Late to the game.. Xbox one (PC) vs PS4

oh_chippah1982

CAG Newbie
Hey guys im new here but ive been checking in for a long time. Im an old gamer who never throws away/trades in, and I never upgraded to current gen. I do have a custom PC. My son is now beginning to play, and i was going to get an xb1s but with the gaming rig i can play just about all the exclusives on pc right? Im a big backwards compatability guy thats why i never jumped for a ps4. Any suggestions opinions? Also not sure if you can tell im super cheap so any tips on best time to buy qpuld be greatly appreciated!

M$ launched a program that AFAIK allows you to play everything you buy on PC on your X1 and vice versa. That said, I don't believe there's many titles now that aren't on both platforms at release or ported soon after, so your best bet to take advantage of every exclusive is getting a PS4. I honestly bought my X1 for the 4k bluray player (and it was $140 new at the time ;)) as I also have a PC rig for any exclusives. TBH though, Sea of Thieves is the only game I've played that is exclusive to PC/X1 in the past, oh say, 4-5 years. M$ hasn't exactly had a ton of action in that department lately. . .

I have had a PS4 since 2004 (OG model first, before upgrading to the Pro a year ago). Overall, I've been happy with my choice. The line-up of exclusives on the system is insane, but I do have a few issues, mainly with the PS4 Pro: no 4K BD player and how it's more powerful than the base PS4 but not enough to support AAA games at either 2160p30 (most games are 1800p30, checker-boxed 4K) or 1060p60 games (most games get 1080p with 40-45 fps).

I also hate how Sony completely ignores BC support... this, especially after seeing how insanely good Red Dead Redemption looks on an X1X. And for other games which didn't get the level of polish the RDR BC patch did, they all run better on the X1 and X1X. I get the argument of "you didn't buy a PS4 to play PS3/2/1 games" but to me, it'd be a nice feature. Instead, your options are to get PS Now (which is garbage) or pay for HD remasters. 

MS started this gen doing pretty much everything wrong but they've made strides whereas Sony's been slow to make progress in some areas, if at all, IMO... except in games. MS, for whatever reason, does not have that must own exclusive whereas the PS4 has tons of them. For the tired and true like Uncharted 4 to new series like Horizon which I did not expect to enjoy as much as I did. 

My advice is to get a base PS4 (not the Pro), since they can be had pretty cheap (I think some bundles were $200 last year). If money isn't a major issue, then the Pro isn't a bad option and I'll say some games still look stunning in fake 4K.  As it stands, as much as I love BC, there just aren't enough other reasons for me to justify the X1X. VR is another reason why I'd say PS4 over X1X. PSVR isn't all that great and only has a few games, but it's actually really cool and cheap compared to some other options. I can see VR playing a bigger role in the next year or two. 

I was thinking about picking up an X1X due to GPU prices but ultimately decided against it since there really wasn't anything on PC I was dying to play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually prefer the remasters as long as they're done right TBH. Revisiting old games on old consoles today isn't nearly as fresh as seeing an old game get a facelift, a la SotC that was just released this year. That game while long in the tooth blew me the fuck away in 4k and was far better than just booting up the PS2, or even the PS3 "remaster" where they just added some cleaner textures and AA.

Now they're talking about Bluepoint possibly doing Demon's Souls remaster and I'm just :drool:.

I remember a time when GOTY was only used for GOTYs.
I dont. I think the first GOTY edition I ever picked up was for Half-Life, which actually is serious GOTY material, but as you say, was a crappy GOTY that included the original game, the latest patch, and multiplayer maps which were free anyway. And Team Fortress Classic, which is also free anyway, if you bought any retail version of the game doesnt apply to buying the Steam version.

But the second GOTY edition I got was Homeworld, not long afterwards. Im pretty sure EVERYONE thought Deus Ex was by far the better game that year. This one included a soundtrack and hint book.

I am an old gamer too, back then PC didn't get much titles compared to PS3 and Xbox 360 which got me thinking that console is better when you are a casual gamer. If you are an enthusiast then you are better off with PC.

bread's done
Back