everybody is on the "let's hate Konami for firing kojima" bandwagon.
Both of you couldn't be more wrong. And V wasn't finished simply because he wasn't able to have his creative freedom.

I agree I am a long time Kojima fan. but Konami has to cut him loose. Do you realize the production cost of his games? The company was bleeding cash. Which is most likely the reason they went back to making gambling machines. now don't get me wrong Konami is could have parted with guy classer. the game is getting mixed reviews. right now game may be dead because it cost $10 bucks to create another saved character. so you can always use the $10 to buys a PSN card. either way this game may find it popularity surging when it his the bargain bin.

Both of you couldn't be more wrong. And V wasn't finished simply because he wasn't able to have his creative freedom.
So any other company would be fine with letting an employee have unlimited resources, time, money, and complete free reign over a project and not fire them when they have had very little to show for all that. Get real.

Question

If I return the copy I ordered, what happens to the gift card?

I haven't used it yet. I just don't want to be charged.

I like it for the deal but hooooly shit this game is getting crucified by reviewers...
Who is crucifying it? All I see at Metacritic is a 6/10 from Cheat Code Central and 76% positive on Steam. You can't take all the zeros from user "reviews" at Metacritic seriously since most of them have probably not even played the game. That said, I am a bit tempted by this deal. Didn't get to play the beta but it looks ok from the videos I've watched.

Not defending Konami but will you even need to make a new character? Are there different classes that you can only select on a fresh character?

I've never read a thread so full of people being salty over not being able to understand the intricate story of the greatest game series of all time before.

First time for everything, I guess. 

From the few video review/gameplays I watched.. Pretty much everyone agrees that if you look at it as "Survive" and drop the Metal Gear part... it's a decent game. 

And also the reviewers.. were kinda pissed because Konami sent out codes for the game for reviews... and forgot to turn the servers on, which you need to save your character... oops.

I saw this last night and decided to grab it, got the code about 15 minutes after picking the game up. Since I've played about 10-15 minutes in the MG franchise (lifetime total) I don't have any connection that others do. I watched the gameplay and decided I liked the idea since I tend to like these types of games.

As for the character slot thing.. I assume that there will be people that will want a single player save slot, and an online save slot.. 

I've never read a thread so full of people being salty over not being able to understand the intricate story of the greatest game series of all time before.

First time for everything, I guess.
I would actually argue that V undermined quite a bit of the story established in the first 4 games, as it exists with a missing third act. Rather than diving deeper into the Big Boss mythos we got a bunch of misdirection and a significant story gap with Solid and Liquid being left as kids. V is the equivalent of Boba Fett in the Star Wars prequels ... it could have been awesome but instead it shows everything but what you actually wanted to see.

Don’t you have to pay real money to create a new character? Yeah, this game is trash

Why does everyone suddenly need multiple characters at the same time? And no ... I don’t really care or need to know why. Oh and just to piss off the people hating on the game, I read that it’s actually canon by the end of the single player mode 😉

So any other company would be fine with letting an employee have unlimited resources, time, money, and complete free reign over a project and not fire them when they have had very little to show for all that. Get real.
I love Kojima when he gets things right, and it really blows that V is pretty unfinished, but a lot of it really does fall on him for how it turned out. The game was announced eons ago, spent all that time developing a fucking engine for it, and he ended up completely mismanaging time and money on things that weren't exactly game essential (Kiefer/Joosten.) Working conditions at Konami did seem pretty shit, but it's pretty much on par with how a majority of entertainment studios run their companies in Japan.

I personally won't be getting this game. Not for some blind allegiance to Kojima or a hatred of Konami, but because it seems pretty underwhelming and feels like some sort of DLC mode that could've been added to MGSV multiplayer. Don't blame Konami for putting this out, though. They made a massive investment on MGSV and to have all those resources sitting there unused would be pretty dumb from a business standpoint.

Not defending Konami but will you even need to make a new character? Are there different classes that you can only select on a fresh character?
For people that want to start completely fresh again I guess, but otherwise no point since SP/MP both share progression. It also takes awhile to become properly "MP ready."

As for classes, there are four in the game and you are free to switch between any one of them at will.

It's too bad this game is getting dumped on by folks who won't even give it a chance.  I'm loving it.  It takes some time to reveal itself, but this is a unique, and uncompromising survival game. 

Here is a $10.00 gift card from Best buy as compensation from the $10.00 you would have to spend in game costs when you get to create another character.

No thank you Konami, I would like to keep my games cost efficient.

For people that want to start completely fresh again I guess, but otherwise no point since SP/MP both share progression. It also takes awhile to become properly "MP ready."

As for classes, there are four in the game and you are free to switch between any one of them at will.
Ok, thanks for clarifying. Doubt I'll need to worry about another character slot then if I end up getting the game.

For some reason the game only showed as In Store Pickup when I originally pre-ordered it.

So once I picked it up, I got an email that the e-gift card was available.

Honestly, the game is pretty decent for me. The whole 'survival' aspect is fun and engaging.

Of course, the whole treatment of Kojima by Konami was pretty horrible, but I won't let that stop me from enjoying a decent game.

Why does everyone suddenly need multiple characters at the same time? And no ... I don’t really care or need to know why. Oh and just to piss off the people hating on the game, I read that it’s actually canon by the end of the single player mode
Dude, so not the f&$%ing point, and you know it.

I would actually argue that V undermined quite a bit of the story established in the first 4 games, as it exists with a missing third act. Rather than diving deeper into the Big Boss mythos we got a bunch of misdirection and a significant story gap with Solid and Liquid being left as kids. V is the equivalent of Boba Fett in the Star Wars prequels ... it could have been awesome but instead it shows everything but what you actually wanted to see.
V is just a side-story. It's a "Metal Gear Gaiden". That's why it's specifically not titled Metal Gear Solid 5.

V is just a side-story. It's a "Metal Gear Gaiden". That's why it's specifically not titled Metal Gear Solid 5.
Shame Kojima spent his final budget and time with Konami on a ‘side story’ ... V is 5 so I’m not sure I buy the whole argument. Regardless, they could have focused on a modern, direct prequel to MGS that would have been far more interesting.

And the save thing doesn’t bother me in the least, it would bother me if it was $10 to save ... it’s only if you want a second character, which for my needs is unnecessary. As others pointed out, that’s been a standard with MGO from the start.

Why does everyone suddenly need multiple characters at the same time? And no ... I don’t really care or need to know why. Oh and just to piss off the people hating on the game, I read that it’s actually canon by the end of the single player mode

Shame Kojima spent his final budget and time with Konami on a ‘side story’ ... V is 5 so I’m not sure I buy the whole argument. Regardless, they could have focused on a modern, direct prequel to MGS that would have been far more interesting.

And the save thing doesn’t bother me in the least, it would bother me if it was $10 to save ... it’s only if you want a second character, which for my needs is unnecessary. As others pointed out, that’s been a standard with MGO from the start.
Hey, buddy, bit of advice. If you're going to shill for Konami, don't make it so transparent, you fucking bastard. The posts in bold are some of the biggest piles of dooky I've ever seen. If you keep this up, Konami will dock your pay!

bread's done
Back